Guardians of the Galaxy Land is possibly coming to Hollywood Studios

Yep, I agree. If it stays, the Twilight Zone name has to go. They don't need to keep this IP, it's old and forgotten. They could name it so many different things, Hollywood Hotel or Hollywood Tower. The name doesn't matter, it won't stop people from going on.
I disagree that it's old and forgotten. The twilight zone is still on tv on a daily basis.

I disagree that it's old and forgotten. The twilight zone is still on tv on a daily basis.

In black and white

Most people born after 1985 don't know about the Twilight Zone. Twilight yeah, but not the Twilight Zone. It is a relic that doesn't matter to today's audience and can be replaced very easily.

But we live in an age where majority of the parents who go to WDW have never seen the Disney animated features (or shorts) made before the late 80's.

To be fair, the twilight zone show doesn't really have any relation in the episodes I have watched to a haunted hotel or lift drops. I think it's just lucky that the theme does marry up well with the ride

Last edited:
Yep, I agree. If it stays, the Twilight Zone name has to go. They don't need to keep this IP, it's old and forgotten. They could name it so many different things, Hollywood Hotel or Hollywood Tower. The name doesn't matter, it won't stop people from going on.

It could still be Tower of Terror, couldn't it? I thought only Twilight Zone was licensed. The Tokyo version is just Tower of Terror with no Twilight Zone tie-in.

That's not the way modern MBA's think, everything is an opportunity to establish or grow a brand to increase long-term revenue. They can't license "haunted hotel" to Mattel. Even branding it as Rapusal's Tower Climb would be more "marketable."

As noted, ToT is probably safe for the meantime because the focus is on SWL/TSL. If Viacom ever gets any of their Twilight Zone projects out of "turn-around" (not likely), it may either help or hinder the long-term future of the TZ-branded ToT; but no product sure doesn't help.

I love ToT as is, and my son became a TZ fan because of the ride (but that doesn't help Disney's bottom line), but predictions should be made from a sales perspective — executive officers almost always work their way up through sales — not a fan perspective. They know they aren't going to going to lose guests by re-branding.
I disagree that messing with a ride unnecessarily can't hurt it. Look at what happened with figment, they touched a perfectly good ride and upset a lot of people.

As I've said before a tower rebrand done right would need to involve revamping the whole street area to fit the theme, and I don't see that happening

It could still be Tower of Terror, couldn't it? I thought only Twilight Zone was licensed. The Tokyo version is just Tower of Terror with no Twilight Zone tie-in.
I'd actually welcome a Tokyo overlay. That ride looks really really cool with an original story

Oh yeah, that name works as well.

If they are going to keep the theming though, they might as well keep the same appearance. I don't think there is any reason to really change it if they aren't going with a whole new IP.

I think though that if it wasn't for the Marvel/Universal clause they would turn them all to Misson Breakout and be done with it

I bet they are absolutely killing the ratings in the 3:00-5:00 am time slot and 70+ demographic too.

:rotfl2: Yep, its got some stiff competition from the Shamwow and Snuggie infomercials. Maybe Disney should look into creating rides based on these products.

Even though most people may not watch the Twilight Zone; it's still recognizable. Most people nowadays don't watch the Muppets but they are still recognizable as related and familiar characters. I see no reason to get rid of it.

Even though most people may not watch the Twilight Zone; it's still recognizable. Most people nowadays don't watch the Muppets but they are still recognizable as related and familiar characters. I see no reason to get rid of it.

"Twilight Zone" and "the Muppets" are not comparable entities. There have been movies and televisions shows made with the Muppets THIS century. Twilight Zone hasn't had a movie since the early 80's and it wasn't good and did pretty bad at the box office. Twilight Zone the show is like Loveboat, the Honeymooners and Gunsmoke. Sure they still have a small fanbase for them, but it isn't something a ride needs to be based on. It's just not that popular of an IP anymore.

"Twilight Zone" and "the Muppets" are not comparable entities. There have been movies and televisions shows made with the Muppets THIS century. Twilight Zone hasn't had a movie since the early 80's and it wasn't good and did pretty bad at the box office. Twilight Zone the show is like Loveboat, the Honeymooners and Gunsmoke. Sure they still have a small fanbase for them, but it isn't something a ride needs to be based on. It's just not that popular of an IP anymore.
And it doesn't need to be. The ride stands on its own.

And it doesn't need to be. The ride stands on its own.

If it stands on its own then it doesn't need an IP. The only reason to have an IP is to make money off of it and/or if it makes the ride better. The Usher and Mickey and the gang t-shirts probably sell more than the Twilight Zone tv show ones.

If it stands on its own then it doesn't need an IP. The only reason to have an IP is to make money off of it and/or if it makes the ride better. The Usher and Mickey and the gang t-shirts probably sell more than the Twilight Zone tv show ones.
The IP does add to the attraction. The pre-show and ride use Rod Serling's image (not voice as that's recorded by an impersonator). The ride is arguably the best Disney has ever created. It still gets big lines as is. It doesn't need to see changes.

The IP does add to the attraction. The pre-show and ride use Rod Serling's image (not voice as that's recorded by an impersonator). The ride is arguably the best Disney has ever created. It still gets big lines as is. It doesn't need to see changes.

I don't know the name for the guy on the Haunted Mansion and that ride is still effective. You could get any spooky voice actor and stick him into this attraction and it will still get long lines.

They replaced the one in California for a reason. Hopefully this one is changed as well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter