Hurricane Irma?

Ive been reading where some were able to keep their entire package price in tact (room rate) even when rescheduling.
We have rescheduled for next month and we are having to pay the difference in cost for the time but unfortunately are getting a downgrade from Art of Animation to All Star Music (AHHHHHH). I can pay even more than what we are already paying more to upgrade to my original resort. Does this sound right? I get that next month is busier. I am just going off of other posters here who said they had their original rate honored.

We were scheduled to arrive yesterday. We actually were already in Chicago where we would have flown out of when the decision was made to cancel. We made a day of it yesterday and came back home to Indiana. After seeing the projections tighten up and knowing I had a friend who just went through the storm in St Martin (his pictures are devastating and they barely survived in the shelter. The airport was destroyed and he and his wife are trapped there with no power or supplies), I just couldn't go through with taking my family down. I kept feeling hopeful when I saw other posters here confidently stick it out, which I wanted to do. Then after we cancelled, the airport announced a shutdown on the day before we would have left. Great decision.

I pray the best for everyone! I personally don't believe this will be the same as Matthew. That was a dusting in comparison. I do believe that in my heart that Orlando could fair better than most of the rest of Florida!

I was set to arrive tomorrow but rescheduled to dec. we were able to stay at POP and keep free dining, their was a 127$ difference on our end.

I'm right there with you. I have family in Central Florida and am praying for their safety and everyone in Irma's path. My brother has reassured us that they are in the safest area possible as their city is considered in one of the safer zones as far as storms and flooding but with a storm this massive it's hard to know. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone there. I will be staying tuned in to the Dis. It was comforting to wake up in the middle of the night and see real time posts from Dis members during Hurricane Matthew and to hear it wasn't as bad as expected. I keep hoping that this might also not be as bad as expected and Irma takes a sudden change in course that will lessen its impact. My sweet nephew told me, "I don't care if it takes away my house, I just don't want it to take away my life." Hoping and praying that it doesn't take away anyone's life.

It's just super scary, and I know that this is really bad. I've never experienced a hurricane, but I know the damage it can cause. My uncle is in southern Florida, and we are all just praying for his safety!

That discounted rate could push someone to seek out a Disney hotel in order for survival if they feel endangered.

CM's are going to be working the hotels regardless. Just because someone books a room or happens to get a discount room rate doesn't mean that's keeping CM's away from their family.

Same goes for doctors, nurses, police officers, firefighters, etc.. There's tons of jobs where people will be required to work and where just being home isn't an option.

So there's no need to talk down to anyone who might have insight into helping others book a room, get a deal, or just feel safer
You can't compare LEO, doctors, nurses, firefighters, etc, to theme park employees. One is essential to safety/life. One is definitely not.

I wouldn't, because CMs will be there during the storm either because they are scheduled to be there and it's their job or if a CM is participating in the "Ride Out Crew", they volunteered to be there.
THIS NEEDS TO BE MADE CLEAR
CM that will be working are either scheduled to be there or a CM volunteered to pick up a shift.
I have 2 CM that have picked up shifts as "ride out crew" because they want to.

Hard morning. Finally cancelled today's trip late last night to find the storm has be downgraded this morning. (SO thankful for that!). Im a glutton for punishment as I keep second guessing what I did even though I did what was the right thing for me to do in the moment. So, so sad this morning. We were supposed to be getting ready to leave for the airport right now. ☹️☹️ Lol - even looked at rebooking our trip this morning but nothing available.

All will be better in a few days but it's just hard right now.

Praying for all in FL.

I feel for you. But NEVER regret taking the safe route. Better safe than sorry is so cliche but true. Better than regretting NOT canceling and regretting some sort of tragedy. Disney will be there for another day...

No idea how anyone could be second guessing their decision to cancel based on the current forcast

This is going to cause a massive amount of damage. Orlando right now will still get 110 mile per hour winds

My family lives near orlando and are doing everything they can to prepare. While people are on here are worrying about rides, they and everyone around them are worried about lives and their homes being destroyed

I was due to flight out today but have rescheduled. I have heard some people from UK are still flying out today for their vacations.
Have they lost their minds????

INCREDIBLY UNFAIR to make those harsh judgements. I'm here, flew in Wednesday, plan to weather the storm and go about my business. And yeah, I've lost EVERYTHING in a natural disaster before, so I get it. And I'm super sick of people saying how stupid we are and we don't love our families, etc etc. I took a calculated risk and now I have to roll with it. I wish everyone safety in its path and I hope it turns and heads out to sea.

We rebooked yesterday and changed our dates to get in Wednesday, but getting worried that's not enough time. I think our plan right now is to watch the weather, and if by Monday afternoon/evening it's looking like things won't be open in a day or two, to just cut our losses and go to NYC or Cali (where at least there's Disneyland!). It's the not knowing that makes this so much more stressful. Realistically, I know everything could be fine. But I also know there's a chance it might be the opposite of that.

After canceling everything, i felt much better about our decision but pretty bummed. This morning, DW and I mustered the will to look at availability and scored BC from 12/14-12/21. Were now getting amped up re-planning for our first ever christmas time trip! Be safe everyone and if you can re-book, you should!
That is great. Have a feeling that there might be an increase of people at Disney during December due to re-scheduling. It is a wonderful time to go.

INCREDIBLY UNFAIR to make those harsh judgements. I'm here, flew in Wednesday, plan to weather the storm and go about my business. And yeah, I've lost EVERYTHING in a natural disaster before, so I get it. And I'm super sick of people saying how stupid we are and we don't love our families, etc etc. I took a calculated risk and now I have to roll with it. I wish everyone safety in its path and I hope it turns and heads out to sea.
Honestly, I'm not one bit surprised anyone from the UK kept their plans, especially anyone was scheduled to land prior to today and especially since most of their trips are 2 weeks long. Don't let some of these folks make you feel bad. The planning it takes to do a UK trip and the efforts to rearrange are not easy and in your shoes I would have done just what you did. Now, if I had a trip leaving today I'm not so sure, that's a bit tougher with the current info. It's just so hard to change trips from the UK, or other far distances.

Logged on for the first time in years to say I've been on hold 6 hours and 42 minutes. I'm hanging up.

I starting writing that ^^ last night and as I did someone answered! She was incredibly sweet and helpful. The only reason we changed dates was because our flight got cancelled, otherwise we would've tried for it. We fly out Monday morning now instead of tomorrow morning so hopfully the Monday flight doesn't get cancelled. I was able to keep my FD too!

While I would feel safe at Disney & know they will do their best to take care of their guests, I can't imagine what cast members will be going thru. Worrying about their families & homes. Working extra hours & days in stressful situations & doing everything they can to keep resort guests sake & cared for. All while worrying about their own families & homes. I just can't imagine.

Again, I think it was well stated a few posts back. If you work in hospitals, police departments, fire departments, and yes, hotels, then this comes with the territory. The hotels at Disney become far more than places tourists inhabit at a time like this. They become refuges for residents as well. You can't expect to get time off in the hotel industry during a time when people most certainly need hotel rooms.

Why are people picturing the guests who stay at Disney World this weekend as riding Dumbo during a hurricane? Taking shelter in a well-built hotel that takes the safety of their guests very seriously could be considered a reasonable choice.

I know I read this somewhere on this thread, but can't find it now....Does anyone know how many MPH winds the Disney Imagineers built their structures to withstand after Andrew?

I would care so much more about survival and avoiding property loss/damage than a discounted hotel rate...
gosh I feel so bad for the CM's who need to be home with their families...

Ok... this can be looked at in many ways. It could be a very good thing for some. A good friend of mine's father works at the Contemporary. He is scheduled to work on Sunday, but he is hoping they tell him he doesn't have to come in. Since he refuses to leave and go stay with her, my friend is trying like heck to convince him that all he should be doing that day is working. He is a senior citizen and does not have shutters. She for one would be able to sleep much easier if she knew her father was at work.

This is the weekend we would normally be going to Disney. But since we have a trip in December with our DS & DDIL & were also there in May, we were already skipping September this year. So thankfully I didn't have to make the go or cancel decision.

I have never been in a hurricane but have lived thru several blizzards & severe ice storms. (Seven feet of snow in 24 hours for one storm). I have been stuck at work & also at home. I know how it feels to be at work & worrying about what is going on at home. And with a blizzard, at least I knew my house would still be there after the storm stopped. But it is still a worry & stressful. And I know how awful you feel not making it to work, knowing you have coworkers there for a day or 2 without relief.

While I would feel safe at Disney & know they will do their best to take care of their guests, I can't imagine what cast members will be going thru. Worrying about their families & homes. Working extra hours & days in stressful situations & doing everything they can to keep resort guests sake & cared for. All while worrying about their own families & homes. I just can't imagine.

If I was planning a trip this weekend, I would definitely reschedule. I would just not want to be an extra burden to cast members who will be doing their best to keep stranded patrons fed & safe. I know the tourist industry is vital to the economy of central Florida, so rescheduling will still put money into the area without putting more pressure on the limited resources & infrastructure.

Prayers to all in Irma's way. May you all be safe.

ah you must be from Buffalo, the 7ft in 1 day is hard to forget :scared: well, technically we got lucky with "only" 4 feet

Hi all....praying for everyone's safety and praying for this storm to loose a lot of steam! For a first world question, I just added the early check-in onto our flight out of Indy Wednesday morning(were flying with southwest). I've never used the early check in before, and I'm hoping that we will actually be able to get out on the flight because almost every flight out of Indy is sold out from Tuesday to Friday. Does southwest only sell so many early check in's or did I just waste money? Thanks...again praying for everyone's safety!

Edit: if I need to post this in transportation I will...sorry!

Sorry if this was already answered for you, but this thread moves so fast that it's hard to sort through everything AND keep up. We are out of Indy tomorrow on Southwest and paid for early check-in for the first time on this trip. I love it, no more sitting at the computer exactly 24 hours in advance to be able to board at a decent time. We got in the A's and we will probably do early bird check in every time now. So don't think it was a total waste :) I can't answer your other question of if they only sell so many per flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter