• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Take the pledge to continue to wear a mask during the Covid - 19 pandemic

I feel ridiculous in them (like The Hamburglar!), but I have been fastidious about wearing a mask out in public (indoors) for months now. Also, my kids wear them. I feel ridiculous because many around me don't wear them. I don't judge those who choose not to, but I'm tired of people giving me a hard time about trying to conform. My kids got invited to a large slumber party recently. After a different gathering of the same kids, I found out that two of the moms who had been milling around mask free had actually just recovered from Covid. I've told my kids they are not allowed to hang out with this group right now as they are careless. The mom of the birthday girl texted me AND dropped by my home with her daughter (unannounced) to convince me to let my kids go to this 10 girl slumber party (I ignored the text and didn't go outside to speak with them). I feel like I'm stuck between two different worlds here. My kids are super good about it, but there has to be resentment when the other moms act like I'm being ridiculous. I just want my kids to be able to get back to school and sports, they can go to parties again when this is over with.

Last edited:

I feel ridiculous in them (like The Hamburglar!), but I have been fastidious about wearing a mask out in public (indoors) for months now. Also, my kids wear them. I feel ridiculous because many around me don't wear them. I don't judge those who choose not to, but I'm tired of people giving me a hard time about trying to conform. My kids got invited to a large slumber party recently. After a different gathering of the same kids, I found out that two of the moms who had been milling around mask free had actually just recovered from Covid. I've told my kids they are not allowed to hang out with this group right now as they are careless. The mom of the birthday girl texted me AND dropped by my home with her daughter (unannounced) to convince me to let my kids go to this 10 girl slumber party (I ignored the text and didn't go outside to speak with them). I feel like I'm stuck between two different worlds here. My kids are super good about it, but there has to be resentment when the other moms act like I'm being ridiculous. I just want my kids to be able to get back to school and sports, they can go to parties again when this is over with.
I feel bad for you. You are being responsible, however.

On Tuesday our city council voted in a bylaw that will make mask use mandatory in a number of places, most notably retail stores. As it was drafted the bylaw makes business owners responsible for enforcement and the penalty for being caught in non-compliance (lack of signage and permitting non-masked customers inside) will be $200 per instance. Another mandatory location will be public transit. Enforcement officers will be monitoring the trains but enforcement on buses will be the responsibility of the drivers. We shall see how all of this goes...:rolleyes1

As if businesses didn’t have enough problems.
It's kinda a no-win situation but I think having the business be the ones here tends to work out for the better. The police also have enough problems and IMO don't need to be the first line of contact here for potential violations (they would likely only be called in the event the customer is very combative and unwilling to leave the premise).

On Nextdoor late last week there was a post about someone discussing a gas station that was not abiding by the mask mandate (the county is opted into it) and simply was saying it was optional. The person said they went in and the clerk inside did not have a mask and customers were let in without masks.

In my state we're supposed to contact the Consumer Fraud hotline with the DA's office if we suspect there are violations to the order and it is then inspected. In this case the person who posted about the gas station contacted the manager after having spoke with the clerk who had said "no it's optional" and the manager also said "no it's just recommended"

Of course a social media back and forth thing happened (and is still happening last I checked) and the point of my story is people were saying they were going to patronize this gas station specifically because they weren't abiding by the mask mandate which isn't what you want when you're trying to do what you can to reduce spread. Others were saying they wouldn't patronize this gas station specifically because they weren't abiding by the mask mandate. Neither of those choices actually does much because the business will continue operating as usually unless something else happens. Well word got around enough with enough people calling up this place and/or a person actually reported the business and this sign was added a few days after the post:

People do have a choice to patronize a business or not just as a business has a choice to abide by the mandate or not. Of course the end result may be you're barred from entering (which is what should be happening with the mandate) or you get a warning, fining or license removal if you're the business. Still a no-win for both but I think I would prefer having the business than having individual citizens being looked at, police patrolling for individual citizens, and the like.

Masks have been mandatory here since the beginning, it makes it easier on businesses because everyone complies. On the rare occasion someone doesn’t, the customers get involved and police are called.
Our stores, businesses have finally gotten firm about masks or no entrance. 👍
And Amazon, instacart are always easy alternatives for those who prefer not to mask and shop from home.

Or if someone doesn't want to shop in a mask...stay home and order from Amazon, instacart, etc.

Lots of options.
Why can't the people who want others to wear a feel good item be the ones who stay home and order from Amazon? If you're afraid, stay home. Simple. Instead you demand others do something against their will and senses to make you feel good.

Our stores, businesses have finally gotten firm about masks or no entrance. 👍
And Amazon, instacart are always easy alternatives for those who prefer not to mask and shop from home.
Opposite here. In the beginning, Aldis, Sheetz, and Giant Eagle required you to wear a mask and didn't allow you in the store. Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot did not. Those were the only things open. Now none enforce their signs and Sheetz actually change theirs to say "if you are not wearing a mask, we assume it is for medical reasons."

IME, they are grating to those people who know they should wear them, but for some reason, refuse to be a decent human being. If that bothers you, oh well.

I'm sick and tired of idiots in this country and I'm done being quiet about it.
Me and my family wore our masks this past weekend at WDW. We wear them in any place that mandates them, other than that, it stays in my pocket. Where do I fall into this? part time idiot maybe? I think if someone, anyone, is so worried about others not wearing their masks then stay home where you know you're safe.

Why can't the people who want others to wear a feel good item be the ones who stay home and order from Amazon? If you're afraid, stay home. Simple. Instead you demand others do something against their will and senses to make you feel good.

Wearing a mask helps stop the spread of a virus that has so far killed over 146,000 Americans. Isn't that reason enough to wear one?

Masks reduce your chance of transmitting the virus (if you have it) to others. If everyone in the store wears a mask, transmission risk gets pretty low and everyone can enjoy shopping. If it’s left to the individual or not enforced, that ruins the safe shopping experience for the other customers who are trying to live life as normally as is feasible and the businesses who are trying to keep their stores open with customers coming in. The big chains have come around to mask requirements for this reason.

This is why transmission is down and cases are down in areas with high mask compliance, and up in areas with low compliance where people think mask wearers are “being fearful.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter