IMPORTANT - 11/30 MAGIC CRUISE HAS BEEN CANCELLED (11/30 Cruisers Discuss Here)

hey - thats not fair guys! Tom we dont get food vouchers or transportation to WDW! Im running up my food bill now and if I dont feed DH our food bill is at least $800 and thats food courts!

Hey Barb...the reason we got the vouchers is we had to convert the 7 day Magic to a 7 day land and sea...done differently than usual....and if we were on the ship for the 7 days they would have to feed us....so we are getting vouchers and I believe they are not food court vouchers...they best be decent meals....cause I am not eating hamburgers for the three days.....they did bend over backwards to help me I might add...actually Ric the CM did bend over...a couple of others should choose another line of work...but they origionally were going to put us up in the Hyatt at the airport....and I told Ric that we did not want to stay at the airport the whole day...nothing to do....he had to get us onto a Disney resort for the night....and he did....Floridian would have been nice....but the POR is OK too! We have to set up something with everyone to meet on day on land....so many will be in Disney World.....let's get a plan real quick!
Tom

Imgoingtodisney - are you still gonna insist DH get dress in formal attire for a couple of dinners? lol.

Tom, I live in the next town over - to the east. Wantagh. Glad to learn you were able to rearrange the vacation.

May all of you have a truly wonderful time...

nope and even my formal attire will stay home- guess tomorrow morn i get to unpack

No, we are taking are refund on the cruise, and we rebooked a separate vacation for the 12/1. Then, we will take our 1/2 off and rebook the Magic for next year (it is too good a deal!). This "revised" vacation on the Wonder is going to be a lot cheaper for us, so we save a few bucks. Although, we have gone from a cat. 5 to a cat. 9 guaranteed (maybe we will get moved up...).

Originally posted by taswira
Well, I guess this is irrelevant considering that they cancelled the 11/30 sailing, but my DH mentioned something that he wonders if the CDC had investigated. He wants to know where the guests who were the FIRST to get sick on these last two Magic cruises spent the night BEFORE their cruise. It seems that the virus is being carried onto the ship by passengers, then spreading from guest to guest. That would explain why all the cleaning stem to stern has not eliminated the virus.

If all the first guests to get sick shared the same hotel/restaurant the night before, my DH thinks the virus is at that location and will keep showing up on cruises until it is eliminated at the source. If that's the case, even taking the Magic offline for a week won't solve the problem.

Note: My DH has never cruised DCL and never visits the DIS board. He "forced" me to post this! Sorry . . .

Taswira -

Your Dh's theory might be a consideration - But how does that figure in with the people that have been sick on the HAL Amsterdam? It's been at least 3 past cruises with sickness and they have 10 day sailings. The CDC has confirmed that both ships have been suffering from a similar 'Norwalk Like Virus'.

If there was one common origination point, it would have to be common to Port Canaveral as well as the Port in Ft Lauderdal, which is about 200 miles south. It might be a stretch, but WDW or the Orlando area could be involved, since it's such a popular vacation place.

HOWEVER - There's another news story today that says a Toronto hospital has had to close it's ER because of an outbreak of a Norwalk Like Virus, here's a link to it: http://www.canada.com/health/story.html?id={81648580-99F8-4203-8B8A-0CFB55058CD5}

So I think if there is a common link, it must be very far back. And it's in more places than Ft Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, and Toronto. I've heard of several people having the same symptoms here in NE Florida too.

It's a virus that has gone very far, if it did have just one beginning.

My sympathies to those that have had their cruise trips cancelled and I hope you can enjoy something positive out of it yet.

I reported the Toronto Emergency Room closure a number of days ago. Because of that, and the fact that people from Illinois (one that I remember) also report large outbreaks, I don't think that cancelling the cruise is going to do anything. Once it is back in action, another passenger will get on the ship and pass it on to everyone again. I read somewhere (or maybe it was on my local Toronto News station) that the Norwalk virus is 4 times as active this year as any other year. So... I don't think that the measures Disney is taking is going to do anything... and I am not even upset anymore about missing next week's cruise, since I rebooked on the Wonder for next week... this is just my opinion, and always has been my opinion.

I swear it is what my family suffered here in Vermont a couple of weeks ago! And I have talked to people from California who suffered VERY similiar symptoms.

I'm very glad to hear that many of you were able to book on the 12/1 cruise. That's what I would have tried to do as well.

While it isn't the 7 day it is still a Disney cruise and will be a great experience for you and your families. Getting the 50% off a future cruise is a very good compensation for the juggling you had to do. Hope your 4 day cruise is WONDERful!

Originally posted by nedleycan
I reported the Toronto Emergency Room closure a number of days ago. Because of that, and the fact that people from Illinois (one that I remember) also report large outbreaks, I don't think that cancelling the cruise is going to do anything. Once it is back in action, another passenger will get on the ship and pass it on to everyone again. I read somewhere (or maybe it was on my local Toronto News station) that the Norwalk virus is 4 times as active this year as any other year. So... I don't think that the measures Disney is taking is going to do anything... and I am not even upset anymore about missing next week's cruise, since I rebooked on the Wonder for next week... this is just my opinion, and always has been my opinion.

Then this suggest to me this was purely a CYA move by Disney. They wanted to avoid potential lawsuits by showing they were being proactive about trying to address this. Believe me, given their financial position, they certainly would have done everything they could have done to sail. This will cost them A LOT of money. But they likely weighed that against the potential legal overhead. Also, one wonders how many cancellations they were suffering. Maybe they did something similar to the airlines in that they had enough cancellations that made it too costlly to sail. Dunno. Just seems more like a monetary decision than anything else.

Originally posted by nedleycan

Ok, but let's also consider that the DCL Wonder isn't reporting large numbers, and the other ships that sail out of Port Canaveral or out of Ft Lauderdale aren't reporting them either.

I don't think it's a North American outbreak or anything like that, it's reported in the U.K. and many other parts of the world. But I do think that in confined areas like ships, they're having more problems than others.

If they take the ship and the ships' crew offline for a week and break the contamination chain and sanitize the ship, I think that will help. It helped with the HAL ship Ryndam that was taken out of service last August in Alaska, and in other cases.

hope that helps

Linda-

We are staying at the Dolphin on Thurs and Fri nite too...we will definitely meet on the ship since Vincent and Cameron will be in the club together.
I spoke to Laurie a few times on the phone today, her husband does not want to do the Wonder but her TA didn't even tell her about the 50% off so I gave her the number and she is now booked in a cat 6 on the jan 25th 7 night Magic...good for her.

We really didn't save that much at all...we have to stay at the Dolphin for 1 add'l night in the beginning and then 2 nights at the end, we were downgraded from a cat 6 to a cat 7 and we are only getting refunded $730. I really don't care..at least we are going.

Lori

Hello everyone,
To all of those that are cruising this Sunday instead of the 11/30 Magic -------If you are in town and need some help of any kind and to where Norm or I can help, please take our phone number down and call us - 800-950-4559 or cell number 321-508-2246 - you just may never know -----my heart goes to all of those that have had such a disappointment on the cancellation - I know it is a "lump in your throat" thing -----Take care and ps H-AP-P-Y THANKSGIVING TO ALL.
Love always and hugsssssss from the Cape
Always
shirley

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow 11/30 cruisers.

DS kept asking for Chef Mickey's and I was telling him no way would we get in there at this late date. Guess what? We're having dinner with the mouse and doing the napkin dance Mon night!

Thanks for that offer Shirley!
Thanks for the kind words Barb!
That is great Lori! Yes, the kids will meet in the club. Hope everything goes as we had planned. Hey! I looked at the Wonder Navigator for 3-4 yo and it says that there is a Buzz Lightyear activity. Hopefully this doesn't change, cause Cam would love it! On the latest Magic Navigator there was only a Buzz activity for 5-7 yo... this would make his cruise!

I am so sorry for all you cruisers that had your cruise cancelled. I know I would be feeling so disappointed and, well, deflated I guess. :(

I hope you are able to find some other way to enjoy your week, and keep your chin up, you can have a whole new cruise in the future for less money! And who knows, maybe things really do happen for a reason?

(that's what I would be telling myself as I moped around the house;) )

<B>albiats:</B> It's my DH's theory, not mine, so I'm not sure of all his reasoning. But it does make <I>some</I> sense. It is <I>not</I> unlikely that there could be a "source" (virus host) hotel/restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale as well as Port Canaveral/Orlando. Norwalk virus is not that rare. As for the Wonder, who knows? I know I've had such symptoms on the Wonder and never reported it. I've known others who were miserably sick for one day and also did not report it. They, as I did, took Imodium and suffered through it. Unless you are made aware of an epidemic, you always figure it's just your own system adapting to all the different food, activity, and being at sea. So there <I>might</I> be unknown cases on the Wonder, just as many of the reported cases on the Magic might also <I>not</I> be Norwalk. My DH said the "test" will be what happens on the first Magic cruise after it is offline for a week. Still, I would have no qualms about boarding either ship right now. If the passengers are bringing it on, then I could just as easily contract it from one of them at WDW or a buffet line in a local restaurant. One thing I am certain of is that DCL is taking just as much care with cleanliness on the Wonder as the Magic right now, and they have always taken the utmost care anyway.

I am so very sorry to hear of the cancellation. As I have stated previously, if DCL felt it was safe, I would have gone, but they evidently don't kow.

Barb, I hope you have the best vacation you have ever had, and take the formal stuff with you ...reservations at Victoria and Alberts?

Webmaster Michelle, You are doing a great job, and I don't know what this forum will do without you while you are cruisin' (BTW, isn't it "Have a Magical Day?;))

Tom, I too have lost patience with the calibre of some of the newer cast members. I can remember planning my last vacation, one CM even refused to transfer me to a superviser. We all have stories, but from what I can understand there are not the standards in the HR department that there once were. On my last trip to WDW I was with a friend who's boyfriend was treated quite rudely by a CM. I won't go into the details, but it almost came to blows. On a good note, there are also lots of CM's that are "Magical" to deal with. The only place where I have found a policy of blatant disregard for guests feelings and opinions is TDS (the brick and mortar stores, not the online ones) Once you get to the regional/district manager level (a step above the stores) they just don't seem to care. The exception is the NY store, they have been consistently rude whenever I have called there.
(Sorry about the rant, more of it can be seen in the Rumors forum, where it belongs...
Are Disney Stores on the way out?
(Blatant Plug for a thread I started))

again, sympathies to all who had the cruise cancelled, but since DCL thinks that this needs to be (They have more of the facts than anyone), and since the decision is made, it is probably for the best.....

Have a Magical and Wonderous vacation, and if you are stuck at home enjoying a new bigscreen TV, make sure it is HDTV compatible, and that you at least have the Disney Channel to watch.....

:bounce:

I posted this elsewhere but thought I'd jump back in with this thought.........could a possible point of origination for the virus be *somewhere* in MCO. Just think of the volume of people and the multitude of destinations they have traveled from. It only takes one carrier to spread the virus....the grand meeting place at the port is a happy hunting ground for the virus to be passed on. Just an idea I had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter