School bus test run this morning... summer is almost over!

We had no buses in kids high school - I worked with two other parents in our area (we are rural, and school was 45 minutes away) and had the luxury of being able to drop off & pick up with a flexible work schedule. During middle school we did have a bus, but neither of the boys rode it after the first few weeks! For almost 4 years they rode their bikes almost every day. I'm guessing it was just short of a mile to school, so not to far. Luckily we lived in a area conductive to that, and there was a whole pack of kids roaming around those days on bikes.

Curious . . .how do the kids get to school without buses? Are the employers more forgiving there if parents are late to work? Being late because you are taking your kids to school wouldn’t have flown anywhere I have ever worked. Neither would leaving early for the same reason. I know there are some businesses that open later than 9:00, but most places I have worked I have had to be there before 8:00 and that would have been a problem.

Public schools here, by law, are not allowed to open earlier than two weeks before Labor Day. That happened because districts kept pushing it back until a few were starting mid July, and there were complaints. So at the very earliest they go back mid August, but if Labor Day is the 7th, they don’t go back until the last week of August. Personally, with September being the peak month of hurricane season, it would almost make more sense to go back the end of September and finish the end of June, but that would never happen.

My kids go to a private school and I work there, and we don't run buses at all. School starts at 8:25 but we have early care available starting at 7:00. I don't know what parents do if their kids go to public school. At my previous job, a few people came in after their kids went to school, but we could choose what hours to work (you could not rotate, you had to choose one). We could do 7:30 to 4:00, 8:00 to 4:30 or 8:30 to 5:00.

We've already done the school supply run, otherwise you get slim 'pickins.

School here gets out by Memorial Day and starts back in early August.
As a kid, we always got out Memorial Day and went back last week of August.

They are moving toward more of a year-round calendar with less downtime in between.

The calendar is wonky, not sure how families where both parents work manage it.

They have:
Fall break (early October)
Thanksgiving week
winter holiday from around Dec 21 to Jan 7.
Spring break (April)
Traditional holidays like labor day, mlk day, etc
And several teacher work days wrapped into 4 day weekends.

As a teacher, I start back on August 14 for two days of teacher training/institute days and our students start on that Friday, August 16th. I know as a parent, I always thought it was ridiculous to have the first day of school on a Friday and I still do. We get out right around Memorial day unless we use all our snow days and then it is the first week of June.

I remember the “good old days” when school started after Labor Day. To this day, I still get a stomach ache on the evening of Labor Day even though I am a teacher who starts school on the last week of August.

5 more weeks to go. The fifth week consisting of doctors appointments, a dentist appointment, hair appointment, and a pedicure. Oh, and I don’t want to forget setting up my classroom.

Like you I am a teacher too. This week and last, I have been busy with doctor appointments, and hair appointments for my daughter and I as we prepare to go back to school. I plan to wait until the first week of August to go back into my classroom to set it up. But I have been doing a bit of planning at home through my computer.

Test runs sound smart, can't say that I know of them doing it around here though least I haven't actively noticed.

Summer has been here for nearly 2months now. Kids start back mid-August. School is scheduled to be out right around Memorial Day as a norm--excess snow days aside; with seniors getting out a week or so before the rest of the other grades.
It sounds like you have a similar schedule as I do.

First time that the first day of school has no meaning to me in 8 years

This is the same thing for my son. He graduated from college in May and is looking for work in his field. So, for the first time in sixteen years, he will not be heading back to school in August. Definitely a change for the two of you.

Seeing the people going crazy over school supply lists makes me so happy that we have a service that packs them all up and ships them straight to the school. One click and I am done! No shopping at all. I love it.

Seeing the people going crazy over school supply lists makes me so happy that we have a service that packs them all up and ships them straight to the school. One click and I am done! No shopping at all. I love it.

LOL. My son started Kindergarten in 1997, which was right after the first Walmart opened here. I loaded up on their amazingly cheap school supplied. 200 pencil pack, 200 pen pack, several binders, thousands of sheets of binder paper. I think I spent $35. He's a dad now, and his daughter will likely be getting to use all the stuff I STILL have left after both my kids finished school.
Other than uniforms and a graphic calculator when the kids hit high school. never had to buy much of anything.

Kids here have only just finished for summer and already Tesco, a major supermarket has started an aisle full of uniform, stationary for back to school. Poor kids!!

I loved (odd I know) school supplies shopping for DD when she was in school.
She has been out of schoo for a couple years.
Her dgd(soon to be 4), will be attending pre k this upcoming wchi year. Only a few things on list, but I find myself getting stuff like a plastic crayon box lol.

She all ready has a back pack.lol

I loved (odd I know) school supplies shopping for DD when she was in school.
She has been out of schoo for a couple years.
Her dgd(soon to be 4), will be attending pre k this upcoming wchi year. Only a few things on list, but I find myself getting stuff like a plastic crayon box lol.

She all ready has a back pack.lol

Even at my age, I still love new school supplies. And I am not the only teacher that does! It surprises how much I enjoy picking just the right school planner each year. I also like the smell of new playdough! I teach eighth grade Social Studies and Language Arts. I but playdough for my Language Arts students and we do an activity relating to the writing process with it. Then I use it as an incentive the rest of the year. If they work hard during the week, then they can have their can of playdough the last fifteen minutes on Friday. My guidelines are that they each have their own can that I gave them, we put their name on it and they use the same one. No throwing it around, etc. The kids love it! For those of you who have teenagers in the house, consider putting a can of it in their Christmas stocking this year. You might be surprised by the reaction they have!

They have those here, too, but they don't typically come with the stuff people want. I.e. if you like a certain pencil, they have the cheap pencils, if you like Crayola, they have Cra-z-Art, etc. Of course, that varies by area, but you get the idea. My wife is a teacher and likes back to school shopping...

They have those here, too, but they don't typically come with the stuff people want. I.e. if you like a certain pencil, they have the cheap pencils, if you like Crayola, they have Cra-z-Art, etc. Of course, that varies by area, but you get the idea. My wife is a teacher and likes back to school shopping...

Our school is brand specific on the lists, so the company only packages those brands.

All this back to school stuff. They don't start here (L.I.) until after Labor Day. They only finished around June 28.

All this back to school stuff. They don't start here (L.I.) until after Labor Day. They only finished around June 28. Not that we have kiddos in school anymore, but traffic get's way worse once school is in session.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter