"Adulting"

How do you feel about the word "adulting"?

• I use it.

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • I think it's cute.

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • I don't mind it.

Votes: 56 38.6%
  • It drive me nuts.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • I judge people who use it.

Votes: 40 27.6%
  • I used to hate it, but this thread miraculously changed my mind.

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
To me it's one of those words that some people use to sound cutesy, or something. And comes off as ridiculous.

I mean, if a 12-year-old who took out the trash without being reminded said "I did a good job at adulting today" I would find it cute. But when 40-year-old soccer mom wants accolades for paying a bill, well...

See you’re not getting it.
The soccer mom is saying it in jest. They are not expecting accolades.
It’s an expression of exaggeration.

It’s supposedly humorous .

Humorous / Ridiculous...Tomato / Tomahto...to each his own lol.

I get why people think it's dumb. I don't use it as I'm too old for it not to sound idiotic but I don't mind it.
My point is just that when people are using it as in your example they don't actually expect their twitter followers to applaud that they did the laundry. It's just part of today's way of oversharing on social media.

As someone said above language evolves - think back to the 60s/70s and all the dumb slang/expressions of that decade. The old people then probably thought it was as ridiculous as you do this generation's slang.
(the fuzz, the pigs, far out, The Establishment, square, groovy, dig it)

I think that depends on who's using it. On occasion I've seen it used that way - sort of like "Calgon take me away."

However, in my own experience generally when I've seen it, it's from two pretty immature people I know on facebook who really aren't handling adulthood well. It's not very funny, it's just sad. I honestly hurt for them and for their families that they are having such a hard time handling their responsibilities.

Obviously, everyone will know people who use the word differently. Some of us will like it, some won't. I'm not sure why some people are dead set that all of us are supposed to find it amusing.

Last edited:
I get why people think it's dumb. I don't use it as I'm too old for it not to sound idiotic but I don't mind it.
My point is just that when people are using it as in your example they don't actually expect their twitter followers to applaud that they did the laundry. It's just part of today's way of oversharing on social media.

As someone said above language evolves - think back to the 60s/70s and all the dumb slang/expressions of that decade. The old people then probably thought it was as ridiculous as you do this generation's slang.

I think slang had been used as long as there has been language.

I read letters my grandparents received in the late 1930s, 40s, and 50s (when my grand parents would have been 18 plus) there was slang in those letters that we don't use.

I loved getting that glimpse into their youth.

My 17 year old daughter used a word the other day in a way that I had never heard before. Had to ask what it meant.

Sometimes I privately indulge in judging people for petty things like excessive use of punctuation or believing moving to the Mouse's neighborhood will be a guarantee of happiness.

Me too. Those of us who’ve been kicking around awhile know that it’s more likely a guarantee of homelessness, not happiness.

I just bought my first house an the term has been used a lot when I've found issues. I've told my mom and others I'm done adulting for now. My mom and others also say welcome to adulting. I see no harm in the use as it can make a stressful situation seem less bad in that tense.

There are a ton of things I have to do that I hate to do that I guess would fall under the broad definition of adulting. It doesn’t mean I don’t do them, or don’t do them responsibly and to the best of my ability. They just really drain the positive energy right out of me. But, if the Powerball fates were to smile on me tonight, I would happily pay someone else to take care of those tasks for me and would not feel any less of an adult for doing so.

In their defense, I'm younger than that generation & I also think these words/terms are ridiculous. Everytime I see them, I think of excessive drug use. :laughing:

Last edited:

If they're using it to be funny, then they need new material. It's about as funny as telling someone that the grass looks green.

They all just needed to find a chic new one-word expression so they don't have to say...
I am a immature lazy pathetic person, so it is just too bad I have to do this-that-the-other.
I should be entitled and above such responsibilities.

Depends on how it’s used. I get it. It’s just another word created due to social media/online communities due to certain total character limits. So seeing it or reading it, I’m fine. Yet hearing it out loud in conversation makes me cringe.

If you can use "Kidding" then why can't you use "adulting"? Language evolves.

You are free to use it. And I am free to think it sounds really ridiculous and to judge you for it!

I'm not on social media other than here and a few Facebook friends. The only place I have seen it is on Disney World Tshirts (yuk!) and this website.

Reminds me of the people in my area who say the clothes need washed. Lack of 'to be' is common. It sounds bad to me.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the term, for a lot of reasons previously stated by other posters.

Not sure why substitutions have to be made to sound "cute," when you can just say what you want to say!

"I got tired of dusting and decided to go out for walk in the park."
vs.
"Taking a walk sure beats adulting any day!"

I know I shouldn't judge, but I know which one sounds more mature to me.

See, the above is yet another example of how this is a very very negative word/term.

Adults take walks... (In fact, as an adult, I try to 'walk' every day possible)
Don't adults enjoy an evening with friends over drinks, etc?

But, if it is actually being responsible, it is just an unthinkable negative, a 'responsibility' or task, that one should NEVER, EVER, have to spend time doing. Good God Forbid.

It shows entitlement, as well.

It is just another way of saying I want to be an immature person who should never be expected to have to be responsible for anything that I just don't want to do. 'Adulting' is just a new way of saying that, without having to actually type it out, and admit it.

it is whining.... Like the perpetual five year old.... "BUT I DON'T WANNA !!!!!!!!" "BUT I DON'T WANNA !!!!!!!!" "BUT I DON'T WANNA !!!!!!!!"

After a while, it is like fingers on a chalk board!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter