Live from the 11/23 Magic... NOTE this is NOT KenP, it is DisneyDarwin :)

Hello DisneyDarwin - glad everything is up to par - did you get my note tied to the basket? I gave you phone numbers that you could use to call us if there were any needs - we were there on time with the deliveries, but they were held up in housekeeping due to all the cleaning and inspections - about 200 extra people were brought aboard to help get the Magic ready for her trip - also the media were out in grooves - they did get to speak with some of the cruisers and quoted in today's newspaper - you can read all about it at www. floridatoday.com - Glad you got to see the shuttle - the night flight are so awesome aren't they - Anyhow stay safe and have a wonderful time.
Always
Shirley

This is the real KenP. Sorry I forgot to logoff. It is a cumbersome procedure I am was real time limited on the ship. I posted a followup to my original thread on the original thread

KenP
Hey DisneyDarwin: be sure to wash your hands after typing on "my" keyboard :-)

I know that you are on vacation, and I HATE to ask this, but if you happen to be in the gift shop, is there any way that I can beg you for a bit of information? Please don't go out of your way or anything, but if you happen to be going to the gift shop, I'd be ever so grateful!

I vaguely recall seeing little Mickey and Minnie Beanies in the sailor outfits. I am curious if they really do exist and how much they are. Someone sailing in December volunteered to pick them up for us if they exist, but I'd love to be able to send them the money before the cruise and would like an idea of how much to send.

If you don't get this until you get back from your trip, No biggie at all! I hope you had a great vacation! :)

Kathy

To Squiggle -- no there was no hospital smell on board. There are a lot of people running around with sprayers cleaning up tables, etc. Also, there is a difference at the buffets. We are handed our trays, plates, napkins & silverware. They also serve all food to us instead of it being self service.

Nothing seems amise. They seem like they have a full boat load of people, too. No sickness rumors on this cruise that we have heard of yet.

Thanks for the update, DisneyDarwin, and hope you're having a magical cruise! :)

DisneyDarwin...great news!!! Glad to hear all is well and everyone having a great time....keep the ship warm for us...we are on there next week....actually 5 days to go....hope all has a Happy Thanksgiving!
Tom:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc YIPPEE!!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Well, I just shut down the dueling piano bar and thought I'd drop a note. Shmoogirl, I'll look at the beanies tomorrow, it's a sea day and I should have plenty of time, right after my massage!!! Shirley - yes, I got your note, and thanks. The basket was well received by DD and our cabin steward, Carl, did a nice job of bringing it in while we were out so it would still be somewhat of a surprise.

So far, no signs of sickness. Lots of crewmembers cleaning the public areas constantly, wearing surgeon's gloves, but nothing more than that. Just about anyone on the staff can tell you a tale of mighty cleaning that went down before we boarded, but all the passengers and crew just smile and accept it as necessary. The bingo guy was talking about how they cleaned the bingo machine, board, balls, etc.

Movies today were Santa Clause 2, Spy Kids 2, Lilo and Stitch, Tuck, and Signs.

There wasn't a cloud in the sky at KW today, and my family and I took a trolly tour, then went kayaking in the mangroves for a few hours. Saw a couple of nurse sharks! My DD desperately wants to ride around on a scooter, so we'll take care of that later at Cozumel.

Not that I'm a party animal, but I am somewhat of a night owl, and I am surprised once again that the Magic is dead and it's only 12:30pm. I recall on the Wonder when things were hopping until almost 2pm. Maybe that's a difference in 4 vs 7 days, trying to milk every second out of the night. Right now we are really cruising (hauling butt, actually) through the water, what a fine ship. I'm gonna go chill on the verandah and read my book until my eyes droop, so I'll talk to y'all tomorrow. Ask questions, if you got 'em.

By the way, y'all are right, it's pretty darned hard to find a logout button --- but it does seem to clear all the cookies.

DisneyDarwin - well i finally found someone who did the "mangrove Kayaking" - I am from Key West and wanted to know what was going on about kayaking - I thought it had to be a gimick since I could not imagine all that they were advertising about such a tour in or around Key West - make sure if you get the chance to write me at snelsonbrown@aol.com when you have time and after you get back home and tell me about it - I have posted a number of times that anyone that is going to KW should send for all the information I have on Key West - it doesn't cost anything but the postage - anyhow glad everything is spruce up and enjoy your Happy Turkey week - by the way - the local paper said that the buffetts were out for the time being.
Take care and ENJOY.
Always
Shirley

Please - me too - need info about the kayaking. We lived in Key West in the early 1960's, and I can't for the life of me figure out where this would be done. Were you bussed to another Key? How did you enjoy it? Would this tour be of interest to children? Would really like to hear more of your experience. Thanks

Hey DisneyDarwin--tell that "bingo guy" (aka Robin!) that Sue Ellen from VA said "hello"!
I hope you are having a great trip. I miss it so much and can't wait to get back on board next October. Wish I could swing a trip before then!

Sue Ellen

Robin is a hoot!!! On 70s night while we were doing the Gloria Gainor lip synch contest (my DH was a judge) everyone kept calling out "BINGO" from the back of the bar just to get Robin's goat!! LOL

I'll be sailing the Wonder on Sunday and was just wondering how the weather was. I heard that Florida got a cold front and was just 'wonder'ing how that has affected the carribean air.

THANKS! :sunny:

Ok, DisneyDarwin what's going on with the ship? What adult activities do you have this week? What have been the highlights of the trip so far?

Howdy everyone. At the Castaway Club party today the captain announced that despite their best efforts, 25 people had the stomach flu symptoms from last week. Shortly thereafter we got a letter in our cabin confirming same. It also mentioned there were 2400 people aboard, so you can do the math.

I did notice a LOT more cleaning going on today than the past two days. Particularly the common restrooms and the bars. I think all the prior posts made me gunshy, so I'm staying away from the public restrooms as much as possible. However, my cabin is not always convenient. Additionally, I'm practicing a strict regimen of rum and tequila to combat any possible germs I may come in contact with. (I know bad joke, but I'm on board --- what am I gonna do, hide in my cabin?).

Shmoogirl, I asked two different clerks and they say they have no more Mickey and Minnie beanies and don't expect to get any. The closest thing they have is little stuffed dolls. Have you checked with Shirley?

Shirley, our day in KW was absolutely perfect. Since we've done the trolley tour and bar crawl before, we opted for something different -- kayaking. We went with Crystal Seas, largely because they would pick us up wherever we wanted and the testimonials on the internet looked good. We went some miles north of KW, 17 I think, to Sugarloaf Marina, you probably know where that is at. There we launched in nice 2 man sea kayaks and were thick in the mangroves in about 15 minutes. We stayed out about 3 hours. Lots of birds, a few sharks as I mentioned, fish and lots of very pretty scenery. Nice sunset too. I recommend Leo at Crystal Seas. He's young, but VERY polite and really knows his stuff. My DD9 went with us and really enjoyed herself. I recommend the trip, provided you know what you are getting yourself into. It's a nature trip, not an adventure trip. You have to paddle yourself, so if that's not your thing, do something else. Also, being on the water like that even for a short time, you'll come back with a layer of salt on your skin and will want a shower. But, it's really pretty, and I think mangrove forests aren't found in the states outside of FL (maybe GA?).

Weather. Canaveral was cool in the 60's. Unexpectedly, we had to dig out jackets, but we did have them packed. When we woke up in (near) KW it was warm again --- 80's I think. We kayaked in shorts and needed sunscreen for the completely cloudless day. Today was also quite warm, until around 2pm. It got very windy, a bit choppier, and cooler. We were in the pool at the time, which was fine, but when we got out the wind made it pretty cool. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

We've been sticking with the shows each night after dinner. Opening variety show, Morty, Hercules tonight. The juggler and comedian from the first night did Cabaret shows the last two nights which were better than their opening show. I've also spent lots of time watching the dueling pianos. We watched Big Fat Greek Wedding in an overflowing BV theater today. There's an adult party of some sort each night, we spent a little time in each, although so far they've been lightly attended. I had a massage today (nice), a workout, and spent time in the Rain Forest. My wife has been taking in the Adult Entertainment series --- watching one of the chefs make deserts, appetizers, etc. I think she took the backstage tour today. One or both of us have made every bingo session so far, too. Yes, I've met Robin now and actually know his name!

That's it for now. I think I'll try to get to bed before 12:30 tonight. Talk to you tomorrow with an update from GC!

Hi DisneyDarwin! Thanks for the very detailed update! :) I'm glad that only a few folks are sick on this cruise (not glad for THEM of course) and it sounds like you're having a great time. Keep up that rum and tequila regimen, I'm sure it will ward off any germs. ;)

Enjoy! :sunny:

Hi disneydarwin - just heard on the 6am news that the Magic had about 25 to 30 sick folks and ot was suspected the virus was still active - hard to believe after the crew did as much sanatizing as they did but then it is hard to say - keep us posted -
Thanks for the kayaking update - being from Key West, i could NOT imagine where anyone would go and see the stuff that was suppose to be especially now that a lot of mangroves around KW etc is to be removed for "growth". When I was growing up in KW during the 30th and 40ths and even the 50's, I would say the sight would have been awesome since the waters were as clear as daylight and full of marine life - we never went hungry simply because the sea was full of food - we had the delight of lobsters, stone and blue crabs, shrimps, green turtle steaks, fish of any types, conchs and then of course all the tropical fruits that have dwindled to make room for pools and other back yard stuff - I really appreciate the info - I know where you are speaking of in Sugarloaf Key -
Hope your trip is going great -
Always
Shirley

Hopefully whatever it is will stop at 25-30 sick. (I DO think that the rum & tequila is a very good preventative.)
Knowing the media; CNN will probably be there when you dock. Be sure to wear your Lime Green Ribbon in case you get interviewed - so we'll know it's you!
Here's hoping for an illness-free MAGICal cruise for you.

fran

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Hey your description of the kayaking trip sounds way too good! We kayaked in Kauai, Hawaii a few years ago and it was beautiful. I guess we know what to do for our shore excursion in KW next year. Thanks for sharing!

DisneyDarwin --- hope your family is feeling healthy on this trip! Looking forward to hearing any updates that you may have for us tonite.

I hope you are having a very MAGICal vacation!
:D

According to MSNBC.com it sounds like your trip is just TERRIBLE!;)

The ship was scrubbed down and disinfected last week after nearly 300 people got sick during a 7-day cruise. Passengers on the Magic contacted by NBC News via ship-to-shore radio Tuesday said it’s miserable.
“I started throwing up because I got really sick,” said one passenger. “And I have a sore throat and, like, a stomach ache... and every now and then I’ll get a headache… right before I go to bed. Yeah, it’s pretty bad.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter