• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Live from the 11/23 Magic... NOTE this is NOT KenP, it is DisneyDarwin :)

DisneyDarwin - have you overheard any talk about cancelling or not cancelling this Sat's cruise?

DisneyDarwin - Thanks so much for your live reports from the ship. I hope you stay well!

We are all concerned for the guests, of course, and hope the numbers of sick don't escalate. But I am also concerned for the Cast Members, crew and officers. How is the Captain holding up (still Captain Tom?). It must be tough being in command with the stress of the virus hitting guests and crew. And what about the Cruise Director? That's such an endless job and they are expected to be "up" all the time. I know they must all be worried - for the guests and the potential of getting the virus themselves if they haven't already. Hopefully the virus will be eradicated soon.

Taswira, the captian last week was John, I think. I don't know if it's the same captain this week, though.

Thanks, Lisa. I'm sure it is still John. Captain Tom was only on the Magic while John was on his "break."

I am one of the November 30th cruisers. We are having a difficult time deciding what to do about our cruise. Disney offered us the same that you were offered (we can cancel). I am not even considering canceling based on the stomach issues (I am going with the odds!). But, I am worried that we will only be thinking about the virus the entire time. I am not a worrier, but I know that I would be thinking about washing my hands 20 times a day, I would worry about my kids in the club and I would be concerned about them swimming in the pools. Is this going to wreck our vacation? Are you managing to just enjoy yourself and not dwell on the possibilities of getting sick? As I mentioned I am pretty easy-going, but this is even starting to get to me.... HELP!

We had Captain Tom 3 weeks ago for the Magic Halloween Cruise.

Sue Ellen

Nedley, I know I'm not on the ship this week, but I was last week and I can tell youthat even after hearing about it, it did not ruin our fantastic time! In my opinion, it's sorta like a MUCH smaller scale than 9/11 (I live in NJ so we were all affected pretyt bad around here) where a lot of people let it control their lives and stopped traveling or doing things they normally did. I know it's not exactly the best comparison but it's the best I can think of now... I personally feel that we can neve let what-ifs ruin our good times!

Howdy, everyone. Hey, you know what? The 7 day cruise is way better than the 4 day. I've been on the ship for 4 days and still have 3 more to go!!!!

A few answers. Captain John is at the helm --- he really looks like a captain ought to look doesn't he? Jacqui is the cruise director, and Theresa is the assistant cruise director. The only complaint I have heard was from Captain John; he was sad that he could not shake hands with his guests --- you gotta like that. I've only heard of one crew member being ill this time.

I don't have a new sick count today. Perhaps you guys have heard more out there. We spent the day ashore at GC. As we were returning, we did see a lady being taken off on a stretcher with her family, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the outbreak, or if it was unrelated. Regardless, we prayed for her.

I wouldn't think twice about getting on the ship. They are constantly cleaning and the sick count seems to be far more contained than last week (although, we'll have to see what it looks like by the end of the week). Still, if it weren't for me logging on to the boards and providing an update, I probably wouldn't think twice about it. Our biggest precaution is that we simply do not eat ANYTHING, without washing up first.

My DD checked herself into the kids program tonight, and their first activity was a handwashing contest with prizes. They divided into teams and made a race out of it. Pretty funny and shrewd at the same time.

I noticed they were scrubbing Preludes with Clorox last night as we left. I went to the late night desert buffet last night, and there was literally a swarm of waitstaff there to serve you, so that you would not handle a utensil or get too near the food --- other than your own. Other than little things like that, it's just business as usual aboard. I don't notice anyone worrying or changing their routine at all. Pizza, chicken, ice cream, sodas, beer, booze and so forth still flow like Niagra from deck 9!

As for today's events...no one told me tendering sucks! Getting ashore was no big deal, but we had a full day and caught the last tender back at 4:30pm and it was packed! Several hundred passengers. Slow getting on, slower still getting off because you had to card in.

As for the weather, it was downright hot this AM. We had a DCL excursion on the Atlantis sub at 10am. Right as we were about to board the boat shuttle to the sub, they called and said there was a problem and cancelled it! So, we adapted. We bought later tickets for the Sea World Explorer, and went shopping. Got DD a great dress and a shirt for DW and I. When we got back, the sub was back on-line and we changed out our ticket and got to ride the sub after all. I'm sure a lot of DCL folk missed out, but those things happen. I think the Rum-something excursion was cancelled this AM too, but I did not hear a reason.

After the sub, we had just enough time to get to our Captain Marvin's excursion. We three and two others from the Magic -- that's it! What a nice trip. Snorkeled at Coral Gardens and then went to Stingray City. Wow. You just can't believe all the stingrays until you are in the water with them. By the way, I can testify that they DO bite --- sort of. I was feeding one and he got some skin on my hand with the food. It looks like a small strawberry. Anyway, we returned to the dock just in time to wait with a few hundred friends, bought a six pack of diet coke, and eventually made it back aboard.

I was on the panel for Mouseketeer tonight. I'm gonna find out firsthand what one of those pins will get on Ebay! (I'm not a collector). DD went to the club, and DW and I dined for our first time in Palos. Very nice. The chocolate souffle is a diabetic coma waiting to happen. Very yummy. A new comedian/magician came aboard and did a wonderful kids show, and a baudy adult show too. He'll be on again later in the week. I'm going to the piano bar as soon as I'm done here, to renew my antiseptic routine.

For those about to board --- no worries mate, forget about it, not a problem, have no fear, etc. Talk to ya'll tomorrow.

Thanks Disney Darwin....can I ask you how the night club crowd its. Are people staying away from the theme nights like 50's in Rockin Bar D???...just wondering if people are concerned about being in a smaller room with a bunch of people.

We have some of our best times in the clubs at night for the theme nights and the more people the more fun it is. I guess it could be a little blah if not too many show up.

MJ

Glad to hear yo're having a blast!!! We did the Atlantis Sub last week at St. Thomas and loved it, I'm sorry it was cancelled for you. You should have seen my DH's face when he tried the chocolate souflee... I wish I had a camera then! It is by far the yummiest dessert I've ever had!

I hope you continue to have a MAGICal cruise and that no one else gets sick. I wonder why that person was on a stretcher....

DisneyDarwin, thanks so much for the update, sounds like you're having a GREAT cruise! :sunny:

I had to laugh at the HAND WASHING contest in the kids club, that is Disney ingenuity at its best! ;)

I do believe that those NOT on the cruise are much more obsessed with what is going on than those actually ON the cruise and having fun.

Hope you enjoy Cozumel tomorrow! :)

Oh an LISA, almost every cruise I have been on has had some sort of medical emergency or another, we have been diverted countless times to take passengers off the ship. I would be willing to bet it had nothing to do with the virus.

Disneydarwin- even though our MAGICal cruise is still a long way off. I do appreciate your updates. There is not too much that can get me on the computer at 6am; but thinking about "our" ship and friends aboard does it. Of course then I have first hand information when friends/co-workers hear the media coming out with something stupid!
Do try to stop at Carlos & Charlie's - for purely medicinal reasons, of course!
fran
:)

To Disney Darwin: Now THAT'S a trip report!!!! Love your attitude - that's probably why you aren't sick, Ha Ha!! Sounds like you crammed a lot into one day. Would you suggest the Captain Marvin Excursion for in the PM or AM?

Thanks for posting DisneyDarwin,

I hope everyone sailing this week reads your post so they too will relax and enjoy their cruise. Have a wonderful a trip and I am very excited to hear that Tresaure Planet will be showing on my cruise this Sunday!

PS
Disney also asked all WDW CM's to volunteer to help come clean the ship and they paid them a pretty good penny too...full pay even during travel times to and from the ship! Plus, they feed them breakfast and lunch on the ship. I haven't heard of any of them getting sick either.
So have a great time ya'll!

See ya'll on the Wonder Sunday!
Mmketeer

Thanks to Disney Darwin and the rest for posting so much info. on these Boards. I have booked my DW and DS (6) and myself onto the 1/11/03 Eastern Magic as a SURPRISE for DW's birthday and seeing the news last week gave me much grief. I am feeling much better after reading these threads. As DW can be a germ-freak at times, I didn't want the surprise aspect of the cruise ruined by her reaction reflecting the media's account of the situation.

About the surprise, DW's actual birthday in 12/23, and I will tell her on that date, which will give her two and one-half weeks to shop, plan, pack, anticipate and get excited. I am preparing a book for her to unwrap including the cruise documents, and several downloaded documents from these boards, such as emnus, etc. No way I could have done the packing for her routine and not tell her anything until we got in the car to drive to Port Canaveral. She is way too picky and fussy and finicky about packing, although one of her girlfriends offered to try packing for her. Her boss is in on the surprise, and DS's 1st grade teacher will also be told in advance for when I pull him out of school for a week (hey, its first grade, what's he going to miss?). We did the 4 day Wonder back in May with extended family, loved it, and talked about the 7 day Eastern "some day"...:earsboy:

Logan - you are one FIRST CLASS DH!!! Would you consider training my husband??????

Logan...maybe you could just tell her y'all are going to WDW and for her birthday a night out at an expensive restaurant..thus the
formal clothes????

In October...after months of talking about it and planning a trip to Biloxi, MS to gamble...my DH, his business partner and his wife...
surprised dd and myself with a trip to Las Vegas!!!! We had stopped to spend the night in JAX and they gave me a book..something like what you are planning to give your DW...with all this stuff about LV in it. I still didn't catch on...they finally had to tell me WE'RE GOING TO LV...NOT BILOXI....I said
ARE Y'ALL OUT OF YOUR MINDS...lol

I'm a compulsive planner and packer...so to this day cannot believe they pulled it off. But we managed with what we had and what we had too much of. Like I had packed for 11 hours in the car with DD...way too much stuff...but hey...I didn't know...

Anyway...it can be done...so good luck in keeping your surprise.

Phyllis

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter