Disneyland Half Marathon 2024

I'm not a light packer. Every trip, I try to be and somehow I always find enough "oh, I definitely need THAT" stuff to completely fill my suitcase. If everything works out, I'm planning on going Dopey to Dumbo in 2025 and I've already been thinking the challenge that packing is going to be.

My initial thought/strategies are:

- Plan on doing laundry at least twice (once Saturday or Sunday of MW and once when I get to California)
- Pre-ordering food and snacks at both locations
- Pack a box of California specific items and have someone at home mail it for me so that it's there when I arrive
- Take a flat rate box with me to Florida so I can mail home any souvenirs/Florida specific items and free up space to bring things home from California
- Probably re-use race outfits although, honestly, those don't take up a lot of space.

I fly Southwest so I could pack it all, but like @Disneyhanna, I hate the thought of feeling like a sherpa at the airports.

I'm not a light packer. Every trip, I try to be and somehow I always find enough "oh, I definitely need THAT" stuff to completely fill my suitcase. If everything works out, I'm planning on going Dopey to Dumbo in 2025 and I've already been thinking the challenge that packing is going to be.

My initial thought/strategies are:

- Plan on doing laundry at least twice (once Saturday or Sunday of MW and once when I get to California)
- Pre-ordering food and snacks at both locations
- Pack a box of California specific items and have someone at home mail it for me so that it's there when I arrive
- Take a flat rate box with me to Florida so I can mail home any souvenirs/Florida specific items and free up space to bring things home from California
- Probably re-use race outfits although, honestly, those don't take up a lot of space.

I fly Southwest so I could pack it all, but like @Disneyhanna, I hate the thought of feeling like a sherpa at the airports.
I definitely learned some tips to get crafty with packing to meet the weight limits. If you're coming from a cold climate and have a coat, I learned from someone on here to pack things in your coat pockets! So when I came home from Dopey this year, I put all my medals in socks in my coat pockets and just carried my coat, I have to remember to use one with deep pockets :laughing: I also always buy a snack at the airport and ask for a bag so I can stuff things into it for going on the plane.

I have a very specific list I use to pack for Disney (and runDisney) trips and I need to go through it and just remove stuff I packed but didn't really need. Like my running vest, I was fine with a handheld and just refilling it at water stations which saves a lot of room. Same with packing so many running shoes, a lot of people convinced me to pack three pairs but I think next year I will only pack two pairs, that will be plenty and save a little space. I think I will need to do laundry at least once so I can bring a few less outfits.

At this point I just hope it is on the warm side in Anaheim next January so I need to pack fewer layers, that is what always takes up so much room!

I know we're just speculating until the official guide comes out, but I was curious about race day transportation. I did some searching online, and found some pretty detailed info from 2014 and some less detailed info from 2017. It looks like they had contracted city buses that served most of the hotels in the immediate Disneyland area. Can anyone confirm that's what was done in the past? Thanks!

I know we're just speculating until the official guide comes out, but I was curious about race day transportation. I did some searching online, and found some pretty detailed info from 2014 and some less detailed info from 2017. It looks like they had contracted city buses that served most of the hotels in the immediate Disneyland area. Can anyone confirm that's what was done in the past? Thanks!
I did race weekend 5 or 6 times... a couple times I stayed on Harbor and just walked. I also stayed at a friends Wyndham resort twice and there was a shuttle hitting all the hotels that were further out. I don't know if they were run by the race or by the hotels.... I feel like we had a $5 fee and got a wristband for the week. It definitely hit several hotels in our area.

Finally (!!!) looking at hotels so I just want to get some clarity on walkability: found one where it looks like I can walk half a block down Harbor Blvd, making a right on Katella, then up Disneyland Drive. Are there any issues with walking this route to Downtown Disney, where I’m assuming the race will start for the time being?

Finally (!!!) looking at hotels so I just want to get some clarity on walkability: found one where it looks like I can walk half a block down Harbor Blvd, making a right on Katella, then up Disneyland Drive. Are there any issues with walking this route to Downtown Disney, where I’m assuming the race will start for the time being?

Nobody knows how things will be set up this time, but during previous DL races that would have been an excellent location. Corrals could be reached by the road leading to the DL Hotel as well as the main entrance to DTD, and we used that route when walking from our hotel near the corner of Harbor and Katella to get to the corrals. Hard to say whether that will be set up that way again, but even if you had to walk to the main entrance it's not that far. Maybe 15-20 minutes.

Nobody knows how things will be set up this time, but during previous DL races that would have been an excellent location. Corrals could be reached by the road leading to the DL Hotel as well as the main entrance to DTD, and we used that route when walking from our hotel near the corner of Harbor and Katella to get to the corrals. Hard to say whether that will be set up that way again, but even if you had to walk to the main entrance it's not that far. Maybe 15-20 minutes.
Ok that's sort of what I expected, I just remember from driving over there that at some point I'm pretty sure sidewalk access is cut off as you enter the garage area, but IIRC that's after downtown. I'll likely be renting a car but obv would be nice to be able to just walk to the start rather than dealing with parking.

And I'm probably jinxing myself but I really want to believe they won't deviate too much from the 2017 setup. We'll see!

Ok that's sort of what I expected, I just remember from driving over there that at some point I'm pretty sure sidewalk access is cut off as you enter the garage area, but IIRC that's after downtown. I'll likely be renting a car but obv would be nice to be able to just walk to the start rather than dealing with parking.

And I'm probably jinxing myself but I really want to believe they won't deviate too much from the 2017 setup. We'll see!

Depending on where they have racers park, it may very well be a shorter walk from your hotel than from the parking!

I ran in my Dumbo outfit for Colfax Half Marathon. Ran through the zoo and planned on getting a selfie with our elephants and they did not put out the elephants yet... fail. Lol. Had to settle for the Giraffes 🦒. Also got a PR. I finnally got sub 3 hour half 2:52. I am working on speed. The Dumbo outfit did well. Some times the skirt got caught in my fanny pack but it was easy enough to pull down. So I think i am happy for this outfit for the half for Disneyland. So many people did not who i was though. I got called glitter girl a lot. But did get lots of compliments on it even if they did not know I was dumbo inspired. A few did know I was dumbo and that made my day :) 20230521_055521.jpg
20230521_074818.jpgGarminConnect_20230521-113904.jpgFB_IMG_1684696713848.jpg

DL weather can be quite cold in January, I've been to LA that time of year before and was in jeans and sweaters and vests. But at least no FL humidity to cause that bone chilling feeling. Since I'm not coming home between Dopey and Dumbo, I am going to need to pack a lot of extra race gear to pivot if weather changes. Not looking forward to probably having two check bags and a carry on, since I have to haul all my work gear to work remotely :crazy2: So much throwaway gear to get! I keep thrifting throwaway clothes and end up liking them and keeping them, oops!

Huh. This is like the exact opposite of my experience. I find the high humidity in Florida keeps it pretty temperate even in the dead of winter when the sun is down. I remember only one WDW January race day I felt cold and it wasn't bitter cold, just "I did not prepare to stand in a corral for a couple hours" cold. It was in the high 50s during the race. Even the day it poured rain (literally the next day lol) it wasn't cold when it was in the 60s. It's the dry, desert weather that can get freezing cold to me with the sun down. Interesting how we all react differently to humidity!

I'm honestly a little anxious about the weather since I was there during the bad storms this past January. They were a bit unusual, but that is rainy season. So it could happen again. Sending all the good vibes out into the universe it doesn't, though.

My current plan is to plan multiple versions of my costumes so I'm prepared no matter what the weather or temperature.

Huh. This is like the exact opposite of my experience. I find the high humidity in Florida keeps it pretty temperate even in the dead of winter when the sun is down. I remember only one WDW January race day I felt cold and it wasn't bitter cold, just "I did not prepare to stand in a corral for a couple hours" cold. It was in the high 50s during the race. Even the day it poured rain (literally the next day lol) it wasn't cold when it was in the 60s. It's the dry, desert weather that can get freezing cold to me with the sun down. Interesting how we all react differently to humidity!

I'm honestly a little anxious about the weather since I was there during the bad storms this past January. They were a bit unusual, but that is rainy season. So it could happen again. Sending all the good vibes out into the universe it doesn't, though.

My current plan is to plan multiple versions of my costumes so I'm prepared no matter what the weather or temperature.
Really hoping we don’t get rain, I can handle the heat and the cold but rain would definitely dampen my parade! I’m going to have SO much luggage with all the costume options in case of weather shifts!

For anyone else staying at Pardise/Pixar pier for the run like we are... renovations should be done by the time we race!!! Super excited we will get to try it out while it is all super new and shiny.
Can I ask, how did you get a reservation at Paradise/Pixar Pier for Jan 2024? I thought DL hotel bookings were only available through 2023 and 2024 booking dates have not been released yet?

Can I ask, how did you get a reservation at Paradise/Pixar Pier for Jan 2024? I thought DL hotel bookings were only available through 2023 and 2024 booking dates have not been released yet?
You had to call in and say you were booking for the run. I called in that day and they said they opened up booking just for the rundisney people. From what I have read Paradise Pier is full though, but the other hotels still open.

You had to call in and say you were booking for the run. I called in that day and they said they opened up booking just for the rundisney people. From what I have read Paradise Pier is full though, but the other hotels still open.
Thanks! I knew I should be following this board more closely! I'm really hoping to use our DVC points at the new DL villas, but would love to book a room at the DL hotel as aback up.

When was online booking going to be available for the DL property hotels for January 2024 dates? The other day wdw opened and I thought DL too, but it's still showing only until Dec 2023. I know I can call in, but I wanted to search online.
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter