• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are also changing the breakfast from Pinocchios to Cosmic Rays. Is Cosmic Rays larger by any chance?

We have done this twice now the first was 2 years ago and the second was last month and it already felt busier than it did that first time.

Considering most people want to do this for SDMT if there is an increase in capacity it just means there will be a longer queue for that ride, making the event less appealing.
Cosmic Rays is the largest quick service at MK.

They are also changing the breakfast from Pinocchios to Cosmic Rays. Is Cosmic Rays larger by any chance?

We have done this twice now the first was 2 years ago and the second was last month and it already felt busier than it did that first time.

Considering most people want to do this for SDMT if there is an increase in capacity it just means there will be a longer queue for that ride, making the event less appealing.
I don't know... We've done this many times from right after it opened to just last month, and I don't think it has been more crowded on average.

While I'm sure they'll admit more, the additional rides and M&G will spread people out SOME... particularly those with younger kids. I'd guess that the average 7DMT wait might go up some, but unless they really pack it too much, I'm not going to be too worried about it. I'd still book it, and it'll be interesting to hear early reviews.

Re: the breakfast, as long as the FOOD is the same (seems to be), I don't personally care where it's served. :) Cosmic Ray's is bigger, and I haven't been there in ages -- it'd be fun. :) But no overlooking a now-operating IASW, which is a bit of a bummer.

From the Walt Disney World website:

"
Early Morning Magic
Through November 27, 2018, delight in a trio of Fantasyland attractions with this limited-entry, early access opportunity!

The Fun
Rise with the sun for some early-morning fun with these 3 iconic Fantasyland attractions:

Peter Pan has always been open for this event. I would be surprised if they actually removed it.

My bad...I was confusing it with something else I read recently.

News

More attractions added to Early Morning Magic at the Magic Kingdom

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-morning-magic/?CMP=SOC-DPFY18Q4wo0920180028A
Wow .. Not bad for a $10 increase, but the move of the breakfast to Cosmic Rays seems sorta far away from the rest of the attractions.

Some comments:
- They probably are going to increase capacity (not a bad thing considering the more than doubled the # attractions) (which seems the case with the move of breakfast)
- It actually feels like it would be hard to ride all these attractions in 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Why not just open the carousel too? Right smack dab in the middle of it all?
- How soon do we see an Epcot and AK EMM?
- I'm okay with this as long as this is the way they monetize fast passes and don't overbook it. $70 for 6 Fast Passes (and a breakfast) is fine. You can get Fantasyland out of the way in the first hour or two in the morning and have the rest of the day for the rest of the park.

and mostly..

This is probably the next step in the "slow trickle" of just eliminating morning EMH. Why would Disney open a whole park for free when they can just open a land and get people to pay $70 for the privilege?

Last edited:
It drives a lot of money into the resorts for people to stay on cash. EMH and FP+ 60 are the biggest selling points for staying on site. Take those away and what's the incentive?
Proximity, though some others are quite close. But I agree -- I think EMH and 60-day FP window are critical to the draw.

(as an aside... why is the "DVC Gold" banner silver...? :scratchin)

It drives a lot of money into the resorts for people to stay on cash. EMH and FP+ 60 are the biggest selling points for staying on site. Take those away and what's the incentive?
Free parking? Oh wait...

True -- but maybe they've discovered that EMH really isn't as big a selling point as FP+ (especially if on-site guests are paying for the Early Morning Magic anyway). I am sure it ranks low on "reasons to stay onsite" after 60 day FPs, transportation, proximity to parks, getting a dining plan and just being in a Disney-themed hotel.

I know I don't make my choice of staying onsite based on EMH. And with the availability less and less, I could care less if I use it (as most of my trips are short) .. I just use it if there happens to be an EMH day on the day I planned to go to a certain park (which is rarer and rarer to find now). On my trip in November .. I would have to align my park days perfectly to use EMH .. which I couldn't do - since the schedules weren't available - when I planned my ADRs 120 days ago.

EDIT:
just looking at my 11/13 MK day. There is BOTH an EMM and Christmas Party that day. That's crazy. MK is only open to the general public for 9 hours, but open 7 hours for "paid events".
I could just see this as a daily occurrence in the future -- the parks are just open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, but there are paid events to enter the park early or stay late.

I mean why not? We already are paying for it today! Why wouldn't a business take advantage of that demand?

Last edited:
I know I don't make my choice of staying onsite based on EMH. And with the availability less and less, I could care less if I use it (as most of my trips are short) .. I just use it if there happens to be an EMH day on the day I planned to go to a certain park (which is rarer and rarer to find now). On my trip in November .. I would have to align my park days perfectly to use EMH .. which I couldn't do - since the schedules weren't available - when I planned my ADRs 120 days ago.
I usually plan my days specifically around EMH. If there is one at a park, I avoid it like the plague. But a lot of people do take advantage of it and see it as an opportunity to get in on shorter lines; not a big selling point for me either (it messes up my rope drop plans). But for once-in-a-lifetimers, that extra hour for what will likely be a full day anyway is a bonus. Disney clearly markets it as a selling point for being onsite.

Just have to say, I love this restaurant so much! I always think I want to try other signature dining (and have tried a couple), but the location, the atmosphere, and food here are so fabulous, why roll the dice? (Unless, of course, it’s V&A!)
I love it too. My favorite dish was the strip loin and purple potatoes. I’m sad to see that go. I would definitely get the new steak dish but I’m not a fan of brussels.

For me, I would rank the perks that make me want to stay on-site as follows:

1. Disney Transportation / Convenience
  2. Magical Express
  3. 180+10 for ADRs
  4. 60-day FP+ window
  5. RAC
  6. Being inside the "bubble"
  7. DDP
  8. EMH
So, EMH is not really an incentive for me. I generally employ the strategy of avoiding the EMH park anyway, and then go to that park the day after they have EMH.

I usually plan my days specifically around EMH. If there is one at a park, I avoid it like the plague. But a lot of people do take advantage of it and see it as an opportunity to get in on shorter lines; not a big selling point for me either (it messes up my rope drop plans). But for once-in-a-lifetimers, that extra hour for what will likely be a full day anyway is a bonus. Disney clearly markets it as a selling point for being onsite.
Right .. but let's say EMH just went away in 2019? How many people would that change cause to just start staying offsite now (if that perk wasn't replaced by something else)? It wouldn't affect you .. it wouldn't affect me. They probably are weighing that out .. and its my opinion that most people would just swallow it like they did the parking fees and still stay onsite since EMH was just a "nice to have".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter