• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No gaiters only a mask with loops or ties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, still a debate about whether the virus travels via airborne route. If so, the masks or gaiters are equally ineffective (even surgical masks do not prevent airborne transmission). If it is droplet transmitted, then anything that stops spittle or sneezes will do.
Which is why I expect their logic in requiring ear loops is more to do with the ease of gaitors slipping down while on a ride (or because guests may try to get away with more pulling it down with a gaitor that can be quickly pulled up if they are caught and passed off as an accident) than the material.

I will order gaiters for my kids, but not unless someone can confirm that they are ok. Otherwise, they'll be wearing the masks I have for them.

Last edited:

I do not understand how a well-fit gaiter is different than something that ties behind the head, other than it covers my neck.
Right a gaiter has more coverage than a mask. All you have to do is get 1/8 inch super soft elastic cord (google it, You can get some for .99) and hand sew an 8 inch piece to each side of the gaiter to create an ear loop. Very easy to do.

Right a gaiter has more coverage than a mask. All you have to do is get super soft elastic cord(google it, You can get some for .99) and hand sew an 8 inch piece to the gaiter to create an ear loop. Very easy to do.

did that for my little one...well see if it works

I wonder if ear savers will be prohibited. Technically they will not pass the requirements unless the loops go over your ear which most don't with the ear saver.
I think there may be the possibility that they become dislodged on a ride and could become a projectile?

That is not 100% true while most disposable masks people are buying are not surgical they do make Surgical masks in both ear loop and ties. I am wearing a level 3 surgical mask right now that has ear loops.
Yes, but level 3 are 4 ply, not 3 ply like the blue disposable masks you buy on Amazon. The ones they use at the hospital surgical unit here are tied masks. I did not want people thinking the ones they buy online are “surgical” masks.

That's why you I added ear loops to my gaiter. I ripped off the ear loops of one of my old work masks and sewed them into the inside of the gaiter.

JOLT said:
I wonder if ear savers will be prohibited. Technically they will not pass the requirements unless the loops go over your ear which most don't with the ear saver.

I think there may be the possibility that they become dislodged on a ride and could become a projectile?
sigh. I hope ear-savers are allowed. I make mine with an elastic band and it actuallys holds the mask tighter to my face than the ear loops do. I put the ear saver through the hair rubberband that holds my ponytail, so it's all very securely in place. If not, the "ties" I make with strips of soft cotton tee shirt material work well and are comfy too. I had hoped to switch off between the two so as not to wear the same mask 2 days in a row. Kinda the same principle of packing different types of footwear for a long WDW trip.

My favorite gaiter is one that has elastic in the top section, and a pull tie in the back. It never slips because you can tighten it. From the front you can't tell it has a tie, but you can kind of tell from the side. For gaiter lovers, I think it's fairly easy to still meet the reqs with something like this or those with the ear holes (which can be cut yourself).

I bought some gaiters for our upcoming UO trip and my fiance is a personal trainer and wears them to train in (she tried regular cotton masks and the disposable "surgical" ones and the gaiter won out big time). If you get good ones, not only do they fit great (and stay up perfectly well) but they are sweat wicking, UV protecting, and super easy bc they don't pull on your ears all day and you don't have to take them off and on, just slip them up or down. Admittedly, I ordered a few different ones from amazon to find good ones that would stay up all day, but now that I have them I think they are really the perfect thing for spending all day at theme park in the heat.

It's a shame Disney doesn't allow them but that's their prerogative. We do have a one nighter resort only stay at Disney and will just wear our regular cotton masks. Still though, I'm 100% pro gaiter for heat + convenience.

If your gaiter is falling down you either didn't get the right kind or you are wearing it wrong. To ensure a secure fit you need to have it cover your ears and over half the back of your head, it is not designed to wear around your neck and then only pull up the front to cover your mouth and nose, it won't stay in place that way. But I've also seen many "homemade" masks that also appear to hardly be secure either, regardless of the ear loops or ties used. At least the stretchy material for gaiters provides a more secure fit if the end goal is to "protect others."

I find it extremely disappointing that WDW is picking and choosing which face covering is allowed, when the gaiters are fine with the CDC. Seems like a short-sighted decision IMHO.

They are strictly enforcing the face covering. I was at MK yesterday and ended up quite sick from the heat while waiting at The Plaza for our table. I was bending over with my head between my legs trying not to be sick (at this point I was sitting in a chair) when the paramedics came. The first thing the EMT said to me was that I had to reattach my face mask (It was hanging from 1 of my ears). My BP dropped like a rock and my arms were numb and in pain. But my face mask was on...😷

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter