Guardians of the Galaxy Land is possibly coming to Hollywood Studios

I don't know the name for the guy on the Haunted Mansion and that ride is still effective. You could get any spooky voice actor and stick him into this attraction and it will still get long lines.

They replaced the one in California for a reason. Hopefully this one is changed as well.
The one in Cali was changed because 1. It's a knockoff version of the one in Florida and 2. They're probably gonna put a marvel land out there. Unfortunately Florida can't get a marvel land

"ToT is safe". If the Cali version is a hit and shows it can bring in extra revenue that could change in short order.

Personally, Tower of Terror is a "Meh, I'll do it if the line is not too long" but I'd be all over the Guardians version if WDW had it.

I don't know the name for the guy on the Haunted Mansion and that ride is still effective. You could get any spooky voice actor and stick him into this attraction and it will still get long lines.

They replaced the one in California for a reason. Hopefully this one is changed as well.
The one is California was replaced because it was not as good. The WDW is arguably the best version in the world.

The one is California was replaced because it was not as good. The WDW is arguably the best version in the world.

They don't need Twilight Zone as a trademark to keep the spooky look. Twilight Zone doesn't own creepy 30's music or dilapidated boiler rooms.

i think you're underestimating how iconic the twilight zone is. at the very least, everyone knows the theme song--doo DOO doo DOO doo DOO doo DOO... that's probably the first thing that comes to mind when you think of classical (or cheesy) horror. but remember that back in 1994 twilight zone wasn't exactly a "relevant" property either. it really just gives you a familiar window-dressing for a spooky ride

regardless of that, i think most people like the tower of terror just for its standalone theme of a haunted hotel. if they took out all the twilight zone references but left the window-dressings the same, like the tokyo tower of terror, most people probably wouldn't mind, y'know? mission breakout got a cold reception because it's just a joyride rather than the suspenseful build-up of the original attraction, and it doesn't especially match the theme of hollywoodland (which is set for a re-do anyway--they've barely touched it since 2001). actually, the california tower seemed pretty underwhelming compared to the florida one anyway, so if anything, mission breakout is a direct improvement

anyway, most floridian disney regulars don't want them touching "our" tower, especially since it's the original, and while i wouldn't really mind getting mission breakout over here it doesn't seem likely given the circumstances. the twilight zone theme is probably going to stick, and even if it doesn't, i get the feeling they'll just keep it the same since it's grown its own identity

That wasn't why they singled it out. DCA allows it to be an anchor to a future Marvel expansion that isn't possible at WDW. It was equally as popular that the DHS one (often averaging longer lines) despite being not as good (which I agree with).

While people may want to protect ToT at DHS, there is no business reason it isn't just as vulnerable as the DCA version. (I still predict, in the long run, that Hollywood and Sunset Blvd's will be re-themed completely. But they are so far away from updating so much at WDW, who knows what they'll prioritize.)

Why would WDW change the theme on arguably their most popular attraction? So many lists have Tower of Terror as the #1 theme park attraction not only in Orlando but the world, it baffles me that they would even think of rebranding it. I'll have to go watch the international versions of it, but I can't imagine it without the Twilight music

Last edited:
The Tower of Terror works the way it is and that includes the Twilight Zone tie-in. When Disney starts messing with something, you don't always get good results.

Ironically, it might just be Universal that is helping to protect Florida's Tower of Terror. Not on purpose of course but still. ;)

"ToT is safe". If the Cali version is a hit and shows it can bring in extra revenue that could change in short order.

I think it would be difficult to measure if the DCA version is a "hit" or not. ToT was already a popular ride because at its core, it's a fun RIDE. Yes, the story is important and adds to the enjoyment. Maybe I am wrong, but it would have to be some pretty bad theming (like having no story at all) for it NOT to be a popular ride.

I can understand the need to update if something is so outdated. In my opinion, Twilight Zone is classic and can stand the test of time. RnRC, on the other hand IS dated (but still a fun ride) and could definitely use some updates or re-theme.

Still speaking generically, re-theming will of course bring in the crowds, who will buy the new merchandise, because it is new. Therefore, profits & attendance will be up. But whatever decisions are made, they need to be made in the context of a bigger vision.

DCA didn't do this as a one-off, just for a re-theme. They have a bigger plan for Marvel land in that section of the park. So, while it's a difficult pill to swallow for many, the spoonful of sugar is that they know more Marvel is to come.

If WDW were to announce a GotG re-theme, it would REALLY need to be announced within a larger vision of the park or that section of the park.

I think about FEA and Epcot, it seems to be the case that WDW wants to include more IP in the World Showcase. If that is indeed their vision, then - again in my opinion - they should have hinted to that in the announcement for FEA. Even something along the lines of "stay tuned to find out who else you may meet on your journey around the world!" I don't understand why WDW plays so close to the vest. They don't have to announce specifics to reveal a bit of their vision for parks or areas of the parks. Like with this UoE rumor - if they are INTERNALLY still trying to decide what IP to put in, it seems like there isn't a clear vision/theme for what that area of the park should be...but maybe they are still wrestling with even that.

I think it would be difficult to measure if the DCA version is a "hit" or not. ToT was already a popular ride because at its core, it's a fun RIDE. Yes, the story is important and adds to the enjoyment. Maybe I am wrong, but it would have to be some pretty bad theming (like having no story at all) for it NOT to be a popular ride.

I agree, I think DHS's Tower of Terror would be fun with just a basic Haunted Hotel theme. It doesn't need the Twilight Zone. As long as it has creepy ghosts I think people will still flock to it like Ravens on fresh roadkill.

Last edited:
I think it would be difficult to measure if the DCA version is a "hit" or not.

Though word of mouth has been incredible. I don't think I've heard/read a bad review yet, and the furor over losing ToT seems to all but died (it took nearly a decade for the Toad/Pooh scars to heal at MK)

But, despite the age and any irreverence of the TZ tv show, the TZ/ToT theme has remained timeless and never felt old or stodgy. Not sure if GOTG:MB! will do the same or it'll seem more like a relic of it's construction like the Rock 'n' Roll coaster theme (or Spider-Man at IoA).

Though word of mouth has been incredible. I don't think I've heard/read a bad review yet, and the furor over losing ToT seems to all but died (it took nearly a decade for the Toad/Pooh scars to heal at MK)

But, despite the age and any irreverence of the TZ tv show, the TZ/ToT theme has remained timeless and never felt old or stodgy. Not sure if GOTG:MB! will do the same or it'll seem more like a relic of it's construction like the Rock 'n' Roll coaster theme (or Spider-Man at IoA).

Yeah, it seems like all of the DL fans I've seen love it. Even the ones that were dead against it.

I think it could go either way on whether MB will remain relevant. But perhaps it has staying power like other franchises like Indiana Jones. It maybe a franchise that evolves with different iterations of the team. As long as they have Rocket and Groot I'll keep watching them.

Me neither, but by now, there are probably multiple guests who didn't even know it existed for each one of us who miss it.

I'm just glad that Disneyland still has theirs. I was fortunate enough to go a couple of years ago (we live in GA), and I seriously teared up when we got in line!

On a scale of 1 to 10...I trust the "source" of this one -6

They gross a couple hundred mil on a movie over a month...so sure...start a billion dollar construction project that will take 9 years...what's be the problem?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter