I am irrationally bothered by....

A lot of these things aren't irrational. Just peeves. I would say irrational is something that just shouldn't bother anyone really but for some reason it irks you.

For me it's pruny fingers. I gross out at the sight of them.

Mornings.
In that case I freak out if someone touches my ears, or I touch their ears.

Also feet in general don't bother me, but if someone else's bare feet touch my feet I get skeeved out.

A lot of these things aren't irrational. Just peeves. I would say irrational is something that just shouldn't bother anyone really but for some reason it irks you.

For me it's pruny fingers. I gross out at the sight of them.

Mornings.

I read it "irrationally bothered" as: the reaction is not the appropriate level of irritation in proportion to the irritant.
Not necessarily that the irritant itself is irrational.

Maybe I misunderstood.

But if we are talking irrational irritants, don't rub your feet on a carpet or rub two pieces of fabric (creating a sound) together in front of me because it makes me feel like I'm going to vomit.

People who turn "right on red" when I still have a green arrow to turn left into the same spot.

I have a different set of peeves related to right turns. One is the driver who refuses to turn right on red when it's safe, but waits until the light turns red. Or the driver who refuses to turn on red from a second right turn lane. Another that's really galling is a particular intersection with two right turn only lanes and a green right arrow. I've seen drivers refuse to turn on the green arrow from both lanes. They'll wait until the regular green, and some even go straight.

I suppose these complaints also may seem odd to someone used to driving on the left side.

I don't know if these describe any irrational bother though.

People looking at their phones while driving, even at intersections. You don't really need to look at your phone! You're just momentarily bored and have forgotten how to otherwise use your eyes and your mind! That text will wait! That DIS thread is not going anywhere! Just drive correctly and respectfully!

Thank you. I feel a little better now...

Baggers at the grocery store who don't use the insulated bags for the cold stuff!

WTH is up with that? I'm pretty sure baggers get zero training anymore. It's not unusual for us to come home to find canned goods on top of bread, eggs, etc.

For my submission I'll mention people who are walking in a crowded environment who suddenly stop. This is a common occurrence at WDW. You and several thousand people are walking down Main St. when suddenly the people in front of you come to a complete halt. Hello!!!! There are people on every side of you, sort of like when you're driving your car. Would you just stop on the highway? No, you'd move over to the side to get out of the way of on-coming traffic.
Years ago I coined a term for this phenomenon, feel free to use it: "Pedi-Freeze"

People who say "gone missing" instead of "disappeared".

If someone can explain how someone or something and "go missing", I will withdraw my objection.

I HATE "gone missing." I am not sure how using it ever started. To me, it's right up there with waiting "on line" instead of "in line," unless, of course, you are physically standing ON a line drawn on the ground. (To be "online," which we all are when reading this thread, is a different situation!)

When things go missing in my house. I am a counter...I count the bath towel sets when I put them away, count the forks, knives and spoons, etc. Then when one is missing I tear the house apart. My family makes fun of me for it. MIL accidently took a hand towel home in her suitcase once. My in laws joked about how crazy it must be making me until finally she called me to tell me she had it. I'd already torn my house apart and interrogated my family over the missing towel. They all thought it was hysterical!

I am currently missing 2 dinner forks, 3 salad forks and a nice Wusthof Trident knife from the knife block. WHERE do these things GO!!!??? I get that my family may have accidently thrown away a fork or two, or left one at school or work or something. But the knife??!!

Yes, I know this obsession is slightly OCD.

Last edited:
People who say "gone missing" instead of "disappeared".

If someone can explain how someone or something and "go missing", I will withdraw my objection.

I HATE "gone missing." I am not sure how using it ever started. To me, it's right up there with waiting "on line" instead of "in line," unless, of course, you are physically standing ON a line drawn on the ground. (To be "online," which we all are when reading this thread, is a different situation!)

When things go missing in my house. I am a counter...I count the bath towel sets when I put them away, count the forks, knives and spoons, tec. Then when one is missing I tear the house apart. My family makes fun of me for it. MIL accidently took a hand towel home in her suitcase once. My in laws joked about how crazy it must be making me until finally she called me to tell me she had it. I'd already torn my house apart and interrogated my family over the missing towel. They all thought it was hysterical!

I am currently missing 2 dinner forks, 3 salad forks and a nice Wusthof Trident knife from the knife block. WHERE do these things GO!!!??? I get that my family may have accidently thrown away a fork or two, or left one at school or work or something. But the knife??!!

Yes, I know this obsession is slightly OCD.
HA! I posted my "go missing" thread before I read your responses!

Dora the Explorer

Mariah Carey

People who use baby talk

Parents who try to reason/bargain with tantruming toddlers

Cheerleaders/Cheerleading in general

Vocal fry

I didn't think I'd have anything to add to this until I read your last item, vocal fry. I can't even begin to describe how irritated I get with this one.

dogs left outside or chained 24 hours day

Ok, I will admit we did that for a few days a couple weeks ago. In our defense, the dog got sprayed by a skunk and absolutely REEKED. She is much better now so is back to being in the house with us all the time.

Two of my pet peeves involve driving. I absolutely hate it when I am trying to turn left and people behind me can't wait the extra 10 seconds for me to turn so they pass on the right. This happened all. the. time. at our old house. It was a 2 lane road, there was no passing lane on the right, people actually had to drive off the shoulder on to grass in order to get around us. DH nearly got creamed by a logging truck once because even that guy did it. We both came so close so many times to getting rear ended, it was awful.

I also loathe the people who, upon discovering the lanes merge, decide on a nearly empty road (meaning just me and the other car) that it is necessary to just mash it from 100 yards or more back so that they can get in front of me when the lane merges. I especially loved it the time a person behind me did that and didn't over take me until the lanes were actually merging which caused me to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident. As luck would have it a sheriff deputy was driving by in the opposite lane and witnessed the whole thing. I laughed so hard when I saw the cruiser pull a U turn and go after the guy.

Attention seekers on social media who post vague comments like, "I should have seen this coming" which then leaves everyone to wonder what was meant by that. Or a posted vague message directed at an unnamed person like, "Act your age and not your shoe size." Someone will ask, "What's going on?" The poster will reply, "I'll message you." :rolleyes: Don't post a vague message at all on social media if you aren't going to say what is wrong and don't post to only one person. That's what texting and private messages are for.

Also I get bugged when people post selfies that are so obviously doctored with an app to make the person look 50 pounds lighter where one-third of the neck and cheeks are missing. Embrace who you are. We all know you and know what you look like in real life.

Memes and "women beware" stories on social media that aren't fact-checked. I can sniff those out a mile away. Google is your friend.

I must need a break from social media. :crazy2:

That and the people who are constantly posting tragic things for sympathy. Sometimes I feel bad about feeling this way but a woman I went to HS with has 2 young kids at home and about 3 or 4 years ago she and her husband decided to have a third. Unfortunately, the baby was stillborn at 7 months which was absolutely tragic. Since then, she has repeatedly tried to have another child. She has no trouble getting pregnant but cannot carry a pregnancy beyond the first couple of months. Every single time this happens she posts that she is pregnant, then posts that the doctors don't think it's viable but with the power of prayer we can prove him wrong, then posts that she had a miscarriage. The entire thing is so sad but at the same time, I do not think it is appropriate to continually post updates on your doomed pregnancies.....all 19 of them. I am not making that number up. 19 times. At some point, you need to listen to the doctors, and accept that you cannot carry another pregnancy until the underlying thyroid condition is under control rather than continuing to go through it over and over.

People walking too close behind me. It drives DH crazy because I'll move over and stop to let them pass.
I will move aside as well, makes me nuts. Also people who get all up in my personal space in a line. I can't figure out what they're trying to accomplish with this. I guess technically you are one step closer but you're not going to get to the front any faster it's the same amount of people still ahead of you.

I thought of one that is new to me, as of the last 3 years (since I had my MRI).

I can't stand to feel trapped. This includes those restraints on roller coasters. I feel like I can't breathe! It is so irrational.

For example: Three Orlando rides I love: Rockin' Roller Coaster, Mission Space, and Forbidden Journey. LOVE THEM......but I have had a much harder time with both of them the last 3 years. As soon as that bar comes over my head, I feel trapped, I hyperventilate, I get light headed, it is horrible.

I have tried and tried to make it go away. I force myself to go, but even then, some days I can take it with a lot of deep breathing and self talk. Some days, I simply cannot do it.

I have no idea what is wrong with me. I start thinking of getting trapped in there for a long period of time, etc....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter