I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious again, since I hit the easy $1k spend on the Hilton Honors card, where can I check to see if Amex has reported that card? I want to go for the IHG biz card but I could be sitting at 5/24 right now. Otherwise I guess I hold on and wait until end of April when I drop to 4/24 again

fyi re Hilton

earned another FNC so I wanted to make one of my nights in paris free

currently booked 2 rooms for 4 nights each
room 1 was using 3 fnc and 1 night points
other room was 4 nights points

standard was 73k per night.

when i called last night, they advised the entire booking would have to be cancelled and rebooked. fine I thought. BUT the 2nd room is same booking and rebooking new standard rate at 80k per nights means 320k vs 292k. so my credit of 73k on room 1 nets to only 45k, not a great value.

they couldnt/wouldn't separate the 2 rooms.

and I really have no other plans for the fnc. surprised standard room reward went up
ugh

I see regular mention of MR points for international travel so I'm intrigued as I have a daughter stationed in Germany and a new grandbaby that I need to see regularly! I don't have any MR points to speak of (around 3,000) at the moment. Which airlines use MR's and are they a better value than UR's? Currently using United points to fly across the pond. 30,000 points for a one way to Frankfurt in economy. Would prefer biz class but they are hard to find on United without spending tons of points. (150,000 to 250,000 on many flights).
Look to see who flies to where you want to go and either they will be an MR partner or someone else that can book into them is. The only one that usually makes a lot of sense I haven't seen mentioned is Iberia, they can be great to Spain or the UK on BA.
Just curious again, since I hit the easy $1k spend on the Hilton Honors card, where can I check to see if Amex has reported that card? I want to go for the IHG biz card but I could be sitting at 5/24 right now. Otherwise I guess I hold on and wait until end of April when I drop to 4/24 again
Credit Karma would probably be the easiest. Or get a free account on Experian, both of these only update once a week though. If you already have an Experian, they usually have a 30 day trial for their premium that updates daily.

This isn't related to CCs, but in case this happened to anyone else that uses Fuel Points (Harris Teeter and Kroger I think).

For the last 2 days, there was a snafu between BP and Fuel points. Regardless of your balance in points, it was only applying .10/ gallon discount. This worked out as really poor timing for me as I ran my tank down to fumes in order to get $1 off/gallon on a full tank before I head out on a road trip tomorrow. We tried later with our 2nd car, same thing. We stopped in H-T for some trip supplies and asked the service desk and they said to call the Corp Cust Service on the bottom of our receipt.

Anyway -- if you had the same problem, I suggest screenshotting your points in the app just in case. Supposedly they will roll the points over and we can use them in April. We'll see.
Thanks for this- saved me a trip to the pump, and I didn't want to go anyways since it's cold and SNOWY! I chatted as well and they said to contact them tomorrow to have the fuel points rolled over to April. I also try to run both cars down to almost fumes, but we usually only get about 30 gallons between both cars. We go at the same time and fuel both cars at the same time. I think our card or the gas station might have a $100 authorization limit, as we can only seem to get to pump exactly $100, which means at a $1 savings, we max out at 30 gallons anyways. This has only been an issue now that gas prices are so high.

I see regular mention of MR points for international travel so I'm intrigued as I have a daughter stationed in Germany and a new grandbaby that I need to see regularly! I don't have any MR points to speak of (around 3,000) at the moment. Which airlines use MR's and are they a better value than UR's? Currently using United points to fly across the pond. 30,000 points for a one way to Frankfurt in economy. Would prefer biz class but they are hard to find on United without spending tons of points. (150,000 to 250,000 on many flights).
I think you got great suggestions, but I would highlight Flying Blue (Air France and KLM). They have monthly promotions you can watch out for. If you can pair it with a Amex transfer bonus, you're in really good shape. I scored a 35k MR biz class deal on Air France just recently.

Virgin is an MR partner as well, and they offer Air France and KLM flights as well. I think in non-peak season, their economy flights are as low as like 12k one way. And you'll sometimes find transfer bonuses as well.

Applied for the new IHG business, a week shy of 3 months since my last Chase card. No instant approval. I may have annoyed them this time :-)
I applied two days ago as well with only 60 days between biz apps. Card showed up in my account today with 5k CL. I bet you'll be fine. Good luck.

ETA: Correction, it looks like it was approved the same day I applied, but I never opened the email. Same as you, it did go pending, not instant approval, which seems more of the norm for me lately with Chase biz apps. Thanks @wanderlust7 for suggesting I app for the Venture X first and then the Chase biz app before the Venture X showed up on my credit report. That strategy worked out well.

fyi re Hilton

earned another FNC so I wanted to make one of my nights in paris free

currently booked 2 rooms for 4 nights each
room 1 was using 3 fnc and 1 night points
other room was 4 nights points

standard was 73k per night.

when i called last night, they advised the entire booking would have to be cancelled and rebooked. fine I thought. BUT the 2nd room is same booking and rebooking new standard rate at 80k per nights means 320k vs 292k. so my credit of 73k on room 1 nets to only 45k, not a great value.

they couldnt/wouldn't separate the 2 rooms.

and I really have no other plans for the fnc. surprised standard room reward went up
ugh
I do really like Hilton but their FNC system is archaic, with how you have to call, etc. I would call again and ask them to separate out the points night on room 1 (if it is on the front or back end). They have done this for me before without rebooking the whole thing, so it's possible, but I don't think they like to do it (nor are required to do it). Always be aware though that a standard room has to be available on points to use your FNC. And sometimes when you cancel your room, it DOES NOT pop back into inventory, if they are overbooked, etc. So there is a risk. If you are Diamond, I'd call the Diamond Desk at 1-877-444-9847

We are leaving for Aulani in a few weeks and I am trying to decide which cards to bring with me.
Does anyone know what the merchandise store codes as? Shopping or a resort charge-travel?

We are leaving for Aulani in a few weeks and I am trying to decide which cards to bring with me.
Does anyone know what the merchandise store codes as? Shopping or a resort charge-travel?
If you charge merchandise straight to your room it will code as travel. When we last went, I used a combination of Disney GCs and fee free Visa GCs purchased for 5x. I always try to get 5x on spend when possible.

I am almost done with CP for both P1 and P2 for this year and next year however I feel like we are not taking any SW flights anywhere this year...hopefully next year.

Had a great stay at Hyatt Zilara Cancun a couple of weeks ago that was 100k Chase UR points and I think next year we are going to bring the kids to the Hyatt Ziva Cancun....just trying to figure out if we should do 200k points for two rooms or do 1 room and allegedly you can pay cash $100 per kid a night for 4 nights. This seems like the right decision but I also feel like it is not actually published anywhere and not really sure where/who to call to get that done.

Just closed a chase business account so I would only have three open when I apply for a new card. Balance is being paid today. Should I wait until tomorrow to apply for a new card?

Since you mentioned United... you need a United card
https://www.united.com/en-us/cardmember-award-exclusive
For 3 days only (March 31- April 2, 2022), take advantage of our exclusive Cardmember discount with flights starting in May at 45,000 miles roundtrip (plus taxes and fees starting at $49.37) to 10 of our exciting European destinations.* Beat the summer crowds and book your European getaway today for travel between May 1- June 2, 2022.

Be sure to sign in using your MileagePlus® account number to take advantage of this sale.
My travel dates work and I have both the United biz card and quest card, but I’m flying into Frankfurt and back from Munich, so it won’t trigger the RT savings. That’s a great deal though!

the Disney card gives you 10% off everything at 50$ or more, so in lieu of a rebate, I did that. now they are giving a 6% bonus too can we say even more free money!
the resort charges are 3x coded as travel (at least on visa) i used CSR

If you charge merchandise straight to your room it will code as travel. When we last went, I used a combination of Disney GCs and fee free Visa GCs purchased for 5x. I always try to get 5x on spend when possible.
i thought of this but the 10% off seemed better IMO. They wouldn't give it to me off the rum flight or the pineapple wine, but everything else was no issue.

Last edited:
the Disney card gives you 10% off everything at 50$ or more, so in lieu of a rebate, I did that. now they are giving a 6% bonus too can we say even more free money!
the resort charges are 3x coded as travel (at least on visa) i used CSR

I was kind of wondering if I was to use the Disney visa in the store if the 6% bonus would work. I think I would have to use the Disney Visa at the time of purchase vs charging it to the room to get the 10% off but I’m guessing unless I charge it to the room I won’t get it to code as travel. Trying to see if I could get both but I don’t think so?

I do have like $3000 of gift cards saved for Aulani that I have gotten for at least 10% off saved over the last 18 months or so but with a family of 5 I feel like that might not be enough. When I see the Aulani gift shop videos on YouTube I feel like we will buy one of everything.

I need some extra brain power, I'm sort of thinking this through while typing.

I have a softball tourney in the middle of summer in vacation destination (yay?) and I will need to book a hotel for at least 7, probably 8 nights. I'm leaning toward 8 in case things run into Sunday, but also to give us a night's sleep before beginning the 12hr drive home. It does not appear to be stay to play so I could book with points/portal, but for once, the tournament is offering good pricing on hotels. It's $1K more via UR portal vs through tourney.

I'm eyeing a Towneplace Suites right now, waiting to hear if we need to all book together, etc. I do not have enough Marriott points to cover this. I have UR to cover it at the UR portal price, but I'd come out better redeeming UR at 1x. Normally I would shift spend and just redeem UR for dining in the amount of the hotel charge, but I don't think I have or will have enough dining charges for that. Any other ideas for offsetting this $1500-1800 hotel charge?

I guess I'm looking for a good cash back card so I could put this charge on CSR, redeem some dining to cover part and cashback from somewhere else to cover the rest.

P1 and P2 are both under 5/24, P2 is actually 0/24
P2's last card was CIP in Dec.
P1 has been focusing on Biz, last personal was an Amex in Feb. Was just approved for CIU this week.
I'll list them out if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter