It's a New TCD Trip Report- June 2010 at the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so pathetic, I've actually searched on YouTube just to find videos that have the boat whistle in them so I can hear them now and then. I love that sound. Now, I also love the small boat whistle...but I would sure miss the loud horn if they are gone.

Did anyone know that all the WDW horses are geldings? I didn't until she told us. Anyway, great report as always TCD.

I used to be a stallion, but I got married and now I share something with the horses at WDW.

When I was a little girl in Poland, we all had ponies. My sister had pony, my cousin had pony...

Hey... We were in the 1500 loop from 6/6 to 6/13... two sites down from TCD. That's two disers we missed seeing on this trip.

And for some reason people still feel the need to pay $70 a head to get into one of the parks. Guess they don't realize entertainment like this is available for FREE.

You got that right, bro! As Florida residents, we purchase the seasonal passes, which are blacked out during the Summer and Christmas and Easter. We used to not visit the Fort during those times. Now, I look forward to visiting and not heading out to the parks. Even when our passes are active, I find that we will typically just hit a park for a few hours, and then high tail it back to the Fort.

Great pics and report, as always, the best in art and stories.
And congrats on the newest family member, :thumbsup2, Rocky, thats a very good name.

Well, thanks, Frank. I personally wanted to name Rocky something Fort related. I really lobbied hard for Billy Bowlegs, but I lost by a landslide. Since this puppy naming debacle, I was thinking of changing the TCD form of government from a democracy to a benevolent dictatorship. But, I was not sure I wanted Mrs. TCD to have that much power. And since Rocky doesn't have bowlegs, I have come around to liking his name.

I am actually somewhat excited to see that calliope on my next visit. Which of course is a long way off...boycott and all.

Great report so far TCD.

Dave- I will let you know when they start playing the calliope. Then I will personally switch the signs over at the MK boat docks. Then the boycott will be over, and y'all can head on down!

As always great report!!:thumbsup2 We also was surprised with the new docking at MK over Memorial Day.:confused:

So this began on Memorial Day weekend? It is a pretty recent change, then.

I always thought they used the convenient poop bags located throughout the pet loops to clean up after the horses.

And by the way, Dave, the boycott is over - it was last year.

Thanks for stopping by FWG- your humor is always appreciated! :thumbsup2

Great detail in this TR! Its the next best thing to being there! popcorn::

Thanks, Alice!

My uncle has a Percheron that he bought from the Amish while visiting my aunt in Mississippi. He used to show TN walking horses and always wanted a draft horse to pull a haywagon.

I took him to the fort during a rental pickup and we spent about an hour with a CM at the barn who was very informative. Even though my uncle is an experienced horse trainer she told him a few things to expect from his horse. Did anyone know that all the WDW horses are geldings? I didn't until she told us. Anyway, great report as always TCD.

Hey Donnie! Thanks for checking in. I never thought about it before, but I think all the horses in the barn have always had boy names.

I don't know I can kind of see the problem. The fireworks are pretty loud too and I know they disturbed me quite a few nights. Let's get rid of those too.

Just kidding - if it was up to me I'd bring back the peacocks. Plus I loved lying in the tent in the morning listening for the boat whistles. I'll definitely miss it.
Mo

I am with you on the peacocks. I thought I really didn't care that they were gone, but I did like to hear their calls late at night and early in the morning.

Anxiously awaiting your next post TCD...

popcorn::

Thanks, Lisa. Another installment will be posted momentarily.

Amen, TCD, Amen

It was not anyone of my hoard that complained. You can be sure of that!pirate:

Can I get a hallelujah from the congregation! I didn't even realize the boat horns had changed. I want them back!

Great trip report as usual TCD! Looking forward to more... popcorn::

Thanks, Lynn. More will be coming right up!

I miss the peacocks...
peacock.gif

And now apparently I'm going to miss waking up to the launch whistle in the morning too. :sad2:

Great TR as always, TCD! And congrats on the new addition - Rocky is one handsome pup!! :goodvibes

And now back to....
popcorn::

Thanks, Monique. Maybe we can get the boat horns back by the time you make your annual pilgrimage.

Dang! I checked the boards this morning when there was no new TCD report, then was off till tonight and I'm already just getting to join in on page 3! Regardless, I'm happy to have this report to look forward to. popcorn:: Thanks!

Leslie

Hi Leslie- Thanks for checking in. Not to worry, you haven't missed much (and probably won't miss much even when this TR is finished). Your caught up now, right. So, onward we go!

Do you have another trip to the Fort planned?

I'm in!!!!!!!! I can't read it all tonight but I will catch up tomorrow.:cool1:

What do you mean, you can't read it all? Let's get with it here. Get your priorities straight. We have a long way to go, so get on board.

I am so pathetic, I've actually searched on YouTube just to find videos that have the boat whistle in them so I can hear them now and then. I love that sound. Now, I also love the small boat whistle...but I would sure miss the loud horn if they are gone.

Don't be so hard on yourself Dave. If you think about it, you really aren't that pathetic. Strike that, maybe don't think about it too hard. In fact, don't think about it at all.

Let's change the subject.

How about we talk about River Country.

Everybody likes that.

I used to be a stallion, but I got married and now I share something with the horses at WDW.

See?

That's what I am talking about.

Some good FWG humor!

I hope Mrs. FWG doesn't see this.

When I was a little girl in Poland, we all had ponies. My sister had pony, my cousin had pony...

OK, why do I feel like I am watching Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football?

I know this is supposed to be funny, but the reference escapes me.

Is this from Borat?

Mrs. TCD would not give me permission to watch that movie.

And, the sad thing is that I think I would have liked it.

So, Dave . . .

Watchu talkin' 'bout Willis?

Keep it coming TCD. Great report as always.
If you need a Fort Wilderness horn fix here is a video for you.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1930125&highlight=boat+video

Thanks for the link, I will have to check it out.

Hey... We were in the 1500 loop from 6/6 to 6/13... two sites down from TCD. That's two disers we missed seeing on this trip.

So are we talking 1514? Backing up to the canal? I recall seeing some type of mobile-like sign hanging at your site. Too bad I didn't take a closer look.

Were you there when the F-bombs started flying at site 1515? According to my across-the-loop neighbors, I missed a big cat fight at this site on Sunday night (from the best I could figure, it was one man, two adult women, and a bunch of kids). When the F-bombs started back up late Sunday night, my neighbor even came over to ask if I thought we should call security. I said no, based on what I had heard all day, that was just how these folks talked to each other. The male at this site could give both Richard Pryor and George Carlin a run for their money.

More of that free Fort entertainment!

You ain't going to see that at the Grand Floridian!

TCD

Yeah, we were in 1514. Wife made the Mickey head with the green Mickey in the middle. Do you have the Disney chicks cart?

Anyway, We left Sunday at noon so we missed all the F bombs...Thank God. That would have been great for my Kids to hear.

Moving along, we are still discussing Friday evening, June 11.

As we explored the campground, we paid yet another visit to the old River Country location.

I found a picnic table had been conveniently pulled right up to the fence, thus allowing these photographs (was that from you Discamper?):

FW610073.jpg

FW610074.jpg

FW610075.jpg

FW610076.jpg

FW610077.jpg

FW610078.jpg

FW610079.jpg

This is the area where Discamper had snapped a photo of a survey marker. But, it sure doesn't look like anything is happening back here. At least in the area you can see by standing on the picnic table and peering over the fence. This is where I hatched my plan to rig up some new technology to get some photos of the area just past what we can see here. We will be back here on Saturday morning to give that a trial run. I can tell you that there will be some photos of some previously unseen areas of River Country for you to take a look at.

I mentioned at the beginning of this TR that there would be some news flashes.

Get ready for one.

Because here it comes.

Are you ready?

Guess what you can now purchase at the Meadow Trading Post?

In a souvenir mug?

A Goofy Glacier!!!!

Wow!!!!

But that's not all!!

You can also buy gourmet jelly beans!

In bulk!

However you want them!

Your choice!!!!

Who says the Fort is neglected?

I know you think I'm pulling your leg.

Because this does seem too good to be true.

But, check it out:

FW610257.jpg

FW610256.jpg

FW610258.jpg

FW610088.jpg

FW610087.jpg

FW610081.jpg

There's your news flash.

BTW- That slushy machine has been in the Meadow Trading Post for a few years. But, it was in a location around the corner from where it was now, and the drinks were not called Goofy's Glaciers. What kind of fool is going to pay that kind of money for a Slurpee wanna be? (Remember this comment-this is foreshadowing-there will be a funny/ironic photo that goes with this later in the report).
Actually, the rearranging that happened here is good. There is now a counter around the coffee machine, and there is room for a customer to step aside and fix his coffee so the next guy can get to the machine. There didn't used to be room for that before.

I have this idea for a project to work on at some point when I have some spare time.

I want to pick 20 items from the Meadow Trading Post, and document the prices. And, then I want to drive over to the Winn Dixie around the corner from the Fort and price the same items. The results would be interesting. To me anyway.

Just for giggles, here are a few items offered for sale at the Fort:

Cheeze (not to be confused with cheese) in a can:

FW610248.jpg

I don't think you can read the price tag- it says $7.95!

A small can of beans:

FW610249.jpg

Charcoal:

FW610254.jpg

I am not sure if you can read that price tag either. It says $6.95. They charge this price for both types of charcoal that are for sale:

FW610255.jpg

As much as it irks me the way Disney tries so hard to separate me from my money, I still love the Fort, and keep coming back from more.

Because of things like this . . .

Look at these beautiful roses blooming right by the golf cart parking area at the Meadow Trading Post:

FW610259.jpg

FW610260.jpg

And, I stopped to smell them, too.

You, know, that is a really good saying.

Stop and smell the roses.

I can't say that I ever have before.

But, I'm glad I did.

And, you should too!

TCD

Will you stop it.. :goodvibes ....we have all these pics that was suppose to go in OUR trip report. You keep beating me to it. Guess I'll just post some boring photos...lol

Keep it coming TCD. Great report as always.
If you need a Fort Wilderness horn fix here is a video for you.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1930125&highlight=boat+video

hey that's my video! thanks for reposting! i thought i lost it from my computer when i reformatted and forgot all about this post!!

i am not liking the dock change at all. the poor GF snobs were probably getting sunburned as they waited on their boat. in august, that wait is going to be BRUTAL, not to mention WET on rainy days. i used to feel SORRY for those people and now that will be us! grrr

Like my DH (flash828) posted earlier, we took some picts of the food last week as well.
I got to thinking, you could buy a can of that cheese or go canoeing for an hour with a dollar to spare...
:teacher:

Seinfeld episode. He's at dinner at an elderly relatives and he insults people who had ponies.

Seinfeld? I should have known that! Now I feel like a lowly double dipper.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Yeah, we were in 1514. Wife made the Mickey head with the green Mickey in the middle. Do you have the Disney chicks cart?

Anyway, We left Sunday at noon so we missed all the F bombs...Thank God. That would have been great for my Kids to hear.

I saw your DW's sign, but didn't stop to read it. Dang.

Yes we were driving a Disney Chicks golf cart. Needless to say my man card was revoked long ago. It's not my cart, though, I just borrowed it for the weekend.

Yes, my kids got quite the earful from the site next door. It was actually very sad how the adults spoke to the children. Made Mrs. TCD and I look like parents of the year.

TDC did you get any new pics of the finished CS in the 1900 loop?

No, I didn't. I thought about it, but decided to leave the honors to you. I actually took a shower over there one morning. For whatever reason, the men's side of the 1500 loop comfort station was very warm all weekend. Like the AC was not quite working. The 1700/1900 comfort station pretty much looks like all the rest, but it seems brighter in there. Like maybe they used lighter colors. The one big difference is that for some reason there is a big pull handle in addition to the door knob on the entry door, and the reverse of the door has a fake wood paneling finish on it (?) :confused3 I'm not sure why?

Also, on Sunday evening, I was out looping, and noticed that they had Out of Order signs posted on both the men's and women's doors. The doors were locked and could not be opened- I tried my KTTW card. I am not sure what the problem was or how long the CS was closed, but there didn't seem to be anyone working on it. I noticed that they had what looked like a portable AC unit hooked up in back. I don't know how long it was closed, but it was reopen on Monday am. That could certainly be a problem to arrive at the CS and find it closed. It's not exactly a short walk to the next closest one.

Will you stop it.. :goodvibes ....we have all these pics that was suppose to go in OUR trip report. You keep beating me to it. Guess I'll just post some boring photos...lol

No worries, go ahead and post your photos. They can't be exactly the same. I will be happy to see them.

hey that's my video! thanks for reposting! i thought i lost it from my computer when i reformatted and forgot all about this post!!

i am not liking the dock change at all. the poor GF snobs were probably getting sunburned as they waited on their boat. in august, that wait is going to be BRUTAL, not to mention WET on rainy days. i used to feel SORRY for those people and now that will be us! grrr

There is a cover on the new location, so it is not totally exposed, but I think you're right- if there's a storm, the cover isn't going to keep anybody dry.

Keep it coming TCD. :surfweb:

Yes sir. Coming right up . . .

TCD

FW610037.jpg

When did you come through and take this photo? 1827 was our site from June3 - 13!! Here is our sign right on the other side of the drive:

DSC_3180.jpg

When did you come through and take this photo? 1827 was our site from June3 - 13!! Here is our sign right on the other side of the drive:

DSC_3180.jpg

I am pretty sure it was on June 11-Friday late afternoon- so you must have been right there!

I remember your sign, too. I figured you must have been on the Disboards, what with it being lime green and all, but I didn't recognize the name. Nice job on the sign, though.

TCD

You want some more?

Here's some more!

We have arrived at Friday evening.

We enjoyed our traditional first night treat of a delicious Giddyap and Go chicken dinner from Trail's End.

We had a busy day, and ate lunch a bit later, so it was just before 8 pm when we arrived back at the site to enjoy our meal. We ate outside at the picnic table. It had cooled off quite a bit. It was still hot, but not brutal. To this point, I had not run into any insects. No mosquitoes. No yellow flies. As it started to get dark, we noticed a few of the yellow flies. I think we all got bit a couple of times. No biggie. We also ran into a few mosquitoes, but this was 100% than what we experienced in April, when we got chased into the camper by the bugs.

After eating, it was time for some more looping.

Our big plan for the evening was to be at the beach for the 10 pm fireworks show. Des1954 reported a week or so ago about the new Summer Nightastic Fireworks at the MK. We wanted to see these and see if the musical accompaniment was played at the Fort. I also was going to try to get a few photos.

We saw the fireworks fine from the beach. We heard the narration and music perfectly, and I took too many photos. There have been a few questions of late about what the fireworks look like from the Fort Wilderness beach. Here's what they look like:

FW610096.jpg

FW610108.jpg

FW610109.jpg

FW610110.jpg

FW610120.jpg

FW610121.jpg

FW610131.jpg

FW610135.jpg

FW610138.jpg

FW610139.jpg

These next few came out kind of cool- you can see the silhouettes of some kids playing down at the edge of the beach:

FW610140.jpg

FW610141.jpg

FW610143.jpg

I know.

I know.

That's too many fireworks pics.

But, I took too many, and I couldn't pick which ones to post. The good news is that is all the fireworks you will have to look at.

For now.

I do have some more fireworks photos that I took from another location.

You will have to suffer through those later.

We will move onto something else for now.

In fact, that is the end of Friday's photos.

I think we were in bed before midnight.

Wimps.

But, I was up early Saturday morning.

First stop was to check on the old River Country tanker wagon. Supposedly it was moved so it could be restored and returned to its site near the Settlement Playground.

Well, it's still sitting behind the Settlement Trading Post:

FW610144.jpg

FW610145.jpg

This project is on the back burner big time.

I noticed that they have put some type of asphalt looking stuff on the sand of the old pedestrian trail that begins behind the Settlement Trading Post:

FW610146.jpg

I'm not sure what this is all about. I know they did some clearing in the ditch that connects with the canal behind the 300 loop, and I imagine this was just to provide a better surface for the construction vehicles. But, it doesn't look real nice.

Here's a couple photos of Pioneer Hall, which I share just because I have them to share:

FW610147.jpg

FW610148.jpg

This is where the River Country tanker wagon belongs:

FW610149.jpg

FW610150.jpg

It looks like everything is still in place here. Look, you can even see the little places where the wheels are supposed to go:

FW610151.jpg

FW610152.jpg

So for now, it still looks like the wagon will come back, and this will not be the new site for the DVC sales office for the DVC River Country project.

Speaking of River Country . . .

That's where we will be heading next . . .

TCD

YAY and Thanks for the fireworks photos. We'll be there next Tuesday evening doing one of our fave activities in all of Disney World - the fireworks and Water Parade from the beach! So glad to hear they have the new narration running loud and clear at the Fort!

I say - keep 'em coming!

That tanker was removed on 3/18...so this Friday it will be 3 solid months it has sat in that same spot. I suppose it is promising it hasn't been hauled away to the scrapyard or behind the old roundhouse. Maybe a refurb will come in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter