I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m at the VW dealer getting a trim piece installed. They charge 3% to use a credit card for parts and service. 🧐. Bummed I don’t have enough Visa gift cards in my purse. I wonder how many more places will start to pass on their fees like this.
Just in the last week I've noticed three places (one was a vehicle bond person and the other two were restaurants) charging a credit card fee. The bond was 2%, the first restaurant 3%, and the second restaurant was $1.

Welllllll.... guess what showed up today. A brand new CIU 🤪

I have no idea what happened since I thought my application was dead and gone and that rep was super rude to me a couple weeks ago, but apparently it got approved and here it is! Now let's just hope the SUB is still active. Guess I"ll find out in a few months. Ooo I should check to see if DH got his referral points! So weird!

I've been dragging my feet trying to decide on a Chase Ink card. We're knocking out a MSR for a SUB for an IHG card with our property taxes, but we've also got the balance on a WDW trip due on Oct 10. That will be 2/3rds of the CIU MSR, making it pretty easy to meet the SUB. We're actually trying to reduce expenses as I'm retiring at the end of the year, but getting 2/3 of the way with those transaction + xmas stuff should be fine. We're trying to hoard UR points to use in our early retirement travel for 2023/2024 so this 75k would be a nice bump. I'm not sure we'll do another SUB for the next many months as we ease into, well, no income and watching expenses closely for awhile.

So question: If I apply today/tomorrow, presuming I'm approved...any problem getting the card by 10/9 to pay our WDW balances?

I've been dragging my feet trying to decide on a Chase Ink card. We're knocking out a MSR for a SUB for an IHG card with our property taxes, but we've also got the balance on a WDW trip due on Oct 10. That will be 2/3rds of the CIU MSR, making it pretty easy to meet the SUB. We're actually trying to reduce expenses as I'm retiring at the end of the year, but getting 2/3 of the way with those transaction + xmas stuff should be fine. We're trying to hoard UR points to use in our early retirement travel for 2023/2024 so this 75k would be a nice bump. I'm not sure we'll do another SUB for the next many months as we ease into, well, no income and watching expenses closely for awhile.

So question: If I apply today/tomorrow, presuming I'm approved...any problem getting the card by 10/9 to pay our WDW balances?
If you ask them to expedite the card should be about 3 days after approval, or 10 days without expedited.

Welllllll.... guess what showed up today. A brand new CIU 🤪

I have no idea what happened since I thought my application was dead and gone and that rep was super rude to me a couple weeks ago, but apparently it got approved and here it is! Now let's just hope the SUB is still active. Guess I"ll find out in a few months. Ooo I should check to see if DH got his referral points! So weird!
You should be able to look at your account in the app and see the bonus ticker. If it's not there, you can always SM and ask if the bonus is attached and when you have to complete spend.

AA cancelled my non stop mco to phx for March and put me on the 1st flight. This is not ideal but I have plans that night so it's what it needs to be.

My rental was set for my original flt so i had a 130pm pu and a 1pm drop for 3 days at 209. If I price it with a 10am pu and the 1pm drop it goes up to 386, cheapest at my orig times is 315.

I signed up for enterprise and have that number. Is there anything I could status match to them that would allow me to keep my rate and ok the car early or am I stuck hanging out until 1. Which for the price difference I will. Only other option for nonstop is frontier and I'm not doing that or a connection somewhere when it's unnecessary.

ETA nevermind enterprise doesn't look like they are the one's that give extra time with status.

Last edited:
AA cancelled my non stop mco to phx for March and put me on the 1st flight. This is not ideal but I have plans that night so it's what it needs to be.

My rental was set for my original flt so i had a 130pm pu and a 1pm drop for 3 days at 209. If I price it with a 10am pu and the 1pm drop it goes up to 386, cheapest at my orig times is 315.

I signed up for enterprise and have that number. Is there anything I could status match to them that would allow me to keep my rate and ok the car early or am I stuck hanging out until 1. Which for the price difference I will. Only other option for nonstop is frontier and I'm not doing that or a connection somewhere when it's unnecessary.

ETA nevermind enterprise doesn't look like they are the one's that give extra time with status.
You should be able to pick up early, and then either drop early or pay for a couple hours at the rate included in your current agreement. The biggest problem you have is that by going 3 days plus three hours it's kicking over to a weekly rate. If you shorten that by an hour or so it should keep your current rate.

If you ask them to expedite the card should be about 3 days after approval, or 10 days without expedited.

Thanks -- pulled the trigger and got instant approval, but credit it limit is 3k. Which gets tricky on the WDW payments since it'll be a little over that. If I pay for 1700 of remaining balance and then pay that off as soon as it hits, I presume I'll be able to then charge the next 1700 as soon as it's posted. Sorry for being a dummy, first time using a CC with such a low credit limit.

Thanks -- pulled the trigger and got instant approval, but credit it limit is 3k. Which gets tricky on the WDW payments since it'll be a little over that. If I pay for 1700 of remaining balance and then pay that off as soon as it hits, I presume I'll be able to then charge the next 1700 as soon as it's posted. Sorry for being a dummy, first time using a CC with such a low credit limit.
Yes you can do that. I've done it on my most recent CIC because I had multiple bills that needed payment and a low limit. Paid off, wait a day, charge again. I'd do the first payment maybe a week ahead to give yourself time for things to post although they do increase your credit availabile as soon as you make the payment and before it actually posts.

DH was approved on Saturday, I SM'd immediately asking them to expedite, just got a message from UPS that it will arrive today. Which is great because my 12 year old car had issues yesterday and I am looking at a $500+ bill for that this afternoon!

Thinking ahead... after our mortgage process is finished (by Nov 1), and we switch cell phone companies shortly thereafter (which is also a hard pull)... what are the chances of being approved for a CSP? DH's 4 years are up in January, so looking to apply in Feb 2023. We both have low 800s scores when the lender pulled our credit, and DH is only 2/24. But will the inquiries/new credit hurt our score too much to be able to get a new card from Chase so soon after?

Can you transfer points between Venture and Venture X?
If so can you transfer them between family members like you can with Chase?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread and really want to hop on this for future travel. I'm tempted to apply for the Citi Premier as it's now at 80,000 points SUB, but not sure if that's the best play. P2 (DH) also rec'd an offer in mail for Delta Skymiles Platinum Amex with 85,000 miles SUB - tempted by this for annual main cabin companion cert + lounge access for a fee.

Here are my details from the stickies on page 1:

No new credit card applications in last 24 months for me or P2

Current cards (currently P2 is just authorized add'l on both of these):
06/09 - AMEX Delta Gold Skymiles (use for Delta flights and used to be able to get lounge access, but no more)
11/01 - US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Signature Visa (currently we put anything and everything we can on this card and pay in full each month)
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly? average $5,000/mo
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest? Currently pay in full every month
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? Minneapolis St. Paul (MSP)
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? Primarily Delta Skymiles
  • Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport? Yes, but no nonstops so I rarely fly it
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? Not yet, but would likely be Marriott as I seem to gravitate towards those properties. Open to changing though to maximize points potential (received Hilton offer in mail for Hilton Amex Surpass card for 130,000 points SUB - good idea?)
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? Delta Skymiles: 121,057 miles (been saving these up); US Bank FlexPerks: 127,578 reward points (redeem often for flights)
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? Free/reduced travel; premium upgrades (first or business vs main cabin)
  • When do you plan to take these trips? a couple years down road for bigger trips: Alaska 2024; potential African Safari 2026 (might push out); Paris 2027
  • Who does your travel party consist of? Spouse; Paris would include sister and 2 nieces
Appreciate any guidance!

Thinking ahead... after our mortgage process is finished (by Nov 1), and we switch cell phone companies shortly thereafter (which is also a hard pull)... what are the chances of being approved for a CSP? DH's 4 years are up in January, so looking to apply in Feb 2023. We both have low 800s scores when the lender pulled our credit, and DH is only 2/24. But will the inquiries/new credit hurt our score too much to be able to get a new card from Chase so soon after?
You shouldn’t have any trouble getting a new card in Feb. getting a new mortgage doesn’t hurt as much as people think.

Hi all, I've posted several times in old threads but its been awhile. I've got a really good handle on SW cards and Sapphire bonuses that we combine to travel all over the US. But we've recently got the itch to go overseas. It would be 3 families from this area, eyeing summer of 2025 in order to have enough time to get points together. 6 adults, 10 kids ages 7-14. I've been designated the "planner" for cheap flights. I'm curious which credit cards I need to be eyeing. I only have Chase branded cards as of now...so Amex, Citi, etc would all be available to me. We live Missouri so STL and Memphis would be considered our 'Home' airports if that makes a difference.

I know there are a few overseas experts on here and I would love any advice you all could give. One of those traveling with us has been in Europe twice, so has an idea of layout, flow, train travel, etc. but it was several years ago. We would primarily be targeting London, Paris and Rome, but we are fine with skipping/adding to as necessary. We would be looking at approximately 2 weeks of travel time and we realize we will be traveling quickly even at that rate.

Thanks so much! I have no problem digging in and researching as well so I'll take your personal tips/tricks as well as just general websites where I can dig around and find what I need if there's any that have been beneficial to you all!

P2 (DH) also rec'd an offer in mail for Delta Skymiles Platinum Amex with 85,000 miles SUB - tempted by this for annual main cabin companion cert + lounge access for a fee
This card was worthless to me and I downgraded to the blue card after the bonus miles. I can not find anything to use my companion ticket for at all. There are plenty of flights just not ones that I can use the companion pass with. You may have more luck since you are flying out of a delta hub.

You should be fine. Last year we refinanced in April and DH opened a CSP 3 months later in July. And that's the same window of time - 3 months - you're looking at too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter