I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would DIS do?
Trying to book award stays for Japan. Our current trip is 5 nights in Tokyo but the last day in Tokyo will be a rest day before we attempt to climb Mt Fuji. We are currently booked in budget friendly hotel, but would it be worth it to switch to Park Hyatt Tokyo for the final night to relax in a more luxurious hotel, maybe use the pool and spa?
We can get late checkout at our budget hotel (noon) then try early checkin at Park Hyatt. Do you all think it would be worth it? PH is 48,000, will have Explorist status.
Park Hyatt Tokyo is where I'm planning on going when I finally go id say go for it.. did you check cash rates? I've seen them as low as 220$ those points are worth 800$ to me at least

Park Hyatt Tokyo is where I'm planning on going when I finally go id say go for it.. did you check cash rates? I've seen them as low as 220$ those points are worth 800$ to me at least
Wow, that’s a great rate. July rates are currently $500+ for a standard room. We would need to book a suite which is $900+

Wow, that’s a great rate. July rates are currently $500+ for a standard room. We would need to book a suite which is $900+

I think I'd be more tempted to do the one night stay if the points was around 30k. Depending on kids ages, you can fit 4 in a standard room at the Andaz.

So my township failed to tell me the wait between running payments was 5 BUSINESS days! I made my last payment 5 days ago. My taxes are due today. I ran 2 VCGs and then I was going to make the last payment w/ my CIC I'm working on the spend for. I got locked out! So now I'm going to either have to pay w/ my bank acct or get hit w/ a 1% fee (luckily only $7). I think I'm going to opt for the $7, and then still put the remaining $800 on my CIC. I've got about $4k to still spend between now and Nov on that card. I have about $2k I need to spend on my Surpass to earn my FNC too! So that's $6k in spends whether legit or MS'd. So I'll take the $800 spend, LOL. I have about $800 in VGCs I haven't gotten to use yet. I'll likely just push those through serve at this point vs using them.

On the dad front, it's been a HUGE roller coaster! Last week Saturday we were told to really start thinking about making the BIG decisions. He was supposed to get a trach on Friday but got bumped. My sister was MAD! Well as it turned out, Sunday morning the DR wanted to see what happened if they too him off the ventilator (as he was pretty much breathing on his own). As soon as it came out, he was talking 5 min later! We were very hopeful! But now the last 2 days, he's been refusing to work on PT or OT or do anything to help progress himself!

The issue is, the Drs were pushing for him to go to a rehab place that would be covered in full by medicare. Without any effort they are now saying that his option now is a nursing home. Which is NOT covered! He has very little money saved up, but it will all be gone within 2 mos at a nursing home. So I'm now in a panic to try and do all I can to help save his money. I know about the 5 year look back and all the other fun rules we are facing now. UGH.

Resentment is also building when it comes to my sister. She is back in NJ able to live her life. I'm over here using up all my sick time so I can get paid. I'm also a single mom. She's a SAHM and my BIL is a dentist who makes A LOT. My nephews are both in school full time. I'm literally doing everything now! She came in last weekend, but that didn't help me! I need someone who can be there during the week days so I can be at school. I shouldn't have to chose daily between being there for my dad and paying my bills. I'm handling his bills, making sure his trailer is kept up, driving out to mow his lawn, get his mail, etc. I'm running on empty and can't keep doing this. Yesterday was my first day at school this year (we started 8/29) and my sister is back home golfing daily. I'm literally running around or handling things NONSTOP until 9pm every night.

Okay rant over.....LOL.

@LilSweetPeaPhoto
You can ask if your dad qualifies for a skilled nursing facility (SNF). Sometimes patients who can’t handle the amount of therapy required for rehab can qualify for SNF if they have other needs like IV antibiotics and such.

He'll likely get sent there I think due to the fact he has to be on heart meds. But that said, only 20 days are covered and day 21-100 will be about $15k. He really needs to start playing along or he's not going to like what his life is about to be!

If I book a Hilton through a group link (that is a www. hilton. com...), will I get points and status as if I booked it through the regular site? It's about $100/night cheaper through the group.
Usually no points/status on group rate because it's a special rate.

I'm dying to get a new CSR. My 48 months is just about up. Trying to figure out when exactly I can apply. The last CSR SUB posted on my statement that was for 09/22/18 - 10/21/18. So do I go by the closing date on that statement, meaning I can apply 10/22/22?

I'm dying to get a new CSR. My 48 months is just about up. Trying to figure out when exactly I can apply. The last CSR SUB posted on my statement that was for 09/22/18 - 10/21/18. So do I go by the closing date on that statement, meaning I can apply 10/22/22?
You should be able to apply on 10/1/22.

He'll likely get sent there I think due to the fact he has to be on heart meds. But that said, only 20 days are covered and day 21-100 will be about $15k. He really needs to start playing along or he's not going to like what his life is about to be!
So sorry you are dealing with all of this…we just went through it with my 92 year old mother-in-law in March…
she was in the hospital a few weeks, then they transferred her to a place that’s a combined nursing home and rehab facility….we are in NY and the coverage was the same…
started the Medicaid application process since she met all the requirements asset wise and had the 5 years of required documentation but the week before the meeting she passed away..
..sending prayers your way it’s a lot to do…even now many months after her death we are getting medical bills….meanwhile my BIL wants his half of the $5,000 left in her bank account and does not understand that all the bills are probably more than that.

Last edited:
I guess that card is going into the sock drawer for 3 months.
Mine's pretty much been living in the sock drawer for a while now.
T or OT or do anything to help progress himself!

The issue is, the Drs were pushing for him to go to a rehab place that would be covered in full by medicare. Without any effort they are now saying that his option now is a nursing home. Which is NOT covered! He has very little money saved up, but it will all be gone within 2 mos at a nursing ho
So my township failed to tell me the wait between running payments was 5 BUSINESS days! I made my last payment 5 days ago. My taxes are due today. I ran 2 VCGs and then I was going to make the last payment w/ my CIC I'm working on the spend for. I got locked out! So now I'm going to either have to pay w/ my bank acct or get hit w/ a 1% fee (luckily only $7). I think I'm going to opt for the $7, and then still put the remaining $800 on my CIC. I've got about $4k to still spend between now and Nov on that card. I have about $2k I need to spend on my Surpass to earn my FNC too! So that's $6k in spends whether legit or MS'd. So I'll take the $800 spend, LOL. I have about $800 in VGCs I haven't gotten to use yet. I'll likely just push those through serve at this point vs using them.

On the dad front, it's been a HUGE roller coaster! Last week Saturday we were told to really start thinking about making the BIG decisions. He was supposed to get a trach on Friday but got bumped. My sister was MAD! Well as it turned out, Sunday morning the DR wanted to see what happened if they too him off the ventilator (as he was pretty much breathing on his own). As soon as it came out, he was talking 5 min later! We were very hopeful! But now the last 2 days, he's been refusing to work on PT or OT or do anything to help progress himself!

The issue is, the Drs were pushing for him to go to a rehab place that would be covered in full by medicare. Without any effort they are now saying that his option now is a nursing home. Which is NOT covered! He has very little money saved up, but it will all be gone within 2 mos at a nursing home. So I'm now in a panic to try and do all I can to help save his money. I know about the 5 year look back and all the other fun rules we are facing now. UGH.

Resentment is also building when it comes to my sister. She is back in NJ able to live her life. I'm over here using up all my sick time so I can get paid. I'm also a single mom. She's a SAHM and my BIL is a dentist who makes A LOT. My nephews are both in school full time. I'm literally doing everything now! She came in last weekend, but that didn't help me! I need someone who can be there during the week days so I can be at school. I shouldn't have to chose daily between being there for my dad and paying my bills. I'm handling his bills, making sure his trailer is kept up, driving out to mow his lawn, get his mail, etc. I'm running on empty and can't keep doing this. Yesterday was my first day at school this year (we started 8/29) and my sister is back home golfing daily. I'm literally running around or handling things NONSTOP until 9pm every night.

Okay rant over.....LOL.
Oh, gosh. Have you told her you need help and asked her to come out for a few weeks (not sure how old her kids are)? I'm so sorry.

Okay rant over.....LOL.
I'm sorry you are dealing with that. We went through a little of the sibling unequal division of support with my dad and its very difficult. Virtual hugs for you and all your family. It's difficult for everyone no matter how they cope.

Usually no points/status on group rate because it's a special rate.
Darn but thank you! ETA: But I should still get the points through using my Surpass, I think.

What would DIS do?
Trying to book award stays for Japan. Our current trip is 5 nights in Tokyo but the last day in Tokyo will be a rest day before we attempt to climb Mt Fuji. We are currently booked in budget friendly hotel, but would it be worth it to switch to Park Hyatt Tokyo for the final night to relax in a more luxurious hotel, maybe use the pool and spa?
We can get late checkout at our budget hotel (noon) then try early checkin at Park Hyatt. Do you all think it would be worth it? PH is 48,000, will have Explorist status.

Listen, I am all for a luxury hotel over a budget friendly one. And you are on vacation, so I am all about treating yourself. I don't know anything about those particular hotels (or Japan), but it does sound nice to treat yourself in a suite.

Has anyone done the 30k MR checking acct offer? Just received a mailer about it. If I did it, I would plan to move the 5k from the Wells Fargo account over to Amex. My only concern is the amount of transparency Amex will have into revenue, especially as this side hustle is very seasonal. 30k isn't worth messing up future cc applications.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this thread and really want to hop on this for future travel. I'm tempted to apply for the Citi Premier as it's now at 80,000 points SUB, but not sure if that's the best play. P2 (DH) also rec'd an offer in mail for Delta Skymiles Platinum Amex with 85,000 miles SUB - tempted by this for annual main cabin companion cert + lounge access for a fee.

Here are my details from the stickies on page 1:

No new credit card applications in last 24 months for me or P2

Current cards (currently P2 is just authorized add'l on both of these):
06/09 - AMEX Delta Gold Skymiles (use for Delta flights and used to be able to get lounge access, but no more)
11/01 - US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Signature Visa (currently we put anything and everything we can on this card and pay in full each month)
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly? average $5,000/mo
  • Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest? Currently pay in full every month
  • What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? Minneapolis St. Paul (MSP)
  • Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? Primarily Delta Skymiles
  • Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport? Yes, but no nonstops so I rarely fly it
  • Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? Not yet, but would likely be Marriott as I seem to gravitate towards those properties. Open to changing though to maximize points potential (received Hilton offer in mail for Hilton Amex Surpass card for 130,000 points SUB - good idea?)
  • Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program? Delta Skymiles: 121,057 miles (been saving these up); US Bank FlexPerks: 127,578 reward points (redeem often for flights)
  • What at your specific goals for churning credit cards? Free/reduced travel; premium upgrades (first or business vs main cabin)
  • When do you plan to take these trips? a couple years down road for bigger trips: Alaska 2024; potential African Safari 2026 (might push out); Paris 2027
  • Who does your travel party consist of? Spouse; Paris would include sister and 2 nieces
Appreciate any guidance!

Honestly, I don't think the current offer your DH has-85K skymiles is a bad offer-not necessarily the highest (that was 90k or 100k iirc) but not terrible at all. While the Delta Plat companion ticket certificate CAN be challenging to use I've found that if you plan out far enough in advance, is a nice certificate to have for a one time trip (I just used mine and DH's to book flights for DH, DM, DD and me for Christmas). If your DH could get this card and then at some point "support" you (when the bonus for you and the skymiles for him are worth) then y'all could have 2 of the certs as well as a nice stash of Skymiles. Remember that while you can't combine skymiles (without paying way too much in fees) you can use your skymiles to book award flights for anyone, not just yourself.

I cannot speak for Citi but many/most/almost all of us have some investment in the Chase credit card world as well. If you have either the Chase Sapphire Reserve ($550 AF) or Chase Sapphire Preferred ($95 AF) then you can transfer their currency (ultimate rewards) to United, Southwest, KLM/Air France and many other airlines, as well as Marriott (not a great deal), Hyatt (definitely solid transfer), and IHG (no clue). So why would I mention a new currency? Well, KLM/AirFrance miles can get you almost anywhere in the world, including South Africa (and other places) and of course Paris. United also flies to Paris and South Africa. While Delta does as well, no telling if they will be flying to Capetown or J'burg in 2027 AND usually they charge more (or a LOT more), points wise.

When I consider flights, Delta is first on my list for domestic (as I'm sure it is for you, living at a hub) and then I'm a little more flexible with international, opting to sometimes position for a good flight, so that's why I tend to collect both skymiles AND MRs AND URs-so I can be flexible with flights and currencies. I use google flights and skyscanner to get an idea of what airlines fly where and then how much it will cost, points/miles wise by looking at that airline's website. It's also important to know to which alliance an airline belongs--for instance KLM/Air France and Virgin Atlantic are in an alliance with Delta so if you're lucky, you can book Delta flights with Flying Blue or Virgin Atlantic miles (**that takes a LOT of luck, Delta is stingy with its partners). I'm sure we have some Citi experts here as well as Captial One (aka C1) so if you have specific questions about their cards, feel free to ask.

As far as hotels, it's probably best to stick with one (or two) of the larger brands, research if they're in your area of vacationing interest, get an idea of how many points they'll cost and then slowly acquire a card or two that is co-branded and/or has flexible currency to transfer into that program.

Hope this gets you started and feel free to PM me if you need Delta specific questions :)

When my dad went from the vent to the trach, they transitioned him to an LTACH (long term acute care hospital) called Speciality Select (I'm in Central FL). Medicare covered it fully. not sure it's an option for your Dad, but maybe worth asking!

Has anyone done the 30k MR checking acct offer? Just received a mailer about it. If I did it, I would plan to move the 5k from the Wells Fargo account over to Amex. My only concern is the amount of transparency Amex will have into revenue, especially as this side hustle is very seasonal. 30k isn't worth messing up future cc applications.
DH and I are currently in the process, I’m slowly moving money over. I’m hoping each transfer also counts towards the 10 transactions. My concern is that I’m making too many small transactions and our originating bank will flag the transactions as fraud. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Darn but thank you! ETA: But I should still get the points through using my Surpass, I think.
Yes, you'll get CC points, you just most likely won't get any additional pts for your stay or anything like that. For our group stays I tend to use my CSR and then pyb to offset the charge. Ours have mostly been Marriott because that's the preference of the person that organizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter