• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been 24 months since I got my SW Performance Business Visa.

I need to reapply, however, how long after I cancel the card I have should I wait before reapplying?

TIA

some of them are probably software engineers in SF and Seattle. DS has a friend at Microsoft making more than that at 28, my DD in SF was close to that at 26. She just cashed in a bunch of her stock options and went to part time.

My DD graduates this spring and her job offer definitely showed DH and I we picked the wrong major long time ago. Lol She will be starting out about where DH is now after 30 years in Engineering. And she is not moving to that high of a COL area. But that does bring up a good point that $180,000 in California and Seattle is not the same as $180,000 elsewhere.

Could someone add me to the dischurners Reddit thread? Trying to figure out how to best use CC rewards to acquire miles for a planned 2023 Europe trip. Thank you!

Okay now the saga of this week....On Weds I decided to head on down to FL to try and make something of my week off. Since I didn't know if I would make the flight or not, I didn't book anything. I had decided I was going to use some of my Hilton points and stay at the Diplomat in Hollywood Beach. Once it seemed I was going to make the flight, I looked into booking the room. THEY WERE SOLD OUT :sad::sad::sad:

On a whim I checked just for Weds night. They had rooms. So I booked the room for one night and figured I'd beg at check-in to see if they could work some magic. Since I took the first flight out, I got there at 11am. Not only did they have a room for me, I was told I was getting an upgrade. The front desk agent then went in the back to see if he could find me a room for Thurs night. He came back happy and told me they would be able to extend my stay AND keep me in the same room. He said that he needed a manager to do an override and to check back.

So I headed up to my room and was FLOORED! Corner Suite. They gave me a $5k/nt suite! Also I made sure that 2 people were on my reservation so I got the $30 credit a day. This is from my Diamond status I got from the Aspire I got 12/18 and canceled 1/2020, LOL. I mean, this view....

I went to check later and the manager said she was sorry but there were no rooms :sad::sad::sad: My backup plan was to either go back home or switch to a Marriott in Fort Lauderdale. The BF told me to stay. I kept checking the hilton app, and a room finally showed up, so I quickly booked it! I ran down to the front desk and another agent told me they'd be happy to keep me in the same room. Then he went in the back to see if they could move the person booked into my room. Sadly they couldn't. But they managed to keep me oceanfront, and put me on a higher floor. So I was able to "slum it" for a night, LOL.

The talk Friday was all about how the hotel was completely rented out for the weekend by some canadian. It turned out to be BMO (?). They not only took over the hotel, but rebranded it, LOL. They had signs up for their company everywhere. Those w/ reservations were being moved to the Double Tree across the street. LOTS of unhappy people. They had security outside not allowing people in. I was scared when I ran out for my Door Dash that they weren't going to let me back in, LOL. But I was able to stay poolside until 3:30 when I was to changed and then took off for the airport for the flight I didn't make :sad:

I have to say, this was the first OMG redemption I've gotten. 140k Hilton points, but managed to stay in 2 amazing rooms, and got the $60 in credits! Not too bad for a last minute booking! This booking also made me think I need to keep my diamond status when it expires in 2023, LOL. The only hilton card I haven't had is the free one, and it has a GREAT offer right now. I'm seriously considering applying for it. I am 4/24 right now and drop to 3/24 on 4/29. I'm thinking I'll want to jump on the new IHG business card. And I also want to do the MDD. So I guess I have to hope the current free offer holds. It's 70k (which isn't the highest) but comes w/ a FNC!

Does Amex normally announce when an offer is going to expire? Would it be better to wait until after I apply for the IHG biz card (which is rumored to launch in March)? Or should I jump on the Free Hilton card offer now, then apply for the IHG biz after I drop back under 5/24 in May? Also is Amex back to 5 cards yet? Or still only 4? I have 3 cards right now, but I want to do the Delta Plat Biz at some point.

Okay now the saga of this week....On Weds I decided to head on down to FL to try and make something of my week off. Since I didn't know if I would make the flight or not, I didn't book anything. I had decided I was going to use some of my Hilton points and stay at the Diplomat in Hollywood Beach. Once it seemed I was going to make the flight, I looked into booking the room. THEY WERE SOLD OUT :sad::sad::sad:

On a whim I checked just for Weds night. They had rooms. So I booked the room for one night and figured I'd beg at check-in to see if they could work some magic. Since I took the first flight out, I got there at 11am. Not only did they have a room for me, I was told I was getting an upgrade. The front desk agent then went in the back to see if he could find me a room for Thurs night. He came back happy and told me they would be able to extend my stay AND keep me in the same room. He said that he needed a manager to do an override and to check back.

So I headed up to my room and was FLOORED! Corner Suite. They gave me a $5k/nt suite! Also I made sure that 2 people were on my reservation so I got the $30 credit a day. This is from my Diamond status I got from the Aspire I got 12/18 and canceled 1/2020, LOL. I mean, this view....

I went to check later and the manager said she was sorry but there were no rooms :sad::sad::sad: My backup plan was to either go back home or switch to a Marriott in Fort Lauderdale. The BF told me to stay. I kept checking the hilton app, and a room finally showed up, so I quickly booked it! I ran down to the front desk and another agent told me they'd be happy to keep me in the same room. Then he went in the back to see if they could move the person booked into my room. Sadly they couldn't. But they managed to keep me oceanfront, and put me on a higher floor. So I was able to "slum it" for a night, LOL.

The talk Friday was all about how the hotel was completely rented out for the weekend by some canadian. It turned out to be BMO (?). They not only took over the hotel, but rebranded it, LOL. They had signs up for their company everywhere. Those w/ reservations were being moved to the Double Tree across the street. LOTS of unhappy people. They had security outside not allowing people in. I was scared when I ran out for my Door Dash that they weren't going to let me back in, LOL. But I was able to stay poolside until 3:30 when I was to changed and then took off for the airport for the flight I didn't make :sad:

I have to say, this was the first OMG redemption I've gotten. 140k Hilton points, but managed to stay in 2 amazing rooms, and got the $60 in credits! Not too bad for a last minute booking! This booking also made me think I need to keep my diamond status when it expires in 2023, LOL. The only hilton card I haven't had is the free one, and it has a GREAT offer right now. I'm seriously considering applying for it. I am 4/24 right now and drop to 3/24 on 4/29. I'm thinking I'll want to jump on the new IHG business card. And I also want to do the MDD. So I guess I have to hope the current free offer holds. It's 70k (which isn't the highest) but comes w/ a FNC!

Does Amex normally announce when an offer is going to expire? Would it be better to wait until after I apply for the IHG biz card (which is rumored to launch in March)? Or should I jump on the Free Hilton card offer now, then apply for the IHG biz after I drop back under 5/24 in May? Also is Amex back to 5 cards yet? Or still only 4? I have 3 cards right now, but I want to do the Delta Plat Biz at some point.

Nice upgrade!

It's back to 5 cc now. The Hilton offer has a 3/31 end date, but sometimes they pull it early.

Nice upgrade!

It's back to 5 cc now. The Hilton offer has a 3/31 end date, but sometimes they pull it early.

Good to know. The IHG card doesn't launch until 3/24. So it might just make sense to grab the Hilton now, while I have no MSR. Then nab the IHG business card when I dip back below 5/24. I hate decisions like this, LOL.

Good to know. The IHG card doesn't launch until 3/24. So it might just make sense to grab the Hilton now, while I have no MSR. Then nab the IHG business card when I dip back below 5/24. I hate decisions like this, LOL.

If the Hilton card hasn't reported to your credit report, Chase wouldn't know you're 5/24. It used to take Amex a long time to report (like 2+ months), but I think they're faster now.

That is a great view! We've had beautiful weather plus it's been super busy weekends in South Florida with the boat show, SoBe food and wine fest, arts festival, a big concert which probably contributed to the low inventory. How do you plan on keeping the Diamond status? Mine expires in 2023 as well (got it during Covid, no idea how as we only stayed 3 nights last year). I thought only the Aspire gave Diamond automatically. I do think I'm going to have P2 apply for a Hilton card since they make it easy to combine points and he's 0/24.

First trip to Staples for the week complete and gift cards converted to money orders.

Twenty days until dd and I head to Naples to see my parents. I suppose I should mention to my mom soon that I'd like to bring the puppy (she's heard my stories!).
Where or how do you convert your visa cards to gift cards? I used to at Walmart but they stopped allowing that years ago. thought about trying it again. You can pm me if that is better. Thank you!

Where or how do you convert your visa cards to gift cards? I used to at Walmart but they stopped allowing that years ago. thought about trying it again. You can pm me if that is better. Thank you!
I buy money orders or food lion (in Virginia).

Okay next up......The BIG TRIP! Ireland March 2023! I guess it's finally coming upon the time to start planning. I have NEVER gone to Europe and don't even know where/how to begin planning. So I will take all the tips you have! I have Delta Miles, URs, MRs, Spirit Miles (LOL.....kinda worthless these days since I have benefits) and AA miles. The DD's one request is at least business class. She wants to do Dublin on St. Patrick's Day, but also wants to visit some other areas.

I know living in MI, lots of people used to say that flying out of Toronto was cheaper. But w/ all the issues to get into Canada right now, I'm thinking it's probably not the best plan anymore. Also my mom is planning on joining us, possibly her dad (ugh), my sister might be in this mix too. I just need to get airfare for my DD and I, but likely rope my mom in too as she has URs and MRs and will open whatever I tell her to get, LOL.

That is a great view! We've had beautiful weather plus it's been super busy weekends in South Florida with the boat show, SoBe food and wine fest, arts festival, a big concert which probably contributed to the low inventory. How do you plan on keeping the Diamond status? Mine expires in 2023 as well (got it during Covid, no idea how as we only stayed 3 nights last year). I thought only the Aspire gave Diamond automatically. I do think I'm going to have P2 apply for a Hilton card since they make it easy to combine points and he's 0/24.

I got the Aspire in 12/2018. I cancelled it in 1/2020. Then Covid happened and they extended all statuses, so I kept diamond for 2020. And then 2021 and 2022. I expire in 2023 and it might just be worth having the Aspire again to keep it. We'll see how I'm traveling....

Okay next up......The BIG TRIP! Ireland March 2023! I guess it's finally coming upon the time to start planning. I have NEVER gone to Europe and don't even know where/how to begin planning. So I will take all the tips you have! I have Delta Miles, URs, MRs, Spirit Miles (LOL.....kinda worthless these days since I have benefits) and AA miles. The DD's one request is at least business class. She wants to do Dublin on St. Patrick's Day, but also wants to visit some other areas.

I know living in MI, lots of people used to say that flying out of Toronto was cheaper. But w/ all the issues to get into Canada right now, I'm thinking it's probably not the best plan anymore. Also my mom is planning on joining us, possibly her dad (ugh), my sister might be in this mix too. I just need to get airfare for my DD and I, but likely rope my mom in too as she has URs and MRs and will open whatever I tell her to get, LOL.

How many AA points do you have? I find availability with AA points is usually pretty open, especially when you have such a long lead time.

I don't know if I'd consider driving to Toronto in March since the weather could potentially wreak havoc on a drive to the airport.

I'd start with seeing what potential flights you might be interested in. Look at Google flights, you can see options and which airlines are possible. My goal for London was nonstop but that's not always possible.
Awardhacker.com can help you find which miles to use.

Tfw the IRS is weeks behind on processing tax refunds and you have to decide between cashing out some mutual funds or incurring interest charges. I've never paid a dime in interest and I don't plan to start now. I usually keep about $15,000 liquid but I did some late IRA and HSA investing to get under some of the stimulus thresholds, so I'm running very lean on cash. Annoyed.

Tfw the IRS is weeks behind on processing tax refunds and you have to decide between cashing out some mutual funds or incurring interest charges. I've never paid a dime in interest and I don't plan to start now. I usually keep about $15,000 liquid but I did some late IRA and HSA investing to get under some of the stimulus thresholds, so I'm running very lean on cash. Annoyed.

Tax refund? What's that?

It's always been my objective to owe Uncle Sam a small amount on tax day. Been successful at this for many years. One year it was 50 cents and I got to keep it.

Tax refund? What's that?

It's always been my objective to owe Uncle Sam a small amount on tax day. Been successful at this for many years. One year it was 50 cents and I got to keep it.
That's usually my goal and I've always been successful, until this year with all of the COVID stimulus/relief/whatever you want to call it. I literally stopped paying taxes altogether in October and I still ended up with a $7,000 refund.

Part of the problem is that I get my bonus payment in early-December, and it varies by tens of thousands of dollars year to year. I can usually react in time to land the plane once bonus announcements are made, but all the COVID stuff made it impossible this year.

I don’t even have my k1 yet to start my taxes. 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter