I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could have gone for a CIP with that amount of spend but we would really like the 12 months 0% float that would come with a CIC or CIU. I probably mentioned before, but I hate pulling money out of savings accounts. (Even if it's what the money is for, just hurts :laughing:.) Since the CIC has no support and this spend won't hit a bonus category (plus I have no need for another), I cross supported from hubby's CIU for my own and we'll end up with between 70-73k with spend, support bonus (15k), and sign up bonus(50k). Being able to pay over time and keep my cash reserves is worth the slightly decreased return. Sometimes the intangibles outweigh the numbers.

I'm in this position now with the car loan we took out in December for the $1000 dealer credit. The plan was to just pay off the whole thing in January (like now) but I also hate to pull money out of savings. We definitely are paying off a large chunk of it but I'm going to play with the numbers this weekend to see if it makes any sense to keep a few thousand on the loan and pay it off through Serve (because of the points earned from purchasing gift cards).

Kind of churning related (but not really)....before Christmas Fresh Market (a smaller version of Whole Foods) had a promo when you purchase a $100.00 GC get $10.00 off a purchase between January 1 and January 26th. I redeemed the $10.00 slip of paper yesterday and the cashier handed it back to me and told me it is good for all purchases over $10.00 until January 26th. She said I can purchase $10.01 worth of groceries and just pay $0.01. I was back this morning and bought fresh fruit salad, 2 mangos and a protein drink for $2.94 (after the $10.00 off). I foresee many, many more visits to Fresh Market between now and January 26th :):)!
Wow! That's fantastic!

Off topic... what are the best hosting platforms and places to register domains?

I'm in the early stages of planning for a private practice on the side, and know nothing about this. Back in the day I played around with Wordpress but could never master it. I've also hosted on Bluehost and used godaddy for domains in the past but I've heard both of those are less desirable now.

I'm using SquareSpace to host my blog (with an Amex discount) and DH used GoDaddy for my domain address. I have heard that Wix is easier to use than SquareSpace. DH says there are other registrars that offer more help (and cost more) than GoDaddy but said he didn't need the help. I am very new to all of this, so take this all with a grain of salt. ;)

Off topic... what are the best hosting platforms and places to register domains?

I'm in the early stages of planning for a private practice on the side, and know nothing about this. Back in the day I played around with Wordpress but could never master it. I've also hosted on Bluehost and used godaddy for domains in the past but I've heard both of those are less desirable now.
I use (and recommend) Namecheap or Google Domains for registering a domain. GoDaddy is fine, but I feel they really nickel and dime you. In most circumstances you do not need to pay for email or SSL with them, most hosts provide these for you.

For hosting, Bluehost has really improved, but still there are things that irritate me about them. I keep forgetting I have to switch browsers to do certain things because Chrome doesn't always work with their portal. Their support has improved over the past 5 or so years though. Had bad experience with HostPapa, their support is just not helpful. Most of my clients are with Bluehost or myself (I offer hosting). I do like HostMantis lately, prices are nice and I've yet to be inconvenienced with anything (downtime, slow time, slow support). MediaTemple seems to have good uptime, but I've not used their support yet and they do not offer free SSL (whatever you choose, do make sure your site is secured with some type of SSL and you can get that for free.)

I build Wordpress sites, I know a little Wix/SquareSpace. My preference for WP is mostly because I've worked with it for so long, I can access the code to make changes if needed, I know the system completely, I just feel like I have more control. The downside being that you need to keep it updated and there's more to that than just hitting update button (backup first!). I believe Wix and SquareSpace take care of updates.

My DLR experts... if you had to pick between Monday and Friday at DLR, with your other 2 days being Sat/Sun, what would you pick?

ETA: Nevermind, as DH has decided he has an opinion. Doesn't he know I am the trip planner here? :rotfl:
I’m not an expert, but I’ve heard Monday’s for some reason are super packed. So I’d say Friday. There are some threads on the DL boards that talk about it.

@amalone1013 , I'm not local but I agree with what @marsh0013 says- Mondays apparently have been crazy. Hoping your husband chose wisely!

Having said that, all bets could be off due to ROTR opening yesterday. I guess the boarding groups were gone in 3 minutes... on the other hand, the line for RSR was EMPTY yesterday (per a post from their AP FB group) so there's that!

Whatever you decide, have the best time! I'll be back at the end of February from my DIS Divas trip so we are hoping for good luck with ROTR.

Also, on a personal note, since we’re all friends here, your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated for my family as my 90 year old grandma passed away this week. Her death wasn’t entirely unexpected as she’d had a number of health setbacks the last couple of months. Lots of family coming home for the weekend for the visiting and funeral. My son drove home (Ohio) from Nashville last night, narrowly missing the bad weather, which had me worried of course. We don’t have any major family conflicts (unusual these days!) so I expect this will be a comforting weekend of visiting, reminiscing, and mourning our loss.

Thinking of you and your family and praying for a wonderful healing gathering with family and friends.

Also, on a personal note, since we’re all friends here, your thoughts and prayers would be appreciated for my family as my 90 year old grandma passed away this week. Her death wasn’t entirely unexpected as she’d had a number of health setbacks the last couple of months. Lots of family coming home for the weekend for the visiting and funeral. My son drove home (Ohio) from Nashville last night, narrowly missing the bad weather, which had me worried of course. We don’t have any major family conflicts (unusual these days!) so I expect this will be a comforting weekend of visiting, reminiscing, and mourning our loss.
I'm so sorry for your loss :hug: I hope you and your family will hold tight to the good memories of time spent with her.

We have a 6 am flight out, if there were a10:55 I would have done it. Our other option for a direct would have been leaving at 6:30 pm. My whole family hates the idea of a super early flight but they rather do that then get there are 10 pm. That’s what helped make our decision.
I like earlier..... since everyone in my house is always up anyway,it's just killing time at home so why not just get going?

Thanks for the input! I went ahead and adjusted to the later flight. DH is happier with this, and I don't feel guilty about imposing on SIL. Plus the kids can stay up later and play with their cousins so they'll be happy. We'll just plan on going to the park that evening when it's cooler anyways. We usually avoid going in the middle of the day when it's hottest and the storms usually pop up.

@calypso726 they do I didn't see an email blast last year though I think I'm still signed up to get promotions I just emailed them to double-check that I wasn't removed.. We also got a good deal in WPB as well.

does anyone know if it's possible to have both the disney free card and the disney premier card at one time? I'm thinking about the premier card because the sign up bonus is great...but switching from the free version to the premier version is a bit of a bummer switch wise ($50 statement bonus)

State of the DISchurners Update
We have a lot of major stuff circulating right now so I wanted to do a quick, one comment update on things you might have missed:

1) Support Link Thread Refresh
  • Check out THIS COMMENT for more details
  • I will remove the old threads on Sunday and make one final mention of this
2) CSR Annual Fee is Increasing by $100 and some new benefits coming
  • This post from Doctor of Credit has a pretty good write-up on it.
  • It's been discussed pretty much everywhere, and for most people it doesn't seem to be a good thing!
3) ELEVATED Southwest Offers on the Personal Card & General Thoughts/Guide on the SW Companion Pass
  • The new offers which were First Announced Here on our thread (yup I beat the blogs to this one) are for 75,000 total SW RR points for $5k spend.
  • These are available through SUPPORT LINKS on DISchurners until 2/18/20 so you don't need to rush if your pacing isn't quite right for another Chase card yet.
  • The Fireside Chat on the Southwest Companion Pass remains a great resource on all things Southwest Credit Cards.
  • Make sure to also read the stickied first comment on the CP Fireside Chat as it includes some additional thoughts!
4) ELEVATED American Express Offers (Delta, Biz Gold, BBP)
  • Discussed in detail HERE, Delta and BBP elevated offers through DISchurners support links expire on 1/29/20.
  • Elevated Biz gold offer through DISchurners support link expires on 2/5/20.
  • Additionally, some AFs on the Delta cards will be changing around this time too.
5) Southwest Change Loophole is back (and apparently being blasted everywhere these days).
  • First reported HERE, Window to change flights for 4/14 through 6/6 (and 14 days on either side if you play your cards right) will apparently close tomorrow night at Midnight.
So that's your general recap! This isn't something I'll be doing regularly, and all of this was reported on the DISchurners news thread, I just wanted to make sure that nobody missed all of this info that's circulating right now!

Last edited:
does anyone know if it's possible to have both the disney free card and the disney premier card at one time? I'm thinking about the premier card because the sign up bonus is great...but switching from the free version to the premier version is a bit of a bummer switch wise ($50 statement bonus)
You can hold both (I do). If you're new to this group though, that might not be your best play. There are certainly more lucrative offers out there!

Had 80k+ UR show up pending in P2’s CIP acct this week. Met spend Monday or Tuesday, I believe it was. Now gotta focus on his BBP that we got for him early December. I’m still really into my new Amex Gold card, especially with the CSR changes. Not sure I will be keeping it. My card anniversary is in October so I have a while to decide. It’s just so versatile with the redemption possibilities through their travel portal. Can’t decide!

Got plenty of expenses coming up for these MSR’s. DD had physical therapy due to a concussion last fall and we got the bill this week for what insurance didn’t cover. Property taxes are due in February. DH has dental work coming up also probably in February. o_O I feel grateful that having multiple MSRs makes me feel less stressed about paying these big bills. It’s almost fun but not quite. Considering it’s almost time to prepay our electric bill again, I’ll be ready for my next Chase card soon.

I know what you mean about expenses and MSR’s. It makes a bigger expense seem more like a good thing then a really bad pointless thing (says the person who just bought tires today). At least you feel like you are working toward something instead of losing money. :)

I am so sorry about your loss. Even when someone is older and it is somewhat expected it still is not good. Hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter