For the most part no - and I have been to several world cups, many qualifiers and numerous US National team matches.
I am a member of Sam's Army from way back and was an MLS season ticket holder for the first 10 years attending multiple MLS CUPs.
Soccer was the only PRO sport I followed.

The team I primarily follow did not make it so that is a factor - but they rarely make it so that is not unusual.

In general they have done a poor job in marketing this in the US IMO - as someone else mentioned I almost forgot about it.

The way MLS and FIFA are run has really turned me off.

Yeah Ill watch the US matches and the final - but not excited at all.

For the most part no - and I have been to several world cups, many qualifiers and numerous US National team matches.
I am a member of Sam's Army from way back and was an MLS season ticket holder for the first 10 years attending multiple MLS CUPs.
Soccer was the only PRO sport I followed.

The team I primarily follow did not make it so that is a factor - but they rarely make it so that is not unusual.

In general they have done a poor job in marketing this in the US IMO - as someone else mentioned I almost forgot about it.

The way MLS and FIFA are run has really turned me off.

Yeah Ill watch the US matches and the final - but not excited at all.
MLS is better than ever before, unless you’re a pro/rel supporter, I don’t see how MLS is run poorly run. :confused3

I had to do a double take when I saw another World Cup thread. LOL. Given the several WC threads I have, you can say I’m super excited (just not as enthusiastic about the location due to obvious reasons). Our match against you will be the most watched USA match in history. I expect a shocking 2-1 win by the USA (yes, call me crazy England fans). Your media (nothing against you) really seems to think the USA is going 3 and out. We’ll see. I’ve waited 8 years to see my team play in the WC and upsets happen every group stage. As for how the Disboards feel about the WC, check out my thread to view the poll. Good luck to the three lions. The Stars and Stripes are coming over to win. :-)

Buzz.. I think you may have found your (soccer) people!

I had to check the thread to see if you had posted.. wasn’t at all surprised to see your post 😊

Enjoy the next few weeks of soccer, an early Christmas gift perhaps? 😉

Beer has just been banned for sale at the stadiums with just two days notice.
Especially since the biggest sponsor is a beer company.

Below tweet got deleted ;) s
It's a pity people here dont speak Dutch, a comedian here made a brilliant bar song about everything wrong with Qatar and human rights.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221118_154115_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118_154115_Samsung Internet.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 14
Buzz.. I think you may have found your (soccer) people!

I had to check the thread to see if you had posted.. wasn’t at all surprised to see your post 😊

Enjoy the next few weeks of soccer, an early Christmas gift perhaps? 😉
I’m under the weather at the moment so I’m praying for 3 wins. Rooting for Canada too by the way. If they score it will be an historic sports moment.

I consider myself the prototypical very casual American soccer fan. I watch for the Olympics and the World Cup.

On a 0-10 excitement scale, I'm a 0.1. Summer is perfect for us US casual fans because the only real sport going is baseball. There are a lot of other sports and other things to take our interest at this time of year.

Last edited:
I’m more of a Women’s Soccer fan, but I will usually watch a couple of Men’s matches. Not this time because it’s in Qatar. The World Cup is not getting my support and their advertisers won’t get my eyeballs.

I understand it’s “their country, their rules” when it comes to freedoms we take for granted here in the West. Specifically freedom for women and LBGTQ+ people. I could maybe set those concerns aside thinking that Qatar’s people might benefit from rubbing elbows with all manner of folks they have not been around before. Respecting other people’s cultures is not a bad thing.

What I can’t push aside is the treatment of their migrant workers (who are not allowed to change jobs) and the stories of mistreatment and death.

Now that the World Cup draws closer the restrictions that were originally loosened are tightening up again. I will be interested to see what else Qatar backs out on and how many fans end up in jail of fined for normal behavior or dress. FIFA should never have selected Qatar.

I consider myself the prototypical very casual soccer fan. I watch for the Olympics and the World Cup.

On a 0-10 excitement scale, I'm a 0.1. Summer is perfect for us US casual fans because the only real sport going is baseball. There are a lot of other sports and other things to take our interest at this time of year.
I feel the opposite way. It's cold and I don't want to go out. NFL only on twice a week thanks to Amazon. Not into college sports. NBA season is young. Bring on some world cup.

I feel the opposite way. It's cold and I don't want to go out. NFL only on twice a week thanks to Amazon. Not into college sports. NBA season is young. Bring on some world cup.
I totally get that, even though I'm more of a fall/winter sports person. But for me there's also the holiday season that will be taking up more of my attention, and summer's more laid back.

MLS is better than ever before, unless you’re a pro/rel supporter, I don’t see how MLS is run poorly run. :confused3
That may be true - as I said I was a season ticket holder for the first 10 years - thats when I walked away and have no interest in going back

We are a soccer family. We are excited.
It will be on our TV all the time, alot as background noise but the US games and later rounds will be 'must watch' TV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter