Things that might go away after

Snow days.

There will still be days when weather prevents kids from traveling to school, but I'm thinking the era of having no schoolwork to do on those days is now history.

(And I disagree that things like music festivals and Mardi Gras celebrations will die out. Once a vaccine for this is developed and it becomes much less deadly due to increased knowledge and availability of treatment, big public gatherings will return. If the issue of sewage control could not permanently take down those celebrations, this will not, either.)

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how the cruise industry goes in general because it employs so many thousands of people. The two cruises I've taken (late 90s and then again in 2004), I was bored to tears. I read plenty at home and at least in my local watering hole I know in advance which people are jerks to be avoided. Shore excursions were the only things that kept me sane. Then the "poop cruise" happened a few years back and since then you couldn't drag me onto one of those ships. :crazy2:

Buffets... yeah, that's a thought, going old-school cafeteria-style. Growing up, my grandaddy would always insist on taking to Morrison's when we visited. I loved Morrison's!

I don’t know. The virus lives much longer on just about anything else, so your credit/debit card touching a terminal, or your fingers putting in a pin, or even your phone touching a touch point may be more hazardous than cash. They haven’t really proven it one way or the other. The only thing proven is simply not being physically present when you pay, which isn’t always practical (just ask the people ordering grocery delivery who are now on waiting lists more than a week long). I don’t want to contaminate my cards or phone (especially the phone which is close to my face for talking). I don’t know for sure yet what my long term payment plans are. Sticking to my budget is easier with cash (don’t have, don’t spend), and I don’t have to worry about my cards being compromised. My sister, who uses her cards all the time, gets compromised a lot, even at her bank. But I do want to reduce my virus risk as low as I can, so everything is on the table to accomplish that.

As to the question at hand, I agree that buffets in their current format will go away. They could go back to a cafeteria format, where the food is behind glass and plated for you. A person could still visit the line and get more, so AYCE wouldn’t have to go away, but the contamination risk would be greatly reduced, even for things like norovirus.
Phones, smart watches and newer chip cards are literally contactless pay. The problem is it’s hard to get through people’s heads (including the clerks) that you just need to “hover” over the machine, there’s no need to tap. Credit card signatures are technically no longer required but yeah, pins still present a problem. I use my Apple Watch connected to credit cards whenever I can. I’ve always been leery of those machines long before this. I’m hoping this will push the holdouts (looking at you Smith’s, Walmart and Home Depot) to finally accept mobile payments.

I’ve noticed in recent years clerks tend to grab your phone when you have a coupon or loyalty card. Once to my horror a clerk who was clearly sick grabbed my phone and started sliding her fingers all over the screen before I could stop her. Here’s hoping that kind of thing will stop.

With handshakes, hopefully it won’t be seen as rude anymore if you refuse. I’m all for the Shaka sign.

Been a hater of Buffets for decades but they’re a huge part of the Vegas hotels. No doubt there’s people brainstorming about how to address that problem right now. (they closed the buffets before they closed the hotels)

Been a hater of Buffets for decades but they’re a huge part of the Vegas hotels. No doubt there’s people brainstorming about how to address that problem right now. (they closed the buffets before they closed the hotels)

Agreed. I always avoid the buffets. On the cruise ships we always try to go to the main dining room. Cabanas is usually a complete madhouse.

Phones, smart watches and newer chip cards are literally contactless pay. The problem is it’s hard to get through people’s heads (including the clerks) that you just need to “hover” over the machine, there’s no need to tap. Credit card signatures are technically no longer required but yeah, pins still present a problem. I use my Apple Watch connected to credit cards whenever I can. I’ve always been leery of those machines long before this. I’m hoping this will push the holdouts (looking at you Smith’s, Walmart and Home Depot) to finally accept mobile payments.

I’ve noticed in recent years clerks tend to grab your phone when you have a coupon or loyalty card. Once to my horror a clerk who was clearly sick grabbed my phone and started sliding her fingers all over the screen before I could stop her. Here’s hoping that kind of thing will stop.

With handshakes, hopefully it won’t be seen as rude anymore if you refuse. I’m all for the Shaka sign.

I know, I don't like people touching my phone either.

keeping our means of production and manufacturing, etc in this country. so we are never again dependent on other countries for what we need. this wasn't meant to be political. just practical.
I agree but I've also come to find out that some products just aren't manufactered here as in there's no one to build them here.

For example my husband works with power plants and the condenser tube bundles for air cooled condesers used on power plants there is no company in the U.S. that makes them. So if the power plant runs an air cooled condesers you're getting them outside the U.S. which is and mostly China but Germany (much more expensive in costs) is another option.

As it was explained to me the market on this very specialized product no one has ever gone into making it here. That product however is on a type of power plant that is common enough.

Realistically it's just not possible to never be dependent on some other country (natural resources found elsewhere, specialized equipment/industries, and even just global trade is a positive thing even though there are def. negatives to it) but I agree with you that there are many things out there we can do here we just don't at this point.

Thngs that will go away ...
Bro Hugs
sharing chips and dip
buffets …. they may go to serving you like at Piccadilly cafeterias
Door Dash unless they start sealing the orders
slumber parties
super bowl parties at bars
line dancing
packing the stretching room at Haunted Mansion

Bobbing for apples. My kid was mocked for being a germaphobe for not wanting to do this at a Halloween party lol
When I was a kid never thought about, got older and was like yeah no.

Same for beer pong.. when I was a teen and late teen definitely played with beer in the cups with the ping pong balls going on the floor and everything and then drank the beer in the cup only sorta washing the ping pong ball in a cup of water and omg no one replaced the cups so y'all were just drinking after each other.

At some point it became a thought of "that's gross" and it was "let's do water in the cups instead and you just drink some of your own beer",not quite the same experience but yeah. And now vast majority of the times I've seen beer pong played it's with water in the cups and I pretty much just black out the times that I used to play the other very gross way :lmao:

I've never liked shaking hands, and have always wished we would adopt the Japanese bow.

I found a sign for all of us who want shaking hands to go away! (The left side was the old signs Right side is the new sign. ;) :teeth:

Social-Distance-Street-Signs-Dylan-Coonrad-Cannon-Design-Coronavirus-COVID-19-NYC.jpg

I don’t think anything will really be gone. After anything that disrupts our way of life, it’s human nature to think of all the things we can or should do without. And then when it’s over our short memories take ahold and we go back to whatever it was.

Some people that hate buffets anyway, won’t go. Others that like them, will head right on back. Shaking hands is going to be hard to get rid of, it’s such a part of our culture and considered “good manners” to shake hands.

Movie theaters might be headed out in some places but the ones here and where Dd lives stay packed. If these places are opened back up this summer, I see a summer of parents taking kids to movies. They have been stuck in enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter