IMPORTANT - 11/30 MAGIC CRUISE HAS BEEN CANCELLED (11/30 Cruisers Discuss Here)

The post I took exception to has been deleted.
no one needs to feel bad, I just did not want to see a debate started or what/if senerios aired right before I leave. I am sure everyone meant no harm!

We were on the first western cruise, 5-11-02 everyone had that bug for atleast a day, what is it, why cant they get rid of it???/

I can never get those great deaqls, hurricane or cancelled cruise to get 50 % off the next one or like some [people free

plus all those discounts :(

Originally posted by WebmasterMichelle
Speaking of the CDC, here is a VERY informative transcript of a briefing held by the CDC where they discuss the outbreaks of Norwalk virus on all cruise ships:

http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/transcripts/t021127.htm

This is the most detailed information I have seen and I would urge everyone to read it who wants to be fully informed. It was very reassuring to me. :)

This was interesting. Thanks for posting. For those that are concerned I can't see how it's very reassuring. From what I read it seems they really can't do much, and that taking the Magic out of service for a week is simply hoping it will alleviate the problem, but they can't guarantee it. They don't know for sure how long the virus can live in the open, nor can the guarantee it won't be carried back on board.

The problem I see now is that the minute someone picks up food poisoning or some bug from eating at some restaurant at a port, they are going to claim "Norwalk!" and demand compensation. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info very informative,, not new to cruise ships it says very common, thats something,,,,

Just to clarify, one part I found reassuring was that when HAL took a ship offline to do this kind of sanitation in the past it DID break the cycle of the virus, and they are also reporting no outbreaks among the crew cleaning the Amsterdam, which sails again on 12/1 after a 10-day break and sanitation efforts. Taking the ships offline for the cleaning and the break from passengers coming onboard definitely DOES seem to help.

Of course there are no guarantees that a new outbreak won't happen on any of the sanitized ships, but I am reassured that they are doing all they can to stop the CURRENT one. :)

I was just curious if they ever reported how many cruisers ended up with the virus this time out?

Its kinda of sad to see the Magic in port this am, knowing see will be docked for the next 7 days.

I wonder if Disney and other cruise lines could help keep this virus under control by putting Purel (or other similar antibacterial) at the beginning of buffet lines, at the end of buffet lines, etc.

I agree with you, dmadman
The problem I see now is that the minute someone picks up food poisoning or some bug from eating at some restaurant at a port, they are going to claim "Norwalk!" and demand compensation.
I can definitely see that happening....

Michelle,
The one thing I found interesting in that article is that they said another problem was people not reporting to the medical facility because they did not want to be confined to their cabin. I can't see how anyone could possibly (although I know they will) blame DCL for the virus. As the CDC said, handwashing is the number one prevention of the virus!

Thanks for posting it. I hope everyone reads it and understands that the ones reporting are experts.

After lurking on the boards and having a protracted temper tantrum because MY VACATION WAS CANCELLED, the adult in me came to the party. I am so disappointed. Non-refundable airline tickets, tuxedo rentals, formal wear and warm weather clothes which may go unused by the kids, weeks of packing and re-packing, planning, and the fact that I really REALLY needed that Surial Bath!
Truthfully, I just don't see how Disney could have pulled it all off, under the circumstamnces, for anyone, at any price. Magic is their business. We all agree to be fooled by them, and we pay them to do it. We pay them for the illusion that all is what we want it to be. While under the Disney spell, we forget about our jobs, school, world events, etc. We leave the ordinary world we must live in, and for a while, we smile a bit longer, children giggle and complain far less often. People seem friendlier and more accomodating. We see things through a childs eye. We feel safe. And Disney, despite some postings to the contrary, still manages to pull it off.
As optimistic as some of us were, that illusion was not going to happen in true Disney fashion. Now we all sit here feeling sorry for ourselves. We DESERVE SOMETHING. How sad. We all have so much to begin with. The fact that any of us have the resources to afford such diversions is enough reason to be happy. Does anybody know if anyone from say, Kabul, was scheduled to be on OUR cruise? Probably not. We can re-schedule. True, we may not get THE cabin, on THE date, with THE same shipmates, or any number of other variables, but come on. I'm not saying not to be disappointed, but just think of all we have to be thankful for. In our homes, we have all we really need. As the holidays settle upon us, let's enjoy those things, and the Magic will find us if we let it.
It will find me January 25, to be exact. Until then, I will still lurk here, rolling my eyes at the nay-sayers, and maybe connect with someone who is as excited as I am to have a second shot at packing and re-packing, and planning and so on. Smiles to all

tlgoblue (goblueguy's better half)

You are going to have a great cruise January 25th Tlgoblue...that's because your attitude will make it a wonderful cruise :)

tlgoblue, I know you'll have a Magical cruise in January because of the great attitude you have and the fact that you are able to see there are things much more important than a cruise on a specific date.

I think if any of us were faced with it we would have been deeply disappointed and thrown our own tantrums and shed our own tears. The wonderful thing is that you were able to get over that, count your true blessings and make new plans.

Good for you - enjoy your cruise!

I agree, tlgoblue.
We are going on the DVC Members cruise in February. 4 days isn't enough. I will make the most out of the time I have on the Mouse Boat, and I know you will too.

I do know that DW will make me wash my hands...a lot!!!!!!!!!
:bounce:

Well.... Just thought I would add my 2c on the cancellation of the 11/30 voyage.. We had laft home in a snowstorm on Wednesday morning 11/27 after talking to DCL on Tuesday night. Got to OKW, and found out on the local news that the cruise had been cancelled. What followed was not pleasant... As I spent the last 40 minutes reading the posts in this thread, the experience seems to have been shared by Tom, although I think his resolution was better. After a number of calls, disconnects, etc. , the only info I could get was that we could reschedule, or get a refund and 50% off a future voyage. At this point it is Wednesday before a holiday, and we have no place to stay starting Saturday...with little or no hope of getting a flight back home that weekend.. DCL seemed uninterested in the airfare portion of the saga. Since it was not booked through them, they said I could write a letter to Guest Communications .. Not much help on 11/27.... As we discussed the situation Wed, night/Thurs. AM , we decided to reschedule.... Called DCL on Fri. AM, at 8AM, was told there were blackout weeks (Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving).... but were then told that because we had a discounted rate, we could NOT reschedule .. only option was refund.. Now running out of patience and options, we called the WDW TA reservations # , and after about an hour, got Coronado Springs, but not for the whole time.. only through 12/5. We were on our own for 12/6. . Was told that they were offering the 11/30 cruisers the TA "last minute " rate . ...... There was no mention of any other monetary or other accomodation. Later in the week, we inquired about the availability of Coronado Springs for Friday night 12/6. Talked to the front desk.. they had rooms available but only at full rack rate ... talked to manager and said we were supposed to be on the 11/30 cruise... uninterested ... rack rate only...

With school and work vacation schedules, it's not as easy as DCL would have made it seem to "use the 50% off" ... Very disappointed with DCL's judgements which , at least three times, were only driven by $$$....

I will write the letter to Guest Communications, in fact I drafted it in MGM--Studios on Friday 11/29, ........
Hope the other 11/30 cruisers had a easier time dealing with the situation, and DCL, than we had...

mac_tlc

Well, I am one of the 11/30 cancelled cruisers. We just returned from the 12/01 Wonder and a few days at Disney. The Disney people were fantastic! We choose to take the full refund and rebook our self. We saved $1500 (although we went from cat 5 to cat 9) and ended up at the Dolphin for our last two nights (so sorry that we didn't touch base Lori.. we were out of our room the entire time).
This is the story about Disney that I want to tell! When we arrived (after the cruise) at the Dolphin, we checked in as usual. I got a rate (from our agent) of $219 for two nights. At 4:30 p.m. of the day we checked in (Thursday) we got a call from the cruise desk at Dolphin. They told us that they had thrown in park passes and all our meals included! We didn't have to pay for anything! And, we still saved $1500 and will get the 50% off voucher. Not only that... but, when we checked out, we noticed that the bag of snacks that my husband bought us one evening was fully paid for by Disney Cruise Lines (THEY CLEARED OUR BILL!!!!)
So... will I cruise Disney again???? Of course... not just because of the 50% off coupon, but also with how generous they were with all the other extras. They are a class act!!!!
And... we had a fantastic time on the cruise. We were blessed with perfect weather, calm seas and good friends!

i'm so sorry your vacation turned into a nightmare...
i was wondering what happened to the people who were already on their way to florida when DCL cancelled...
i know we would have been there when you did since we travel from so far away....

by all means write that letter...
however don't just send it to guest communications...
send it to the CEO of DCL (Ouimet or something like that?) as well as to michael eisner as well as the head of WDW....
unfortunately, you probably won't get much other than a letter (if you even get that much)...
your best bet would have been to call the heads of DCL and WDW while you were there....
they actually might have doen something to compensate you then....they're known for that...they are not known for compensating after the fact....

no meals and no park passes for imgoingtodisney!!
we got our points returned to us but need to use them by the end of next year. So we'll need to spend even more points to stay onsite next year as dvc members or loose the points.
The only place to put us was not a DVC resort so therefore we needed to use more points.
And at Port Orleans they had the cruiseline ship replice and the pic of the Magic on the DVC board out in the open public so everytime I walked into the gift shop, arcade or to the front desk there it was staring me in the face! A few nights I was in tears at guest services telling them to please take down the ship, etc but they never did! And the DCL booth was set up there right in the lobby!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter