• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SouthFayetteFan you are making me think of this sketch :rotfl2:

(Skip to 1:50 for the relevant part) (NSFW-swearing)
LOL I was thinking about it too when he mentioned that. I've had this same conversation with people, although it was more contractors that don't take CC and come up with a random payment schedule. (Seriously, I'm not a baller who has 10k in their checking account that earns no interest. Why would you think you can just show up and get a check on the spot??
My answer was, well I could write a check but we'll both be disappointed in the outcome unless you wait a week... you see I have two accounts...)

Ok remembered one story.

Went to a show this weekend, they don't take AMEX in the parking garage. DHs cards in his wallet: AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold, Bonvoy Brilliant... CSR that needs cancelled. Plus debit card. So I'm in the passenger seat going, not that one, not that one, not that one... :rotfl:

After he goes, We need to redo the cards in my wallet, I should probably carry something besides AMEX and Chase in case somewhere doesn't take those.

Um, you mean Visa? Yeah it's pretty unlikely you run into somewhere that doesn't take Visa...

Ok remembered one story.

Went to a show this weekend, they don't take AMEX in the parking garage. DHs cards in his wallet: AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold, Bonvoy Brilliant... CSR that needs cancelled. Plus debit card. So I'm in the passenger seat going, not that one, not that one, not that one... :rotfl:

After he goes, We need to redo the cards in my wallet, I should probably carry something besides AMEX and Chase in case somewhere doesn't take those.

Um, you mean Visa? Yeah it's pretty unlikely you run into somewhere that doesn't take Visa...
This story PLUS the the little Kevin Hart bit reminds me of the time I tried to use an Amex Platinum at a Gabe's.

I did not carry my AMEX Schwab Plat for long...but while I was meeting the MSR I will say I felt like a baller whipping that baby out. BUT it also brought some embarrassment trying to use it at a Gabe's. (If you don't know what a Gabe's is...well it's one of those department stores selling "second quality" merchandise, irregulars, etc.)

So the cashier swipes my card and it doesn't work, and the cashier assumes it was was declined (they probably get A LOT of that at the store we were at, if you catch my drift ;))...She was very blunt about it while saying "Your card was declined, do you want me to try again or do you have one that will actually work"...Meanwhile my dad was laughing hysterically at me that I tried to use an Amex Platinum Card at that store. And of course, I'm thinking in my head, "Ok miss snotty cashier... the AF on this card is about 20x the amount I owed for these basketball shorts)"...

...Good times...

Last edited:
I sort of want to payoff all of my credit cards in full so I can refresh mint and have it say $0 debt. I want to OWE NOTHING!!!

I also realize that draining all of my cash to payoff my CCs early seems like a bad decision...so I will attempt to resist!

Ha, I'm often tempted to do this, but there's literally no point. Better to leave it sitting in savings/bank accounts I'm working on bonuses on.

@SouthFayetteFan you are making me think of this sketch :rotfl2:

(Skip to 1:50 for the relevant part) (NSFW-swearing)

Yes!! My BFF and I say this all the time :rotfl: Anytime we see something even mildly expensive, one of us like "see, the way my bank account is set up..."

This story PLUS the the little Kevin Hart bit reminds me of the time I tried to use an Amex Platinum at a Gabe's.

I did not carry my AMEX Schwab Plat for long...but while I was meeting the MSR I will say I felt like a baller whipping that baby out. BUT it also brought some embarrassment trying to use it at a Gabe's. (If you don't know what a Gabe's is...well it's one of those department stores selling "second quality" merchandise, irregulars, etc.)

So the cashier swipes my card and it doesn't work, and the cashier assumes it was was declined (they probably get A LOT of that at the store we were at, if you catch my drift ;))...She was very blunt about it while saying "Your card was declined, do you want me to try again or do you have one that will actually work"...Meanwhile my dad was laughing hysterically at me that I tried to use an Amex Platinum Card at that store. Meanwhile I'm thinking in my head, "Ok miss snotty cashier... the AF on this card is about 20x the amount I owed for these basketball shorts)"...

...Good times...

Ha, I love Gabe's! I got my "designer" purse there that I get a ton of compliments on. I'm sure something is wrong with it, but in the two years I've owned it, I've yet to figure out what it is. It's starting to get worn out though so I might need to go back and drop another $30...

Goals for 2020:

So I don't have anything super concrete, but I just want to continue to grow stashes...

1. Accrue more URs to use for Hawaii in December. Planning to stay at a Hyatt and probably have flights on United, so I will be using a lot of URs for both of those.
2. Just started building my MR stash. Would really like to max my Gold card earning abilities next year and maybe get myself out of pop-up hell.
3. Start maximizing my free night opportunities on cards. I haven't been very cognizant of these before, but now that I've managed to get myself two free nights at a Conrad for Japan, I'm going to start paying attention to it more closely. Definitely easier now that I'm MSing.
4. Come up with travel plans for 2021. So far, all I've got is Disney in the spring. My in-laws want to go out to Wyoming/Colorado at some point, so may start looking into that too.

I did not carry my AMEX Schwab Plat for long...but while I was meeting the MSR I will say I felt like a baller whipping that baby out.
We stopped at Verizon a couple days ago to use that AMEX offer, the $100 off $500 one. Bought GCs to apply to my bill. DH and I each had it, I had it on my Brilliant and DH on his Plat and the employee was like, wow you guys got the fancy cards!

I delete all of those emails. I'm kind of OCD about my emails. I don't like keeping a bunch of stuff in my trash. I might need to start doing that, though, because things like this have happened more than once. I just felt like I'd had the bag for so long so I felt no reason to keep the email. They did email me back already asking for some info so they might be able to find it

Not sure if anyone said something, but maybe instead of trash you could just make a folder and move the read emails to it, so sort of like trashing but then you could find them if needed

I sort of want to payoff all of my credit cards in full so I can refresh mint and have it say $0 debt. I want to OWE NOTHING!!!

I also realize that draining all of my cash to payoff my CCs early seems like a bad decision...so I will attempt to resist!

Ahhhh I like to do this though, especially to set up a new budget in YNAB. Oh no, this reminds me I was going to try and get all of the 2020 spreadsheets for work ready today because I won't be in until Jan 2 due to our bizarre work schedule.

Pottery barn kids said they won’t replace the backpack after looking at my pictures. They agreed to noticing the damage but said there aren’t any recalls on the backpack and noticed some discoloration from me using it. So.....I need a new backpack.

My previous one from college was Eddie Bauer and Dh still uses it because it’s such good quality. I tried finding one like it on amazon and the majority of what they have is lightweight foldable ones. That’s not really what I’m looking for. I want something with a lot of pockets that I can take to Disney but also use for my personal item on planes. Does anyone have a backpack brand they love?

Pottery barn kids said they won’t replace the backpack after looking at my pictures. They agreed to noticing the damage but said there aren’t any recalls on the backpack and noticed some discoloration from me using it. So.....I need a new backpack.

My previous one from college was Eddie Bauer and Dh still uses it because it’s such good quality. I tried finding one like it on amazon and the majority of what they have is lightweight foldable ones. That’s not really what I’m looking for. I want something with a lot of pockets that I can take to Disney but also use for my personal item on planes. Does anyone have a backpack brand they love?
I have a Swissgear scansmart laptop backpack. Got it for Alaska in 2018 and have used it as my second carry on since. I like the look of ebags backpacks better, but swissgear makes a great bag with a ton of compartments.

Yes, Amex and MC. Also electronic checks, but they even charge a fee for that! I like to use my FFDs and pay via Plastiq :)
Probably just some strange merchant agreement they made then. Some of my customers have some WEIRD credit card setups. I don't even know where the merchant processors dream some of this stuff up haha!

I have a Swissgear scansmart laptop backpack. Got it for Alaska in 2018 and have used it as my second carry on since. I like the look of ebags backpacks better, but swissgear makes a great bag with a ton of compartments.
I want something with fun colors too. I’ve never bought anything from ebags or even looked at their stuff before. I did find a cool pink swissgear bag. It says there’s one left in stock so I put it in my amazon cart for now

I want something with fun colors too. I’ve never bought anything from ebags or even looked at their stuff before. I did find a cool pink swissgear bag. It says there’s one left in stock so I put it in my amazon cart for now
My dh has a Swissgear backpack he uses on the plane. He loves it.
And dear lord, I CANNOT go to ebags site, or money will simply fall out of my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter