It's a New TCD Trip Report- June 2010 at the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see your point. But isn't it also true that a wheelchair guest does not have equal access to the Contemporary Resort for the same reason? They have been using the small launches for the resorts for years.

TCD

Wheelchair users can get to the Contemporary by taking the large launch to MK, then taking the monorail or walking/rolling to the Contemporary.

There is very little "direct" transportation from resort to resort and there is an accessible way to get there, so they have met the requirement.

The limited amount of direct resort to resort transportation is really just a bonus.

As I said before the big cruiser/little launch thing to FW is supposed to be temporary.

Wilderness Lodge ALWAYS has the big cruiser/little launch situation to MK, but then they also provide a direct bus.

Sad day! We left early on the 11th so I'm sure we missed you. I should have left the glasses-- y'all might have enjoyed them too! :laughing:
Can't wait to read your report-- popcorn:: AND cute new addition!! LP and I were super sad we had to leave our dogs for so long.

I am sure that the one or two of you reading along are just itching to see some photos of site 617.

I won't make you wait any longer.

Here they are!

From the road:

FW610024.jpg

FW610025.jpg

FW610026.jpg

Don't miss the rusty grill lid (I don't think you can). That sure makes this premium site worth the jack!

And, for good measure, here are a couple of shots from the loop:

FW610027.jpg

FW610028.jpg

As you can see, this site now has a beautiful rail fence. Very nice! I hope to stay here one day. They need to make the fence higher, though. People can still swipe your burgers off the grill.

Next, we continued our looping on the 1600 loop, where we noticed that someone has forgotten to mow the grass at the Fort:

FW610029.jpg

FW610030.jpg

FW610031.jpg

A castmember set up this rental tent on Friday:

FW610032.jpg

Some folks showed up and camped there on Friday and Saturday night. They left Sunday morning. It looked like they had a good hot time.

Here we are in the 1900 loop:

FW610033.jpg

The 1800 and 1900 loops have been re-paved since April. The roadway on the 1900 loop was widened (look at how the driveways now extend into the loop):

FW610034.jpg

FW610035.jpg

Same deal in the 1800 loop:

FW610036.jpg

FW610037.jpg

It is good that the loop roadways have been widened, but this results in the available pavement for some of the sites being shortened by a foot or two. So, maybe this is not a good thing. For me, I will continue my efforts to avoid ever being assigned to the 1800 or 1900 loop.

Here is something that I noticed on my last visit, and meant to take a photo, but I didn't get around to it. This sign, at the four-way stop, gives the direction of the Fort Apache Playground. This presumably refers to the playground outside the 300 loop entrance, which used to have a Cowboy/Indians theme. It has not been referred to as the Fort Apache playground on any Fort map for a long, long time, and there are no Native American design elements to it any longer:

FW610038.jpg

Most of the signs around the Fort have been replaced in the past year or two. This one may not be here very much longer.

Here we are in the 2000 loop, where we find this visit's recipient of the TCD real man of genius award:

FW610039.jpg

Please take a moment to study the effort that went into setting up this campsite, including the satellite dish. I salute this camper! Way to go, my friend!

Here's something else that I have noticed before, but never photographed. At the second 2000 loop comfort station, there is a wide, paved driveway that leads up to the comfort station. Right next to it is one of those fake concrete stumps that are used for the utilities on the 2000 loop. See?:

FW610040.jpg

FW610041.jpg

FW610042.jpg

FW610043.jpg

FW610044.jpg

I guess this used to be a campsite. But, they made it into a driveway for the comfort station. Weird. None of the other comfort stations have driveways.

A couple more shots from the 2000 loop:

FW610045.jpg

FW610046.jpg

Our next stop will be the Tri-Circle-D horse barn:

FW610047.jpg

I was wondering where the Calliope project stands? Weren't you? Well, you will find out in my next post!

TCD

We were right next to the winner of the Real Men of Genius award! He told me that we were putting up a condo, but I think he had it backwards! :lmao: Did you see his sink? YES, he has a sink there, it's more like a washing sink found in a laundry room...it's huge! My little DD was annoyed by our neighbors, she said the little girl cried way more per day than she does! :rotfl: I just think DD has lost short-term memory!

We were right next to the winner of the Real Men of Genius award! He told me that we were putting up a condo, but I think he had it backwards! :lmao: Did you see his sink? YES, he has a sink there, it's more like a washing sink found in a laundry room...it's huge! My little DD was annoyed by our neighbors, she said the little girl cried way more per day than she does! :rotfl: I just think DD has lost short-term memory!

Somehow, I missed seeing the sink! This just proves that the award was well deserved. I also did not hear any crying going on. Maybe that will come when this guy has to pack all of this stuff back up to go home.

TCD

Let's see now, where were we?

Oh yes, at the horse barn.

As was reported in my last TR, for some reason someone in WDW management decided to build a display for the old Disney Calliope in the TCD horse barn.

And, here it is!:

FW610048.jpg

FW610049.jpg

FW610050.jpg

FW610051.jpg

FW610052.jpg

FW610054.jpg

FW610061.jpg

FW610062.jpg

FW610063.jpg

FW610064.jpg

FW610066.jpg

FW610067.jpg

After seeing this, I just have one question:

Why?

There are no signs or anything here to explain what this calliope is or why it is here. Presumably, they are going to play it from time to time, but there is no information in the barn explaining any of this. Also, the manner in which this thing is displayed makes it hard to get a good look at it. This is actually a pretty interesting item, but there is no information around explaining anything about it. Maybe that is yet to come.

Here is a photo of the model of the calliope, which has been on display here in the barn for years:

FW610068.jpg

And here's a photo of a photograph on display that shows the calliope in use at the Magic Kingdom:

FW610070.jpg

Luckily for you (and me) the calliope display was not the most interesting thing in the horse barn on Friday evening. Not by a long shot. Check this out. Here is a castmember hooking up the poop catcher to one of the carriage ride horses:

FW610057.jpg

FW610058.jpg

FW610059.jpg

FW610060.jpg

I'll bet you've never seen that before!

Outside the barn, we see some folks on a carriage ride:

FW610071.jpg

FW610072.jpg

Next up . . .

Some more River Country pics . . .

And, the TCD gang views the Summer Nightastic Fireworks from Clementine's Beach.

TCD

Here is a castmember hooking up the poop catcher to one of the carriage ride horses:

FW610057.jpg

FW610058.jpg

FW610059.jpg

FW610060.jpg

I'll bet you've never seen that before!

TCD

And for some reason people still feel the need to pay $70 a head to get into one of the parks. Guess they don't realize entertainment like this is available for FREE.

Great pics and report, as always, the best in art and stories.
And congrats on the newest family member, :thumbsup2, Rocky, thats a very good name.

I am actually somewhat excited to see that calliope on my next visit. Which of course is a long way off...boycott and all.

Great report so far TCD.

I always thought they used the convenient poop bags located throughout the pet loops to clean up after the horses.

And by the way, Dave, the boycott is over - it was last year.

My uncle has a Percheron that he bought from the Amish while visiting my aunt in Mississippi. He used to show TN walking horses and always wanted a draft horse to pull a haywagon.

I took him to the fort during a rental pickup and we spent about an hour with a CM at the barn who was very informative. Even though my uncle is an experienced horse trainer she told him a few things to expect from his horse. Did anyone know that all the WDW horses are geldings? I didn't until she told us. Anyway, great report as always TCD.

I didn't notice the puny whistle- but that stinks, too! Who complained about the loud whistle? One of my favorite sounds at the Fort is hearing those whistles reverberate through the campground! Boo Disney!TCD

I don't know I can kind of see the problem. The fireworks are pretty loud too and I know they disturbed me quite a few nights. Let's get rid of those too.

Just kidding - if it was up to me I'd bring back the peacocks. Plus I loved lying in the tent in the morning listening for the boat whistles. I'll definitely miss it.
Mo

Who complained about the loud whistle? One of my favorite sounds at the Fort is hearing those whistles reverberate through the campground! Boo Disney!

TCD

Amen, TCD, Amen

It was not anyone of my hoard that complained. You can be sure of that!pirate:

... if it was up to me I'd bring back the peacocks. Plus I loved lying in the tent in the morning listening for the boat whistles. I'll definitely miss it.
Mo

I miss the peacocks...
peacock.gif

And now apparently I'm going to miss waking up to the launch whistle in the morning too. :sad2:

Great TR as always, TCD! And congrats on the new addition - Rocky is one handsome pup!! :goodvibes

And now back to....
popcorn::

Dang! I checked the boards this morning when there was no new TCD report, then was off till tonight and I'm already just getting to join in on page 3! Regardless, I'm happy to have this report to look forward to. popcorn:: Thanks!

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter