Josh Duggar's Trial Begins Today... GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS!

Usually if there is a high-profile case coming up, especially Federal, people who are in line for the pool are sent a questionnaire that asks some basic screening questions designed to weed out candidates that have an obvious conflict of interest.
This seems to not be the process in KS:

From the state's Federal webpage (underlying is mine)
Please be advised the U.S. District Court sends out letters requesting juror qualification information to randomly selected registered voters in Kansas. Collecting this information is the first step of a process undertaken every two years to develop a pool of qualified jurors who could be called for federal jury service. The letter directs recipients to www.ksd.uscourts.gov/eJUROR to answer a short series of questions and provides the phone number 800-959-9519 to call with any questions or concerns. The only personally identifiable information the court requests from you is a participant number, which is provided on the letter, and your date of birth. The court will not ask for your Social Security number, credit card or bank account information, or any other sensitive information. If you are uncomfortable providing information electronically through the secure website, or you do not have access to a computer, it is not necessary to contact the court. A jury questionnaire form will automatically be mailed to those who do not respond via eJUROR. If you are still concerned about the legitimacy of any information being requested of you, please contact the jury department at ejuror@ksd.uscourts.gov or 800-959-9519."

"Every month a number of jurors are selected from the qualified wheel and sent jury summons. The jury information form may be completed and returned by mail or completed on-line at eJuror. The District of Kansas covers the entire state of Kansas so your summons will tell you which division you would report to, Kansas City, Topeka or Wichita."

"Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1861, all litigants “have the right to grand and petit jurors selected at random from a fair cross section of the community.” The court uses a two-step process to select jurors. First, a master jury wheel is created by selecting names at random from the official list of registered voters. Then, names are randomly drawn periodically from the master jury wheel to receive juror qualification questionnaires. Individuals’ answers to these questionnaires determine whether they are legally qualified to serve. If so, the names of those persons are put in a second or qualified wheel. As prospective jurors are needed for a specific trial or grand jury, jurors summonses are sent to persons randomly selected from the qualified wheel. All of these selections are carried out through a properly programmed electronic data processing system for pure randomized selection. The pure randomized process ensures that the mathematical odds of any single name being picked are substantially equal. Please see D.Kan.Rule 38.1, Random Selection of Grand and Petit Jurors, for additional information."

At least according to the information above you don't get a questionnaire each Federal trial. You are sent a questionnaire but it's so you can be determined if you even fit into a pool of potential jurors. If your questionnaire passes (which seems they are just asking qualifying information like where you live, your criminal history, your citizenship information, etc) then you're added to the pool. From that pool you may be selected to be summoned for a jury duty. There is no indication that a questionnaire is sent again after being summoned for jury duty or that the questions asked are to weed out conflicts of interests.

Further a link on the state's webpage goes to a U.S. Handbook for jurors in which case this is on the following "Questions are then asked to find out whether any individuals on the panel have any personal interest in the case or know of any reason why they cannot render an impartial verdict. The court also wants to know whether any member of the panel is related to or personally acquainted with the parties, their lawyers, or the witnesses who will appear during trial. Other questions will determine whether any panel members have a prejudice or a feeling that might influence them in rendering a verdict. Any juror having knowledge of the case should explain this to the judge." That is advised happens after a person is sworn in to be a potential juror.

Then again I'm just going off the information I have. I have not served on a Federal jury to give such information. I don't know what concessions are being done for covid in places that are not having in-person trials still.

The dad doesn’t remember much of when his son molested multiple of his daughters?? That’s the kind of thing that should haunt you for the rest of your life.
So I remember on some other thread people were talking about if family members would cover for someone and I think it was sorta split with people thinking no way would they to they probably would. I was watching a newer police/investigation tv show that happened to feature part of my metro and basically each episode they've said families will do a lot to cover or aid their family members. Obviously they weren't speaking for everyone but it seems to be enough that the police and detectives find it difficult to solve cases and your comment and that prior whatever thread it was on discussion and then this tv show made me think of it.

To me this isn't some event that happened 60 years in the past where someone let their mind somehow forget. His dad knows (IMO), he knows but either can't make himself think about it again or is just like what was talked about family protecting family.

Oh this also makes me think of that tragic young child and the grandfather with the cruise and the window. How that family reacted, how he reacted, etc.

The above is the standard Federal jury selection procedure, but IME in both Federal & state courts, an extra step may be added if the trial is very high-profile. I got one of those letters once; it included a list of names and I was supposed to check off whether or not I had met any of them. It was only about the sort of thing that would get you automatically excluded from 1 particular trial.

I can’t see how he’d be relevant to the case otherwise. The cellmate is a registered sex offender — he and Josh probably found they had a lot in common to talk about. :crazy2:

I don't think he was in jail very long, maybe a couple of days? I think he is currently staying with a family friend. He is still able to see his kids, which is sad and scary.

I, personally, wouldn’t be able to be a jurist on this trial. The content would be too disturbing for me. I applaud every one of those jury members. This is such important work.
Completely agree. The things that are going to be unearthed during this trial will leave any thinking, feeling human with a huge pit in their stomach. I hope people are offered counselling after sitting on juries for cases like these. Years ago, my husband was called for jury duty for a high profile murder case. It was truly disturbing and they had a large pool for their jury selection. He got out of it thank goodness.

I was shocked to read his wife has recently giving birth to another child.
She named the baby, Madyison. Her husband was called out for being on that Madison website for cheating husbands several years ago, I just don't get it. Of all the names in this world, you choose that one?
I didn’t even think of this. Wow.

I guess Jill and Joy's husbands showed up to court yesterday. Anna was NOT present for the viewing of some graphic images/videos. Josh apparently had a browser called Tor downloaded that basically allowed him to navigate the "dark web" without being tracked (I am NOT this tech savvy so I'm not sure if this is 100% correct)... his defense said it was for him to sell cars and avoid the paparazzi. :rolleyes2 I'm hoping this trial doesn't take too long...

I guess Jill and Joy's husbands showed up to court yesterday. Anna was NOT present for the viewing of some graphic images/videos. Josh apparently had a browser called Tor downloaded that basically allowed him to navigate the "dark web" without being tracked (I am NOT this tech savvy so I'm not sure if this is 100% correct)... his defense said it was for him to sell cars and avoid the paparazzi. :rolleyes2 I'm hoping this trial doesn't take too long...

She should have stayed to see exactly how disgusting her husband is.

"Yes. We really felt like that they – that Josh – we were thankful that he came and told us what had happened, which that was a big step, because we didn’t catch him doing something, but he came and told us. But he had crossed some lines and he was right at that age of curiosity of, you know, right at 14 years old where your hormones start kicking in," he said.

Oh dear lord.... The vast majority of people in this world manage to not molest people when their hormones start kicking in. It wasn't his hormones, you raised a disgusting human JB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter