Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

This has me wondering … if the AK / DVC members pay for cost of the animals associated with a visit and what makes it unique …
Will DVC also be responsible for the care for the horses , etc. in their dues?
I would think not on the basis that the horses at Circle D are not an "amenity" for the use of the resort. Other than visiting the ranch, all activities at Circle D are an additional cost (which should be funding the care of the horses, along with costs passed along to the Magic Kingdom for use of the horses at the park).

This is distinct from AKV, where the animals in the savannah are there for the (mostly) exclusive use and enjoyment of the resort guests. I would also assume at AKV, some portion of the fees from the "extra cost" activities that take place in the AKV Savannah go toward the animal care budget (thus defraying some of the costs passed on to AKV owners). Of course, I am sure Disney takes a big cut of those fees to cover the staff for the "safari's" and their marketing of such activities, but there has to (should) be some portion that benefits the animal care budget.

I would think not on the basis that the horses at Circle D are not an "amenity" for the use of the resort. Other than visiting the ranch, all activities at Circle D are an additional cost (which should be funding the care of the horses, along with costs passed along to the Magic Kingdom for use of the horses at the park).

This is distinct from AKV, where the animals in the savannah are there for the (mostly) exclusive use and enjoyment of the resort guests. I would also assume at AKV, some portion of the fees from the "extra cost" activities that take place in the AKV Savannah go toward the animal care budget (thus defraying some of the costs passed on to AKV owners). Of course, I am sure Disney takes a big cut of those fees to cover the staff for the "safari's" and their marketing of such activities, but there has to (should) be some portion that benefits the animal care budget.
I would be willing to bet that the full costs of animal husbandry including the vet care of the animals at AKL is in the dues and none of the " extra fees" they charge defray any of those expenses.

I understand and agree with you that the more points at a resort the lower the dues.

I still don't think it really has much to do with the point charts being higher or lower.
The dues ultimately come down to the operating expenses divided by the number of points at the resort.

It's how your expenses occur that is the issue.

A larger portion of operating expenses depends on the construction of the resort. If it is compact and only one to two buildings it should theoretically be cheaper. You don't need as many cast members to service it in a timely manner as people have a shorter distance to travel. For example Bell services bringing your luggage at VGF Building 1 and BLT don't have to leave the building where as OKW/SSR/Poly are constantly moving throughout the resort.

Of course transportation also plays into the cost as some are more expensive than others.

The last thing is if it is a standalone resort the dues are generally going to be higher as Disney is only paying the for the 2% of the resort they own as opposed to when it is attached/associated with a hotel like BLT, VGF, BCV or BWV.

We may be talking about two different things then.

When they set the points per night more, which increases the total points they can be sold, those owners at that resort will see lower dues than what those owners would see if they had made the points per night, or total less…

You can’t look at two different resorts because the costs to maintain and operate each resort is indivual to thst resort.

What it costs to run RIV has nothing to do with the cost to maintain say BWV.

But, if the RIV point chart was the same as the BWV point chart, meaning RIv didn’t have 6.7 million points, RIV owners would be paying a lot more than they do now

So, a resort with a higher point charts, because it raises the total points sold, will see lower dues per owner than if that SAME resort has less points.

Nothing to do with any other resort. If OkW had the RIV point chart, which would give it more total points, its dues would be lower for OKW owners than what they currently pay.

We may be talking about two different things then.

When they set the points per night more, those owners at that resort will see lower dues than what those owners would see if it was less

You can’t look at two different resorts because the costs to maintain and operate each resort is indivual to thst resort.

But, if the RIV point chart was the same as the BWV point chart, RIV owners would be paying a lot more than they do now

So, a resort with a higher point charts will see lower dues per owner than if that SAME resort has less points.

Nothing to do with any other resort. If OkW had the RIV point chart, its dues would be lower for OKW owners than what they currently pay.
Agree - you are right. Higher points per night = more points in the system = lower dues per point, holding all else constant.

I completely agree. This was about your statement that dues with higher point charts would have lower dues.
You just made a blanket statement that I was referencing.
There was no mention of if it was a stand alone resort vs tied to an existing property.
Nothing about transportation or other expenses.
I was just showing that not all resorts with higher point charts have lower dues which is what you originally stated.

Agree - you are right. Higher points per night = more points in the system = lower dues per point, holding all else constant.
In theory that should be the case.

However SSR does not have higher points per night and I believe it has the largest amount of points yet it's dues are 4th lowest at WDW.

Yes operating expenses matter.
Yes Number of Points at the resort matter.

IMO Point Charts do not matter when it comes to setting dues.
I believe @Unclelude was close but it should be

Dues = Operating Costs ÷ Number of Points at the resort matter.

Many will say I'm wrong but that is the way I see it so I apologize in advance.

X = Y ÷ Z

What makes X bigger?

X (dues) gets bigger if Y (operation costs) gets bigger or Z (point chart) gets smaller.

I don't understand why this is confusing. It's all relative.

@Sandisw I apologize if I have offended you or anyone else here.
You are a wealth of knowledge and a great resource.

I am going to honor @wilkydelts now and move on.

Again, I responded to a conversation thst the dues at the cabins are going to be higher per point with a smaller point chart than the. have had the made it higher. And thst remains true.

The expenses have nothing to do with. Nothing to do with shared resorts or anything.

So again, the higher the point chart at a resort, the lower per point those owners will pay to maintain their resort, whether it’s stand alone, shared, etc. once the total cost of running it is known.

Last edited by a moderator:
However SSR does not have higher points per night and I believe it has the largest amount of points yet it's dues are 4th lowest at WDW.

Yes operating expenses matter.
Yes Number of Points at the resort matter.

IMO Point Charts do not matter when it comes to setting dues.
I believe @Unclelude was close but it should be

Dues = Operating Costs ÷ Number of Points at the resort matter.

Many will say I'm wrong but that is the way I see it so I apologize in advance.
You're missing a variable, which is total number of rooms.

In a clean hypothetical, we have a resort with 1,000 identical rooms (all studios for simplicity). If each room rents for 10 points per night, you'd need to sell 3,650,000 points (10x1,000x365). If we increase the per-night rate to 15 points, then you'd need to sell 5,475,000 points. If the operating costs stay the same, then that cost, distributed over 5.5 million points will result in lower dues per point than if that cost were spread out over 3.6 million points. There's no way around that.

SSR may not have higher points per night, but it has more rooms. WAY more rooms. Going back to our scenario, if we substitute 1,500 rooms for our model's 1,000, then all of a sudden, our hypothetical resort has 8,212,500 points to sell (15x1,500x365). Now, certainly with a bigger resort, operating costs can and will be much higher (with SSR transportation is an obvious line item), but you now has 50% more points to spread out your costs across, and as long as costs aren't 50% greater, you'll still low points per night and low(er) dues.

In real world numbers (getting away from our very rounded hypothetical), SSR is massive at 1,320 rooms. That's nearly 6 times bigger than CCV, 5 times bigger than BCV, 3 times bigger than PVB and BLT, double the size of AKV, and a whopping 9 times bigger than VGF (pre-Old Pine Key). Its closest comparison would be OKW, and even then it's still over 40% bigger. There (OKW), the dues are almost $1.75 more per point, even though the point chart is similarly low and the grounds equally large. The difference: many more rooms meaning many more points to distribute costs across.

Also, if you look at the three resorts with lower dues (BLT, CCV, and GFV) two of those resorts are the towers, and the third is sharing resort costs with the remaining 600 rooms at GFH (and a much smaller footprint).

Last edited:

I checked into Fort Wilderness today for a camping stay and plans were in motion for the CFW. See my updates, pictures, and info nuggets all through page 3 of my trip report.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/g...-2024-visit-to-fort-wilderness.3937956/page-3

Bottom line is this conversion will take longer than I thought it would.

Bama Ed
Thank you for the link to your report! Looks like the DVC cabin thread isn’t the only one on the Campground forum that I need to keep up with!

And FWIW, I can now speak confidently about the current legacy cabin laundry facilities.

We checked into Fort Wilderness on Tuesday with our camper and I took a bike ride over to the cabin pool area which includes its laundry facilities.

The back portion of the pool building is the laundry facilities and I went by there on my walk on Tuesday afternoon and snapped some pics.

There are 9 washing machines.

And 6 dryers on either side of the entrance door for a total of 12.

The two cabins from 2200 loop that were yanked a few weeks ago (2220 and 2228) were rolled out of WDW down World Drive today. I suspect they were "boneyard" cabins supplying their parts for maintenance needs of the other cabins.

Work continues on the field work yard today (fencing, decking, trimming tree branches over the gate).

Bama Ed

PS - don't know what changes will be made here but the cabins currently have a high occupancy level (weather is great this week) and I have literally NEVER seen a crowd at this laundry facility (when using the cabin pool). The Comfort Stations in the camping loops (with slightly fewer machines) are frequently busy and in use.

I think the 7 month demand for these is going to be so high. The points chart is so favorable. A lot of families have a tradition of staying at the cabins. We adore Fort Wilderness and have stayed there many times. My husband grew up staying there on his family vacations. So even though the dues are high, I’m thinking about getting a small contract just so we have the 11 month booking window and don’t have to worry. I’m definitely the target audience 😬

It’s official…. $225/point.

Just talked to my guide.

Annual dues $12.16/point

ALL cabins will be pet (dog) friendly. (Fees apply)

Incentive is $10/point off for 150 points. ($11 at 200)

Minimum add on is 50 points.

It’s official…. $225/point.

Just talked to my guide.

Annual dues $12.16/point

ALL cabins will be pet (dog) friendly. (Fees apply)

Incentive is $10/point off for 150 points. ($11 at 200)

Minimum add on is 50 points.

Was there any information about how it’s being sold as part of the trust?

My guide confirmed the laundry will be dedicated to DVC. He confirmed resale restrictions but has not yet sent the disclosure document. He said the trust would work the same as the traditional condo association but not a lot of details there. He also confirmed that we could borrow for a reservation this year if we want to match our December use year.

Was there any information about how it’s being sold as part of the trust?
Hey Sandi,

I did email that guide again and asked for more details about it being part of the trust and this is what she replied :

The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort will work on a Trust, however, it will not affect anything as to how your membership works today. Instead of the wording being a Condominium Association it will be a Trust. I do not have any information on Disney's Polynesian Villas and how it will be worded, however, the deeds will work exactly the same as they do today. If needed, I would be happy to send you a copy of Public Offering Statement.

I also asked her for the Public Offering Statement and it seems like it’s the same 257pg Resort Use Plan document we were all discussing a few weeks ago from the Florida Comptroller site 🤷🏼‍♀️

This really shocks me as there are people with severe allergies.

I figured they would designate a certain number of cabins for the dog friendly cabins.
Maybe they mean the first 30 cabins opening July1 and as they eventually open other loops and sections they’ll designate some as dog friendly and others as not, as I believe it is currently?

Last edited:
Hey Sandi,

I did email that guide again and asked for more details about it being part of the trust and this is what she replied :

The Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort will work on a Trust, however, it will not affect anything as to how your membership works today. Instead of the wording being a Condominium Association it will be a Trust. I do not have any information on Disney's Polynesian Villas and how it will be worded, however, the deeds will work exactly the same as they do today. If needed, I would be happy to send you a copy of Public Offering Statement.

I also asked her for the Public Offering Statement and it seems like it’s the same 257pg Resort Use Plan document we were all discussing a few weeks ago from the Florida Comptroller site 🤷🏼‍♀️
At the risk of reading too deep into her exact wording like a crazy person (that is in fact exactly what I’m doing), I’m rereading her email response and seems she’s referred to the tower as Disney’s Polynesian Villas when discussing the future writing of the tower documents. Could just be a simple way to talk about it but it also could be a strong indicator that is part of the current villas?

(Sorry, I hope I’m not derailing this conversation too much! I can move it to the dozen other threads about the poly tower😅)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter