I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading up on using Visa GC to pay estimated federal taxes. We have minimal withholding so owe a lot each quarter. I was not aware the payment processors treat them as debit cards so the fees are lower than for a credit card payment (yay). So each of the 3 processors will accept 2 payments per quarter, I will owe more after that, I can just have the IRS do a direct debit of the rest? A little leery of not having a way to pay the rest, assuming the IRS will be happy to take my money directly. :confused:

You can pay 2 payments per quarter with each of the three processors. And then when you file your taxes you can pay the rest by check/direct debit. I don't know if you can make extra quarterly payments (beyond the six) via direct debit to IRS - I've never tried that, but would be interested to hear if folks were able to.

I wonder if someone could do me a huge favor and look and tell me how many points it is to book 1 night at the Hyatt in MCO airport for 5/2/23-5/3/23. It only tells me from 15k points, but since I don’t have enough points in my Hyatt account to cover it, it won’t show me the exact amount needed. I want to transfer my UR points as @wanderlust7 suggested.

It's 15,000.

Any must do's in Nashville? Looking for dining, drinking, sightseeing things to do to fill a last minute long weekend trip next weekend. Would appreciate any suggestions - usually I plan farther in advance and do a lot of research, but this one came up out of nowhere. We have ~3 full days in town and zero plans so far beyond a hotel reservation (sadly at the HP Airport as downtown hotels are mostly sold out on points/ridiculously expensive).

I have been reading up on using Visa GC to pay estimated federal taxes. We have minimal withholding so owe a lot each quarter. I was not aware the payment processors treat them as debit cards so the fees are lower than for a credit card payment (yay). So each of the 3 processors will accept 2 payments per quarter, I will owe more after that, I can just have the IRS do a direct debit of the rest? A little leery of not having a way to pay the rest, assuming the IRS will be happy to take my money directly. :confused:

You can pay 2 payments per quarter with each of the three processors. And then when you file your taxes you can pay the rest by check/direct debit. I don't know if you can make extra quarterly payments (beyond the six) via direct debit to IRS - I've never tried that, but would be interested to hear if folks were able to.

I have done additional direct debit to the IRS besides the 6 per quarter to the 3rd party processors. I only did one direct debit but I am assuming it is unlimited since there is no cost to the IRS for this.

You can pay 2 x 3 = 6 per quarter to the 3rd party processors = 24. You can also make an additional 6 payments towards the current years 1040 (Even if you already fully paid your taxes this year, you can pay towards your current year and they count just like estimated payments where you get it refunded next year).

Someone on the post from Frequent miler also wrote that you can fill out form 4868 requesting an extension and make an additional 6 payments even if you are not truly filing late - I personally have not tried that.

Best side for info on this:

https://frequentmiler.com/pay-taxes-via-credit-card/

I have done additional direct debit to the IRS besides the 6 per quarter to the 3rd party processors. I only did one direct debit but I am assuming it is unlimited since there is no cost to the IRS for this.

You can pay 2 x 3 = 6 per quarter to the 3rd party processors = 24. You can also make an additional 6 payments towards the current years 1040 (Even if you already fully paid your taxes this year, you can pay towards your current year and they count just like estimated payments where you get it refunded next year).

Someone on the post from Frequent miler also wrote that you can fill out form 4868 requesting an extension and make an additional 6 payments even if you are not truly filing late - I personally have not tried that.

Best side for info on this:

https://frequentmiler.com/pay-taxes-via-credit-card/
Thanks. That article muddies the water a bit on gift card payment, says sometimes the processors treat them as debit and sometimes not. Since you have to deduct the fee before entering the payment amount, if the processor charges the higher credit card fee I'm not sure what happens if the payment + fee ends up over the value of the GC. I guess I could always pay a little less and if I end up with a few bucks on the GC I can use them up at Costco.

It’s 30 days from cancelling the card…no personal experience with this but there are people on Reddit who say if are applying for a different SW personal card then the one you cancelled you can apply after 4 days.
I was the DIS DP on this back in 2020/2021 when I went for the CP. As others stated, you have to wait 30 days after closing, because Chase leaves your old card available to re-open for 30 days. It is possible it has changed since my experience, but I have not seen anyone report that here.
In thinking back about this app for the CIC, it had the 24 month wording on it, and I got a CIC in January of this year. (It has this wording on all business apps as far as I can see - "The new Cardmember bonus offer is only available if I do not have this card and have not received a new Cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.") Now I'm concerned if I may not get the bonus. I don't want to be the data point for this, lol. Should I call and see if they can switch to a CIU (which I've never had)? Has there been success in this type of thing, switching cards and still getting bonus? Since the CIU has the 90K offer too...
I am in the same boat. I applied a couple of days before you. Hopefully, everyone here is right and they still are not enforcing that rule.

Last edited:
I received my last SW SUB on March 1, 2021. So it's time for the CP run again. Do I have to wait until after March 1 to apply for a new card, or do I just have to make sure I do not meet the SUB before March 1?

I've been trying not to spend money but today I broke down and jumped on an early Black Friday deal at Best Buy. My Ninja Foodi Oven gets used non-stop and it's disgusting so it's getting replaced with the newer model. I just am unwilling to clean it (sorry landfill). Used my Amex with the BB offer so if I spend another $92 or so before 12/15 I'll get $25 back.

We're celebrating Dude's 16th birthday today. I can't believe it's time to teach him to drive. Told him if he got a job he could learn at 15 but he's always been a freeloader 😂

Really I can't believe it's been almost 16 years since I got him (feb). Thankful, aside from the arthritis in his back legs that prevents him from wanting to sit much and some hearing loss, that he doesn't seem his age.

Attachments

• 20221104_071634.jpg
    20221104_071634.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 23
Anyone have the Away bigger carry on?

Likes dislikes? Better to stick with the regular size carry on?
I have the bigger carry on with the built in battery usb charger. I also have the new everywhere bag. Have traveled both in the US and internationally and no longer check any luggage. Flew United and British Airways in Europe and my daughter has flown Lufthansa with the same bag without issue. I did have one flight on southwest where it didn’t clear and I had to put the bag in sideways in the overhead bin.

We're celebrating Dude's 16th birthday today. I can't believe it's time to teach him to drive. Told him if he got a job he could learn at 15 but he's always been a freeloader 😂

Really I can't believe it's been almost 16 years since I got him (feb). Thankful, aside from the arthritis in his back legs that prevents him from wanting to sit much and some hearing loss, that he doesn't seem his age.
Snowball turns 16 this month too. Similar issues--arthritis, not the best hearing, and a lot of panting and bad breath. She sleeps a lot. But she's still feisty and funny. Happy birthday, Dude!

I've been trying not to spend money but today I broke down and jumped on an early Black Friday deal at Best Buy. My Ninja Foodi Oven gets used non-stop and it's disgusting so it's getting replaced with the newer model. I just am unwilling to clean it (sorry landfill). Used my Amex with the BB offer so if I spend another $92 or so before 12/15 I'll get $25 back.
Maybe it can be donated?

I absolutely agree about the cleaning. I've partially cleaned mine several times but I'm sitting around as a retiree so I understand a working family not putting the time into cleaning it. Not like it can be cleaned perfectly either. It would be nice if they used better materials ($$$) that cleaned up more easily.

Mine needs a wipe down right now, mostly to get the grease out of it that could maybe start a fire. One day I noticed when I turned it upwards that grease actually ran out of it onto my counter, so I became more diligent at that point.

When I say partially cleaned, I mean I did as much as I'm going to do. Some stains are just going to stay there.

If anyone knows some magic short cuts please feel free to post.

Maybe it can be donated?

I absolutely agree about the cleaning. I've partially cleaned mine several times but I'm sitting around as a retiree so I understand a working family not putting the time into cleaning it. Not like it can be cleaned perfectly either. It would be nice if they used better materials ($$$) that cleaned up more easily.

Mine needs a wipe down right now, mostly to get the grease out of it that could maybe start a fire. One day I noticed when I turned it upwards that grease actually ran out of it onto my counter, so I became more diligent at that point.

When I say partially cleaned, I mean I did as much as I'm going to do. Some stains are just going to stay there.

That's a good idea. It is such a fabulous little oven but I just can't deal with the crumbs and grease. I tried cleaning it with the pink stuff but I think it was beyond the point of no return. And the cookie sheet has been killed by the pizza cutter.

It's 15k. When it's only one night the points shown will be the points needed. When it's multiple nights, it'll show the lowest, hence the "from".

You can also see it on the Point Calendar under the hotel address on the booking page.
Thank you for the info ! I’ve actually never stayed at a Hyatt before so it’s all new to me. We’ve always been mostly a Drury Hotel family. This board has gotten me wanting to branch out and try some new hotels and see what we like.

Maybe it can be donated?

Mine caught fire a couple of weeks ago due to some grease splattering on the heating element probably from cheese. Thankfully, my husband was able to throw it in the backyard while I'm yelling at him and the fire alarm (with the announcer voice!) is going off and the only damage was soot all the way up my cabinets. I found that the parchment liners really help but if you aren't careful about turning it off when sone with a liner in there, the liner catches fire (been there, done it twice). We have the Breville which we love but its not digital and cooking under 10 minutes is hard to gauge so sometimes, we just pull the food out and when we shut the door, it starts up again until the timer is over. This is really a love hate appliance.

Mine caught fire a couple of weeks ago due to some grease splattering on the heating element probably from cheese. Thankfully, my husband was able to throw it in the backyard while I'm yelling at him and the fire alarm (with the announcer voice!) is going off and the only damage was soot all the way up my cabinets. I found that the parchment liners really help but if you aren't careful about turning it off when sone with a liner in there, the liner catches fire (been there, done it twice). We have the Breville which we love but its not digital and cooking under 10 minutes is hard to gauge so sometimes, we just pull the food out and when we shut the door, it starts up again until the timer is over. This is really a love hate appliance.
That is a little scary. DH has been telling me to throw our air fryer for awhile, he hates that thing and thinks it's a fire waiting to happen. Coincidentally, I got a recall notice from Best Buy a few months back for it. I forgot to do anything about it and now they aren't offering the refund anymore. But we are getting these new appliances in the next few days, and we've decided on a range that has air frying built in, so we can get rid of this fire hazard!

Yikes! So I am not wrong to keep an eye on that grease. DD had been mostly using it and she cleans nothing. That's my self-appointed job. But I didn't really catch on that the grease in some frozen battered foods doesn't stay in the food. It drips down into the bottom.

That is a little scary. DH has been telling me to throw our air fryer for awhile, he hates that thing and thinks it's a fire waiting to happen. Coincidentally, I got a recall notice from Best Buy a few months back for it. I forgot to do anything about it and now they aren't offering the refund anymore. But we are getting these new appliances in the next few days, and we've decided on a range that has air frying built in, so we can get rid of this fire hazard!

Are you sure the range is going to get rid of the possible fire hazard? Maybe it will burn itself out in an enclosed space?

Which air fryer did you have? I have the Ninja Foodi oven.

I've been range shopping and also considering the ones with air fryer capabilities since DD uses it so often. Reason for shopping a new range: old one is white and going strong. All other appliances are stainless. I did have a built in convection oven that I rarely used but had it removed after a couple of years to create more counter space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter