Cases rising or dropping by you?

You are constantly cherry-picking ONE fact -- from only ONE day -- which means nothing, but it matches what you want to say. You're not posting information; you're just trying to justify your narrative.

Nobody is saying Florida is out of the woods. We have a LONG way to go.

I’m not sure what you think that @ORD2KOA linked is what you are responding to about. That article was talking about 7-day average of daily New Hospitalizations.

Nothing about 1 data from 1 day.

You, posted charts of 3 different things: daily new cases, current total hospitalizations, and daily new deaths. None of which is the same as daily new hospitalizations.

Here's another example of taking ONE factoid from ONE day as if it were important. Our formerly decent (but now bankrupt) newspaper -- the Miami Herald -- grasped at one straw this morning.

FLORIDA HAD ONLY 4,155 NEW CASES YESTERDAY!!! Woo hoo...:dance3:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article244846917.html
Is 4,000 new cases a low number? Yes, for Florida it is. Is 4,000 better than 8,000? Yes, of course.

But you have to put things in perspective. We only had 58,000 test reports vs. the 90,000 - 100,000 tests in previous days. So OF COURSE the number of new cases were lower.

The fact is the numbers have been pretty consistent for the last 5 days -- a positivity rate of between 8.3% - 10%, with today's number being 8.60% vs. yesterday's 8.47%.

Better than the numbers going up, and it's good to see the continued plateauing at the lower level -- but we have a LONG way to go.
https://www.local10.com/news/local/...da-latest-numbers-covid-19-cases-deaths-data/

Two stats that count & neither are being reported with anything near accuracy because they are really the only ones that actually count:

1. How many people are actually in the hospital BECAUSE of Covid?

2. How many people have actually died FROM Covid?

......."Can you still get Regular Sick or is everything still Corona?"

Two stats that count & neither are being reported with anything near accuracy because they are really the only ones that actually count:

1. How many people are actually in the hospital BECAUSE of Covid?

2. How many people have actually died FROM Covid?

......."Can you still get Regular Sick or is everything still Corona?"
I find this very frustrating too.It seems like some people end up getting tested while being treated for something else and they are covid positive. I also have a sneaking suspicion that if you tested every single person in this country, more people would be positive than you think. I don't know. This whole thing seems unbelievable. Now all of a sudden kids are testing positive - why all of a sudden? It just seems odd.

I find this very frustrating too.It seems like some people end up getting tested while being treated for something else and they are covid positive. I also have a sneaking suspicion that if you tested every single person in this country, more people would be positive than you think. I don't know. This whole thing seems unbelievable. Now all of a sudden kids are testing positive - why all of a sudden? It just seems odd.

They are either getting tested because their school systems are requiring it before they can open or once they have a student who is positive, they are testing their contacts.

Maybe kids are testing positive because localities finally recently started testing them.
Why they were generally excluded before, I don't know. Unless maybe having few stats made opening schools easier.....

I also have a sneaking suspicion that if you tested every single person in this country, more people would be positive than you think.
I've only seen a couple of studies where scientists tested everyone in a population. One was in Italy and the other was in Germany, I think. In both small studies (<3,000 in each study, IIRC) about 15% came back positive...and almost none of them were symptomatic.

Kids weren't just all of a sudden testing positive. I'm not sure where you got that.

The immune system response in children may be that they don't exhibit the systems as much. Testing was generally more focused on more vulnerable populations especially elders and those in the workforce who have constant contact with the general population.

As schools start up there becomes a different focus towards students and this goes for preK-12 and college level (universities all over are talking about testing their students). As summer sports and activities (like camps and whatnot) started up more youths were getting tests either preventative or after the fact due to exposures.

As for your sneaking suspicion regarding testing every person you don't need to have a suspicion about it and perhaps you were unaware (which is fine just seeking to give you the information)..they've been saying for many months now. Literally every news story locally for me about COVID numbers says the following "The actual number of cases is thought to be far higher because people can be infected without feeling ill and because of a lack of testing, particularly early in the pandemic." which has been the rhetoric for a long time.

A few months ago they were talking about 8 some million people may have had it without it being tallied due to extrapolation of antibody tests.

Florida reported 91 deaths today, 35 were from my county. It’s either a data dump or a really bad weekend.
Not criticizing you, Pyotr, but that's the problem with one-off statistics. No context, no comparison, and really zero useful information.

First of all, death reports bounce all over the place so looking at one day's number is totally useless.

Second, 91 is a relatively LOW number for one day for the entire state, but death stats are typically reported several days after the fact and with no consistency at all. Over the last 7 days, Florida has reported a low of 77 deaths and a high of 245.

And finally, for Manatee County to have 38% of the states deaths is obviously crazy.

Meaningless information.

Last edited:
Not criticizing you, Pyotr, but that's the problem with one-off statistics. No context, no comparison, and really zero useful information.

First of all, death reports bounce all over the place so looking at one day's number is totally useless.

Second, 91 is a relatively LOW number for one day for the entire state, but death stats are typically reported several days after the fact and with no consistency at all. Over the last 7 days, Florida has reported a low of 77 deaths and a high of 245.

And finally, for Manatee County to have 38% of the states deaths is obviously crazy.

Meaningless information.

It is completely meaningless and obviously a data dump. People shouldn’t get too excited about 1 day. The reported deaths could have happened up to two weeks ago.

Things are getting better. Hospitals in Manatee are starting to do elective surgeries again.

Meaningless information.
Upon further review, 19 deaths happened last weekend and the rest were backlogged. Our chief medical examiner apologized for the delay in reporting.

“We didn’t suddenly have 35 deaths in one day but we did have a lot of deaths last weekend,” Vega said. “I was not as diligent as I could have or should have been in reporting those.”

Read more here: https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavirus/article244848342.html#storylink=cpy

Upon further review, 19 deaths happened last weekend and the rest were backlogged. Our chief medical examiner apologized for the delay in reporting.

“We didn’t suddenly have 35 deaths in one day but we did have a lot of deaths last weekend,” Vega said. “I was not as diligent as I could have or should have been in reporting those.”

Read more here: https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavirus/article244848342.html#storylink=cpy
The updates are helpful. The deaths are still very sad. Families are grieving the loss of their loved one.

It's good when communities get news their current covid situation is improved.

With all of the disruptions to daily life these days (Covid, hurricanes, etc), delays have to be expected.

Also ME's are the final stop in the process in many cases. If a doctor is able to declare a cause of death, they do that and there is no autopsy -- and that's true whether the patient passes in a hospital or at home. They forward the death certificate to the ME's office and the ME signs off on it. Only then is the death "reported" to FL DOH.

So, if individual practitioners or a hospital got behind because administrative staff were working from home, or the ME office got backed up with paperwork, it's easy to see how there could be an avalanche of reports all in one day.

Kids testing positive, they are defining “kids” as either being 19 and under or 24 and under. So my hunch (just a hunch) is that the “kids” are actually teens/early twenties young adults. Still not good but I’m not sure it’s like 5 year olds. I think that age group (teens/ early twenties) are having parties and such.

Kids testing positive, they are defining “kids” as either being 19 and under or 24 and under. So my hunch (just a hunch) is that the “kids” are actually teens/early twenties young adults. Still not good but I’m not sure it’s like 5 year olds. I think that age group (teens/ early twenties) are having parties and such.

My county started split the under 19 into three 0 - 5, 6-12 & 13-18. It is not surprising that the 13-18 category has the most cases but babies (under 5) are still getting it in my small town. But by far the largest group is the 19 - 34 category with over one-third of the total cases.

We also have someone in their 30's on a ventilator right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter