A new rumor!

I would say I will get some pics of any activity when I am there, but I cannot guarantee my condition.

Personally, I could care less that there are some people who think those who camp at FtW are poor and trashy. My monthly payment on my RV would buy me a lot of time at the Grand Floridian. However, I don't want to stay at the GF. I don't want to sleep with bed bugs and roll around in DNA soup. I certainly don't want to rub elbows with people that think because they stay one or two weeks a year at a premium resort automatically makes them superior to me. Most people who camp could give a rat's behind what kind of equipment other people have. We all have a love for camping and the type of people that style of vacationing attracts. Yes, we all ogle over the Marathon's and Prevost's, but seldom have I had an owner of one of those rigs rub it in my face that they have one while I own a Winnie. Disney Donna was probably the wealthiest person I knew who stayed at FtW. She'd be the first person to invite you into her Country Coach (don't bother taking your shoes off), fix you a sandwich, and crack open a beer. You won't find those kind of people at the resorts.

I agree with everything you said. Basically, campers are just nice people. If people that stayed in the hotel resorts visited The Fort, they would understand what we love about the place. However, do we really want that to happen. It's hard enough to get a site at prime time.

Lorna and I walked back behind the 300 loop this weekend to see what was going on. Most of the pipes and such you took pictures of were gone and buried. The only ones that were left were on the other side of the canal, on the side where the housing development is. They had two backhoes placed on the other side of the canal. Most of what I saw was about 30 bags concrete, individually packaged in 50 pound bags and a huge water truck. The concrete was being used to reinforce the road that the carriage ride goes on to watch the fireworks at night. Also, there is a path that has been reinforced with a tar-mix-gravel that seems to be used by the carriage ride as well, based on the tracks we saw. This path smelled of the fresh tar-mix we were walking on and our flip-flops showed it as well. The doe we followed was not fond of it, by the way, and went on her way in the woods. I saw no evidence of electrical work out there at all, but did see a lot of drainage improvements. There is no clearing of any kind going on out there and we had a great walk on the paths. Everything that was done was on the paths themselves, no other work was done beyond that. I find it hard to believe that anything is going to be moved over there based on what I saw, but I saw a snapshot only. I will be back next month to see again. Again, most of the stuff had been put away and the workers who kept coming out kept putting more stuff away, not working on current things. I understand that gray pipe is used for electrical conduit, however, and I have no construction experience at all, but can they use surplus pipe for drainage? I don't know. I only report what I see.

I didn't go over the RC area at all. I have no report on this area.

Lorna and I walked back behind the 300 loop this weekend to see what was going on. Most of the pipes and such you took pictures of were gone and buried. The only ones that were left were on the other side of the canal, on the side where the housing development is. They had two backhoes placed on the other side of the canal. Most of what I saw was about 30 bags concrete, individually packaged in 50 pound bags and a huge water truck. The concrete was being used to reinforce the road that the carriage ride goes on to watch the fireworks at night. Also, there is a path that has been reinforced with a tar-mix-gravel that seems to be used by the carriage ride as well, based on the tracks we saw. This path smelled of the fresh tar-mix we were walking on and our flip-flops showed it as well. The doe we followed was not fond of it, by the way, and went on her way in the woods. I saw no evidence of electrical work out there at all, but did see a lot of drainage improvements. There is no clearing of any kind going on out there and we had a great walk on the paths. Everything that was done was on the paths themselves, no other work was done beyond that. I find it hard to believe that anything is going to be moved over there based on what I saw, but I saw a snapshot only. I will be back next month to see again. Again, most of the stuff had been put away and the workers who kept coming out kept putting more stuff away, not working on current things. I understand that gray pipe is used for electrical conduit, however, and I have no construction experience at all, but can they use surplus pipe for drainage? I don't know. I only report what I see.

I didn't go over the RC area at all. I have no report on this area.

Thank you, Jen.

That is a good report.

This tar-mix-gravel that you reference was down on top of the sand earlier this year. The only reason I can think of for them doing this is so that trucks don't get stuck in the sand. I don't know of the carriages or wagons ever having a problem on these roads. To me, it suggests that they anticipate a lot of trucks going back and forth on the sand road. And I have to ask why?

And, that was definitely electric conduit, and not drainage pipes.

MandMLUVMMandDVC- What is it that you saw that makes you say "this is a freaking RUMOR folks. As in NOT TRUE. "

If the pavilion is not being moved out by the lake, then what is the electric conduit for?

And why have so many castmembers stated that the ranch area is closing and being moved elsewhere?

I'm not saying the rumor is true.

But, all of the survey markers and now the electric conduit are consistent with the rumor, and I haven't seen any evidence that it is false.

TCD

I know Melissa was there before we were and saw some things too, which I will let her go into. I know she is the one that took pictures, not me. (I was taking them of the doe, sorry) One of the main concerns she voiced to me is that most of the work was being done on the other side of the canal, not the side that is being rumored. Could it be that the electrical work is being done for the new residential work? I dunno. I do, however, remember a 4th of July or two where I was up to my knees in mud back there watching the fireworks because of those roads. I, for one, am glad they reinforced that road. (I also remember the smell of fresh out of the horse pee that about made me vomit, but that is a whole other story.:sick:)

TCD - I have to be on your side. The weeks of surveying I saw last year and the start of this year around TE and RC tells me something is going on over there.

I think the new vacation homes are just going to run 16 ga extension cords over to the camping loops and tap into the electrical boxes. Bobby told me that.

I think the new vacation homes are just going to run 16 ga extension cords over to the camping loops and tap into the electrical boxes. Bobby told me that.

I think you're on to something!! That must be why there is electrical grade conduit behind the 300 loop!!

(Uh....shouldn't you be packing instead of on the board?)

I think you're on something too, FtWildernessGuy. Oh, wait a minute, Des1954 said you're on to something. I think I'll stand by my statement.

I think you're on to something!! That must be why there is electrical grade conduit behind the 300 loop!!

(Uh....shouldn't you be packing instead of on the board?)

It only takes 2 seconds to stick an extra pair of underwear in my pocket. I may not even do that. FWGirl has been getting outfits ready for a week.

I apologize for not posting this Wednesday night as I said I would. But here are some of the pictures I took last Friday.

yes, it is electrical piping. and the job is close to being done. this is close to Bay Lake. It runs parallel to the canal for as far as I could see, to the south.
DSC06643.jpg

the supply of piping is close to the end of the reel. this is from across the canal, facing towards the 300 loop.
DSC06640.jpg

it appears that the remaining piping will just about finish about even to or behind this:
DSC06636.jpg

the pic that is missing is because I failed to bring the camera my first trip out. I will tell you it would have been the contracted workers taking a "break" about 4pm. They were resting prior to officially ending their work week & starting their 3-day holiday weekend. Very friendly, would have been a nicer chat if I spoke a bit more Spanish. They left around 4:30. The hourly construction workers working for a contracted company don't know why they are doing what they are doing. And they don't care as long as they're getting paid:)

as for what is going on around RC or MBYBBQ, I didn't make it to RC, and the BBQ joint was being used as a staging point for the barriers and makeshift bike corral being used for Sunday's marathon.
DSC06659.jpg

These may not "convince" you, and that's ok with me. Show me proof of putting a restaurant behind a camping loop. There would have to be major work done between that area and the Settlement for people to walk there. There would also have been site clearing and foundation pouring prior to the electrical work. By moving the restaurant, the mouse would lose a little money since people wouldn't be killing time waiting for dinner and visiting the trading post, the ring carver, or the DVC booth. My personal GUESS would be that this is going to the area where the new housing development's marina will be located. Go to mapquest or Bing & look at the aerial views. And it makes sense as Disney is doing as other developments do, they create a grand entrance, poor the roads, and build the amenities areas (marina, pool, restaurant, etc) and a few model homes. Then the potential buyers can actually see what they are getting for their dollars.

I think it's funny that a thread marked 'a new rumor' is played off as being factual and some are going out of their way to prove it true. Go ahead if you like. Why it matters so much to you I don't know. But, if it makes you feel better to argue about it any further, you're out of luck with me. I am not going to argue with you. If I want to argue with anyone about anything I've got a DH I could pick a fight with. LOL However I do look forward to looking at any "proof" you come up with.

I like a good argument. I'll take the opposite side of just about anything just to be a pain in the tookus.

These may not "convince" you, and that's ok with me. Show me proof of putting a restaurant behind a camping loop. There would have to be major work done between that area and the Settlement for people to walk there. There would also have been site clearing and foundation pouring prior to the electrical work. By moving the restaurant, the mouse would lose a little money since people wouldn't be killing time waiting for dinner and visiting the trading post, the ring carver, or the DVC booth. My personal GUESS would be that this is going to the area where the new housing development's marina will be located. Go to mapquest or Bing & look at the aerial views. And it makes sense as Disney is doing as other developments do, they create a grand entrance, poor the roads, and build the amenities areas (marina, pool, restaurant, etc) and a few model homes. Then the potential buyers can actually see what they are getting for their dollars.

I think it's funny that a thread marked 'a new rumor' is played off as being factual and some are going out of their way to prove it true. Go ahead if you like. Why it matters so much to you I don't know. But, if it makes you feel better to argue about it any further, you're out of luck with me. I am not going to argue with you. If I want to argue with anyone about anything I've got a DH I could pick a fight with. LOL However I do look forward to looking at any "proof" you come up with.

Wow.

No need to get testy.

I didn’t notice anyone arguing.

And, I don’t want to argue.

I just want to have a friendly discussion about one of my favorite topics: Fort Wilderness.

I’m not sure if you are directing your comments at me, or someone else, but I missed the part where “some are going out of their way to prove it true.”

I started this thread because there has been a persistent rumor being repeated by multiple castmembers that a new resort is going in the area of River Country.

Other Disboard members have posted that they heard the rumor about the TCD ranch being moved.

I can assure you that my source has camped at FW far more than I have, or for that matter anyone who posts on the Disboards has.

As for your questions about how this could be the site of a new pavilion when all that has occurred to this point is the installation of an electric line, I said in the very first post on this thread:

So, what do you make of this?

Here's what I think- clearly there are utilities being run to this area near Bay Lake. But, I don't see any plumbing facilities. If they are going to relocate the Backyard Barbecue here, where are the guests going to go to the bathroom? It's a long walk from here to the Settlement. Also, the Backyard Barbecue has kitchen facilities adjacent to it. Are they going to build those here, too? If so, they will need plumbing for that. Whatever this is, I am not buying the rumor that this is where the Backyard BBQ is going.

But, then, what is going on here?

Does anyone know anything?

TCD

So on this point, you and I agree: It makes no sense to me that they would move the Backyard BBQ area out here.

And, I also agree that it doesn’t make sense that only electric line was run out here, with no other apparent work being done.

And, others have noted the absence of any construction permits.

But, there are some facts here that need to be considered:

1. There was extensive surveying work done all around the area of River Country and the TCD ranch in late 2009/early 2010. Extensive. Discamper saw this and confirmed this. And, many have posted photos of survey markers, and other markers showing that soil testing was done in the area.
2. Brian, a popular castmember (who recently passed away) told several people that the pavilion was going to be moved, and that it would be relocated along Bay Lake in the area depicted in these photographs.
3. Electric conduit, and heavy gauge electric lines have now been installed in this area.

This brings us to your earlier post:

These RUMORS about a DVC resort going in and thus ruining the Fort and Bay Lake and the whole BBQ/Trails End, etc moving......this is a freaking RUMOR folks. As in NOT TRUE. Get it??? Ask people who really are in the know. Ask some of us who did private-eye style snooping this weekend and have the pictures to show what is REALLY going on!! RUMORS are false. (I will post the pics this evening after I've finished unpacking and can find the cord to hook camera to computer) In the meanwhile, I'm sure that LornaDuck and AuburnJen can vouch for the falsehood of the 3000 loop rumors.

Sorry, but your photos do not convince me of anything, one way or the other.

And, truthfully, I found this post to be a bit offensive. Like you were calling people stupid for even considering the rumor to be true, and suggesting that you and others are “really in the know,” thereby suggesting that others who have posted are not.

You have not proven the rumor to be false.

And no one has proven the rumor to be true.

It is just a rumor.

But it is a persistent one.

As for your “personal GUESS would be that this is going to the area where the new housing development's marina will be located,” that guess has to be wrong, because the Golden Oaks project does not include any land along Bay Lake. Golden Oaks is not being developed by Disney, the land was sold to a private company, and it is developing this project. The land conveyed does not abut Bay Lake. The deed is a public record, and clearly shows that the land sold by Disney does not include anything that comes close to touching Bay Lake.

Golden Oaks is not going to have a marina.

That's not a rumor.

That's a fact.

Here are a couple of documents from the Orange County public records which show the area of the Golden Oaks development:

This is a sketch of the area that is being developed, with some landmarks marked:

NERP-1.jpg

You can see this area depicted on this aerial photograph. I circled the rumored area of the new pavilion in red, and the Golden Oaks development in purple:

GoldenOaksLocation-1.jpg

If you look at the sketch, you will see that all of the area outside the development area marked with diagonal lines is wetlands. There are no permits allowing development of this area, and it is not part of the Golden Oaks project.

So, at this point, I would have to say that nobody knows “what is REALLY going on!!”

I personally would like to know why electric lines have been run to this area.

Why do I care about any of this?

I guess because Fort Wilderness is kind of my home away from home. I consider camping to be my hobby, and FW is the place where I camp almost exclusively.

If something is happening at the Fort, I want to know about it, good or bad.

I think that is kind of the point of this Discussion Board, isn’t it?

So, thanks for posting the photos.

But, this rumor has not been proven or disproven.

Time will tell.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter