School bus test run this morning... summer is almost over!

Daughter's school district is set to return on 8/27. She's actually attending the local community college for her junior and senior year. She is earning an AA degree concurrent with her diploma. Fall quarter classes start on 9/23 so almost a month after the neighborhood school.

That drives me nuts as well. It's still summer here!!
The school year here would only be six months long if the summer weather were the protocol for when school was out. 🔥 We usually get our first 100 degree day in May, and often get one or two in October.

My kids go back after Labor Day. They got out mid-June. I have not been to Target, but I'll bet school supplies are out, and Halloween decorations will be up before the end of summer.

I was in Target today and the school supply seasonal section is about 3/4 stocked. There were boxes in the aisles and workers were putting more stuff up. One family was there with their "back to school" list.

DD was in Big Lots today and said Halloween stuff was filling in some of the empty shelves of the summer section.

Disney should be starting their extra cost Halloween parties any day now, right? ;)

ACK! Our school system uses an app that allows us to know when school bus is near house, might be late, etc.
I got a notification this morning, and sure enough... the bus pulled up to the house right on time. They are obviously making test runs.

They don't start back until August 12, which is a week later than last year... but still almost a month earlier than we went back to school as kids.

I hope the kids are making the most of their "Free" time!

The fact that you have an app to track your kid's bus is amazing! Even though I'm a tech guy there's so many times people are utilizing apps and services I would never have thought of and I am continually amazed!

DD10 was out June 27 and goes back Sept 3. She gets 2 weeks at Christmas, and 2 weeks in March for spring break, 6 Pro D days and usually there is 1 stat holiday per month. I think she's in class for 181 days of instruction.

Reactions: NAB
Other regional difference I guess. School buses. Those went away here 20 years ago with open enrollment. You can't build bus routes when none of the kids on a street got either to their assigned school, or even the same school. Special needs kids still get buses, but the Federal Government pays for that.

Curious . . .how do the kids get to school without buses? Are the employers more forgiving there if parents are late to work? Being late because you are taking your kids to school wouldn’t have flown anywhere I have ever worked. Neither would leaving early for the same reason. I know there are some businesses that open later than 9:00, but most places I have worked I have had to be there before 8:00 and that would have been a problem.

Public schools here, by law, are not allowed to open earlier than two weeks before Labor Day. That happened because districts kept pushing it back until a few were starting mid July, and there were complaints. So at the very earliest they go back mid August, but if Labor Day is the 7th, they don’t go back until the last week of August. Personally, with September being the peak month of hurricane season, it would almost make more sense to go back the end of September and finish the end of June, but that would never happen.

Curious . . .how do the kids get to school without buses? Are the employers more forgiving there if parents are late to work? Being late because you are taking your kids to school wouldn’t have flown anywhere I have ever worked. Neither would leaving early for the same reason. I know there are some businesses that open later than 9:00, but most places I have worked I have had to be there before 8:00 and that would have been a problem.

Public schools here, by law, are not allowed to open earlier than two weeks before Labor Day. That happened because districts kept pushing it back until a few were starting mid July, and there were complaints. So at the very earliest they go back mid August, but if Labor Day is the 7th, they don’t go back until the last week of August. Personally, with September being the peak month of hurricane season, it would almost make more sense to go back the end of September and finish the end of June, but that would never happen.
I start work at 9 am, school starts at 8:38 am I drop her off before hand. My office is a 10-15 min walk from the school. We walk from the house to school. She's old enough now that when we get to the intersection before the school she crosses and I go straight. coming home she walks to my mother's house on her own, or DH picks her up, depending on the day. If I worked any earlier I would drop her at my mother's house and she would send her off at the appropriate time. The school also has separate out of school care (before and after school hours) where kids can be picked up or dropped off outside of school hours. The parents pay for this service.

I start work at 9 am, school starts at 8:38 am I drop her off before hand. My office is a 10-15 min walk from the school. We walk from the house to school. She's old enough now that when we get to the intersection before the school she crosses and I go straight. coming home she walks to my mother's house on her own, or DH picks her up, depending on the day.
That makes sense. I don’t know anyone fortunate enough to be that close to both work and school. Pretty much everyone in our office has about an hour commute to work without any side trips. So if they have to be at work at eight, they leave home at seven, and would have to drop their kids before that. I am guessing SAHM car pools would be popular here if they stopped running buses.

Well, my kids are 28 and 32 so it has been a while since I had to deal with it. I worked overnights, so I slept during the day when my kids were little. I took them to school before I went to bed, and then picked them up after I got up.
But things certainly have changed since the days I was in school (1962-1975) when kids walked to school, rode their bike or road the bus to their assigned school. You should see the gridlock around schools these days before and after school as parents drop off and pick up their kids. One thing I know with open enrollment is some parents enroll their kids in the school closest to where they work, rather than closest to their homes. Lots of car pools too.

The only restrictions I am aware of here on when school starts is that the school board and the teachers union have to agree to the dates. Charter schools set opening dates in their charters. And one district here is year round, with four "tracks" that are three months long with one month off, so no summer vacation for them.
Track A is in session January, February and March, and the kids are out all of April. Back in session May June July, out August, back in session September, October November, out all of December. ....etc
Track B is in session February, March April, and out all of May.......same pattern through the year
Track C is in session March, April and May and out all of June....same pattern through the year
Track D is in session April, May and June and out all of July. same pattern through the year

. Personally, with September being the peak month of hurricane season, it would almost make more sense to go back the end of September and finish the end of June, but that would never happen.

By the time I was in high school, I was wishing that school didn't start until late September. I didn't care if we had to attend even up to July 3 instead of mid-June, I just didn't want to go back right after Labor Day. September is a marvelous month to be off from school in these parts.

DGD's school has a before and after school care program. Called Kids Express. She goes to that and loves it

Today, I saw "new" bus drivers training in a parking lot which is part of where our school system has its in the road drivers ed course.

At my kids first schools there were no busses at all. Kids were expected to walk/bike or their parents had to bring them. Yes this caused a lot of headaches for many many parents but they figured out a way around it. Paying people to take your kid to school was common, as well as seeing one parent driving lots of kids.

Down here, there are only busses if youare further than 2 miles away from the school. We were 1.9 miles from the elementary and middle school so I had to drive them or they had to walk/bike every day. Again - having a lot of phone numbers of parents that you could rely on to help during storms or when things came up was vital. While some employers allow people to work around the school schedule that is quite rare. The elem school does a fairly extensive before/after school program to try to accomodate parents as well.

One of mine goes back this coming Monday, 7/29. But 3/4 of the school went back Jul 10. The other doesn't go back until the last week of August.

We do have school buses up to grade 6.
However many kids are in before and after program so get dropped off to that before school.

High school kids take public transit.

I have always found that "back to school" is my least favorite time of year. It just makes me sad. I am not even going back to school, but it still has me down a little.

Parents do what they've always done - they figure it out. Find a carpool, friend, family member, neighbor. Lots of day cares allow you to drop off your child in the early am and they will drop off/pick up from school. Or kids do what my friends and I all did - foot power.

The Disneyland Christmas Press Release hit my mail box just now. Forget back to school, time for Egg Nog and mistletoe.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter