SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Well, I just went ahead and did it.

DW and I are booked at SOG this April during the week our kids have their school trip.

I still have some concerns about transportation but I'm going to try to overcome that with planning. We have been wanting to stay at SOG since 2009 and I was simply never able to get a reservations so I'm just going for it. Greatly looking forward to it and I will consider this another chance to check off another resort on our bucket list of staying at every WDW resort. (I know it's not owned by Disney anymore but I'm still counting it)
We enjoy SOG. For us, we like the grounds, the room size, I love the Java Cafe in the morning, drink at Evergreen's, and the lobby deck. On some of the balcony decks it's nice to look out on the golf course, if you enjoy that. The cons I would say are bus frequency from Disney Springs, the combo morning AK/HS bus, but on the flip side of that, we thought the busses were fairly empty coming back from anywhere to SOG and weren't crowded. Also, the magic band lack of use in the resort. But for the transportation issue, my input was pre March 2020, not sure how things look presently.

We have a trip booked next year 2021, and will have to look into transportation when it comes closer, as things evolve and we haven't been since last year. Or, how we'll do the park plans now without park hopping, what if the Poly monorail is down when we go, or if the walkway is open from the GF to MK, etc. Just things we'll put into planning later. I don't know all the intricacies of the transportation since post March 2020 and how things may have changed there. If you're on Facebook, there is an active SOG group that you can probably get most up to date information from, the responses or posts on here are not as frequent.

I have been to Disney a few times, but never SOG. I know about booking our room, but how to tickets work and booking fast passes? What is the best way to get from the airport to SOG?

I was able to book 9 days starting Labor Day 2021 but considered moving to later in the month. I also noticed most of the month blocked out online. That’s crazy if a group booked the entire hotel.
I’m really curious who and for what?!

I called earlier to make a reservation for 9/15/2021 (exactly 1 year in advance). I was told SOG is sold out for last 3 weeks of September 2021. I asked how was that possible since we were told we could only book 1 year out? They said some big group booked entire hotel. WTH? ☹ I also ask about another room on property, was told there wasn't anything available.

I have been to Disney a few times, but never SOG. I know about booking our room, but how to tickets work and booking fast passes? What is the best way to get from the airport to SOG?
This latest time we booked SOG, and around the 100-90 day mark (variable) from the trip, SOG emailed us a form. If you don't get it or have questions about the process, call or email their ticket office. They used to send the ticket numbers and hold the hard ticket at guest services, now apparently the tickets are Fed Exed. We were supposed to go this last April, and our hard tickets were waiting there, but they ended up going ahead and just sending the tickets to us Fed Ex. So, I have tickets to use by next September, so we rebooked a Disney trip for 2021 since our April trip cancelled on us. *Forgot to add, you email them the form back and they'll call you to complete the transaction.

Then you can take the number on the ticket back, and link it in MyDisney so that your park ticket is linked, you can make park reservations, and do the same if you want to buy a magic band. They send instructions on ticket linking, and also if you have issues you can call the Disney help desk. Once your tickets are linked in there, the fast passes work just the same, go into MyDisney and book them at the 60 day mark if staying at SOG. I've also bought tickets before this last time on the installation nearest us at the travel and leisure office.

Transportation, we now do Uber, and we've also rented a car from the airport. SOG doesn't have a free airport service. There are also plenty of alternate transportation services.

That’s crazy if a group booked the entire hotel. I’m really curious who and for what?!

I imagine it might be related to anticipated increased crowd level for the 50th Anniversary on 10/1/21 - exactly who and how I don't know, but that's my guess on the why.

We are booked SOG for beginning of October 2020. We have stayed at SOG many times and really love the spacious rooms, dining option and beautiful.

Reading online I can see the Garden Galley, Express Cafe, & Evergreen are closed

That leaves Mangino's, Bistro to go & Java Cafe for dining options. In the past we like Garden Galley breakfast before we head out to the park. I know we don't have long until our reservations early October, and I'm hoping more options will open. This will be our first time since Pandemic as well as longest period of time we have missed WDW and SOG. Any Info would be appreciated

We are booked SOG for beginning of October 2020. We have stayed at SOG many times and really love the spacious rooms, dining option and beautiful.

Reading online I can see the Garden Galley, Express Cafe, & Evergreen are closed

That leaves Mangino's, Bistro to go & Java Cafe for dining options. In the past we like Garden Galley breakfast before we head out to the park. I know we don't have long until our reservations early October, and I'm hoping more options will open. This will be our first time since Pandemic as well as longest period of time we have missed WDW and SOG. Any Info would be appreciated

We just came back from 3 nights at SOG. The place was super empty. We saw maybe 6 other groups other than us. Pools were usually pretty empty with at most 4 other groups there at the same time. Not having the buffet was sort of a bummer and we felt like we spent more on food this time than previous stays. We have 6 people in our family though.
They do have a to go and room service menu that is much larger than previous. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. You can see the menus on their website! https://www.shadesofgreen.org/dining-drinks/bistro-go
They added some menu items from Evergreens and Garden Gallery to the To Go menu which was awesome.
We ate in at Manginos on the first day and it was great. Service was amazing. Only two other groups there besides us.

Overall we were really happy with our stay. They are being very safe and have hand sanitizer everywhere. (I don't recommend the sanitizer in the units that you use your foot to dispense, they were sticky!) Even when eating at Mangino's they gave us a napkin to put our masks on, even Disney didn't do that.
We did have issues with our room. They changed the family suite but had not updated the images or listing online, so we did not get what we expected. They were very helpful and compensated fairly plus they changed the images and listing after I spoke to a manager, who came to the pool to find us. She was very kind.

Enjoy your stay!

Following. We have stayed at SOG once before, but may book again for an impromptu trip in March for my daughter's birthday. We were quarantined last year, so her birthday really stunk.

Any recommendations for transportation from airport to hotel for a child that requires a car seat? We will not be bringing our own, and I don't want to have to rent one for a full week.

Thanks!

Assuming that fastpasses are active again by the time you go, you just need to have both the ticket and the SOG resort reservation linked to your My Disney Experience account. SOG now counts as 'on site' for 60 day FP+ (again, when FP is an option, that is). If you don't have your SOG resort reservation linked, you have to do the 30 day, 1 day at a time, FP+ method.

For getting to/from the airport, last time we used an Uber XL and for three adults each with one suitcase and one carry-on, this worked well

Any recommendations for transportation from airport to hotel for a child that requires a car seat? We will not be bringing our own, and I don't want to have to rent one for a full week.

Thanks!
Do you need a full car seat or a booster type seat? We’ve been using a portable seat for my now 6 & 8 year olds and they are amazing...

I just booked a short trip for me and my 78 year old mom. We haven't been to SOG in several years and are so excited! I requested Palm side, any other requests I should consider?

I just booked a short trip for me and my 78 year old mom. We haven't been to SOG in several years and are so excited! I requested Palm side, any other requests I should consider?
If you want a higher floor. We did that last time. So quiet. I’ve never had a bad room there though.
How exciting for you!

If you want a higher floor. We did that last time. So quiet. I’ve never had a bad room there though.
How exciting for you!
Thank you! I’m very excited to be able to spend time with her at Disney! We loved SOG in the past and I think it’s perfect for a trip we’re we might want more resort time.

Thank you! I’m very excited to be able to spend time with her at Disney! We loved SOG in the past and I think it’s perfect for a trip we’re we might want more resort time.
It may be different now but we stayed a night in mid-August and it was soooo quiet (this was 3 days after they reopened). We had requested Magnolia 2nd floor and received it.

The one thing we did not like was the bathroom, sink, and shower were all in one room, not the separate areas like any other room we stayed in which was inconvenient with 4 of us. That is the one request I'm making next time to avoid that type of room. Thinking maybe it hadn't been renovated as many other rooms have?

Usually, when we stay at SOG it's "go, go, go" and we don't spend much time in the resort at all. This time we decided to skip the park on a day we planned at UO (it was a Saturday we checked in for a night before a flight on Sunday) and just hung around the resort, with a short mini-golf trip at Fantasia. It was SO pleasant and relaxing. Staff appeared very happy to be back!

One thing to know is to check the pool hours if you're planning on pool time - they were very different while we were there (one was open during the day, I think it was 10 to 4, and the other one at 4 pm until 10 p.m.). Also some of the restaurants I believe are still closed. Bistro to go was offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner when we were there.

When are you going? I hope you both have a great trip! :)

It may be different now but we stayed a night in mid-August and it was soooo quiet (this was 3 days after they reopened). We had requested Magnolia 2nd floor and received it.

The one thing we did not like was the bathroom, sink, and shower were all in one room, not the separate areas like any other room we stayed in which was inconvenient with 4 of us. That is the one request I'm making next time to avoid that type of room. Thinking maybe it hadn't been renovated as many other rooms have?

Usually, when we stay at SOG it's "go, go, go" and we don't spend much time in the resort at all. This time we decided to skip the park on a day we planned at UO (it was a Saturday we checked in for a night before a flight on Sunday) and just hung around the resort, with a short mini-golf trip at Fantasia. It was SO pleasant and relaxing. Staff appeared very happy to be back!

One thing to know is to check the pool hours if you're planning on pool time - they were very different while we were there (one was open during the day, I think it was 10 to 4, and the other one at 4 pm until 10 p.m.). Also some of the restaurants I believe are still closed. Bistro to go was offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner when we were there.

When are you going? I hope you both have a great trip! :)
We are going the first week in December! I'm excited to see the parks decorated for the holidays!

I have a reservation for March. Please tell me what room request to make? I know I want golf course view and close to elevator...does it matter between palm or magnolia? Any other tips?

I have a reservation for March. Please tell me what room request to make? I know I want golf course view and close to elevator...does it matter between palm or magnolia? Any other tips?
Palm is where the golf course views are. We have stayed on that side very quiet peaceful. Make sure you ask close to elevator as the hallways are long

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter