Do your schools get President's Week off?

Week? No.
Presidents' Day, yes.

Pennsylvania's 180 day requirements keep us from having too many days off. There are a few random teacher inservice days so they don't get a full week for Presidents' Day. We also get snow days.

Yea I'm on the other end of PA not sure you saw my prior post but when this comes up about all the fall/winter/spring breaks I always ask when the kids goto school and if they have all these breaks do they start the beginning of Aug and end the last week in June or do year round school. :confused3

Though my kids are out of K-12 they like me in the same school district do 183 days a year.

For those of you with the week off:

• How many days of school are required in your state?
  • Do you get snow?
  • When do you start the school year?
  • When do you end the school year?

....in New Jersey, it's kinda been dubbed "Presidents' Week", but in actuality, it's Winter Break.

Our winter break is at Christmas time (typically December 20/21/22 through January 2/3). What do your kids get off during the holidays?

NC here. We don't even get President's Day off. When MLK Day came into being, the state quit using President's Day as an official state holiday, and most school districts followed suit.

• Do you get snow?

YES. Yuck.
Wed-Friday after Labor Day, depends on the year.
Between the 21st - 25th.

We’ve had 3 snow days
Wednesday after Labor Day
June 26

YES. Yuck.
Wed-Friday after Labor Day, depends on the year.
Between the 21st - 25th.

I think this is the clue. My son only has Monday off for Presidents' Day, but his school year is over June 7 (barring make up days for snow). We star the week before Labor Day, and the calendar has 4 built in snow days.

• Do you get snow?
[/QUOTE]

NYS requires 180 days of school.
Yup, we get snow, but we (NYC Public schools) do not have snow days built into out calender.
We usually start school the Thursday after Labor Day. Teachers return the day after Labor Day.
The last day if school this year is June 26.

NYC public schools are closed on Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Election Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day and Anniversary Day(it used to be called Brooklyn/Queens day and only schools in those 2 boroughs were closed). We also have about 4 days out in the fall for Jewish Holidays, about 2 for Muslim holidays and Chinese(which was last Friday). We get 2 days off for Thanksgiving, 5-7 for Christmas. If Easter is a few weeks before Passover, then we get Good Friday off. We get 5-8 days off for spring break. This depends on when Passover begins and ends.

Regardless of how many days schools have off each year, kids across the country attend school for the same amount of time.( @180-185 days)

Kids in our district didn't even get President's Day off this year - it was a makeup day from a snow day in January. Snow makeup days here are MLK Day, Presidents' Day and the week after school is scheduled to end (normally that would encompass the first few days of June). No Winter break, but two weeks off at the Holidays.

I used to live in the SF Bay area back in the 1980s, and do remember hearing about Ski Week back then....

Regardless of how many days schools have off each year, kids across the country attend school for the same amount of time.( @180-185 days)

Not all kids, we public school kids were jealous when the Catholic School kids got all kinds of extra days like the Pope's Birthday and didn't have to follow the 180 day rule. :)

Our winter break is at Christmas time (typically December 20/21/22 through January 2/3). What do your kids get off during the holidays?
....we get that week off between Christmas and New Years....I guess it's called Christmas Break, but I'm not sure....

Not all kids, we public school kids were jealous when the Catholic School kids got all kinds of extra days like the Pope's Birthday and didn't have to follow the 180 day rule. :)

I'm sure there were days that the Catholic schools were open while the public schools were closed.

We did get the full week off for a couple of years here (central NYS), but now we get only Friday and Monday to make a 4-day weekend.

I was up at my parents' house for the weekend (Western NY), and their district did get the week off.

I'm sure there were days that the Catholic schools were open while the public schools were closed.

Not sure when they had all the regular days off plus these extra ones. I've been trying find the current calendar for my local catholic school and it doesn't seem like they post it.

LOL. Catholic schools aren't that way here anymore. DS graduated from Catholic High School in 2005 and DD in 2009. The Pope's birthday and all those Saint days were no longer holidays anymore.
Public school goes 180 days. Catholic here goes 200 these days. And that's not counting that they are required to take summer school 3 of their 4 years.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter