"Adulting"

How do you feel about the word "adulting"?

• I use it.

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • I think it's cute.

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • I don't mind it.

Votes: 56 38.6%
  • It drive me nuts.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • I judge people who use it.

Votes: 40 27.6%
  • I used to hate it, but this thread miraculously changed my mind.

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
I don't think using the term has to do with not knowing how to be an adult, but rather not wanting to do the responsible thing you know needs to get done.

Going to the PTA meeting? Ugh, no thank you.
Standing on line at the DMV? I'd rather get concussed.
Getting a colonoscopy? How about I just take a nap?

Uh, they use it when whining about paying bills...

Or when taking care of their own kids. They brag about how well they are doing at "adulting" when they feed their kids 3 meals a day...

DD, age 29, recently broke up with a guy, 28, she was seeing because in her words he "sucks at adulting." "Forgot" to pay his car insurance and it was cancelled. Getting hit with fees for late CC payments or overdrawn bank account. And other things that a responsible 28 year old should have outgrown.

The red squiggly line appears under the word "adulting" when composing a post, so even the DIS disapproves of the word.

Okay.... I am going to add to my response.
Not only do I find the word cringeworthy... I am beginning to get to the point where I would, unfortunately, judge anyone who would be happy to use and defend the word.
(Don't tell me that every human being doesn't have opinions and tend to make ongoing judgements every day....)

DD, age 29, recently broke up with a guy, 28, she was seeing because in her words he "sucks at adulting." "Forgot" to pay his car insurance and it was cancelled. Getting hit with fees for late CC payments or overdrawn bank account. And other things that a responsible 28 year old should have outgrown.

The red squiggly line appears under the word "adulting" when composing a post, so even the DIS disapproves of the word.

In that context I don’t mind it.

When used by an adult woman on my Facebook feed (who lives a very privileged life) it gets on my nerves. It comes across as very Kardashianesque to me.

I imagine that there are some uses that may make me cringe, but in general I don't have any issue with using the word. I understand that some people need to express their frustration over things, sometimes those frustrations are about the responsiblities that we have to do. I have certainly complained about having to come up with a menu for the week or go to the grocery store. I don't joke about it being "adulting" but to me it's the same thing whether I use the word or not.

I have a shirt that says “ I am done adulting let’s go to Disney” so I guess I don’t mind. Lol

Saying that I don’t think I have used it in normal conversation but would not judge anyone else for using it.

In that context I don’t mind it.

When used by an adult woman on my Facebook feed (who lives a very privileged life) it gets on my nerves. It comes across as very Kardashianesque to me.

It's very easy to see why young people might get frustrated at having to shoulder burdens while seeing little to no reward when being forcefed a narrative in which it's possible to become a self made billionaire simply living a fabulous and privileged lifestyle and flaunting its benefits.

I have no problem with people using the term adulting in certain circumstances, particularly tongue very firmly in cheek and don't care if others choose to judge it all day long. Sometimes I privately indulge in judging people for petty things like excessive use of punctuation or believing moving to the Mouse's neighborhood will be a guarantee of happiness.

I was reading this thread before I went to Target for a few things, including a "Congrats on Your New Home" card for my niece. There was one that said: "Adulting like a Boss!" on the outside, and "Congrats on the new house!" on the inside. I choose the pineapple-themed card.

Having said that, I don't use the word but it doesn't bother when people do. I don't really hear it much in real life but more in retail/pop culture like the card. I've been a fully functioning adult for more than half my life now, but can empathize with the sentiment on some days.

Exactly! If you need to use the term "adulting," then you are not an adult.

In previous times, people didn't get a choice to be an adult or not. If one didn't get up and plow the fields & crops, then there would be no food come winter. Now, we have a generation of children who've moved back into their parent's home, because they can't make it as an "adult." (Not to be confused with parents who've had to move in with their children due to health problems or old age.) Remember the bozo who tried to sue his parents when they took him to court to evict him from their house? :rolleyes:

I love this video I saw recently by a woman who did a TED Talk where she said, "No one tells you that when you leave home at 18 that it's now going to be your job to parent yourself." In other words, be an ADULT and make yourself do the things you don't want to do. Things your parents had to make you do, or they wouldn't get done because (general) you didn't feel like doing them.

1.) it's a fun term that you are taking waayyyyy too seriously. Time to get a sense of humour when you need to drag out the 1930s and farm chores. Lighten up.
2.) Let's not paint an entire generation as morons. That's not true for your generation or the current one. I know some amazing adults in their 20s who are doing awesome and are very self reliant.

Good for her!

Yeah, I understand that technically it's "using a noun as a verb" - but we do exactly that here on the DIS every time we advise someone to "fastpass" this ride or "rope drop" that one, and nobody blinks an eye.
And if people here jumped off a bridfe, would you jump, too? A person or persons doing something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
And, it isn't the semantics
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The practice of behaving in a way characteristic of a responsible adult, especially the accomplishment of mundane but necessary tasks.

Right now I should be mopping my kitchen floor, but instead of adulting I’m playing on my iPad. It’s a light silly phrase. My next adulting task will be putting $300 worth of groceries away and making dinner. Adulting is easy, just pretty boring.

I use it a lot with my husband and friends. For us it basically means we have knocked another thing off of our To Do list we were dreading. I will admit to using it regarding taking care of my children. It is usually when they are being extremely obnoxious or difficult. :rolleyes1

Ohhhh, Katie.... I think I have a pretty good handle on it.!!!!
But, hey... nice try anyhow.

Here is some info from some online dictionaries/resources.
Perhaps you will find these helpful.

1. a branch of linguistics dealing with the study of meaning, including the ways meaning is structured in language and changes in meaning and form over time.
2. the branch of semiotics or logic dealing with the relationship between signs or symbols and what they denote.
3. the meaning, or an interpretation of the meaning, of a word, sign, sentence, etc.:

1. (Linguistics) the branch of linguistics that deals with the study of meaning, changes in meaning, and the principles that govern the relationship between sentences or words and their meanings

ALSO.....

Note
Semantics is commonly used to refer to a trivial point or distinction that revolves around mere words rather than significant issues:

To me it's one of those words that some people use to sound cutesy, or something. And comes off as ridiculous.

I mean, if a 12-year-old who took out the trash without being reminded said "I did a good job at adulting today" I would find it cute. But when 40-year-old soccer mom wants accolades for paying a bill, well...

I agree. OR if for example someone posted about being tired of adulting while dealing with a dying child or parent, a natural disaster, etc. I would feel really sympathetic. It just seems that the people I see using it (on facebook, etc.) just don't want to deal with the normal stuff of everyday life. I get tired of dealing with the everyday stuff too, but I don't think it's ever made me wish I wasn't an adult. I just wished I didn't have to deal with hard stuff.

Maybe my childhood just wasn't that great - I was one of those kids who always sort of acted adult, and would get put in charge of stuff. I just didn't always have the skill set yet to do what I thought I should be able to do. My kids were the same way. I have NO desire to go back! It's much easier now that I have more say and more skills.

Every time somebody in the DIS complains about a wedding, that's complaining about "adulting". I'm just sayin'...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter