I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This card was worthless to me and I downgraded to the blue card after the bonus miles. I can not find anything to use my companion ticket for at all. There are plenty of flights just not ones that I can use the companion pass with. You may have more luck since you are flying out of a delta hub.
Appreciate this info!

Hi all, I've posted several times in old threads but its been awhile. I've got a really good handle on SW cards and Sapphire bonuses that we combine to travel all over the US. But we've recently got the itch to go overseas. It would be 3 families from this area, eyeing summer of 2025 in order to have enough time to get points together. 6 adults, 10 kids ages 7-14. I've been designated the "planner" for cheap flights. I'm curious which credit cards I need to be eyeing. I only have Chase branded cards as of now...so Amex, Citi, etc would all be available to me. We live Missouri so STL and Memphis would be considered our 'Home' airports if that makes a difference.

I know there are a few overseas experts on here and I would love any advice you all could give. One of those traveling with us has been in Europe twice, so has an idea of layout, flow, train travel, etc. but it was several years ago. We would primarily be targeting London, Paris and Rome, but we are fine with skipping/adding to as necessary. We would be looking at approximately 2 weeks of travel time and we realize we will be traveling quickly even at that rate.

Thanks so much! I have no problem digging in and researching as well so I'll take your personal tips/tricks as well as just general websites where I can dig around and find what I need if there's any that have been beneficial to you all!

I am also the designated planner for our large groups that usually range anywhere from 6-16. Great work on the early planning and giving everyone enough time to accumulate points etc. Before a "which card" advice, I would recommend you research a few sites first to get an idea of what airlines you'll be targeting, as well as what class (economy or business). FYI, it will be nearly impossible to get everyone on the same flights in business class at good fares, if at all. You could do a free trial account with seat spy, which is super user friendly and will give you actual availability for nonstop flights on a few select airlines, like Air France and British Airways. Another site I like is point.me which gives flight reward availability for about 33 airline programs and will actually give you the details about what programs transfer to those airlines, which is ideally what you want to know. Because you are so far out, I'd recommend looking maybe 11 months out from now to get an idea at pricing.

I have an inkling Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) are going to be your best bet, though it might be preferable to fly out of Chicago. Economy flights are as low as 15k miles one way plus taxes to Paris from ORD, for example.

Another tip: two years from now, Flying Blue may have terrible redemption rates,, as programs are constantly changing and devaluing or adding/removing partners. So it may be the best bet to accumulate a transferable currency like URs (which you are familiar with) or American Express MRs or Capital One points. But I'd do some research first and then let us know what you find, and we can help guide you.

Are you also the designated hotel planner?

You shouldn’t have any trouble getting a new card in Feb. getting a new mortgage doesn’t hurt as much as people think.

You should be fine. Last year we refinanced in April and DH opened a CSP 3 months later in July. And that's the same window of time - 3 months - you're looking at too.
Thanks guys! @becauseimnew definitely put me in the category that thought a new mortgage would hurt more than I guess it does, lol.
And yes, 3 months is around the same timeline, so good to know @platamama that you guys had a similar timeline/situation and it worked out fine with same card!

The first of my 5/24 was 9/15/2000, so it will drop off this week. How long after the 15th should I wait before applying for my next card?
I don’t think you have to wait long maybe a day or 2 before another chase application…check your Chase CLs to make sure you are under 50% household income or $75k ish of CLs with them

I don’t think you have to wait long maybe a day or 2 before another chase application…check your Chase CLs to make sure you are under 50% household income or $75k ish of CLs with them

Some on r/churning have provided dps that it falls off the 1st of the month but I don't think there's been enough yet for the consensus to change to just wait until after the 1st of the month your card falls off.

@becauseimnew Did you DH apply for this? I'm considering it but I don't know anything about Kabbage. Are you able to pay off the loan early?
I have not applied, I think the offer ends later this year. I’m waiting until Dec when our property taxes are due. From what I’ve read you can pay it off early.

I am also the designated planner for our large groups that usually range anywhere from 6-16. Great work on the early planning and giving everyone enough time to accumulate points etc. Before a "which card" advice, I would recommend you research a few sites first to get an idea of what airlines you'll be targeting, as well as what class (economy or business). FYI, it will be nearly impossible to get everyone on the same flights in business class at good fares, if at all. You could do a free trial account with seat spy, which is super user friendly and will give you actual availability for nonstop flights on a few select airlines, like Air France and British Airways. Another site I like is point.me which gives flight reward availability for about 33 airline programs and will actually give you the details about what programs transfer to those airlines, which is ideally what you want to know. Because you are so far out, I'd recommend looking maybe 11 months out from now to get an idea at pricing.

I have an inkling Flying Blue (Air France/KLM) are going to be your best bet, though it might be preferable to fly out of Chicago. Economy flights are as low as 15k miles one way plus taxes to Paris from ORD, for example.

Another tip: two years from now, Flying Blue may have terrible redemption rates,, as programs are constantly changing and devaluing or adding/removing partners. So it may be the best bet to accumulate a transferable currency like URs (which you are familiar with) or American Express MRs or Capital One points. But I'd do some research first and then let us know what you find, and we can help guide you.

Are you also the designated hotel planner?
forgot to mention this on here I saw on flyer talk and later ben from one mile at a time recommend this site https://openhotelalert.com/ I was able to snag some availability for hotels just plugging in the Hyatt rooms I wanted on points and it told me when it was available.

A breakdown of how to use it is well written here. https://onemileatatime.com/insights/open-hotel-alert/

If I book a Hilton through a group link (that is a www. hilton. com...), will I get points and status as if I booked it through the regular site? It's about $100/night cheaper through the group.

What would DIS do?
Trying to book award stays for Japan. Our current trip is 5 nights in Tokyo but the last day in Tokyo will be a rest day before we attempt to climb Mt Fuji. We are currently booked in budget friendly hotel, but would it be worth it to switch to Park Hyatt Tokyo for the final night to relax in a more luxurious hotel, maybe use the pool and spa?
We can get late checkout at our budget hotel (noon) then try early checkin at Park Hyatt. Do you all think it would be worth it? PH is 48,000, will have Explorist status.

Last edited:
Not my favorite categories, although I guess I will be buying most online items through PayPal.
I was reading a thread on bogleheads about some utilities, insurance, and other businesses that allowed payment via PayPal bill pay. Seems like it's hit or miss in terms of supported payees, and then if there are problems with payments posting then the customer service side is nonexistent. So, it's a possible avenue but not without risk.

I remember the first time Paypal was an option and I thought no way would I maximize it. But, I found that it worked perfectly for online Christmas shopping and has been my easiest bonus category to hit!
Ditto! I like Paypal as a category. A lot of our bills (electric, trash, etc.) take online payments through Paypal, and then with that option for virtually all the online shopping we do, I typically can maximize also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter