I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the notebook, green crayon, and red chair from blues clues! Paprika was so cute! I had a compute game with blues clues too. Do you remember the face that would show up before the show and it would be different colors? One time he had slurpy straw glasses and sucked the color from himself lol. I hope someone knows what I’m talking about or I’ll just sound crazy.
I forgot about FACE!!!

straw.jpg

I too do not understand the obsession with a color, especially on a credit card.

I hate more that it's going to be metal. Was that necessary? Amex, did you really have to go make a card that's a near guaranteed keeper metal? Ugh. On the plus side, r/churning will have a new obsession to drown out all the "How can they call it the SPG Luxury and make it plastic??" posts.

I'm torn on colors, for most stuff I don't care, it sees the light of day for 30 seconds. I'm not picking up a CC for the color, although I guess when you've had them all there are worse criteria for picking the next one. There are exceptions for me though, I have a brief visceral reaction of disappointment to the design of my Disney card since they keep discontinuing the ones I like. I'm also still disappointed in my CSR. There's a difference between understated and... well... whatever that is. I really didn't pay attention to what it looked like when I applied for it so when I opened the package and saw it my first response was "I just paid $450 for this? Couldn't have spent a tad more on the art budget?" I'm pretty sure I did a similar 'design' about 5 minutes before I had an art project due. But again, aside from it being so dark that it literally gets lost in my wallet, I don't much care. Until I got the CSP in the mail, that's a design and color scheme I like; which made it all the worse knowing that's the "cheap" version of the CSR and it gets the cooler design. I'm pretty sure they wanted the CSR black as a play for prestige, like the Black AmEx or the Black Card (hehe, not :p), but I think they should have done the same or similar design as the CSP but with different shadings of black, if they really must, to make it more interesting. If I didn't get the CSP I'd have probably never thought about it again, though.

The one thing I do like is the issuers that made the edge colored. Discover is orange, my Freedom is Green, somebody else is Red, and I think something else is yellow-ish. I have a handful of cards I use frequently so they usually sit grouped together in a little pocket of my purse (or in my front pocket) and so seeing the edge as I look at the group I can pull the one I want rather than flashing the store as I rifle through my stack of plastic :)

We are planning a trip to Europe in 2019, and I've been thinking about the possibilities/point cost of flying 4 of us business class. I may have the points to do business both ways, but am also toying with business one way, cheapo seats the other (also considering business for the grownups and sticking the kids in economy). Having lie flat seats on the way over for the red-eye would be really nice, but I also try to make sure that accommodations improve as the trip goes along, so economy out and business back would be my usual impulse. I don't mind starting the trip at a Fairfield Inn, if we're ending the trip with a suite at the Bellagio:laughing:. Just harder to justify spending "all those points" when you look at 4 business class tickets!

For our family, I prefer starting off the trip on a good note by being well rested. I figure on the way back the trip is over so I don't care how tired they are when we get home, LOL. But I can totally see the progression argument, too. We usually all fly together, but on Japan trip the girls are doing First and the boys are doing Business. That will be the first time we've separated, but it was necessary as JAL only seems to release two seats in each class. DH knows how much work I put into all this so he's just happy to be in Business and doesn't care about missing out on First. The biggest problem with this whole miles hacking for premium flights thing is that once you take the girl off the farm, it's very hard to go back :) That goes for the kids, too. You should hear DS21 special needs groan if we are flying coach, LOL.

DD is beginning her second year at Durham in Northern England. She's studying archaeology and loving it. My husband and I are living very vicariously!

But those seem to be unicorns. I view the taxes on BA or VS like @calypso--as a less expensive way of buying/upgrading a business/first class ticket.

For me, I'm willing to pay the $$ in taxes to guarantee a premium cabin seat with BA or VS. They *tend* to have better award availability at the outset. If you want to do premium economy, I'd be looking at VS. I love their premium economy product. A lot of times we will fly Business out (the sleeping way) and PE back. The fees aren't as brutal on PE flights either.

So much fun! Jealous you have an excuse to visit England so often. I appreciate the perspective on taxes since I'm struggling with the transfer MRs to VS or BA and pay taxes or pay a bit more in miles to fly DL (but only a tiny amount in taxes) conundrum!

Having lie flat seats on the way over for the red-eye would be really nice,

They are nice and if you're a hit the ground running type of person (of this group I'm sure there is more than 1), it's really helpful to have the best possible sleep in the air. I'm like @CaliforniaGirl09 ...I know I'll sleep well back home in my own bed but after flying in a strange bed in a hotel, that's not guaranteed so I prefer business/first before my vacation, ec+/premium economy back. I do like to improve hotels if having super nice ones all along isn't possible so I understand that strategy!

I'm pretty sure I did a similar 'design' about 5 minutes before I had an art project due.

:rotfl2:

Again, I'm guilty of not keep up here. I just trying to survive life. I own my own business, DH does too. I also do payroll, HR, and accounting for my dad's business + our children are homeschooling. Little chaotic around these parts

Been busy with RMN offers, gathering up GC's for our Disney trip next month.

This may have been discussed, but I wonder if this new ticket structure is the reasoning for the halt on booking/using UR points to book Disney. I know there were some rumors that this may be temporary. So fingers crossed that is the case.

On another note, I've finished up the spend on my last card Citi Biz AA. It's been done for a while. Getting a little antsy.

I say it's DH's turn on a card now. Want to keep it a biz card, something that won't interfere with 5/24 as I was saving a spot for a double dip, but now one of the Sapphires I suppose. He has Amex SPG biz, CIC and CIP and a US Bank Business card (edge? I think it is) from ages ago.

Wasn't there a US Bank biz card with $200 for $1k spend and then the same for employee cards? I could do that for him. I can't seem to find the info googling, anyone remember what that one was called or another suggestion?
We haven't dipped into the world of MR's yet (only Amex's are SPG). Some of the amex deals, like the recent amazon one are tempting. Thoughts??

ETA: Some add'l thoughts. We aren't flying anywhere right now, so are MR's even good to me? What about the Hilton biz offer? I don't frequent Hilton's alot but we've thought about staying in one Gatlinburg, TN (we try and go there at least once/yr).

The US Bank one was a Business Edge card: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/u-s-...s-for-each-employee-card-2200-bonus-possible/

@magickingdomprincess was just approved for it.

I had similar timing with my Chase checking bonus, and the bonus posted on a Tuesday afternoon 9 or 10 days later. I know it was mid-afternoon because I was checking a lot that day. I also used Fidelity.

My PNC bonus, on the other hand, still hasn't arrived even though it's been over a month. I just set up a real payroll direct deposit so I can contact them if that doesn't trigger the bonus.
I’m using a payroll DD and still haven’t seen PNC bonus though it’s only been 12 days.

Dh and I went on Sunday to get more GCs for the RMN deals. We went to Staples, Home Depot, Walgreens, and CVS. All four of mine went pending, but only 2/4 went pending for DH. I'm not sure what happened there. How long should I wait until I should be concerned?

These seem to be hit or miss for me also. Out of the 14 I have done for both DH and I - only 5 went pending. Not sure why. Most are GC's so can't report it. The Macy's ones are legit but I am returning as I rebought online cheaper. So, figured that might get clawed back anyhow...

Going to try HD again today. At least these are all Gift Cards I would be buying for Christmas anyway so not out anything but would be nice if they all tracked as they should.

I quoted you both about US tickets :) I ended up buying my tickets on UCT because it was the best deal for what I planned on doing (upgrading to AP) and I had already used URs to cover my Disney tickets. I found a thread on the US boards about upgrading, and my understanding is that if you can get a 2 day + 1 day free type ticket from UCT, NOT a promo ticket that the regular US site is also selling, it would be treated as face value for the total days (in the case of a 2 + 1 free, 3 day ticket). The Promo tickets, like the 2+2 that I see through US/UCT/UR site, would most likely be treated as a 2 day ticket. I did see a time or two where that type of ticket was treated as the full day amount instead of just the 2, etc, but it was more abnormal. I do think that is what happened for @vanjust14 when she upgraded the 3+2 Promo tickets she got with URs to seasonal APs.

As for how much it costs, you just need to know the difference between face value of your ticket, and what AP you want to get. There are 4 levels of AP and each is available as 2 park or 3 park ones. I think most important here is, if you buy a 3 park ticket and you've been to VB before upgrading, you MUST do a 3 park AP. If you haven't yet, or just have a 2 park ticket, you can upgrade to a 2 or 3 park AP.

For us, I ended up buying 5 day 3 park tickets of UCT and upgraded them to Seasonal APs because the block out dates won't effect us anyways. We used them to enter the park, then went to guest services and upgraded. Very simple - we even got $13ish back total because our tickets face value was slightly more than the cost of a Seasonal pass.

Here was our scenario:

Needed: 3 day park tickets ($542 via UCT), 1 day Volcano Bay ($182), HHN tickets ($204) = total $928
  • Purchased 2 5 day 3 park to park tickets via UCT for $743, face value was $831
  • Upgraded to Seasonal APs which cost $818, received gift card with difference on it (~$13 back)
  • We also did HHN tickets - bought Rush of Fear passes with AP discount for $181 ($23 savings)
  • And it happens that late Aug through Sept is passholder appreciation days, so we got a 10% discount on a couple meals when seasonal pass doesn't usually get food discounts (~$15 savings)
Spent: $924, got a $13 gift card, saved $38, and now have Seasonal APs in case we go back in the next year (no current plans but since it was a better deal I figured why not?)

Hope this made sense, if it didn't please ask. I'm fighting a cold so I haven't had my coffee today :coffee:
:)
This is super helpful. Thanks. I think we’ll go with the promo tix through UR and if we pay a little to upgrade that’s ok. We’ve never been so I’m not 100% sure we will want APs but I’m thinking the kids will love it (8&12). The restrictions on the season AP work for us too and we are I interested in 3 park for both regular and AP scenarios.

The biggest problem with this whole miles hacking for premium flights thing is that once you take the girl off the farm, it's very hard to go back :) That goes for the kids, too. You should hear DS21 special needs groan if we are flying coach, LOL.

Believe me I know that - I traveled a lot when I was a kid, and we always flew first or business. I didn't even appreciate what that meant until I was an adult and paying for my own flights (or traveling domestically for work, always in coach). I do have concerns about my kids getting used to riding up front... I've already gotten them pretty spoiled about hotel rooms (we spend a week in Utah seeing all the amazing national parks, and what does my little one remember best about the trip? The bathrooms in our suite at the Bellagio!)

They are nice and if you're a hit the ground running type of person (of this group I'm sure there is more than 1), it's really helpful to have the best possible sleep in the air. I'm like @CaliforniaGirl09 ...I know I'll sleep well back home in my own bed but after flying in a strange bed in a hotel, that's not guaranteed so I prefer business/first before my vacation, ec+/premium economy back. I do like to improve hotels if having super nice ones all along isn't possible so I understand that strategy!
:rotfl2:

The rest on the way over part is really important - DH and DD generally don't sleep on planes at all, so maybe a lie flat seat will help them get some rest, at least. That is a really good argument for splurging on the way out, if I can only swing one direction. I'm looking at an April 2020 trip, so I won't be able to book for another few months yet. We will see how much I've built up in my stash by then.

These seem to be hit or miss for me also. Out of the 14 I have done for both DH and I - only 5 went pending. Not sure why. Most are GC's so can't report it. The Macy's ones are legit but I am returning as I rebought online cheaper. So, figured that might get clawed back anyhow...

Going to try HD again today. At least these are all Gift Cards I would be buying for Christmas anyway so not out anything but would be nice if they all tracked as they should.
I would be buying the Disney gcs anyway but I would be getting 5% with my red card. I contacted retail me not and he told me to wait until like October 8.

@DisneyMandC my chase bonus posted today too!! It was super easy!!

I have 2 bank bonus questions.

I just did Chase I don’t have any banks that Doc said trigger DD. It’s easy to set it up at my work but if I set an account in DHs name and deposit from my work paycheck will that be an issue?

PNC question. I have the virtual wallet. What is with a the spend, reserve and growth thing? My DD (push from Capitol One) went to growth. Do you think that will trigger my bonus?

Believe me I know that - I traveled a lot when I was a kid, and we always flew first or business. I didn't even appreciate what that meant until I was an adult and paying for my own flights (or traveling domestically for work, always in coach). I do have concerns about my kids getting used to riding up front... I've already gotten them pretty spoiled about hotel rooms (we spend a week in Utah seeing all the amazing national parks, and what does my little one remember best about the trip? The bathrooms in our suite at the Bellagio!)

The rest on the way over part is really important - DH and DD generally don't sleep on planes at all, so maybe a lie flat seat will help them get some rest, at least. That is a really good argument for splurging on the way out, if I can only swing one direction. I'm looking at an April 2020 trip, so I won't be able to book for another few months yet. We will see how much I've built up in my stash by then.

LOL on the bathroom. That is hilarious. I think my kids are old enough to appreciate it--I hope--and DD flies coach when she's going back and forth to school by herself for holidays, but I suspect I will have her asking me questions about travel hacking when she is out on her own.

I'm like your DH and DD. I could never sleep on planes until I flew lie flat for the first time a few years ago. It was a revelation. I think that's why I've become so addicted. Well that and the PJs :)

Woohoo, $300 from Chase just hit my bank account!! Thanks so much to everyone who helped walk me through this, especially @havaneselover who I feel like answered the 27 questions I had about this. So excited for this second bank bonus ever!

Now that I confirmed mine posted, I'm going to sign DH up for it as well!
Yay! Glad it came through today:)

@Albort so if Samsung pay works for chase pay, theoretically shouldn't it trigger the 5x URs at Best Buy?

it does. i tried using chase pay QR code. Failed to scan. I ended up hitting the pay using Samsung pay. i got my 1000 points.
currently testing Chase pay via Samsung pay at a gas station to see if it codes chase pay or not. its still pending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter