I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see the rumor is Amex is planning to use the color/design for its – also rumored – forthcoming super premium card in between the Platinum and Centurion, again rumored to be called "Optio"? I can see this as a slick piece of marketing. Optio is a second-in-command position behind the Centurion, who led a centuria of a Roman army. The Centurion card is all black. The Optio card may be all white. (And hey, Apple's new hotness is all white.) The Platinum is platinum. The Gold is gold or rose gold. And the Green is green and "green."

If you believe the comments on DoC's original story: "A little bird told me it would be named Optio. Would be $1500/year. Would be by invite only to current Platinum holders, but easier to obtain than Centurion. Would have most of the Centurion benefits except concierge and Equinox and would be Delta Gold instead of Platinum." I recall DoC also thinks the Platinum card's Centurion Lounge benefit may get more restrictions with the release of this rumored card.
I would probably get this and shift everything I could to delta.. if I met the reqs :) Disney and disney runs are my gym :)

Update to Chase/BJs saga. Used 3 cards for 3 $150 Disney GC orders. SMd on 2 cards. One was denied immediately saying I hadn’t purchased before offer expired (because apparently they can’t read a calendar) Replied with screenshot of order showing one purchase. Got a “Will reply within 12 business days”. They finally replied today saying I didn’t meet the requirements despite having made one purchase it was billed separately so it doesn’t count. But to be nice, they credited me $25 on my now zero balance. So I used that card to buy DS his coveted Cheesehead hat today.

The other SM got a reply that they would check with the seller, then later applied a $25 credit. I will take my $50 and forget the third card. Since all 3 orders tracked on Rakuten, I paid $324.62 for $450 in Disney GCs. Win!
Did you get the cash from Rakuten on your purchases? Mine tracked but then didn't pay out.

Approved! Chase Gremlins work Friday nights evidently. Minimum CL of 3k so I'll be moving some credit but it's in my account and I can SM to have it expedited at least.

I guess don't apply 3 hours after lowering CLs? I gave up a bunch of credit but it probably didn't update in the systems fully. Or they're wondering why my "biz" needs all this credit that doesn't get used on the regular. "You mean CCs aren't like tissues? I shouldn't get a new one for each charge?" :p

Now all I have to worry about this weekend is if I can get the card by Wednesday :rolleyes:

So this all came up in a rush as we decided to take advantage of the mild winter so far and have some landscape cleanup done, to the tune of 4-5k. Well since it is winter but not any snow yet really, it's a slow time for landscapers so they are ready to come out now - like they called me to schedule instead of waiting for me to call them and agree to the quote even! So I've got my fingers crossed I get the card in time and the plan comes together.

We could have gone for a CIP with that amount of spend but we would really like the 12 months 0% float that would come with a CIC or CIU. I probably mentioned before, but I hate pulling money out of savings accounts. (Even if it's what the money is for, just hurts :laughing:.) Since the CIC has no support and this spend won't hit a bonus category (plus I have no need for another), I cross supported from hubby's CIU for my own and we'll end up with between 70-73k with spend, support bonus (15k), and sign up bonus(50k). Being able to pay over time and keep my cash reserves is worth the slightly decreased return. Sometimes the intangibles outweigh the numbers.

Since you paid cash if you cancel your DSs reservation the funds must be used for a flight for your DS a year from the original booking date
Thank you. What if in the same scenario I want to make my P2 the CP? Can I cancel her reservation if it is the same as mine and then add her as the CP? Sounds like I’d have to use the travel credit on her later then?

For anyone considering Uniqlo - You get 10% off if you are at Disney Springs and have a D23 membership.

Did somebody say...SPREADSHEET?????? Man I love Spreadsheets!!

My first sheet tracks the bonuses, I have one for each player:

Credit CardAcctPersonAUDate AppliedDate CancelledAnnual FeeAnnual BonusSignup BonusMin. SpendBonus ReceivedBonus Value% ReturnNotesLast Activity

• Credit Card is the Issuer and then the name of the card
  • Acct is the last 4 digits (or 5 digits for amex)
  • Person is whether it was me or my wife. Even though they are separate sheets this lets me sort if I combine them for analysis
  • AU is an "X" if I added an Authorized User (side note...DON'T do this on personal cards as it adds to the 5/24 count for that player too!)
  • Date Applied is actually the Date Approved, I guess I should fix that, haha!
  • Date Cancelled is only filled in if I cancelled the card
  • Annual Fee = the amount of the AF
  • Annual Bonus = any amount received annually as a bonus for having this card (i.e. bonus SW pts or the CSR travel credit)
  • Signup Bonus = the amount of points, miles, money, etc. I received as a SUB
  • Min Spend = the MSR required
  • Bonus Value = The value of the SUB (usually this is inclusive of the base spend too)
  • % Return = Bonus Value divided by Min. Spend
  • Notes = random notes
  • Last Activity = the last spend I put on the card. Useful to make sure I put something on cards every 6 months or so to keep them from being closed for inactivity
  • This one is sorted by Date Applied and I highlight Biz cards in a different color. Makes it really easy to see my 5/24 status :D
I also have a spreadsheet where I keep track of my loyalty account balances:
ProgramPersonPointsLast ActivityExpirationAs OfApprox. ValueNotesMembership ID

• Program = Name of the program (i.e. SW Rapid Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc.)
  • Person = Me, my wife, or my daughters - whose account is it
  • Points = balance
  • Last Activity = last qualified activity (for programs with an expiration)
  • Expiration = calculated field based on last activity and how long points are good for
  • As Of = the last time I updated this account, if something is wrong this is how I tell when it might have occured
  • Approx. Value = how I value the points
  • Notes = random noets
  • Membership ID = my account number, useful when booking flights and such

That is awesome!

Yes, just imagine a life without spreadsheets.

The post it note queen knows what that is like.

Notorious C.I.P. (yes that's me) just laid down a track feat. GrandFloRoba (@PolyRob) on the RotR thread.

I really think I have a future as a rapper guys...

https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...ad-post-1-2-no-spoilers.3782822/post-61446463

Brilliant!

And for anyone else wondering what AmEx MR points are worth, AmEx has a calculator you can see without having a MR card. You select which card you'd be using and it'll show you the rates. I'm not sure why you select a card since I'm pretty sure they're fixed redemption rates, but I'm not an MR expert, maybe there's a super secret perk to a crazy card I'm not aware of :laughing: Maybe I should select each card and see!

https://global.americanexpress.com/rewards/calculator
As an example, here's what booking through the portal will get you, from .07 - 1 cpp depending on what you're booking.
View attachment 465726

And I'm pretty sure this is why people view the MR program as complicated and Chase's URs are easy in comparison.

It is definitely more complex. I find Amex MR valuable for airline transfers mostly unless you also have an Amex biz Plat card. Airfare purchased with points is pretty good with the 35% points back. Add in the discounted airfare and it’s a pretty solid deal if you use it often enough.

I have yet to find them valuable for flights either. The same flight right now on Delta, that is $318.80 in MAIN cabin or 23500 SkyMiles is $325.78 or 32578 MR's in ECONOMY. That's terrible, when you could just transfer the MR's to Delta.

I consistently find discounted flights via their travel portal. The Africa flights I’ve been stalking are pricing at $3500 and up. The Amex travel portal shows the same flights for $2900.

agreed I snagged 4 seasons suites for 199$ florida resident rate ive seen rack rate for 350s it seems better no I mean its still technically on property no?

I didn’t know 4 seasons did FL residents discounts. Thanks for sharing. I will totally be looking in to this. I’ve always wanted to try them out.

best CSR video I've seen I like this guy is he in this thread? feels like he would fit in :0

He lost me at cash back and not paying annual fees.

Did you see the rumor is Amex is planning to use the color/design for its – also rumored – forthcoming super premium card in between the Platinum and Centurion, again rumored to be called "Optio"? I can see this as a slick piece of marketing. Optio is a second-in-command position behind the Centurion, who led a centuria of a Roman army. The Centurion card is all black. The Optio card may be all white. (And hey, Apple's new hotness is all white.) The Platinum is platinum. The Gold is gold or rose gold. And the Green is green and "green."

If you believe the comments on DoC's original story: "A little bird told me it would be named Optio. Would be $1500/year. Would be by invite only to current Platinum holders, but easier to obtain than Centurion. Would have most of the Centurion benefits except concierge and Equinox and would be Delta Gold instead of Platinum." I recall DoC also thinks the Platinum card's Centurion Lounge benefit may get more restrictions with the release of this rumored card.

Have the rumors stated if this card will have the 50% points back on airfare paid with MR?

Ha, and it was good thing I purchased DS a ticket And not relied on my CP. I went to add DS and kept getting an error. And then I thought about it while I was asleep and thought to check the flight. Yep, SOLD OUT! Good thing I didn’t cancel first. Maybe I could have grabbed it but not worth it to try since travel voucher was free.
Wow, that was lucky you hadn’t cancelled his ticket first!

Thank you. What if in the same scenario I want to make my P2 the CP? Can I cancel her reservation if it is the same as mine and then add her as the CP? Sounds like I’d have to use the travel credit on her later then?
If it were me, I would add her first to make sure the flight isn’t sold out. Then cancel her other ticket. But then you are going to have a travel credit for her that she doesn’t need if she is your CP. Unless you plan to switch her for a different companion later.

So if they're all on cash, what I'd do is cancel the cash flight for your son. Name him as your companion. Save his credit for your next flight (which can be used 12 months from when you originally booked). When that flight is over you change your companion to your wife for flights going forward and hope to have an opportunity to use your son's travel fund on a future flight.
Got it. Thanks so much! We can change the CP up to 3 times a year?

Ha, and it was good thing I purchased DS a ticket And not relied on my CP. I went to add DS and kept getting an error. And then I thought about it while I was asleep and thought to check the flight. Yep, SOLD OUT! Good thing I didn’t cancel first. Maybe I could have grabbed it but not worth it to try since travel voucher was free.
Phewww...thanks for sharing. Good to know

If it were me, I would add her first to make sure the flight isn’t sold out. Then cancel her other ticket. But then you are going to have a travel credit for her that she doesn’t need if she is your CP. Unless you plan to switch her for a different companion later.
Yes, based on @Alexle2007 @SouthFayetteFan @palhockeymomof2 help, I’m thinking I will switch up companions later.

You can cancel P2 but since on the same reservation as you would call SW and they can do it and you are correct..a travel credit for her to use

Booked Carnival Mardi Gras for 2022. First roller coaster at sea! 🎢

We were on the Carnival Panorama for New Year's. Really enjoyed the food, especially the variety. Room steward was the best since DCL. It's a good thing we liked Carnival because they still owe me $400 in GC! I canceled and rebooked an excursion with the 10% off Black Friday sale. Problem was it was booked with GC and I didn't know their GC don't reload. So the refund doesn't just go back to the GC, they're supposed to mail you new ones. Called twice about a week before our cruise (should have followed up sooner). Need to call again.

Was lamenting that I won't be able to use the current Amex Offer since we were PIF for the Panorama. Turns out I do get to use it. :) Over 2 years to wait for more Amex Offers. Hope to get pretty darn close to 20% off! 😆
I got that offer too... but mine is PIF (ur points) I was wishing I could apply it to onboard cash or something to get the credit....

I was able to use the SW adjustment "method" to save 24,404 RR’s for our outgoing flight in May to MCO! :yay: :yay: I was also able to change our return flight from 6 am to 1:30 pm, which sounds so much more enjoyable! We should be able to enjoy our last full day instead of worrying about getting up at 3 am for the flight home! Maybe we can fit in a nice breakfast at Citywalk that day (we’ll be at UO for the last 3 nights of our trip). Thanks to everyone who posted about this!

Now - opinions needed please! Right now we’re booked on a 6:10 am flight to MCO, arriving in Orlando at 9:50 am. The other direct option we have is a 10:55 am flight, arriving at 2:40 pm. Would you switch to the later flight? My preference is usually to arrive earlier, but my DH hates these early flights, and they’re hard on the kids too. Also, we’ll be flying out of KC (driving up the night before) and staying at my SIL’s house, and she’ll drive us to the airport. We're also imposing on her to get up that early to drop us off at the airport. Another negative is if we rent a car (which we normally do), that’s an additional one day of rental we’ll need (I think) because of the later return flight. The pro for the earlier flight is more time a Disney! Thoughts?
I like earlier..... since everyone in my house is always up anyway,it's just killing time at home so why not just get going?

Thank you! I know we should ask for something but man, I'm just worn out by them. I cannot believe it took 2+ mos to get this resolved! And we still have been charged for 2 mos on the 'free' account. I was thinking about doing a chargeback with Amex but we have no proof of anything to send. I'm not even sure how that would work. I'm going to keep calling Disney though until it's done.

Just attach the original receipt showing you paid for three years but got charged monthly fees because they could not get your account working. Tho maybe if you used different cards it might not work but the same card for both charges I would try it.

Update to Chase/BJs saga. Used 3 cards for 3 $150 Disney GC orders. SMd on 2 cards. One was denied immediately saying I hadn’t purchased before offer expired (because apparently they can’t read a calendar) Replied with screenshot of order showing one purchase. Got a “Will reply within 12 business days”. They finally replied today saying I didn’t meet the requirements despite having made one purchase it was billed separately so it doesn’t count. But to be nice, they credited me $25 on my now zero balance. So I used that card to buy DS his coveted Cheesehead hat today.

The other SM got a reply that they would check with the seller, then later applied a $25 credit. I will take my $50 and forget the third card. Since all 3 orders tracked on Rakuten, I paid $324.62 for $450 in Disney GCs. Win!
I had the same issue with the BJ's offer. They would not budge for me however. They would not give me the credit for either card. Not happy, gave them a piece of my mind and will be closing both cards anyways.

Had 80k+ UR show up pending in P2’s CIP acct this week. Met spend Monday or Tuesday, I believe it was. Now gotta focus on his BBP that we got for him early December. I’m still really into my new Amex Gold card, especially with the CSR changes. Not sure I will be keeping it. My card anniversary is in October so I have a while to decide. It’s just so versatile with the redemption possibilities through their travel portal. Can’t decide!

Got plenty of expenses coming up for these MSR’s. DD had physical therapy due to a concussion last fall and we got the bill this week for what insurance didn’t cover. Property taxes are due in February. DH has dental work coming up also probably in February. o_O I feel grateful that having multiple MSRs makes me feel less stressed about paying these big bills. It’s almost fun but not quite. Considering it’s almost time to prepay our electric bill again, I’ll be ready for my next Chase card soon.

Just attach the original receipt showing you paid for three years but got charged monthly fees because they could not get your account working. Tho maybe if you used different cards it might not work but the same card for both charges I would try it.
It’s different cards, different names, different emails. We have nothing in writing from Disney saying they were giving us a free entitlement account. Disney does have it documented because the last CM we talked to found the info and he said it was set up wrong, which is why we were charged.

Also, on a personal note, since we’re all friends here, your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated for my family as my 90 year old grandma passed away this week. Her death wasn’t entirely unexpected as she’d had a number of health setbacks the last couple of months. Lots of family coming home for the weekend for the visiting and funeral. My son drove home (Ohio) from Nashville last night, narrowly missing the bad weather, which had me worried of course. We don’t have any major family conflicts (unusual these days!) so I expect this will be a comforting weekend of visiting, reminiscing, and mourning our loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter