Feel better soon Buzz!

I hear we won a friendly yesterday against Japan, not a bad way to start!
I have the highlights on my WC thread. You should check them out. The USA won their friendly yesterday too. The North Americans are on their way in a positive light. You should watch their first match to see history live.

No (as in I probably won't watch), but I enjoy the enthusiasm of this sport. I was in Paris when the World Cup was there. We shared a boat with the Chinese team for a Seine cruise and the Scottish team spotted them from a bridge above. They were all in kilts and... well... used them to show the other team what they thought. Made an impact on me as a 15 year old girl lol. I also remember hearing a LOT of Ricky Martin that week from all the store radios.

Last edited:
No, but I enjoy the enthusiasm of this sport. I was in Paris when the World Cup was there. We shared a boat with the Chinese team for a Seine cruise and the Scottish team spotted them from a bridge above. They were all in kilts and... well... used them to show the other team what they thought. Made an impact on me as a 15 year old girl lol. I also remember hearing a LOT of Ricky Martin that week from all the store radios.

Can we just enjoy the tournament? I know there are issues in Qatar and they should be dealt with. But the World Cup is not the place for it. It's a shame that every major sporting event has to be overshadowed by things that have nothing to do with the sport.

It is impossible to separate the two when the event brings millions of tourists and their dollars into the host country, both for the event and (it is hoped) in the future. The entire point of hosting is to improve the country's global profile and reputation, and saying "just focus on the sport" is saying they should be allowed to do that without mention of any of their ongoing human rights abuses.

Not to mention, "just focus on the sport" is a particularly problematic and privileged position when there will be players on those fields who would be breaking the law simply by interacting normally with their spouse while in the country for the tournament. How do you imagine they feel about being told to "focus on the sport" in a country that deems holding hands with the person they love a crime?

It is impossible to separate the two when the event brings millions of tourists and their dollars into the host country, both for the event and (it is hoped) in the future. The entire point of hosting is to improve the country's global profile and reputation, and saying "just focus on the sport" is saying they should be allowed to do that without mention of any of their ongoing human rights abuses.

Not to mention, "just focus on the sport" is a particularly problematic and privileged position when there will be players on those fields who would be breaking the law simply by interacting normally with their spouse while in the country for the tournament. How do you imagine they feel about being told to "focus on the sport" in a country that deems holding hands with the person they love a crime?
Enough with the politics on the thread please. The mods may end up shutting the thread down because of it.

I unfortunately believe Messi and Ronaldo’s teams are going out in the group stage (though I hope I’m wrong).

The group stage? Who do you have getting out of groups C and H then, especially C? Anything is possible but I can't imagine 2 of Mexico, Poland, and Saudi Arabia (possibly the worst team ever to qualify for a World Cup) gets out.

My bracket is a Brazil Portugal final but I have Argentina making it to semi-final and losing to Brazil.

we go to a local sports bar. Biggest crowd ever other than a super bowl was womens world cup. I think the x and z generation prefers soccer over baseball

we go to a local sports bar. Biggest crowd ever other than a super bowl was womens world cup. I think the x and z generation prefers soccer over baseball
In my experience, my (Y) generation definitely does. Pretty much everyone I know watches soccer. My social media feeds from friends have been filled with excitement for the WC this week.

The group stage? Who do you have getting out of groups C and H then, especially C? Anything is possible but I can't imagine 2 of Mexico, Poland, and Saudi Arabia (possibly the worst team ever to qualify for a World Cup) gets out.

My bracket is a Brazil Portugal final but I have Argentina making it to semi-final and losing to Brazil.
Group A: Netherlands, Qatar
Group B: England, USA
Group C upset: Mexico, KSA
Group D: Denmark, Australia (France champ curse continues)
Group E: Germany, Spain
Group F: Belgium, Canada (yep, I think they make it because of results going their way somehow)
Group G: Brazil, Switzerland
Group H upset: Uruguay, South Korea

The UK is 4 countries as someone has said. Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales, so like everywhere else, each country has its own football team.
United Kingdom basically is these separate countries, united under one Kingdom.
Gets more complicated in that there is also ‘Great Britain’ which is the Island comprising England, Wales and Scotland, excluding Northern Ireland. This as formed in the 1707 Acts of Union when England (which also encompassed Wales at the time) joined with Scotland to form Great Britain in Union.
Yet more complication- for example in the Olympics we compete as ‘Team GB‘ so not as separate countries, and in this context ‘Team GB’ is ‘Team GB and Northern Ireland’. Not sure why they just don’t call it the United Kingdom team😂
Because Northern Ireland is not really a country. It’s 6 counties of Ireland that England holds a claim on.

Because Northern Ireland is not really a country. It’s 6 counties of Ireland that England holds a claim on.
Can we all please stop with the political statements. That’s not the point of the thread. It’s a simple thread about soccer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter