• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

IMPORTANT - 11/30 MAGIC CRUISE HAS BEEN CANCELLED (11/30 Cruisers Discuss Here)

all in alll, it doesn't sound like DCL has been so great about all of this...
you shouldn't have had to fight for everything....some people getting better deals than others...some people not getting anything at all....(i don't consider a 50% coupon to be much compensation)....
it was interesting to read about RCL's response to their debacle at their private island......they gave everyone a refund for the cruise, plus a coupon for a free cruise in the future...
that seems like a much much more genrous offer than DCL's....of course, they no doubt did that in an attempt to preclude suits....still, it's quite generous.....

Although Royal Caribbean isn't responsible for weather, they probably should have started to evacuate the island sooner than they did - therefore, they were really at fault and that is why they refund people's money and gave them a free cruise.

On the other hand, Disney cancelled a cruise due to the virus. They attempted to clean the ship to break the cycle - but that did not work. Therefore, they cancelled the cruise, gave refunds and a 50% off coupon for a future cruise. It would be hard for anyone to say that Disney was at fault like could be said for Royal Caribbean.

It did cause a lot of heartbreak for the people on that cruise. Some were able to switch to the Wonder. Some went to Disney. Some made the best of it. Some didn't. I'm sorry for that.

Those that did get sick on the ship were given a free 3 night cruise or 50% off a 7 night cruise. Carnival ... sorry, no refund. Too bad ... too sad. Not sure what Holland America did for there people (they are also owned by Carnival) but they have a law suit pending now. I take it that means they did little.

Really ... all Disney had to do was refund your money. They couldn't give you a cruise so you get your money back - simple as that. They did more than that. In a lot of cases, from these boards, they did a whole lot more. For some people, they didn't do enough. Maybe you really wanted too much.

And at Port Orleans they had the audacity to throw the cruiseline ship replice and the pic of the Magic on the DVC board out in the open public so everytime I walked into the gift shop, arcade or to the front desk there it was staring me in the face! A few nights I was in tears at guest services telling them to please take down the ship, etc but they never did!

Be thankful the replica didn't have a button to press which would duplicate the sound of the Magic leaving port!

I also hope you don't get a sore throat since the best medicine is to gargle with salt water and we all know the correlation between that and what the ships float on...

Geez, Imgoingtodisney, get over it already. You were able to go to WDW and get your next cruise at a savings of 50% due to an unfortunate turn of events completely out of Disney's control. They have been WONDERfully MAGICal and deserve a thank you - not condemnation and contrite, childish behavior.

Let's put "it" in perspective, shall we? Muslim extremeists have declared war on our way of life, our children now live with national security alerts, North Korea has nuclear capability, Iraq wants nuclear capability in order to threaten our existence, WorldCom-Enron-M.Stewart et al have turned The American Dream into a nightmare, our economy sucks, the Earth's environment is deteriorating more rapidly than Man's ability to reverse the process, our planet is trying to support 6+ billion inhabitents, OJ is still playing golf, medical costs are out of control... and you are distraught because a cruise got cancelled and you had to go to a resort instead??? Puhleessseeee!!!

sorry but im looking at this from a dvc'ers point of view. We had to bank last years points and combine with this year to get 3 of us on the cruise. We just had to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter because with only a 22hr notice there wasnt any other place for us to stay. Staying at a non-DVC resort is a great way to eat up points! About 1.5 times as much to stay at a non-DVC resort. It's 85more points to stay at PO than at WL.
Then since we rolled over last years points to this year we now need to use those points before the end of next year or loose them. Difference again of about 100points.
So where is our 1/2 off cruise? We need to use those points or loose them in the next year!

nedleycan,

Glad that your experience was much better than ours. In yuor situation, DCL did more than one would have expected. One of the most troubling issues is the inconsistency of responses and reactions.

kmovies,

I disagree that we may have been "wanting too much".. There is much more to this whole scenario than the cruise fare. Not all jestures are monetary. In more than one instance, all we wanted was some recognition that our situation may have required a little more thought and flexibility, not neccessarily $$$ at all. An organization that thrives and survives on exemplary customer service doesn't do "just enough".

mac_tlc

imgoingtodisney......

no flaming here, but just very curious....you mentioned the ship replica being out on display and making you very upset...believe, me, I understand you being upset at the cruise being cancelled and and having to make change in plans after wanting this for so long....but asking Guest Service to take down the ship replica for you!!! Isn't that a bit "over the top". Were you really crying at Guest Service because they would not take it down??

There is a ship replica in every resort lobby and the DVC loop on every TV in WDW....I could never imagine them taking them down so people would not get upset because their cruise plans changed. What would you have done if you caught the cruiseline commercial on TV...ask them to not not play it anymore?

I am hoping you were just kidding in the post, but I am not really sure.

I truly hope your plans work out better next time around and you get a chance to experience DCL.

MJ

Several years ago, I was booked for a Xmas cruise on Princess. We were leaving on Dec 21 for a 10 day panama canal cruise. If any of you have ever booked xmas vacations, you know that you pay top dollar for them.

We were packed and ready to go, with the family out buying last minute things. We were leaving in 12 hours. At 7 pm, we received a call from our TA saying "The boat is broke" HUH??? It was limping back to port and they cancelled the cruise, had no room on any of their other ships and that we should have "a Happy Holiday". There we sat in shock!!

Princess refunded our trip, but we had to FIGHT to get 35% off another cruise and certainly did not care what we did instead of the canceled trip.

You all were able to at least have a vacation, some with it paid for. And are getting 50% off another cruise. Enjoy it and stop feeling sorry for yourselves. Been there, done that and Disney certainly was responsive compared to Princess.

I agree that a full refund on this cruise and 50% off your next cruise (even with some blackout dates) is pretty generous. Stuff happens, and occasionally it happens to you. My parents took a "trip of a lifetime" cruise that cost them nearly $10,000 (it was a 2 week mediterranean cruise on Renaissance cruise lines). It was shortly after 9/11 last year and they were about halfway done with the cruise when Renaissance went bankrupt. They were basically dumped off in Rome. Because they had booked through AMEX travel services, their agent worked her tail off to get them home, but at the same time the several thousand dollar upgrade to business class that they had paid for for the transatlantic flight went out the window when they could only find seats in coach for them. The people who were in the stateroom next door to them (who they became very friendly with) could NOT get onto an earlier flight and were basically stranded in Rome for a week (though honestly I can think of worse places to be stranded, though I can imagine how unnerving it must have to be to be stuck in a foreign country and to have to find your own lodging for a week!) That can't even begin to compare to being stranded at WDW, which we all know like the back of our hand.

Anyway, do you think they received any compensation for their trouble? No way, they would have to get in line behind a long list of creditors. They DID have travel insurance (what any person who cares about losing their money on a trip would have) and travel insurance was GREAT. They paid them for the part of the trip they missed (pro-rated) as well as half of the cost of their upgrades to business class. They got what was fair and it never occured to them to ask for anything in addition for their "troubles". I agree that sometimes we expect too much.

Lisa

When you use DVC points outside of the DVC Resorts, as in the case of booking the Disney Cruise, you normally cannot use those points after cancelling at the DVC Resorts again. They become what is called "Reservation Points" and can only be used outside of the DVC Resorts.

For example, I cancelled a trip I had booked at the Yacht and Beach Club using points about a year and a half ago. I could not use those points for OKW, BWV, WLV etc but had to use them outside of the DVC Resorts. I chose to book the Grand Californian at Disneyland, which was a wonderful trip by the way.

My point here is that Imgoingtodisney has stated she can rebook any time next year at the DVC Resorts using her cancelled cruise points. That is certainly a concession and accomodation that the DVC has chosen to make in this unusual case of the cruise being cancelled and certainly will help to use the points in a more cost effective manner than I had to when I cancelled for my own personal reasons.

Carol,

That's a great point. We were scheduled to cruise on 9/30/01 on points. After 9/11 DW didn't feel she could cruise so we cancelled. We LOST 168 points, I think. 50% of the amount of the cruise. We were given some concessions by DVC but not near as good as IGTD.

I undestand that the situation are not the same but the do have some similarities.

Did we complain? No, we made the best of it and it turned out to be a great WDW trip.

I have been reading these threads for week and name calling and telling people to get over it and that's life is really not what is appropriate. Your responses are why we have Americans not helping others and staying self absorbed in your own little worlds. And Buckaroos Dad I appreciate your point but I bet you are tucked in your cozy little bed every night while my husband and all of my neighbors are thousands of miles away on foreign soil serving their country. So many of us have it in perspective nut vacations or DCL is the only thing that gives us something to look forward to without worry!

One thing I have learned in this life is DO NOT judge others until you have walked in their shoes.

Obviously some were more upset than others were and some of their anger or frustration "may" be over the top but it is our jobs to share not to bash each other for their personal reactions.

Yes things happen but have any of you who don't have unlimited financial resources stopped to think what you would have done in the 11/30 cruises spots. What if you were already there and could not get a flight back. What were they supposed to do hole up in a Motel 6 and wait for their flights home.

What angers me more than you attacking these posters is that DCL was inconsistent in their reponses. That IS NOT FAIR! Some received vouchers, dinners, park tickets, lower hotel rates etc.

Everyone should have been treated with the same courtesy and respect.

Do I think some people have blown in out of proportion YES! But then my father in law died last night. I had an aneurysm while 36 weeks pregnant last year, my husband is a deployed active duty Marine Officer, and my mother had a stroke 11 months ago.....I could go on.

But this was important to these people. Stop judging and just don't respond if you have to be so nasty!

Go ahead and flame me but I am sorry all of those cruisers had their trips ruined for something no one could control.

I know how much I looked forward to my 10/27/02 cruise. It kept me going when I could barely get out of bed!

buzz&woody'smom,

You are allowed your opinions as we are allowed ours. If someone opens EVERY detail of their life on a consistent basis the replies may not be all *PD*

A wise man once said "you live and die by the desicions you make" Certain posters made a chioce and still want to complain. If they were sitting in front of me I'd tell them the same thing. Move on, you made the choice.

Also, when some one posts the same thing on multiple threads(someone counted 16) they should expect a certain backlash.

great post!!!!
the inconsistency is what disturbs me too...
and i really feel sorry for that family that was already in florida by the time it was cancelled and could only get rack rates at the WDW resorts...that's totally shocking....
(and by the way, if you've read my post in the 'i feel so lucky' thread you know that i'm like you in terms of life's difficulties.....but it doesn't make me feel any less sorry for the family whose vacation was ruined)....

Wasn't the rack rate only for one night, and the other 6 discounted? If I read the post right.

I would like to keep this thread open as it has been a great place to post any new or pertinent information on the cancelled cruise due to virus on board. However, please do not direct personal comments or criticisms towards any individual or posters here on the boards. Feel free to use PM's or emails to direct such statements. Thank you all for your cooperation. :)

Carol,

Perhaps it would be appropriate to caution those of us who are going over the top to share their unfortunate situation. Some of our community members have really saturated the board to the point where it is getting out of hand about the cancelled cruise.

I think if the moderators have an appropriate discussion, others won't be tempted to fill in the void.

I would be horrified if my cruise was cancelled. I would probably share my feelings in a thread. A thread - one thread - not 15 or 16. I am sorry the cruise was cancelled. It was not in DCL's control. DCL has done more than they have to by the contract the cruisers had. The rest of us will be paying for the 50% coupons with higher prices down the road. That's fine, too.

It is obvious that a number of members have expressed their opinion in a not-so-nice way. To bring us back to center, the 11/30 cruise discussion has to be limited to one thread.

I am scared to open any thread for fear of being pulled back in - for instance hypothetcially - Favorite Palo dish - Poster 1 - Lamb - Poster 2 - My cruise was cancelled and I never got to try any.

Preferred seating time - Poster 1 - early seating - Poster 2 - I had to eat in MGM because my cruise was cancelled.

Its going on and on and on.

Please help us maintain civility by advising an obviously upset person that we feel the pain - but that it has to be contained.

All DIS Posters agree to and are held to the same posting guidelines on our DIScussion boards. The moderators do not censor indiscriminately, but do make sure the guidelines are followed and are not broken. Please email the Moderators and Webmasters if you have any specific concerns in this regard.

Now back to our discussion of the Cancelled 11/30 cruise..

I agree, I have this thread bookmarked, and it has gotten a little out of hand. I have no children, but can only imagine what it would be like to tell a 5 year old that the cruise she had been waiting for for almost a year was cancelled. End of the world, no, but the look in her eyes would make you think it might be.

I feel that the resposnses being inconsistent is a training issue for the CM that helped you. I always take names, and treat them with respect. If they do not give me what I feel is apropriate, I ask for a supervisor.

CarolAnnK, Thanks for leaving this thread open, especially since it is the best place for people to vent about the cancelled cruise. If this thread were locked, I feel that it would be much worse on the other threads.

imgoingtodisney, it does sound like you got a fair deal, and while it was a constant reminder of the cruise, I don't think it is reasonable for you to ask them to remove the ship model. I would hope that you would look at it and think of the 50% off coupon...

buzz&woody'smom, I agree with a lot of what you say, I can also see your grief in your post. I send you all the Pixie Dust I can. A vacation that has been well planned, and then gets taken away at the last minute can seem like the end of the world, especially to a small child. There is a lot of pain in the world, and WDW is one of those places where the problems of the world disappear. The inconsistency of the treatment given to people is a matter that WDW needs to address.

mac_tlc, I don't think you were treated with respect. I think that, from what you posted, DCL did not do enough for you. If I had been in your shoes, I would have demended them to make all of the arrangments for me. Obviously the one who helped you didn't have your best interests at heart. I would definately write a letter.

:bounce:

Originally posted by CarolAnnK
When you use DVC points outside of the DVC Resorts, as in the case of booking the Disney Cruise, you normally cannot use those points after cancelling at the DVC Resorts again. They become what is called "Reservation Points" and can only be used outside of the DVC Resorts.

The only concern I have is that it is one thing if the member is responsible for the cancellation, but when the cruise line is responsible, the DVC member shouldn't be penalized for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter