Crohns and DAS = denied. MODERATOR NOTE: No diagnosis is automatically allowed or denied for DAS. DAS is issued based on needs, not diagnosis

Nothing per se. But Disney is holding an unappealable ruling from October 19th that pretty much says Disney does not have to offer DAS or any similar program at all.
The next court, the 11th circuit, up ruled similarly (but stayed the ruling) and sent the case back the lower court for a retrial on a legal technicality. SCOTUS takes a dim view of government agencies expanding regulations beyond written law and has ruled as such.

When DAS becomes less of a problem for Disney to end the program for them to continue it Disney will end the program.
My personal belief is Disney's advanced DAS registration is a way to move things along in that regard. The waste rate on those 2 advance ride selections is very high. At some point they will have enough data to say DAS is a problem and DAS users are costing the company money. Those advance ride selections come from the pool of genie+ rides available to paying customers. I have zero faith in Disney. But I could also just be a cynic.
This thread has followed a lawsuit brought by a number of people/parents of people with autism. The lawyer who has been following the case for disboards, @jcb , updated the thread after the October 19 ruling (posts on page 6 and 7)

The plaintiffs argued that immediate access was the only thing that met their needs and:
  • DAS violated their ADA rights because it doesn’t allow immediate access to attractions without waiting.
  • Disney needed to bring back the previous Guest Assistance Card (GAC) program just for people with autism because it allowed them to go on attractions without wait.
  • They needed 10 readmission passes per visit per guest in their party to get immediate access to at least 10 attractions.
Disney argued that DAS did not violate the ADA and that providing what the plaintiffs wanted would increase wait times for all guests and fundamentally alter park operations.

Disney won and the appeal was dismissed “with prejudice” along with the remaining appeals from other plaintiffs, meaning the plaintiffs can’t refile the lawsuits/cases.
The court did not rule that Disney doesn’t have to offer DAS or a similar program; just that DAS doesn’t violate the ADA (as the plaintiffs claimed) and that Disney doesn’t need to bring back GAC or provide immediate access.
I’m pretty sure @jcb will clarify if I missed anything in this quick summary

Nothing per se. But Disney is holding an unappealable ruling from October 19th that pretty much says Disney does not have to offer DAS or any similar program at all.
The next court, the 11th circuit, up ruled similarly (but stayed the ruling) and sent the case back the lower court for a retrial on a legal technicality. SCOTUS takes a dim view of government agencies expanding regulations beyond written law and has ruled as such.
When DAS becomes less of a problem for Disney to end the program for them to continue it Disney will end the program.
My personal belief is Disney's advanced DAS registration is a way to move things along in that regard. The waste rate on those 2 advance ride selections is very high. At some point they will have enough data to say DAS is a problem and DAS users are costing the company money. Those advance ride selections come from the pool of genie+ rides available to paying customers. I have zero faith in Disney. But I could also just be a cynic.
If you have a copy of the October 19 decision you mentioned, I'd like to see it. I'm not aware of Disney ever aguing that it does not have to offer DAS or any similar program. Now, I checked my records of Disney litigation and noticed that October 19, 2022 was the day that a number of families who had sued WDW over implementation of DAS and elimination of GAC voluntarily dismissed their lawsuits against WDW in Florida federal court. This was after the court had ruled in WDW's favor in one case that DAS did not violate the ADA. The Eleventh Circuit affirmed that ruling. There was not any hint in either decision that Disney did not have to offer DAS.

L

Unless I have misunderstood your post (and sorry if I have), but I think that for most people who legitimately utilize DAS, it’s probably not to get the advanced ride selections. I agree with what you say about Disney losing money on those, but I wonder how many people are abusing the system to actually make a difference. If there is a problem, maybe it could be just a matter of getting rid of that aspect of DAS?

Having Crohns and being denied DAS is just not right! I am sure there are too many unknowns involved here to figure out why; maybe it just came down to one word or how that word was used by the OP that triggered something with the CM, maybe the CM didn’t have a chance to have breakfast…who knows. My guess (and hope) is if the OP tried again, they would be approved.

I'm sorry you're having a tough time with this, OP. Have you thought about taking the trip and seeing how it goes for a day or two first? I have colitis, and I have found that for whatever reason, it seems to flare less on trips. I don't know if it's because I'm on vacation and there is reduced stress or what. I was really worried about long lines, but thus far, things have been okay for me. I do tend to have a worse time when I get hot, so I try my best to avoid summers, and when I have gone in the summer, we tend to go later in the day and stay until closing. Just a thought for you to consider. Then if you do have trouble the first day, you could go and explain the issue and how it's already caused problems in lines for you.

The cynic in me is the online DAS does allow a profile to be made and once 'denied' the way forward to yes becomes even higher, so the HUCA probably won't work and becomes a day of visit to City Hall to plea ones case.

@DLgal - i realize what Disney advertises; I'm of the opinion the implementation decision points are different. They look at risk/benefit to themselves primarily as decision points. The CM may actually vary it give the sympathetic ear in variation and bless them for it as that's why I love them manning the kiosks. We still stop by to work on DS social skills despite ability to book on the app directly.

@SueM in MN - thank you for the link. We used both GAC and DAS. We felt GAC was way too generous of us and a bit of guilt to walk onto rides with minimal waits. It was too convenient and understandably prone to abuse and blowback from other park goers. We like DAS as the balance and the recent online and app improvements really make it nice bonuses.

As we age, I do wish Disney allows for some type of attendant accommodation as we simply can't keep up with our 22yo DS (autistic) as we used to as much so we're the rate limiting factor at times now!

Unless I have misunderstood your post (and sorry if I have), but I think that for most people who legitimately utilize DAS, it’s probably not to get the advanced ride selections. I agree with what you say about Disney losing money on those, but I wonder how many people are abusing the system to actually make a difference. If there is a problem, maybe it could be just a matter of getting rid of that aspect of DAS?
My daughter has multiple disabilities and has used WDW’s disability accommodations for a long time - back to the early days of GAC (Guest Assistance Card).
We did use the DAS video registration and make DAS Advance Selections (DAS AS) our last 4 trips. We used some and didn’t use others.
Sometimes, it was too hot or rainy to take DD out to a park or she had a seizure that delayed our going. Sometimes, it’s just too overwhelming to be in a park and she’s ready to leave after a short time - sometimes after one attraction, sometimes after none. The DAS AS at least give us a fighting chance to go on something.

I don’t think Disney giving the DAS AS is really the ‘money loser’ or problem for Disney that some people think. After all, Disney is in control of which attractions are offered for DAS AS, how many ‘slots’ for those attractions are available and what times.
I have no doubt that Disney works with those factors to have the least impact on operations.

Disney is generally pretty smart about crowd management. It would not surprise me at all if they have s mathematical model that accounts for the distribution of park visitors across the rides, including components of what’s called a “gravity model” that accounts for what individuals may do prior or after an AS time,

For the record, I did have this question "are there other people in your group?" when I reapplied for DAS after Covid in February last year already. "Are there people with you who could keep your spot in line?"

Made me go "ummm" back then already, but thankfully that didn't cause any problems because the answer was no.

We did the online DAS for my husband for one trip and he decided that getting the advanced rides was not a good idea. What if that timeline did not work and we are not even in a park and he has a sudden event. So we now go to city hall, I wait in that line and contact him or he watches to see if I am close.

He almost died from Diverticulitis 10 years ago, went septic parts of lower and upper intestines removed. Had an open wound for over 10 months. 2nd major surgery to fix a fistula and reverse colostomy. His GI team team has been treating him for Chrons and IBS symptoms since he survived. He is treated for anxiety now as well because it can bring on flares. I finally talked him into trying a Disney trip because of DAS about 5 years ago. In that 5 years it bcame his happy place, for our 30th in September I asked if he would like to try a cruise. Nope because he would never want to do any excursion and he would feel bad if I did not go because of him. He said can we just go to Disney again?

While I know his GI team would sign paperwork if needed to get a DAS. If he was to apply and they said no like what just happened with OP, he would be crushed. DAS gave him the security to know he was not ruining moments for me, family and friends these last 5 years. There have been times we have left the fast pass/lightning lane because it was long. He knew we could try it again later. Yes he has worn adult garments for possible issues, and we have utilized first aid.

So I truly hope no changes are underway. OP I am truly sorry for the struggle you have had with the system, I hope it has not brought you too much stress. In person they have always been wonderful on both coasts, yeah for there still being one non-stop from Portland.

I hope your trip will be magical.

For the record, I did have this question "are there other people in your group?" when I reapplied for DAS after Covid in February last year already. "Are there people with you who could keep your spot in line?"

Made me go "ummm" back then already, but thankfully that didn't cause any problems because the answer was no.
This really makes me mad, my husband would never want to try and come back through a line to try and reach me. That would just bring on more anxiety which could exarcibate his condition.

This really makes me mad, my husband would never want to try and come back through a line to try and reach me. That would just bring on more anxiety which could exarcibate his condition.

When I told a local friend back then - she often came to the park in the evenings to catch up with me pre-reservations - she said: "Are they trying to get your head ripped off? That's not allowed!"

Was this at WDW or DL?
I don’t know if you brought up needing to leave the line unexpectedly, but when requesting DAS, I’d suggest being prepared to answer/discuss the question, ‘what prevents/concerns you about waiting in the regular lines’ and not what causes you to leave the line.
The accommodation provided by DAS is the ability to wait outside of the regular line. Once the guest has used DAS to come into the line, the accommodation has been given and it ‘becomes’ little/no different than any other guest leaving the line. There isn’t a set process for each attraction other than ‘tell a CM when you are leaving’ (which might not be possible). Some attractions might not have an easy way for re-entering the line.

I don’t know, but suspect this is more of an issue at Disneyland park. Because it has less space and less Mainstream (wheelchair accessible) lines, any alternate entrances/exits are already filled with guests using mobility devices. So, sending guests returning to the line there is more congestion in an already congested space.
Disney California Adventure and the WDW parks are mostly Mainstream Lines, so not as much of an issue

When I told a local friend back then - she often came to the park in the evenings to catch up with me pre-reservations - she said: "Are they trying to get your head ripped off? That's not allowed!"
Disney needs to come up with a process for guests who need to leave the line for any reason - there really is no process at this Aa come back to catch up with their party. For the most part, people were OK with it and the most that happened were a few grumbles.
But, there have been actual fights, with actual arrests and bannings in situations where people were going past others in line.
Part of this is probably just the world on edge, but also partly driven (again) by TikTok posters showing their followers how pretending they were rejoining the line helped them skip waits

Yeah, I don;t think anybody would have a problem with one or two people leaving the line and then coming back if it weren't for all the groups that have one person get in line and then call and have twelve people join them just as they're nearing the front. If there was a policy that was enforced, it would help everybody.

I have a question I qualified for DAS this past June in Walt Disney World … will my pass carry over to Disneyland? I also have a similar problem and it was very stressful waiting on line for a couple of hours, wondering if I qualify … but once connected the cast member was very understanding and helpful. After reading this I am getting stressed out again.

I have a question I qualified for DAS this past June in Walt Disney World … will my pass carry over to Disneyland? I also have a similar problem and it was very stressful waiting on line for a couple of hours, wondering if I qualify … but once connected the cast member was very understanding and helpful. After reading this I am getting stressed out again.
No. Sorry.

The systems between the two parks are completely disconnected and even if they were connected DAS expires after 60 days so yours is already expired and would need to be renewed again and go back through the process even if you were going back to Disney World.

Was this at WDW or DL?
I don’t know if you brought up needing to leave the line unexpectedly, but when requesting DAS, I’d suggest being prepared to answer/discuss the question, ‘what prevents/concerns you about waiting in the regular lines’ and not what causes you to leave the line.
The accommodation provided by DAS is the ability to wait outside of the regular line. Once the guest has used DAS to come into the line, the accommodation has been given and it ‘becomes’ little/no different than any other guest leaving the line. There isn’t a set process for each attraction other than ‘tell a CM when you are leaving’ (which might not be possible). Some attractions might not have an easy way for re-entering the line.

I don’t know, but suspect this is more of an issue at Disneyland park. Because it has less space and less Mainstream (wheelchair accessible) lines, any alternate entrances/exits are already filled with guests using mobility devices. So, sending guests returning to the line there is more congestion in an already congested space.
Disney California Adventure and the WDW parks are mostly Mainstream Lines, so not as much of an issue

It was Disneyland.

It happened right at the start of the interview. All I had said was Good morning, that I was glad we could fix the technical issues and that I wanted to request the DAS for this trip after I had GAC before they closed that down. Absolutely nothing was said that could have prompted this reaction.

If you think you may not be able to make it to a restroom in time, wear adult diapers. Maybe it sounds extreme, but as someone who had their gallbladder removed I have days where what I eat wants out without much warning. Even having them on can help calm the anxiety of an accident.

I have also left more than one line with no problem. Just say Excuse Me multiple times. Or, as in the line at Test Track, the CM may have a door they can let you out. No more spicy food for me before I hop in that line!o_O
^THIS^ @Lakemera

Rides break down all the time. You could be stuck on a ride literally unable to move for 30-60 mins. I was once stuck on Winnie The Pooh for 30 mins when it broke. Winnie the Pooh! Non ground based rides can be even longer (see Disneyland POTC for 2 hours waiting for the fire dept to show up or Skyliner folks who waited 3 hours for their fire dept evac). You could be stuck and come hell or high water unable to exit the ride vehicle you are in, plan accordingly.

I have a unique situation as well and I have done the DW pre-registration many times with ease and then the DL twice last November and December and it was a vastly different experience, the DL CM was borderline rude.

I initially also got the wait on a bench until your party is close suggestion to which I responded (kindly:):

A - we did try this once or twice and were accused of line cutting even when I rejoined the party in the overflow prior to the actual queue. (one person joining 2 or 3 others)
B- I go to DL (WDW) to enjoy the attractions I can handle with my family, if I were to wait on a bench, I would just do that until they were done with the attraction.

The CM did issue the pass for me.

Interestingly enough Knotts Berry farm has a pass that allows you to join the line when your party is about to board, but you do it through the exit. Even that wasn't a good experience but got me to thinking this might be a CA thing?
DL DAS was far harder for my family member to qualify for last year than WDW was. Same issue, same answers to start but he had to go much further in the descriptions. He was noticeably upset by the end in spite of his approval.

I remember the end of the GAC program, the abuse at DL was SO BAD. We couldn’t even ride the most popular stuff because the GAC lines were too long. We, like many others, saw the people bounding out of wc and crutches to go about their merry way when they weren’t in a line 😡 Back then reports were at DL it was actually worse than WDW experienced so it would make sense they are dealing with a higher level of scamming.

This thread has followed a lawsuit brought by a number of people/parents of people with autism. The lawyer who has been following the case for disboards, @jcb , updated the thread after the October 19 ruling (posts on page 6 and 7)

The plaintiffs argued that immediate access was the only thing that met their needs and:
  • DAS violated their ADA rights because it doesn’t allow immediate access to attractions without waiting.
  • Disney needed to bring back the previous Guest Assistance Card (GAC) program just for people with autism because it allowed them to go on attractions without wait.
  • They needed 10 readmission passes per visit per guest in their party to get immediate access to at least 10 attractions.
Disney argued that DAS did not violate the ADA and that providing what the plaintiffs wanted would increase wait times for all guests and fundamentally alter park operations.

Disney won and the appeal was dismissed “with prejudice” along with the remaining appeals from other plaintiffs, meaning the plaintiffs can’t refile the lawsuits/cases.
The court did not rule that Disney doesn’t have to offer DAS or a similar program; just that DAS doesn’t violate the ADA (as the plaintiffs claimed) and that Disney doesn’t need to bring back GAC or provide immediate access.
I’m pretty sure @jcb will clarify if I missed anything in this quick summary
Thank You for this. I was wavering between crying and sobbing after the previous post. I’m an AP at WDW but without the program I would never be able to go again. I should be following these things more closely.

It happened right at the start of the interview. All I had said was Good morning, that I was glad we could fix the technical issues and that I wanted to request the DAS for this trip after I had GAC before they closed that down. Absolutely nothing was said that could have prompted this reaction.
There is never an excuse for them to be rude 😔

Alas in the future I would not mention the old program. Many who qualified for GAC do not qualify for DAS. In my imagination I see people in that category yelling at these CMs demanding they qualify because they used to so I’m personally worried it could be like a trigger type phrase for CMs.

Last edited:
There is never an excuse for them to be rude 😔

Alas in the future I would not mention the old program. Many who qualified for GAC do not qualify for DAS. In my imagination I see people in that category yelling at these CMs demanding they qualify because they used to so I’m personally worried it could be like a trigger type phrase for CMs.

If I recall correctly my exact wording was "I'd like to find out if I still qualify for the new program." Which seemed perfectly harmless to me.

I'm always on tiptoes since one trip a Paris CM yelled at me I should never have been given their Disability Assistance to begin with after I even produced the certificate they wanted in French - the trip before they had complained I only had an English version which per their website should have been sufficient too.

The most annoying part about this was that I actually had been diagnosed years earlier and it never even occurred to me to ask. Then I went to Paris during the French National Holiday and my doctor (who had been before, it is mental then) actually pushed me to take a certificate and get the pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter