August 18th trip planned...getting nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is still going on by the end of June, the economy is done. And that will be completely political. If we are just trying to "flatten the curve" ie not overload hospitals, this should end within 3 weeks. Otherwise, we are doing something completely different. I'm not sure what.
Disagree. With a 2-week contagious incubation period and people still out there spreading the virus in new communities, we have not seen the peak, nor are we likely to in three weeks. Some places are only now realizing the virus is among them, and it’s still invisible in others, leading to lax social distancing and further spread.

China was only able to bring their cases down through a heavy handed government approach that would be impossible in the US, and the Disney parks are still closed in there after two months.

I don’t think we’ll be in complete lockdown by the end of June, but we won’t be back to normal.

If restrictions are lifted too soon, we will see a rapid resurgence of cases. If we lift everything in three weeks, all the economic damage will have served no purpose because we’ll still have a tsunami of cases hit our healthcare system in unmanageable levels.

I guess the 1st indication of how things are going to be will be on April 1st. When Disney reopens on April 1st ( I believe in the magic of Disney), we will have some idea how things will progress from there. Our next trip is Jun 30th and I just know we will have a fabulous trip!8-)

While I don't believe WDW will open on April 1st, I do believe it will open by mid-summer at the latest. I think we have at least a tough 4 weeks ahead of us. If the the spread can be somewhat under control by that point, then we can start to have some optimism. We have a May 1st trip scheduled which we definitely believe will be canceled, we are hoping to re-schedule for late August. As far as the comment about "there won't be a Disney", that's crazy ! Of all the companies that may go under from this pandemic, I firmly believe Disney is not one of them. They still have revenue coming in from other departments and they certainly have the capital to take a big hit.

I guess the 1st indication of how things are going to be will be on April 1st. When Disney reopens on April 1st ( I believe in the magic of Disney), we will have some idea how things will progress from there. Our next trip is Jun 30th and I just know we will have a fabulous trip!8-)
Disney will not reopen on April 1st, schools are closed longer than Disney World, so Disney World will remain closed. This is just the beginning.

I think there is a good possibility August is still on. We have July booked, willing to move to August or November if need be. However, I don’t think park operations will be the same. Open, yes, but things will probably be slow to return back to normal.

We are supposed to go to Disneyland on 7/3 and I try not to think about it. I have a lot of money sunk into the trip but we'll go another time if necessary. So many people are going through worse. It is what it is.

I wish I had your optimism.

The uncertainty is so hard, isn't it? Sometimes I feel like closures are going to go on for months, and my kids won't even be able to go to summer camp. Then someone posted on another thread that a CM said the parks will be open again by the end of April. While I'm not putting much faith in the opinions of a phone CM, it illustrates how many different predictions are out there. It's so hard to know how to plan for this.

I realize that my Disney vacation is hardly the most pressing issue in the world right now, but the planning process makes me happy and is a good distraction from all the other terrible news out there. i just want to have realistic dates set so I can go to Disney in my mind again.

The uncertainty is so hard, isn't it? Sometimes I feel like closures are going to go on for months, and my kids won't even be able to go to summer camp. Then someone posted on another thread that a CM said the parks will be open again by the end of April. While I'm not putting much faith in the opinions of a phone CM, it illustrates how many different predictions are out there. It's so hard to know how to plan for this.

I realize that my Disney vacation is hardly the most pressing issue in the world right now, but the planning process makes me happy and is a good distraction from all the other terrible news out there. i just want to have realistic dates set so I can go to Disney in my mind again.

No CM at Disney up to the CEO can say that for certain. Alas, I shall take your rumor and hold it dear to my heart in any case.

August is too far from now to stress - a lot can happen between now and then. CDC is saying 8 weeks which is end of May at this point. If we were still under Home Rule at the beginning of June, then I'd be concerned.

Disagree. With a 2-week contagious incubation period and people still out there spreading the virus in new communities, we have not seen the peak, nor are we likely to in three weeks. Some places are only now realizing the virus is among them, and it’s still invisible in others, leading to lax social distancing and further spread.

China was only able to bring their cases down through a heavy handed government approach that would be impossible in the US, and the Disney parks are still closed in there after two months.

I don’t think we’ll be in complete lockdown by the end of June, but we won’t be back to normal.

If restrictions are lifted too soon, we will see a rapid resurgence of cases. If we lift everything in three weeks, all the economic damage will have served no purpose because we’ll still have a tsunami of cases hit our healthcare system in unmanageable levels.

yes we will see a resurgence of cases when things open again. It will happen whenever we decide it’s okay to come out of hiding. After reading some opinions of economics experts It makes sense to me that shutting everything down for more than three weeks or so will have devastating economic results and we’ll be worse off because we won’t have the same resources to handle the situation. Flattening the curve doesn’t mean eliminating the curve. We are all going to get the virus. We are simply trying to stretch out our infections and share the hospital/ oxygen/ ventilators.

I'm trying to be optimistic for August. Now that the summer Olympics are postponed the hope lessens somewhat....

I’d like to share your optimism too. I think the summer olympics have to be cancelled even if things recover in the next few months, just out of fairness. There are some countries where the situation is so bad that people aren’t even allowed to go outside for a quick run... and training centers around the world are closed. So it’s only fair to give everyone extra time to be at their peak.

Hopefully everything recedes sooner rather than later. I am already tired from working at home for the past week. Assuming I can keep my job, I’ll probably go crazy after doing this for several months from home. And if I don’t, well, it’s probably not a good idea to be going to Disney World either way.

We have a trip in late August. Right now we are being optimistic that it will still happen. its Our first trip in 3 years that our whole family has been able to take and the kids are really excited. hopefully over the next few weeks we will have a better idea of life getting somehwat back to normal or if it’s going to be like this for a while

We are booked to arrive the last week in August and also cautiously optimistic. I'm not sure I'll feel comfortable yet with the risk of exposure.

August is too far from now to stress - a lot can happen between now and then. CDC is saying 8 weeks which is end of May at this point. If we were still under Home Rule at the beginning of June, then I'd be concerned.
The CDC said 8 weeks on March 15, which would go up to May 10. I am supposed to hit Universal on May 12 and WDW on May 15. I haven't completely given up on that trip yet, realize it could be a no-go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter