Hero, or fool?

Was this man a hero or a fool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There was just a story here about a guy who jumped into the lake to save 2 guys in a car that had driven into the lake. Then that guy went missing & there was a 3 day search that ended up recovering the body of the Good Samaritan. They showed his family on the news &, of course, they’re heartbroken. Some could/would say he was foolish b/c even though it was a person, the lake is known to have a strong current & weather conditions were rough that day so even a good swimmer would likely drown. And he put numerous rescue ppl in harm that had to try to save him in even tougher conditions. But, the guy didn’t likely have time to think about all of that. He just jumped into action. Of course, it was a person & not a rabbit, but I think it’s also somewhat relevant that the guys who drove into the lake were up to no good & likely intoxicated so absolutely at fault for their “accident”. The guy who jumped in to save them also likely knew that b/c he was in the restaurant where the guys had been kicked out for their behavior.

Really equating a person trying to save 2 people to a bunny saving idiot. Ok you just jumped the shark.

Really?!?! Ok, I'll say to you what I say to people who do this on our highways all the time - ok, I'll let your widow know the bunny/duck/goose survived - they can put that on your headstone.

Crisis is your life, your loved ones lives, a human life not a RABBIT!!!!
I’m not sure if your twisting things on purpose or really having a hard time with comprehending what I’m saying. I said he was in crisis mode with his being there with all that going on NOT B/C OF THE RABBIT!! So, when you’re in crisis mode, it’s not unusual to make poor choices which is likely what happened.

Really equating a person trying to save 2 people to a bunny saving idiot. Ok you just jumped the shark.
Ok now I think you might really have a comprehension problem. I specifically said it wasn’t the same. But, it was still a poor choice as the lake was very rough. He should have waited for professionals, but he just impulsively did what he thought he should at the time. The point was to demonstrate impulsivity. It doesn’t matter if YOU think a rabbit isn’t worth it, the guy who saved it acted impulsively in a crisis situation. He saw a living thing in danger & did something without thinking. The impulsivity of the situation is similar albeit NOT THE SAME. But, neither stopped to think.

And, personally, yes, I would be upset if my DH died saving a rabbit. But, I would also be be mad if my DH died jumping in a lake to save 2 criminals who only ended up in the lake b/c they were intoxicated.

ETA: BTW jump the shark refers to an outrageous/over-the-top plot line in a tv show or movie or including something unlikely/over-the-top for the sake of novelty. That doesn’t apply to any of this.

Last edited:
Ok now I think you might really have a comprehension problem. I specifically said it wasn’t the same. But, it was still a poor choice as the lake was very rough. He should have waited for professionals, but he just impulsively did what he thought he should at the time. The point was to demonstrate impulsivity. It doesn’t matter if YOU think a rabbit isn’t worth it, the guy who saved it acted impulsively in a crisis situation. He saw a living thing in danger & did something without thinking. The impulsivity of the situation is similar albeit NOT THE SAME. But, neither stopped to think.

And, personally, yes, I would be upset if my DH died saving a rabbit. But, I would also be be mad if my DH died jumping a lake to save 2 criminals who only ended up in the lake b/c they were intoxicated.

So the guy who thought he was saving 2 people should have thought but the bunny saver was just reacting in a "crisis"

Btw - no rabbit is not worth a human life. He was not In crisis. If you have been in a real crisyis it is not a rabbit in a fire.

You know until you actually have had to react to a real crisis you have no idea.

So the guy who thought he was saving 2 people should have thought but the bunny saver was just reacting in a "crisis"

Btw - no rabbit is not worth a human life. He was not I crisis. If you have been in a real crisyis it is not a rabbit in a fire.

You know until you actually have had to react to a real crisis you have no idea.
Why is this so hard?? NEITHER of them stopped to think! They were BOTH acting impulsively in a crisis situation!!! And YES the guy with the bunny WAS in a crisis situation b/c there was fire all around him & he was likely fleeing also. It’s not the bunny that made it a crisis. It was the FIRE!! But, he was likely in crisis mode so he made a dumb decision.

And EXACTLY YOU never know how you’ll act until you’re in THAT crisis situation. So, no one should judge anyone on their actions during a crisis!! And, I am a licensed mental health professional, so I am VERY familiar with things that happen to ppl’s psyche/mental status when they go in crisis mode.

And, sure it’s hard to compare a bunny to a human, BUT, that’s not the conversation. That’s your opinion that ALL human life is more valuable, etc. I’m saying I would be very upset if my DH died saving 2 drunk/drugged out criminals. I’m not comparing a bunny to the criminals. I’m saying that to me, it’s not worth my DH’s life to save those 2 ppl. In that scenario, for me, my DH’s life is much more valuable than theirs. I wouldn’t think “well at least he died a hero”. I would be mad/upset that he risked his life for them. Of course, my DH is not a rescuer or first responder. I would likely have a different opinion if he were & that was his job.

Up here where we are surrounded by wildlife, the one that I find amusing is people stopping to "help" turtles across the road. First, many are snapping turtles, and can literally break a person's limb with their jaw strength, so not the best idea unless you're trained/familiar with them. Second, if the turtle is headed across the road, don't bother trying to put them back on the same side, they'll just try again. Yes, they are slow, but better to allow them to make their own way across.

Terri

I won’t link it because it’s on buzzfeed but there are two guys trying to take credit for being the bunny whisperer lol

Really?!?! Ok, I'll say to you what I say to people who do this on our highways all the time - ok, I'll let your widow know the bunny/duck/goose survived - they can put that on your headstone.

Crisis is your life, your loved ones lives, a human life not a RABBIT!!!!

Crisis is those things. Your mind going into crisis mode is you jumping into action without thinking. Like the pp said he was probably already there with him having to evacuate. Perhaps he had been thinking about the poor animals and just saw the rabbit. He jumped into action, without thinking.

When my 33 year old was 16, we drove up to the house and found it on fire. He jumped into action, grabbed a water hose, wet his shirt and covered his face and went to the house to save our pets and as much as he could. When the firemen got there they were all patting him on the back because he did everything right and saved our pets and belongings. But he said he didn't think about it, he just acted instinctively. He was in crisis mode.

Up here where we are surrounded by wildlife, the one that I find amusing is people stopping to "help" turtles across the road. First, many are snapping turtles, and can literally break a person's limb with their jaw strength, so not the best idea unless you're trained/familiar with them. Second, if the turtle is headed across the road, don't bother trying to put them back on the same side, they'll just try again. Yes, they are slow, but better to allow them to make their own way across.

Terri

I have seen a lot of that here. Not sure where it comes from exactly but there are posts all over FB about "saving the turtles" and even showing you how to pick them up. Dh stopped one day and told a guy "that thing is going to take a finger". The guy just stared at him.

I think he had good intentions but I think he acted foolish and could have out himself and others in harms way.

Why is this so hard?? NEITHER of them stopped to think! They were BOTH acting impulsively in a crisis situation!!! And YES the guy with the bunny WAS in a crisis situation b/c there was fire all around him & he was likely fleeing also. It’s not the bunny that made it a crisis. It was the FIRE!! But, he was likely in crisis mode so he made a dumb decision.

And EXACTLY YOU never know how you’ll act until you’re in THAT crisis situation. So, no one should judge anyone on their actions during a crisis!! And, I am a licensed mental health professional, so I am VERY familiar with things that happen to ppl’s psyche/mental status when they go in crisis mode.

And, sure it’s hard to compare a bunny to a human, BUT, that’s not the conversation. That’s your opinion that ALL human life is more valuable, etc. I’m saying I would be very upset if my DH died saving 2 drunk/drugged out criminals. I’m not comparing a bunny to the criminals. I’m saying that to me, it’s not worth my DH’s life to save those 2 ppl. In that scenario, for me, my DH’s life is much more valuable than theirs. I wouldn’t think “well at least he died a hero”. I would be mad/upset that he risked his life for them. Of course, my DH is not a rescuer or first responder. I would likely have a different opinion if he were & that was his job.

I AM a first responder so I deal with real crisis on a pretty regular basis. So I am VERY VERY familiar(does capitalizing make it more important) with the difference between & adrenaline reaction & real crisis. Pretty practiced on how I react.

Yeah sticking by human life is more important than a rabbit. And your DH knew they were drugged out criminals before hand how? Was it written on the car? Do not save me I am a worthless human being - save the rabbit instead.

See I don't get a choice of who is worthy of saving.

And now this could go round & round. Bunny - no, person(even worthless people, glad I don't have to decide who gets saved & who doesn't) - yes

I AM a first responder so I deal with real crisis on a pretty regular basis. So I am VERY VERY familiar(does capitalizing make it more important) with the difference between & adrenaline reaction & real crisis. Pretty practiced on how I react.

Yeah sticking by human life is more important than a rabbit. And your DH knew they were drugged out criminals before hand how? Was it written on the car? Do not save me I am a worthless human being - save the rabbit instead.

See I don't get a choice of who is worthy of saving.

And now this could go round & round. Bunny - no, person(even worthless people, glad I don't have to decide who gets saved & who doesn't) - yes
First that makes you a trained professional so the way you respond in a crisis is not necessarily how someone untrained will respond.

Capitalization was/is used only to make the point more clear b/c it seems that you’re either purposefully or accidentally misinterpreting what I am saying. It doesn’t make it more important.

It’s not between the bunny & the criminals. I feel like you’re having some confusion on that point. I am saying that not all life (including human life) is valuable enough TO ME to risk my own or my family members’ lives. I did explain in a previous post that the guy who jumped in the lake likely knew that these 2 ppl were up to no good b/c he was in the establishment that they’d been kicked out of. It doesn’t mean that he knew or even believed that they didn’t deserve saving. The only point of bringing him up was that he impulsively jumped in the lake, which he should not have done, b/c he ended up needing to be rescued & then died. But, he didn’t think about it before he did it. As far as my DH, I was hypothetically saying I would be very upset if my DH died trying to save someone that I felt was not worth saving (IMO) even if my DH didn’t know that at the time.

Of course, you have the right to decide what is valuable to you. But, your pp, made a statement about that value as if it were fact & not just your opinion. And, I get that as first responder like you said your are that you’re view is & has to be different then mine. But, of course, I still have the right to my opinion.

Op here. Worked all weekend so didn't get a chance to respond more.

Thanks for the comments, I can appreciate everyone's views, even if they differ from my own or from others'.

I always think about things from the perspective of, "God knows even when a sparrow falls", therefore even sparrows are important to me, too. I am also an "equal opportunity pull over-er", i.e. I'll generally pull over for anyone or anything that needs help, humans or animals, and I can think of many times I've done so for both. That said, I would try my damndest not to put anyone or myself in harms way when doing so if I could help it, but that's not to say that sometimes bad things happen to people who try to help.

Thinking here specifically of Good Samaritans who've been hit and killed at the side of the road while helping someone broken down, or others who've lost their lives trying to help others. Did anyone see the story several days ago about a man whose dog had run onto train tracks and he ran on to the tracks to try to save him and they both got killed. Remembering in that article that the man's son said something to the effect of, "He died for something he loved" and they weren't surprised by his actions, etc. Lots of cases we can cite.

Anyway, I agree that this was a split-second type decision and adrenaline was no doubt pumping. I do like to see people who are willing to help others or get involved and I do think our world needs more of these type of people, so he is a hero to me, even though it was just a rabbit. We know from all the recent storms and such that people want to find a way to help even if it's just a little something, and maybe this was this guy's way of doing what he could.

I see someone else mentioned it, too, but there was apparently an imposter who first pretended to be the guy in the video, until the real rescuer stopped forward. (I was wondering why luvbunnies post said the rabbit went to a rescue when the imposter's story was that he let the rabbit go free on the other side of the road...) So some of the details may have been hazy. I'm glad no one else was hurt and all went well in the end. Looking at commentary from some of the articles it seems that most people felt the man was a hero, but there were also plenty who called him an idiot (a term I really didn't want to use here!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter