I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I canceled a Marriott reservation and they've failed to return my FNC. Getting ready to call but decided maybe I'll wait until it's not a holiday.

This is my first experience not getting a FNC back. I canceled inside the canx period.

What is strange is my account has been wiped clean of this reservation - my activity shows nothing.

But I have both emails, showing which certificate I used. I keep separate detail of this since I have a lot of FNC's, and especially with the extensions.

My guess is that it went to the hotel and they didn't refund it.

So the Amex Platinum yea or nay? I got the 100k email with the 550 annual in May. I called to see
if they would honor it since the AF is increasing. They would.

I would never consider this card before with that fee because i have CSR. But on a Hawaii trip
recently our friends took up to Centurion lounge which was nice (and uncrowded at the time).
After feb /23 no way im paying for family members though.

My audible renewal is in August that i want to keep and could use credit for.

I need another global entry credit for my daughter this year.(if they cover it)

DW trip coming up in December and i want to see if i could upgrade seats with the incidentals.

Have universal/WDW trip this year and next and would love to use hotel credits there.
Honestly with 4 trips planned the next 18 months I feel i can get use out of the credits and
would like the sub.

HOWEVER my husband said travel is still so up in the air with variants around that i should pass and
the renewal at 695 is absurd. I mean does anyone cancel after 2nd renewal fee hits?

What say ye my fellow travelers?

Last edited:
So the Amex Platinum yea or nay? I got the 100k email with the 550 annual in May. I called to see

I would never consider this card before with that fee because i have CSR. But on a Hawaii trip
recently our friends took up to Centurion lounge which was nice (and uncrowded at the time).

DW trip coming up in December and i want to see if i could upgrade seats with the incidentals.

Have universal/WDW trip this year and next and would love to use hotel credits there.
Honestly with 4 trips planned the next 18 months I feel i can get use out of the credits and
would like the sub.

HOWEVER my husband said travel is still so up in the air with variants around that i should pass and
the renewal at 695 is absurd. I mean does anyone cancel after 2nd renewal fee hits?

no brainer for the first year. after the first year, a huge reconsideration.

Quick question...if I used Delta miles thru Delta to book a trip to London on Virgin Atlantic and I use am Amex platinum card (with Delta as my preferred airline) to pay for extra luggage, will I get a credit or will it go through as a Virgin charge?

i believe it would be through Virgin. Anytime i book a ticket on another carrier, i dont get the option to pay for my bags until checkin time, which is when u check in with Virgin Atlantic and not delta.

I need another global entry credit for my daughter this year.(if they cover it)

would like the sub.

That's great that they're honoring the old AF! Sounds like you can really make it work for you. I wouldn't keep it the second year unless I got a high retention offer that made it make sense.

When deciding whether to go for a card, I'll calculate out the minimum value I expect to get from the SUB, add in a conservative value for the credits, then subtract out the AF. With MR, I used to use 1.25 cent per point as that's the Schwab cash out value. But that's probably going down to 1.1 in September, so I guess I have to use that now. :(

The airline and hotel credits are calendar year, so you can use them twice on one AF. Even if you valued it at only 50% face value, that's $400. Global Entry and audible, say $150, and you've got the AF covered.

This is great so you just pay for the difference on the card? Thanks for posting

I actually paid the balance with Amex points at a penny a point. Had a stash of AMEX points and have never used them so I think 26k points and the credit will be our night at portofino. I will do HHN by myself that night.

It also comes with room service credit for 2 people and breakfast for 2. Sounds like a fun weekend!

That's great that they're honoring the old AF! Sounds like you can really make it work for you. I wouldn't keep it the second year unless I got a high retention offer that made it make sense.

When deciding whether to go for a card, I'll calculate out the minimum value I expect to get from the SUB, add in a conservative value for the credits, then subtract out the AF. With MR, I used to use 1.25 cent per point as that's the Schwab cash out value. But that's probably going down to 1.1 in September, so I guess I have to use that now. :(

The airline and hotel credits are calendar year, so you can use them twice on one AF. Even if you valued it at only 50% face value, that's $400. Global Entry and audible, say $150, and you've got the AF covered.

My biggest peeve and the reason I never was interested in cards is if I HAVE to figure out a way to use
credits....I would not normally use. I hate that. But i am about to get another global entry for DD. Renew
audible. Upgrade seats etc. Even then 550 AF is SCARY let alone 695. And do you keep CSR. These
are travel cards to me and in today's climate future travel is very much up in the air.

I have had my CSP for 5+ years, so was thinking of downgrading and opening a new one for the 100,000 point offer. I just used most of my existing UR points from the original card to book a hotel room in August. Does changing the original card impact that reservation? Thank you!

I am so bad at reading fine print.
For the new resort credit with the Amex Platinum- do I have to do two consecutive nights at the fine hotels and resorts? I see it says 2 night minimum for the hotel collection but dont think I see it for fine hotels?
Thinking of adding a night at Portofino Bay and there is no more rooms with AP rate so this might be worth if I got the credit.

For the new resort credit with the Amex Platinum- do I have to do two consecutive nights at the fine hotels and resorts? I see it says 2 night minimum for the hotel collection but dont think I see it for fine hotels?
Thinking of adding a night at Portofino Bay and there is no more rooms with AP rate so this might be worth if I got the credit.
I did one night and got the credit.

Is that AP rate pretty good when you can get it? Thinking about getting one for my kids since they
will visit 3 times in the next year.

Is that AP rate pretty good when you can get it? Thinking about getting one for my kids since they
will visit 3 times in the next year.
The AP rate is good. I have Portofino Bay one night in Oct for $267+ tax. AP rates are usually released only a few months ahead of time, like 3-4 months and are limited. If I look now for my date (which I booked May 26) it's over $400 because the lower cost room categories sell out.

you can book an AP rate before you buy the AP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter