*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

QUOTE="JJ2017, post: 61531651, member: 608881"]
Same with World of Color?
[/QUOTE
See posts #773 & #774 just above yours.

Can I grab a Fastpass for World of Color if I've only scanned into Disneyland? Likewise, can I grab a Fastpass for Fantasmic if I've only scanned into California Adventure? Or do I need to physically enter both parks to grab Fastpasses for both shows?
You can be scanned in at any park to get them. Doesn't matter the side. That's the benefit of maxpass :) You can pull fastpasses at the other park without physically going over there.

So I've read that to save time when trying to get a BG for RotR, that we should unlink members of our group that are not going to be with us at DL in the morning. But they will be joining us later in the day for the other rides, and I want to get Max Passes for our entire group. I'm worried that if I unlink them, I will have problems relinking them.

I would appreciate any and all info to help me get thru this. Thanks so much!

So I've read that to save time when trying to get a BG for RotR, that we should unlink members of our group that are not going to be with us at DL in the morning. But they will be joining us later in the day for the other rides, and I want to get Max Passes for our entire group. I'm worried that if I unlink them, I will have problems relinking them.

I would appreciate any and all info to help me get thru this. Thanks so much!
You just re-scan their tickets/passes.

I unlinked my husband from my account when just my daughter and I tried for a BG. Then I rescanned him next time we went with him. It’ll immediately add them to your account.

Apologies if this has been covered already.
Is there an issue with a party of two using different accounts, but having each other tickets scanned in.
Or is it better to just use one account?

Apologies if this has been covered already.
Is there an issue with a party of two using different accounts, but having each other tickets scanned in.
Or is it better to just use one account?
It doesn’t matter.

My husband and I have two accounts with all three family members scanned into both of them. Other families I know just use one account and have everyone log into that one.

Hey all.

We went last March and loved maxpass. The only complaint was everyday there was a period of time usually in the mid afternoon that no fastpasses were available. Then a bit later bam, fastpasses available.

I now know there was a known glitch with android phones.

Question is, has this been fixed or can we expect the same this March when we visit?

Thx.

My husband and I just went on our first trip to Disneyland last week. Overall we had a great time, but there were some little things about MaxPass in particular that I was not a fan of. I know it's a different system than Disney World, and overall we took as much advantage as possible, but it was definitely a different experience than using FastPass+ in Disney World.

I think my biggest issue with it is the limited ability (if at all) to get last minute FPs for the popular rides. The system does not allow you to refresh and see multiple return times available for rides. You're only provided with one. Yes I toggled to refresh here and there, and once in a while a different time would pop up. But for the most part, it would present one time, and as more FPs were distributed, the return times got later and later.

On one occasion though, I was trying to refresh for a Space Mountain FP, just to see if something would pop up. It was about 7:20, and all of a sudden one for 7:30-8:30 popped up. I immediately clicked it, and then it said that time was unavailable. With MDE at Disney World, when a time pops up on your screen, it's usually yours for the taking. So it was very frustrating to have a time pop up and then it is instantly not be available. I went back and forth a few times, and then the 7:30-8:30 showed up again. But once again after I clicked it, it said that time was no longer available.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm so used to refreshing on MDE to get last minute FPs, so not really having the ability to do that in Disneyland was kind of frustrating.

I also wish there were more overall options for FPs. Having some for the Fantasyland rides would be nice, but seeing how tight space is in there, I'm guessing it would be pretty impossible. Remembering the time I could make my next FP was kinda confusing at times too lol.

Last edited:
Yes, I would love it if they had FP for Peter Pan, Alice, and Storybook Land Canal Boats. Unfortunately even with Maxpass you really need to do a rope drop at DL to do everything with a reasonable wait.

Last winter/spring there were known issues with MP. Even acknowledged by townhall.

Several times a day the app would show no fastpasses available. Folks had trouble purchasing and then trouble linking .

oh, that probably explains why we had such a difficult time getting CMs to take our issue seriously when we there in September... I had no problems purchasing MP everyday in 2018 and no problems with availability then but this year we did experience occasionally the FP wouldn't load when our time was up so we just had to use our physical tickets rather than the app. Then one day first thing at park opening it was showing there was no availability for any passes in either parks and whenever we tried to get help we were told to just wait a while, force close and reopen the app, that this was a common temporary issue, even though we'd never had this problem before! It wasn't until a few hours of it not working that we were finally able to get someone to take it seriously. We found that if we just selected one person in a group fastpasses would show up for us and then later in the afternoon it just 'magically' started working. Then we had the same issue the next day... fortunately we were able to get some help after only a little over an hour that time. We finally managed to figure out on our own that this would happen when we split up and some of us scanned into one park while the rest of our group scanned into a different park so after that we just made sure to all scan into the same park before splitting up. Besides that we didn't have any issues with 5 androids using Maxpass, but considering the lack of concern the CMs had about it when we were freaking out (heh) seems like it must be not all that uncommon...???

The system does not allow you to refresh and see multiple return times available for rides. You're only provided with one. Yes I toggled to refresh here and there, and once in a while a different time would pop up. But for the most part, it would present one time, and as more FPs were distributed, the return times got later and later.

Correct. Because Maxpass runs concurrent to the "free" regular Fastpass distribution, the whole system distributes chronologically—"next available opening"—until they run out for the day. The system works very similar to the old "paper" FP system used by DL and WDW for decades, just with mobile app support.

Just like FP+, there are multiple strategies to optimize for getting the most out of it. But DL regulars have an advantage because this is a direct continuation their old FP system.

Last edited:
Some of what you experienced with an early time being available and then disappearing is that someone cancelled a FastPass they had booked, so it got thrown back into the pool of available passes. Those get snatched up quickly, so by the time you clicked it was already taken.

I haven't used the system at WDW but from what I gather from posts by WDW folks here, they really aren't even the same kind of system. At DLR you're not pre-booking anything, you're just grabbing line passes on a first-come, first-served basis until the supply runs out. They give them out in chronological order, so you don't really choose a time--it's just the earliest return time that is still available.

I realize that not everybody likes it, and certainly we're all inclined to like things we know and are used to, but I love the FP system. Once you get the hang of how to manage it, you can really take great advantage of it. We like to stack up fastpasses in California Adventure for the evening. We spend most of the day at DLP and then hop over and ride all the e-ticket rides at DCA with almost no waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter