School bus test run this morning... summer is almost over!

School goes back here August 14th. There was one large district in our area that still waited until the Tuesday after Labor Day, but they finally last year went with the other districts and switched to August. Makes sense because now finals are the week before Christmas break, not two weeks after coming back from the break. Teachers were having to spend the first two weeks of January trying to get the kids back to speed on what they had forgotten over Christmas break.

Other regional difference I guess. School buses. Those went away here 20 years ago with open enrollment. You can't build bus routes when none of the kids on a street got either to their assigned school, or even the same school. Special needs kids still get buses, but the Federal Government pays for that.

I like the app thing, I am going to see if our school system has one now(it's been a couple years since my DD went)

Nope, so I guess robo calls and Twitter and Facebook

Last edited:
I never knew school resumed in August or earlier until right after Elvis Presley died. I thought everyone was "normal" and started after Labor Day.

I remember hearing that schools in Memphis were closed for at least a day after Elvis died and I was thinking ***? That's crazy to start school BEFORE Labor Day!!!!!!

I never knew school resumed in August or earlier until right after Elvis Presley died. I thought everyone was "normal" and started after Labor Day.

I remember hearing that schools in Memphis were closed for at least a day after Elvis died and I was thinking ***? That's crazy to start school BEFORE Labor Day!!!!!!
Been that way here for at least 30 years. Like I said, it makes sense to have the entire first semester before the Christmas break.

I didn't realize it until I had friends move to Florida some time in the 70s.

For me, summer is July and August.

Been that way here for at least 30 years. Like I said, it makes sense to have the entire first semester before the Christmas break.

Perhaps, but we never had a problem with the first semester extending into mid or late January. I don't recall any teachers having to spend more than a day getting the students back up to speed after the break. For the most part, we just started right from where we left off. If you forgot what was taught before the break, that was on you.

Then again, we didn't have extended Christmas breaks. Usually only 6, 7, or 8 school days, depending on how the calendar fell. A full two week or more break was normally unheard of. Except once when I was in 7th grade. It was the winter of 1973-74 and we had a full two weeks off due to the "energy crisis." Actually, the break was sort of even longer. During the last week of school in December before the break, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were cancelled because of a lingering ice storm. We went back on Thursday and Friday. Then two full weeks off. Resumed on a Monday and then Thursday we had another day off because of snow.

Spring break was curtailed that year. We only got Thursday and Good Friday off.

Last edited:

Perhaps, but we never had a problem with the first semester extending into mid or late January. I don't recall any teachers having to spend more than a day or two getting the students back up to speed after the break.
Midterms here are the 2nd or 3rd week in January. I've never heard of any issues. They start reviewing for midterms after the break.

Perhaps, but we never had a problem with the first semester extending into mid or late January. I don't recall any teachers having to spend more than a day getting the students back up to speed after the break. For the most part, we just started right from where we left off. If you forgot what was taught before the break, that was on you.
I don't recall an issue either, but I'm 62 so that was a LONG time ago. But apparently....as evidenced.....it is not an uncommon schedule these days for schools. Not sure how parents feel, but everything here has to be approved schedule wise by the school district and the teachers union, so those two groups support it.

Teachers were having to spend the first two weeks of January trying to get the kids back to speed on what they had forgotten over Christmas break.
I would be more concerned that students were forgetting almost four months ,or learning in only two weeks.

School goes back here August 14th. There was one large district in our area that still waited until the Tuesday after Labor Day, but they finally last year went with the other districts and switched to August. Makes sense because now finals are the week before Christmas break, not two weeks after coming back from the break. Teachers were having to spend the first two weeks of January trying to get the kids back to speed on what they had forgotten over Christmas break.

Other regional difference I guess. School buses. Those went away here 20 years ago with open enrollment. You can't build bus routes when none of the kids on a street got either to their assigned school, or even the same school. Special needs kids still get buses, but the Federal Government pays for that.
We have quarters here, at least for elementary and middle school. All exams end before the quarter ends, so they start a new unit after winter break. They only get a week for winter and spring break, and a half day the day before Thanksgiving, plus Thanksgiving day and that Friday. The rest are holidays and professional development days.

My kids go back after Labor Day. They got out mid-June. I have not been to Target, but I'll bet school supplies are out, and Halloween decorations will be up before the end of summer.

Bath and Body Works already has their Fall stuff out. Damn Pumpkin Spice. Will that fad ever end?!

Yes, I hate pumpkin spice. I know many love it. Yay for you! Just don't push it down my throat one week after 4th of July. ::yes::

Bath and Body Works already has their Fall stuff out. Damn Pumpkin Spice. Will that fad ever end?!

Yes, I hate pumpkin spice. I know many love it. Yay for you! Just don't push it down my throat one week after 4th of July. ::yes::

Oh man, are you kidding? My kids haven't taken a school bus since 2011, and the last one graduated 4 years, so I've got no strong opinion on the buses and school start times but you really caught my attention w/ the Pumpkin Spice at B&BW already. But I have a opinion about this-:crazy2: I can't stand this, and I hate how they put it on EVERYTHING!

I live in Virginia and school doesn't start back until the day after Labor day.
I remember the “good old days” when school started after Labor Day. To this day, I still get a stomach ache on the evening of Labor Day even though I am a teacher who starts school on the last week of August.

5 more weeks to go. The fifth week consisting of doctors appointments, a dentist appointment, hair appointment, and a pedicure. Oh, and I don’t want to forget setting up my classroom.

We start back 2 weeks from today (8/5)!!!

We did Swim Team this year with practices 3 nights a week so the summer has just flown by.

Haven't done our school supply run yet because they haven't put out the supply list, plus we have a tax free weekend soon and there's usually plenty of supplies if you go shopping the first day.

My daughter starts back on July 31st, her Senior Year! They receive 2 weeks off in October, 2 weeks for Christmas and 2 weeks for Spring Break, ending the school year around Memorial Day. They run on semester schedule with 1st semester ending at Christmas. The summer is painfully short, and there have been some summer opportunities for educational camps she has not been able to participate in because of the short summers and going back so early, but other than that it has worked out well!

They go back August 28 here, so that will be close to Labor Day. We were in Walmart Saturday, and all of the summer stuff has been shoved to one side and school supplies are all over the place. I noticed that some 'winter' clothes were also starting to be put out. We just had 5 days of almost 100 degree weather, what's the rush?
Retail always is early though.

Costco has started getting their fall/winter gear out too.

But hey now's the good time to buy clothes for summer because they'll start being clearanced :)

Test runs sound smart, can't say that I know of them doing it around here though least I haven't actively noticed.

Summer has been here for nearly 2months now. Kids start back mid-August. School is scheduled to be out right around Memorial Day as a norm--excess snow days aside; with seniors getting out a week or so before the rest of the other grades.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter