I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally received my dd's new CSP yesterday (had to wait for the mail from Florida to be couriered up here). Paid July taxes (due July 1st, but I paid late since I need the spend to meet the MSR). Will pay dd's August rent in 2 weeks, then August property taxes and I she should have 100K URs by the close of the second statement!

Next card for me dd? Not sure. But having a P2 seems like it will be fun :dance3:! Open to any suggestions. She has minimal income (around $25k - $30k) but good credit rating.

I can meet another MSR with the first installment of her tuition due in September.

Last edited:
This changed sometime during covid, you do not need to check in separately. I found out on my last trip that if you or the companion checks in the other will automatically be checked in. Regardless of who checked in first, in my experience, the companion was always one boarding position ahead of myself. I think this relates to the recent discussion of EBCI with companion pass, but I don't have any experience with that.
I wish they would tell us things like this! Our positions have been very close to one another (without EBCI) but not necessarily 1 different.

How long does Marriott elite status last? If I just hit Gold today, does it end December 31? Or do I get it for a full year? (Please don’t laugh - I know Marriott elite status is lame, but it can be helpful at Swolphin with room upgrades!)

How long does Marriott elite status last? If I just hit Gold today, does it end December 31? Or do I get it for a full year? (Please don’t laugh - I know Marriott elite status is lame, but it can be helpful at Swolphin with room upgrades!)

Feb 2023, I think.

The changeover is in February and if you qualify today, your coverage is the year of 2022. Then if you don't requalify, it would end Feb 2023. I say, 'I think' in case I've missed something new.

Another edit: The Brilliant may be a decent card for you. The FNC is 50k and you get automatic Gold. The card gives 15 nights towards status, and combined with a Chase Marriott, 30 nights. Last year they gave another bonus of 1/2 the nights of your status level, or 13 for gold, so people easily made Platinum, which gives suite night awards plus a few other choices. The card is $450, but $300 is a credit. Plus they gave $20/month restaurant credit this year. or $220 toward restaurants for the calendar year. Combined with the FNC, 'this year' it was a great deal.

Last edited:
Feb 2023, I think.

The changeover is in February and if you qualify today, your coverage is the year of 2022. Then if you don't requalify, it would end Feb 2023. I say, 'I think' in case I've missed something new.
Oh! That’s much better than I thought it would be! Fingers crossed that’s accurate! (And thanks!)

I saw the in branch offer on the CSP 100k looks to be expiring this month. Any rumors on the offer all together? My mom is going to go in branch tomorrow and apply. Then she's going to refer my sister to apply. I'm still working on my CIU MSR so I'm not ready to try for the MDD yet. I also REALLY wanted to get the IHG bonus again before I went over 5/24. UGH. I use all my IHG points to take the kids to the beach in NC every year. I guess that said, next summer will likely be Hawaii, so I guess the URs would make more sense if the offer is still high. Hmmmm.

Hello DIS credit card gurus! I am currently trying to plan a bucket list trip to the Maldives for my (gulp!) 40th birthday next May. I have more than enough AAdvantage miles to fly the 2 of us roundtrip in the business class QSuites on Qatar Airways. I'm now looking at several hotel options and one that sticks out is the brand new Le Meridien Maldives where I could stay for as little as 140,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for the entire week (or $700 + 85,000 which I would be fine with). I have status with Hyatt but the only redemption there is the Park Hyatt which is a crazy number of points. I have no status with Marriott and no Marriott-branded credit cards, with about 25,000 points in the bank. Current cards are AA and Hyatt co-branded, excellent credit rating.

So what should be my credit card strategy?
Marriot Bonvoy Boundless card? Currently offering 3 free nights (up to 150,000 point value). Not sure how this redemption would work...I guess pay for the remaining nights out of pocket?
Amex Platinum? I have received many targeted offers for this card but put off by the high annual fee. My understanding is I can transfer AmEx points 1:1 to Bonvoy and that would easily get me enough points.
Other suggestions out there?

Thanks for your wisdom! :)

Hello DIS credit card gurus! I am currently trying to plan a bucket list trip to the Maldives for my (gulp!) 40th birthday next May. I have more than enough AAdvantage miles to fly the 2 of us roundtrip in the business class QSuites on Qatar Airways. I'm now looking at several hotel options and one that sticks out is the brand new Le Meridien Maldives where I could stay for as little as 140,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for the entire week (or $700 + 85,000 which I would be fine with). I have status with Hyatt but the only redemption there is the Park Hyatt which is a crazy number of points. I have no status with Marriott and no Marriott-branded credit cards, with about 25,000 points in the bank. Current cards are AA and Hyatt co-branded, excellent credit rating.

Marriot Bonvoy Boundless card? Currently offering 3 free nights (up to 150,000 point value). Not sure how this redemption would work...I guess pay for the remaining nights out of pocket?
Amex Platinum? I have received many targeted offers for this card but put off by the high annual fee. My understanding is I can transfer AmEx points 1:1 to Bonvoy and that would easily get me enough points.

First off, never been to the Maldives!

But, consider the Brilliant card. It will give you 75K points right now, plus $100 fee toward global entry if you need it, $200 restaurant credit to use in the next 6 months and a 50K free night cert (but not till about 13-14 months later) as well as a lot of travel related perks. There is also a $300 travel credit to use when you stay at Marriott hotels, so if you went with the 85K and $700, you could use the $300 to offset the $700. The card would essentially cost you nothing. It may be worth it for you to read the rewards plus T and C on this card. It's a 3K spend.

You could do that asap and get your room booked. Good rates don't last and tend to disappear quickly. This is not the all time high for the card, but - you need your points to book now. Also, using the Boundless 3 free nights could backfire if they raise the points needed as the card gives a 35K cert, which would be useless if a night or two were raised to 40K per night. Just realized it is 50K per FNC - I'm still with the Brilliant on this, assuming you are talking a 5 night week. Plus 4 points nights give 5th night free. FNC do not generate free extra nights when used together.

There are other excellent cards out there as well and Amex MR can be transferred as well as Chase UR. I'd rather save those 2 currencies and use as many Marriott card generated points as possible. But, if you decide to save your cash, an MR card could help. The $300 credit is also good on food, drink and whatever you can charge to the room as well.

P1 and P2 could each get a card.

Last edited:

I think the Chase Sapphire Preferred would work for you if you qualify (no Sapphire bonus in the last 48 months). It's usually not a good value to transfer Chase UR to Bonvoy, but there's a 50% transfer bonus right now and you have a specific high value use for it. The CSP bonus is a high right now at 100k, with 50% bonus would get you 150k Bonvoy. Which is enough for 5 nights with the 5th night free with points redemption.

If you want Gold status later on before your stay, you can look at the Amex Brilliant when the bonus goes back to 100k or the Amex Platinum or Business Platinum.

AA calendar is already open to May, hope you were able to find availability for the QSuites?

Last edited:
I'd like to bring a P2 on board specifically with the elevated CSP offer and the AMEX Plat offer. 0/24.

Can P2 apply for both of these within the same time frame (i.e. same day, couple of days/week), or is the 30 day wait period in effect. Should one go before the other?

I'd like to bring a P2 on board specifically with the elevated CSP offer and the AMEX Plat offer. 0/24.

Can P2 apply for both of these within the same time frame (i.e. same day, couple of days/week), or is the 30 day wait period in effect. Should one go before the other?

If you can meet the MSR you can do both on the same day. as to which you would do first, which currency do you prefer? The CSP may not last too long. The Amex 150k - hard to say. My preference would be the CSP but it mostly depends on what use you have and how soon.

The screen on my xps 13 broke again. It may be under warranty but I went ahead and ordered a new one. It was on sale for $700, used two $100 off Dell credits, 10% offer, 2% swagbucks. I really didn't anticipate buying three new Dells this year (a backup that ds uses, a replacement, and dd's college laptop), but at least I've gotten good deals on them. $1,000 left on Amex Biz Platinum 2 MSR--need my points before 9/1 to cash out at a higher rate.

I saw the in branch offer on the CSP 100k looks to be expiring this month. Any rumors on the offer all together? My mom is going to go in branch tomorrow and apply. Then she's going to refer my sister to apply. I'm still working on my CIU MSR so I'm not ready to try for the MDD yet. I also REALLY wanted to get the IHG bonus again before I went over 5/24. UGH. I use all my IHG points to take the kids to the beach in NC every year. I guess that said, next summer will likely be Hawaii, so I guess the URs would make more sense if the offer is still high. Hmmmm.
there is a pretty big possibility that they have no clue how to pull the offer up. YMMV.

What choices are there to downgrade CSP?
DH downgraded his today and was told CFU is only choice?

CS, CFU, CFF

you can hit both on the same day. just need to make sure your AOAA is fine though, u usually want to keep that high.
chase tends to freak out if your < a year.

I think the Chase Sapphire Preferred would work for you if you quality (no Sapphire bonus in the last 48 months). It's usually not a good value to transfer Chase UR to Bonvoy, but there's a 50% transfer bonus right now and you have a specific high value use for it. The CSP bonus is a high right now at 100k, with 50% bonus would get you 150k Bonvoy. Which is enough for 5 nights with the 5th night free with points redemption.

If you want Gold status later on before your stay, you can look at the Amex Brilliant when the bonus goes back to 100k or the Amex Platinum or Business Platinum.

AA calendar is already open to May, hope you were able to find availability for the QSuites?

Thanks great suggestion! Yes tons of availability on Qatar for May at 140,000 AAdvantage points round trip for business class!

there is a pretty big possibility that they have no clue how to pull the offer up. YMMV.

CS, CFU, CFF

Can you PC to the regular CS? I'm trying to figure out which card to PC my CSR to. I have the OG CF that I'd like to keep since it's a Visa w/ the 5xs. I buy almost exclusive Costco gas, so I need a Visa, LOL.

Also are the Freedoms like the Ink cards? You can still get the bonuses even if you've had the card?

The CSP may not last too long. The Amex 150k - hard to say. My preference would be the CSP but it mostly depends on what use you have and how soon.

Thanks! I'm working toward Hawaii next fall. If I recall correctly, we're in the same household so I can add his CSP earnings to my CSR, correct? He travels a great deal for work so will get good use out of the AMEX, I think. Plus, I think the only thing that brings him into the game is the card design itself 🤣 He thinks it looks cool! I cannot combine our MR though, correct? But he could book our travel to use his rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter