• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Live from the 11/23 Magic... NOTE this is NOT KenP, it is DisneyDarwin :)

Hey disneydarwin...your trip reports are great! We're sailing on the Western Itinerary this summer and I like hearing highlights from the ports of call!:smooth:

yup the 11/30/02 , the one after yours has been canceled,
disney has opted not to sail ....
thing may not be going to well on the ship ???

peter

Although it isn't a surprise, according to cnn.com there are now more people that have become ill on the ship.

The Magic, which sailed into port Saturday, was quickly disinfected before being sent out on another weeklong Caribbean cruise on which 104 passengers and 19 crew members have so far reported flu-like symptoms.

We got 2 letters under our door upon returning from our Day at Cozumel. One said there were 95 sick out of 3500 passengers and crew. The other said, as you all know by now, that the 11/30 cruise has been cancelled. The servers were told this evening and will be staying on board to help clean the ship from end to end -- literally. After we debark, they will take the Magic to a port other than Port Canaveral for "the cleaning". The staff is pretty bummed, since there livelihood depends on gratuities. So far, they have no word on "other" compensation for next week. As I understand it, they have been asked to pack their quarters as if they were moving out, and return them to their original state. They'll be scrubbed with the rest of the ship, then they can move back in.

I did speak to a few passengers today who had sick relatives. One husband was sick for 2 nights. DCL asked him to stay in his room for 72 hours (but offered no compensation, yet).

Otherwise, things continue to chug along like a (mostly) normal cruise. Whoever asked --- I do think the nightclub scene is less attended than normal, for whatever reason.

OK, got to run to see Treasure Planet. I'll report more later.

Thanks DisneyDarwin....did they say what they are going to do with the Crew.....I mean if they have to clean out their cabins, do they put them up in a hotel or what...I feel so bad for everyone involved. Like you said the wait staff and room stewards really depend on those tips for their main income.

Hope DCL does right by them.

MJ

Thanks for the update, DisneyDarwin! Hope the rest of your cruise goes well. :)

Although I know DCL will take care of their crew, the lost tips revenue has got to hurt. As one of the 12/7 cruisers I plan to help make up for a little of that lost revenue on my cruise. :)

Hey all...now that I am on the 4 day wonder what is the tipping procedure for the 4 day with 2 people in the cabin...How much for each person.......actually I don't really know much about my new cruise....don't know what stateroom I am in....don't know when I am eating dinner...don't know what the shows are...don't have any idea what day we do what except the last day is Castaway Cay.....just was so involved with the Magic itinerary did not bother to check the other one out....any info would be helpful...and thanks Michelle for the birthday wish.....very thoughtful of yourself and all the had nice wishes!
Tom

Tom, you're going to LOVE the Wonder! It's actually my favorite ship of the two; although I love the longer cruises on the Magic. :)

Go check out Barb's site and Dave's site for the 4-night cruise Navigators, and that will give you all sorts of information about the shows and other activities.

I'm not sure if your cruise has the Freeport stop or the day at sea, but either way that's a great day to enjoy the ship. :)

SPOKE WITH DCL REGUARDING OUR 12/7 CRUISE. THEY STATED THAT PRESENT CREW IS GOING ON EARLY VACATION. A NEW CREW WILL TRANSFER IN . SEEMS LIKE THEY ARE ATTTACKING THIS VIRUS AT ALL ENDS.

Although that sounds like a great idea ... I just don't know if that is even possible. How can they get a whole new crew of 975+? The current crew members on vacation would need to come back like the Captains, Cruise Directors, Actors, and all. Since the waiters and all work 6 months or so and have two months off, there wouldn't be enough of them to bring back early. Just don't think it is possible.

I also don't think it's possible to bring in an entirely new crew of 1,000+ or so in one week. :)

I do know that the current crew will be off the ship for the week and that will help in their efforts, along with the major disinfection, to break the cycle of the virus. :)

I personally know of a few of the crew that just came back from vacation on this cruise.....I doubt they would send them back home. Maybe crew that was due for vacation in the near future are being asked to take it early.

I also doubt they could replace the whole crew in one week.

MJ

Can anyone speculate at what Port they might take the Magic to for the cleaning??? Would love to know!!!!

MJ

Just a thought....maybe they will send the crew for a vacation at Disney World...that way if they are spreading the virus they can infect us at WDW.....seriously it has to be a bummer for them....they work very hard and basically for tips....so this has to be difficult for all concerned.....I wonder if Disney could ever put a dollar figure on how much they will lose on this cancellation and compensation.....that is a question for the number crunchers.....what do you think?
Tom

I thought I would answer the one question that I know about and that is where the Disney Magic will be taken for cleaning - it will not leave the port --it will just be moved away from where all the other cruise ships are - It will be between where Grills is and the port - as soon as I find out further will let you know.
Hope everyone had an awesome Thanksgiving --Michelle are you coming by the shop? If you do - will give you all the updates, pamplets and coupons to use in Key West - we are only 1 and a quarter mile South of the Radisson on the Beach side at Beach Plaza.
Hugsssssss from cooling down Florida :(
Always
Shirley;)

I might be able to answer some questions, since I have been scheduled on the Wonder all along.

This sailing has a stop in Freeport, so no day at sea. There is a semi-formal night on the Wonder, but no formal night. The Wonder, I believe, is the newer of the two ships and from what I recall, is Barb and Tony's favorite (as well as Michelle's), so I am expecting it to be very nice. Ladies night is offered in the Wonder's spa, but I don't think the Magic.

When is this? We didn't have one on the Wonder in October. Is this something new?

Dear DisneyDarwin,
How was Thanksgiving dinner?

I am so glad you are having such a MAGICAL time.

I am so sad that they weren't able to break the virus cycle without cancelling the next cruise.

I am not surpised that the media is making it seem like the end of DCL... what's the quote that was advice from a polititian? something like this:If you are going to mess up, pray that it isn't on a slow news day.

I am really envious of you; I have always wanted to see a shuttle launch.

Stay well and keep the reports coming!!!!!!!
:bounce:

Oh NO!:confused: No DisneyDarwin report last night? What does this mean? Too much turkey and semi formal fun:D , or has poor DisneyDarwin caught the bug too:(

Where are you, DisneyDarwin? You have been here every morning when I woke up!:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter