• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

IMPORTANT - 11/30 MAGIC CRUISE HAS BEEN CANCELLED (11/30 Cruisers Discuss Here)

gometros,

As I continued on in the post that you quoted only half of, the DVC has indeed taken that into consideration and will allow those booked on points to keep them in good standing, not as reservation points, and in fact allow them to be used any time in 2003. They are also offered the 50% off on rebooking with points.

Originally posted by CarolAnnK
gometros,

As I continued on in the post that you quoted only half of, the DVC has indeed taken that into consideration and will allow those booked on points to keep them in good standing, not as reservation points, and in fact allow them to be used any time in 2003. They are also offered the 50% off on rebooking with points.

Carol, my apologies. I only quoted the part that I thought was important (I hate when people quote entire posts only to add a few words of agreement). I didn't mean it as a slight, I just totally misread the last paragraph.

I am new to this board. This post is not to flame anyone or to attract the same. From the beginning i must tell you I love Disney and go there 1-2 times per year with my family. I was actually canceled from the 11/30 Magic sailing. By my count that actually makes 4 of us out of 11 pages of posts. I am a DVC member and want to add some facts to the discussion.

First, DCL IS going above and beyond the cruise contract. If you read the tickets closely, they really do not even have to refund our money (although this would be a REALLY bad customer service move). They definitely DO NOT have to offer any other compensation.

Second, DVC did go out of their way to bend/break rules to make points useable in the next use year. IMHO they had to do this based on our system to be anywhere near fair. It is true that if you were saving 3 years of points for this cruise and took the refund, you now have some issues next use year although they are not insurmountable. It is also true that using points to book a hotel is not smart. The same points to get in PO for a night would put me in a 1 or 2 bedroom condo at member resorts.

The real issue here is DCL and their application of a policy. I have spent most of the day on the phone with DVC and DCL at various levels of management. Here are the facts:

1. All canceled passengers were offered rescheduling or a full refund with a 50% coupon.

2. The coupon has strings. Certain blackout dates (Christmas and Thanksgiving) and it can only be used for the same kind of booking. It is for the same itin. and number of passengers in a like stateroom. You CANNOT get a suite with the coupon if you did not have a suite booked. Again, I see the strings as fair.

3. DCL did not apply immediate compensation to passengers equally. In the words of one manager "teams were told to give more to people who were already travelling or who pushed hard." If you pushed hard enough the final immediate compensation was to get a 4 night Wonder cruise and 3 night hotel stay with park passes and food vouchers in exchange for your 7 night cruise. As has been documented on this board, you could even cancel and rebook to the Wonder and still get the food and tickets AND 50% off a future cruise. This is where I have a problem.

I asked about rebooking to the Wonder. I asked about food vouchers and park passes. I was told "no." I am not a pushover and did get upset on the phone over several calls. Guess I didn't "push" hard enough.

This is no way to run any organization. A policy must be enforced equally across all parties involved. I am now working with Disney to make things right in my case but it is not easy. It may work out in the end. The point is not who is spoiled or who isn't. It is that Disney made a policy and then immediately broke it to satisfy some but not all passengers. That is wrong.

No problem gometros!! It is difficult sometimes to keep the written word and/or intent of one's post here on the internet. Just trying to keep all the DVC'ers informed of the decision here on the cancelled cruise!! :) When threads get this long, it is sometimes hard to skim thru without missing a beat! :)

tstan65, Welcome to the discussion and thanks for the info. I too use DVC points for the cruises, and I was WONDERing what they did exactly.

:bounce:

tstan65,

Welcome aboard... Sounds like your calls to DCL were similiar to mine. As I previously posted, when we did try to reschedule, we were told that we could not because of the fare we had.. Only option was refund + 50% off. I have a 4-5 page letter almost ready to go to Guest Communications..

I agree.. The inconcistency is very troubling. I "pushed" as hard as I thought was reasonable on the phone or in person to a number of CM's last week. We will see what devleops !!

mac_tlc

have any of the 11/30 cancelled cruisers received anything from DCL (or DVC) yet? I was told they are sending us letters/packages via fedex. However, I havent seen anything. Has anyone? Not even an email, nothing in writing

Hey guys!
I had to fight for my 50% off voucher.....
So no....no letter with kisses and hugs from DCL yet !

Okay, here's our story...

We just got home this morning (drove straight through - trying to beat the nasty weather in DC) from a FABULOUS 10 day stay at WDW. This is, of course, not at all what we were planning but when our 11/30 cruise was cancelled it was what we ended up with.

We, too, are DVC members. Member Services returned all of our points to the use-years the came from. We then booked two rooms at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for 11/30 - 12/5. We already had three nights booked at the All-Star Movies for after the cruise which left us with 12/6 uncovered. We ended up at the All-Star Music that night and just switched to the Movies the next morning. We have never minded switching resorts and this trip was no exceptions.

We saw the ship models everywhere and the DCL channel on the resort TVs but we were fine with that. In fact, we'd say things like "Oooh...I didn't feel the ship move at all last night did you?" and "Who would have thought there would have been so many giraffe and zebra at sea?". Corny, I know, but we dubbed this the "Making Lemonade Out of Lemons" Vacation and had a ball.

We are now looking into booking next year's cruise. We bought Annual Passes on this WDW stay and will go for a few days before or after the next cruise as well. All in all things have worked out great for us but, again, I think it is what you make of it.

The day we found out that the cruise was cancelled I was sad and wasn't sure that I wanted to go to WDW with no planning and on such short notice. We thought about Hilton Head or Vero Beach instead but ultimately went with WDW and I'm so glad we did. I have *never* had a more magical WDW vacation but I really do think it is all about perspective. We made the best of it and tried not to let the change in plans get us down.

And now I can say...I can't wait until our 2003 Magic Cruise!

Michele That is funny.I am so glad Your lemons turned out to be lemonade.Now you get another vacation I love your additude:cool:

I am so glad that you had as much fun as we did. I actually enjoy last minute planning and craziness, so it was kinda fun completely changing our plans at the last minute. Also, we had already decided that we wouldn't go to Disney World for at least 3 years (when the kids would be 7 and 8) but were pleasantly surprised at how much the kids enjoyed DW and we even enjoyed ourselves too! Had it not been for the cancelation, we would never have known that our kids were old enough for DW without tiring too quickly. Also, we have always had no desire to go to the Bahamas. We still didn't like it as a destination, but now we can say we have been there... and we were so happy to get back to the ship each day (paradise!) Also, since we will be rebooking for March/April 2004, we now know how great Castaway Cay is and there is more to look forward to now.

Hello all...just back from my 12 nights in Disney....spent 4 on the 12/1 sailing of the Wonder.....just very tired and sick.....unfortunately....I came down with an upper respitory infection while on the ship....left on Thursday and spent 3 days in the POR...finally went to the hospital in Celebration on Monday and found out I had pnumonia.....they gave me medication and a wicked shot and got to spend the next day there also since I passed out in the room during the night and hit my head....so now I have pnumonia and a concussion....thank god for good medical insurance....and the hospital was top notch also....needless to say the vacation was interesting....gonna try to post a trip report tomorrow....ugly...very ugly.....but it was nice meeting nedleycam and family on Castaway Cay....nice talking to ya.....see ya all soon!

Tom

Ohhhhh Tom....so sorry to hear to got sick on vacation!!!! I know how much you were looking forward to this trip from all your previous posts!!!!

Hope you feel top notch soon and get to experience the 7 day DCL cruise in the future, sans sickness!!!!

Looking forward to your trip report when you feel up to it. Welcome back to the boards!!!

MJ

Yup...you're right...I was looking forward to that vacation more than anyone would know....but it was a downer....and now I look forward to next November 29th,2003 when we finally get on the Magic for our week!

tom

Hi Tom,

We were on the same cruise. My friend was very sick the last day of the cruise, vomiting and diarrhea that would not quit. She had to have a shot in the very early hours on the ship, which really did turn her around. But I talked to her last week and she now has an upper respiratory infection too. Poor thing. As if suffering a stroke wasn't enough. I do know however that she has no regrets about having sailed. She's just glad it hit her on the last day and not the first day.

Hope your feeling better soon!

Hi All! This is my very first post so be patient with me!! I have been reading for months now so I feel I know some of you! We were also supposed to be on the 11/30 Magic. We went to WDW instead and stayed at Old Key West (we were lucky to get in). I was VERY disappointed about the cruise but we made the best of it even though my son broke his wrist 2 days before we left and we were in a car accident in Florida! What else could have gone wrong?! (no one injured in accident - that was a blessing!). I, too, am still waiting for the 50% off coupon that is alledgedly coming in the mail. If anyone receives it would you please post so the rest of us can watch our mailboxes? Thanks to all and have a great holiday season :earsgirl:

Welcome kellygirl, I hope you all heal up, and look at it as a minor blessing...a broken arm on a cruise dosn't sound very fun!
:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter