Local Foods?

JoJos

truck-stop-jo-jo-potatoes.jpg

Mambo sauce.

ETA: Whoops, I missed the part about it needing to be an odd food. There’s nothing odd about mambo sauce, except for maybe the ambiguous spelling.

can’t think of any off the top of my head..maybe honey dill sauce? Does anyone even know what it is?

I think that most Texas foods are now available elsewhere. We do however have a large Czech area and their kolaches are to die for. I haven't seen these anywhere else yet.

Philadelphia Pepper Pot Soup, which is a hearty stew featuring beef tripe. My great-aunt Gloria used to make it on New Year's Day. I loaaaathe tripe, so I used to just eat around it because the stew itself was actually yummy.

Snapper (turtle) soup was also a thing in the Philly area. You're supposed to pour a little sherry wine over it before eating.

Spotted dick is British. I *think* it’s like a wet cake.

Spotted Dick/Wet Cake... Same/same? Both sound pretty darn terrible.

It looks somewhat like a cake but It's far more dense than a what we would call a cake here in the states. I think they refer to it as a sponge pudding. It's made from suet pastry dough and dried currants or raisins. It's nasty.

Snapper (turtle) soup was also a thing in the Philly area. You're supposed to pour a little sherry wine over it before eating.

I love turtle soup. This sounds like heaven.

Around here, something kinda unusual and I believe to be unique to Appalachia/the south is red eye gravy and chocolate gravy. Red eye gravy is one of life’s simple pleasures. I really need to regain some weight so I may just start making batches and drinking it like a shake.

It looks somewhat like a cake but It's far more dense than a what we would call a cake here in the states. I think they refer to it as a sponge pudding. It's made from suet pastry dough and dried currants or raisins. It's nasty.

I think it’s like the worst version of tres leche. The cake is wet without any of the good parts of tres leche. Yuck.

We stay at a lodge at a state park in Indiana for a few nights around Christmas every year. They have cornmeal pie that I always look forward to.

We stay at a lodge at a state park in Indiana for a few nights around Christmas every year. They have cornmeal pie that I always look forward to.

Omg! I used to spend a decent amount of time of in Indiana, I loved that pie. So much of the food was bland the deserts made up for it:) what state park? We might take the kids to a lodge for a quick trip.

Omg! I used to spend a decent amount of time of in Indiana, I loved that pie. So much of the food was bland the deserts made up for it:) what state park? We might take the kids to a lodge for a quick trip.

We do Spring Mill State Park in southern Indiana.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter