• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dipping back in with a PSA to sign up for hotel promotions even if you don't think you'll use them AND to keep miles in your favorite airline account or a flexible one that transfers to such...

I was in Huntsville with my family (many of you know that DF was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer in Sept 2020 and was fighting the good fight) in late Jan when he elected to enter Hospice. My DFIL died the same day DF was enrolled in Hospice but due to complications with coordinating with funeral home/chapel/etc the funeral was delayed for about 10 days so I could return home before flying to CA.

My flight from HSV to ATL was cancelled so I was able to push my flight off for a day and just stayed at the airport hotel (a Sheraton so 1 night=2 nights with their current promotion) and then was at home three nights before I flew to SAC for my FIL's funeral ( Courtyard so 2 nights=4 nights). Flights from HSV to home-DL skymiles, then converted some MR to more Skymiles to fly from PNS to SAC and back as well as fly DH home from SAC. We were delayed in ATL on the flight home, so I was in Florida for about 10 hours before SIL reported DF's vitals (which weren't good and let me know I needed to return to HSV asap) so I was able to call Delta, use more skymiles and hop on the next plane back. I remained in at my parents' house until DF died (in the words of my DB "you know it's bad when Shay isn't at a hotel"). After that, booked our go to AC (staying 5 nights=10 nights) for the remainder of the week of funeral/family/mourning. I was also able to use Skymiles to book DD home from BOS but 13" of snow last week in central MA prevented her return.

Anyway...looking at our calendar for Feb, I didn't have any Marriotts booked and ended up sleeping in a Marriott 8 nights (and Hyatt 2) and spending...a lot of skymiles. The very very tiny silver linings from my last 3 (exhausting) weeks are: 1) very little OOP for flights and 2) securing plat Bonvoy status for 2023 via our paid stays (I already had 30 nights from credit cards and other nights from Jan) by February and 3) realizing that while overwhelmed, service people are still very very kind.

People mention having a stash for emergencies and I have to echo that, as well. You just never know when life will throw you a curveball (or two).

Okay back to fun stuff now...

I'm sorry that you had to go through all that but I will second the idea of keeping a stash just in case. When my DF was ill, the miles came in handy with some of those last minute flights. It also eases some of the mental stress just a tiny bit.

Just dipping back in with a PSA to sign up for hotel promotions even if you don't think you'll use them AND to keep miles in your favorite airline account or a flexible one that transfers to such...

I was in Huntsville with my family (many of you know that DF was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer in Sept 2020 and was fighting the good fight) in late Jan when he elected to enter Hospice. My DFIL died the same day DF was enrolled in Hospice but due to complications with coordinating with funeral home/chapel/etc the funeral was delayed for about 10 days so I could return home before flying to CA.

My flight from HSV to ATL was cancelled so I was able to push my flight off for a day and just stayed at the airport hotel (a Sheraton so 1 night=2 nights with their current promotion) and then was at home three nights before I flew to SAC for my FIL's funeral ( Courtyard so 2 nights=4 nights). Flights from HSV to home-DL skymiles, then converted some MR to more Skymiles to fly from PNS to SAC and back as well as fly DH home from SAC. We were delayed in ATL on the flight home, so I was in Florida for about 10 hours before SIL reported DF's vitals (which weren't good and let me know I needed to return to HSV asap) so I was able to call Delta, use more skymiles and hop on the next plane back. I remained in at my parents' house until DF died (in the words of my DB "you know it's bad when Shay isn't at a hotel"). After that, booked our go to AC (staying 5 nights=10 nights) for the remainder of the week of funeral/family/mourning. I was also able to use Skymiles to book DD home from BOS but 13" of snow last week in central MA prevented her return.

Anyway...looking at our calendar for Feb, I didn't have any Marriotts booked and ended up sleeping in a Marriott 8 nights (and Hyatt 2) and spending...a lot of skymiles. The very very tiny silver linings from my last 3 (exhausting) weeks are: 1) very little OOP for flights and 2) securing plat Bonvoy status for 2023 via our paid stays (I already had 30 nights from credit cards and other nights from Jan) by February and 3) realizing that while overwhelmed, service people are still very very kind.

People mention having a stash for emergencies and I have to echo that, as well. You just never know when life will throw you a curveball (or two).

I'm so sorry for your losses. Glad you can see a tiny upside.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your losses

well my CUI business was just declined trying to buy gas. I am so frustrated. almost ht my msr, otherwise I'd cancel immediately
now onto another long call to chase. still can't buy gift cards. and I'm nowhere near my limit

Oh crap I opted out too.
Update: It wasn't a Child Tax Credit issue. There was some restructuring at my company this year, I ended up moving to a different legal entity under our parent corporation mid-year, and my FICA taxes got reset. Company 1 FICA withholding plus Company 2 FICA withholding was more than the maximum annual contribution, so my overall refund included a claim for the excess Social Security tax withheld. The fix is easy, they just need physical copies of my W2s, but it's another 6 to 8 week delay.

well my CUI business was just declined trying to buy gas. I am so frustrated. almost ht my msr, otherwise I'd cancel immediately
now onto another long call to chase. still can't buy gift cards. and I'm nowhere near my limit
I wonder what they've changed, until this week I've never had a card decline at Staples. And I've always bought $1K in GCs at Staples during the MSR period. I was also planning on stopping by Staples this evening, maybe I'll just try $400.

No baseball and I also found out the friend I was going to meet up with one day/evening will be out of town, I need things to do in Phoenix.

My plan now is the musical instrument musuem (former band geek), shopping the outlets and a b&m Saks (yay gift card) and a 10k Sunday morning.

Any suggestions on things to do? Not looking to venture too far out of the metro area. Have 3 full days ans one half.

No baseball and I also found out the friend I was going to meet up with one day/evening will be out of town, I need things to do in Phoenix.

My plan now is the musical instrument musuem (former band geek), shopping the outlets and a b&m Saks (yay gift card) and a 10k Sunday morning.

Any suggestions on things to do? Not looking to venture too far out of the metro area. Have 3 full days ans one half.
We went here, it was pretty cool. Takes quite a bit of time to go through it
Merchant Square Antique Marketplace in Chandler AZ | Find It At The Square (merchantsquareantiques.com)

I wonder what they've changed, until this week I've never had a card decline at Staples. And I've always bought $1K in GCs at Staples during the MSR period. I was also planning on stopping by Staples this evening, maybe I'll just try $400.
Ugh how frustrating….so far I’ve been lucky with my new CIC…1k each day as gone through

I decided to order the Away before the $200 offer expired. It just came today. I am eh so far. They actually seem a little cheapy feeling to me. Also the checked bag has some kind of weird plastic thing glued to the inside of the lining. I don’t know if something fell apart or what the heck it is. You can’t really unzip the lining because the zipper doesn’t have a pull. But I managed to get it down a little way to try to take a pic. I am guessing this thing clunking around should not be there?? It is hard to see from pic. E25D64AE-58ED-40E5-A3E6-173737F36BC7.jpegDA9CDE93-C8F4-4001-9EAB-29687B0A34E6.jpeg

I decided to order the Away before the $200 offer expired. It just came today. I am eh so far. They actually seem a little cheapy feeling to me. Also the checked bag has some kind of weird plastic thing glued to the inside of the lining. I don’t know if something fell apart or what the heck it is. You can’t really unzip the lining because the zipper doesn’t have a pull. But I managed to get it down a little way to try to take a pic. I am guessing this thing clunking around should not be there?? It is hard to see from pic. View attachment 651241View attachment 651242

Don't know what that is but the zipper pull could be on the inside/suitcase side of the lining. It makes no sense but one of my suitcases with a lining has the pull on the inside rather than the side you put clothes on. I've only needed to unzip it when I needed to reattach a wheel.

I am so very sorry for your losses. It’s so hard to lose our parents. Please take care of yourself .

The Vet had mentioned that there was a study going - trying to find out why so many Goldens get this type of cancer. This must be part of it.
It probably is. We are the only study in the world doing this with 3000+ goldens all located in the US. As we say... #3000strong!

I'm planning on the Desert Botanical Garden. They have a Chihuly exhibit right now. TA says good time to go is near sunset.

I’m very sorry for your losses. That’s a good reminder to always have a stash of points though

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Sending our deepest condolences to you and your family. Also, thank you for the reminder that keeping some points handy can really make things a little easier when times are tough. :hug:

I've been at Disney World for Princess so I'm about 20 pages behind, but I just wanted to circle back about my Amex retention experience. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd called to get a retention offer after my Business Platinum annual fee posted. I've had the card for a number of years (5?) and I put quite a bit of spend on it during tax time. Anyway, they offered me a big fat nada. I told them I'd call back. I used the dell and airline offer and then contacted them via chat today to tell them I wanted to cancel. Instead I got an offer for a statement credit of $695!!! Wow. Covered the annual fee so I'll be holding on to the card. Weird how there wasn't something a couple weeks ago, which was at least a week ofter annual fee posted, but there was such a great offer today, which was 3 days before my bill was due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter