• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

China 2010

Hi Stacey!
I can't wait to meet you in less than two weeks!:cool1: I am still using the nail clippers from the Peninsula in Beijing! It is a beautiful, well-equipped, elegant hotel. There are all sorts of high end shops in the hotel (like Coach and other expensive stuff...I am more of a Target girl myself so I can't remember what stores were there.) The rooms even have a door bell. Everything you could possibly need is available.

I like to take my back pack so I can't help with the purse ideas. I would like to mention that you might want to bring a travel pack of toilet paper with you. We each carried it in our backpacks and had the need for it!

Leah

Hi Laurie,
Since you have been so kind and thoughtful with your answers to all our questions. I hope you won't mind answering another!

When you see the pandas, is the fee per person or per family. Also, our daughters are young (10 and 8) would they be allowed to touch the pandas? I want to be able to prepare them in case they just have to watch DH and I hold the pandas.

THANKS!

Thanks again for all the tips. We have the travel toilet paper, so we are good to go there.

Starting to get a little anxious - the trip is finally within reach. It had always seemed so far away.

Any tips for the flight? We are flying from Philly to Toronto and on to Beijing.

See you soon!!!

Thanks again for all the tips. We have the travel toilet paper, so we are good to go there.

Starting to get a little anxious - the trip is finally within reach. It had always seemed so far away.

Any tips for the flight? We are flying from Philly to Toronto and on to Beijing.

See you soon!!!
I highly recommend an iPad! That thing kept me totally entertained from New York to Madrid!

Enjoy, enjoy!

Sayhello

Hi Laurie,
Since you have been so kind and thoughtful with your answers to all our questions. I hope you won't mind answering another!

When you see the pandas, is the fee per person or per family. Also, our daughters are young (10 and 8) would they be allowed to touch the pandas? I want to be able to prepare them in case they just have to watch DH and I hold the pandas.

THANKS!
The fee charged by the Chengdu Panda Research Center is per person, not per family. There is no age limit for the experience.

Hi Stacey,
Tips for the flight....hmmm...that is a tough one! I was so excited and anxious about the trip, it seemed to fly by (no pun intended :laughing:). We were lucky enough to upgrade, so our DD (9), watched every movie available.
The best advice I can give you is: Tell yourself and your family what time it is in Beijing when you board the plane. Be sure to change your watches. Keep telling yourself what time it is there and convince your body to sleep when it is nighttime in China. Secondly, when you arrive in Beijing, try and stay awake as late as possible on your first night. It will be very tough, but it will payoff when you can sleep through the night.

Don't be anxious about the trip...you are in the best of hands with the ABD guides. Not sure who you will have, maybe Jason and Leo, and they will take care of every little detail, leaving you and your family to relax and enjoy your trip.

Greetings from the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel! The official tour finished up last night :( but we have a couple of extra days here on our own. We went into Hong Kong on the metro all by ourselves today -- it was strange to be driving the activities ourselves. I miss my fellow adventurers and our wonderful guides already. If any of you get James and/or Huan (James is doing the next trip, I believe), tell him that Steve and Tina say hi!

I won't say much about the tour itself -- you really have to experience it for yourselves. I will say that it was a wonderful experience for the whole family, and that it really opened up our eyes about China and the Chinese people. My favorite memories revolve around interacting with the people themselves.

A few tips/notes for upcoming adventurers:

Adjusting to the time change -- we really didn't have any problem. They key for me was the same as it always is when I fly to Europe or Asia: arrive very tired, and don't go to sleep until bedtime. I didn't sleep on the plane. Our flight came in at 3PM or so, and we got to the hotel at about 5:30. We had a relaxing (though overly expensive) dinner at the Peninsula, then went upstairs and crashed at about 8PM. We woke up at 4 or 5 AM for the first few days, but that faded quickly.

ATMs weren't really a problem for us, though I know of several others who had trouble getting money here in Hong Kong at first. The real issue for us was the daily withdrawal limit, which was 1500 yuan for us. That's not really all that much money, especially if you need to stock up quickly. We ended up calling the bank from Hong Kong to get a one day increase in our limit, as we needed to gather money for tips for the guides.

There will be one or two points in the trip where you will likely need cash: Chengdu (if you're going to do the Panda thing) and Hong Kong (for tipping the guides). Plan ahead (i.e., get money early), and all will be well. We didn't do that, and both times we ended up scrambling.

The Panda encounter is 1000 yuan per person. The handlers said that family members not taking part could step in for a group picture at the end. BTW, a few of the younger adventurers were told that they were too small, and they didn't get to hold one.

In Beijing, be sure and visit the Night Market. It's just down the street from the hotel. The sights, sounds, and (especially) smells will stay with me for a long time. I didn't eat anything, though others did.

I would *highly* recommend talking to your doctor and getting a course of antibiotics for traveler's diarrhea for *everyone* in your party. I had a mild bout in Chengdu, and it cleared up instantly when I took the antibiotics. A few others had varying degrees of this, and I suspect they wish they'd brought some along. Be sure and bring pepto bismol and imodium as well. Let's just say that I used them at one point. :)

Upset stomachs notwithstanding, I'd encourage you to be adventurous and try everything. I wouldn't change my culinary choices one bit. It was a blast. The "local" flavor is much more pronounced in the first half of the trip, I found. In the second half, there were many more western choices as well.

Be prepared for a very long day on the Chengdu/Xian/Guilin day. It's absolutely worth it, but man oh man, we were beat for a day or so after that.

Be sure and go explore the park around the hotel in Guilin. We grabbed bikes on the morning before the cruise on the river, and we rode all over the park. It's amazing.

In Shanghai, be sure and go explore Fu Xian(sp?) park when they give you some time after the fan dance. It's quite an experience, assuming the same things are going on when you're there.

If you have cute little kids, especially blond ones, Chinese folks are going to come up and take your picture. Most of the time they'll ask first. Sometimes they won't. They'll stare sometimes as well in some cases -- I think many of them haven't seen Westerners before. It never felt hostile -- it was mainly wonder and interest.

In Chengdu, be sure and take a walk along the river at night. It's beautiful. In Shanghai, walk back to the hotel from dinner the first night. The Bund (river walk) is wonderful.

The World Expo is amazing and utterly overwhelming. There are tons and tons of crowds, and the long lines at many of the pavilions are simply not worth it, given the limited time you have. We hit a bunch of the lesser/smaller pavilions (I went for the "Axis of Evil" trifecta - North Korea, Iran, and Iraq. :-)) and had a blast. Oh, and I think taking the bus across the river is much faster than taking the boat. We did it both ways, and I wish we'd done the bus.

Lastly, if you're worried about it being too foreign or uncomfortable...don't worry. Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong are international cities, and we all felt fine. The tour itself gives you a nice exposure to the culture and country while still keeping things well in control. (If you want to go off and experience the culture yourself during free time, by all means do so! I did so, and I think it enriched the experience.)

Have fun out there. I wish I could start over and do it all again.

Steve

Steve, thanks very much for your insights. They are extremely helpful. We are leaving one week from today for our adventure. China is pretty much all we talk about! You have given us some new ideas to dream about tonight. Thanks!

The fee charged by the Chengdu Panda Research Center is per person, not per family. There is no age limit for the experience.

On our trip, I know that a six year old and an eight year old weren't allowed to handle the pandas. A nine, ten, and thirteen year old were allowed to do so.

I don't know if it was an age limit thing or a size thing; I would suspect the former.

Thanks for the tips Steve - a week from now we will be in the air!
My 5 year old is blond, so I appreciate that tip. Luckily she has already decided she does not want to hold a panda (bad koala experience.....)
How was the heat/humidity/rain? that is my primary discomfort concern.

Great tips, Steve!

Adding Pepto and Immodium to my shopping list.

Two questions:

Any need to bring a light jacket or sweater?
Is there time to workout/swim at any of the hotels?

We'll will be in the air one week from today!!!

Any need to bring a light jacket or sweater?
Perhaps for the flights to and from China. Beyond that, we never used a jacket. We did use our raincoats here in HK, though we used umbrellas more.

Is there time to workout/swim at any of the hotels?

Yes. Our boys were able to swim at least once at each hotel. Several of the adventurers were working out almost daily.

Another note - the Great Firewall in China proper (not Hong Kong) blocks access to Facebook along with other sites. If that bugs you as it did me, I found two ways around it: phone and VPN.

I was able to use my phone to go to http://m.facebook.com and post status updates and such. This didn't work when using wifi from the phone. The downside here is that international data access isn't cheap. Checking and updating status and such several times a day consumed less the 20MB of data for me, so a 20MB data plan would be sufficient.

I also installed VPN ("Virtual Private Network") software on my PC once I got here. That let me get full access to FB. I used software from http://www.surfbouncer.com for $4.99/week. Worked great most of the time.

Question about the ABD backpacks, does that weird smell go away, I would hate to take them on the plane and be responsible for stinking it up for 10 hours!!

I took my ABD backpack last year and it fell apart on the trip. The one I got this year is still in the box! Our girls took the ABD one last year and they seemed to work well.

Interesting. The one they gave us on the Med cruise did not smell... Maybe the Guides had already aired them out. I shlepped mine all over the place, and it held up well.

Sayhello

YES ours also smelled horrible. I opened them up and put them outside on covered patio for 2 weeks, sun and fresh air made the smell go away. If you are short on time, try Lysol or Fabreeze. BTW this is our second ABD trip and first set of backpacks were much better then these...and didnt smell!!!!. first set had suede bottom and stronger straps. THAT said, we DID take the first set with us to Prague trip and WILL take this set with us in few weeks to China. They are great for umbrellas, ponchos, water bottles, stuff, etc. on daily excursions. There is alot of on-and-off the busses, so they do take a beating. dont want my favorite purses taking that kind of beating. I DO take a small over the shoulder purse for camera, money, phone, motrin(!) for short jaunts off the bus and dinners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter